ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Aragona to transfer portal

This is pretty unfortunate. Although, I think it says a lot about our current roster.

This might be a harsh take and frankly none of my business (just an observation from afar), but based on social media, it really didn't appear that his heart was with the sport. Nearly every post he made since he joined has been about his girlfriend or his name and not putting in the work. Again, maybe he just doesn't post workouts, but nearly every elite wrestler does.

Does this in any shape or form make RU look bad or is this just a testament of how far the program has come? I do think White will end up being the real deal. We've got a lot of talent in the room.

Last edited:
To my point, this was his dad's response (via: The Wrestling Room). I would have loaded the screenshot, but can't.

"It's funny how the assumption is he is leaving cause he is not starting or he sees the writing on the wall! There is no doubt if he wanted the spot he would of got the spot! When the flame is out it's out! I would be surprised if he wrestles a competitive match ever again, unless he finds that love for the sport again."

To my point, this was his dad's response (via: The Wrestling Room). I would have loaded the screenshot, but can't.

"It's funny how the assumption is he is leaving cause he is not starting or he sees the writing on the wall! There is no doubt if he wanted the spot he would of got the spot! When the flame is out it's out! I would be surprised if he wrestles a competitive match ever again, unless he finds that love for the sport again."
Then it’s odd he is in the transfer portal.

Rumor has it he has not spoken to his dad in almost 2 years. Not sure if he knows everything happening.

I kind of bashed the kid in the past, and like others was extremely disappointed in the hype. I knew early on , that he wasn't going to make it here. You can just tell there was no sense of urgency and the looks on his face just said it all. Controversial or not, I know wrestling. Been around it my whole life, wrestled for Rutgers,and have had teammates just like this who ended up exactly the same way. If he's that absorbed with a girlfriend, it doesn't matter where he transfers too, it'll be the same scenario. On a good note ,it will free up some money for other recruits. Not to bring bad Tidings, but I'm seeing very similar facial expressions with Clarke. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I kind of bashed the kid in the past, and like others was extremely disappointed in the hype. I knew early on , that he wasn't going to make it here. You can just tell there was no sense of urgency and the looks on his face just said it all. Controversial or not, I know wrestling. Been around it my whole life, wrestled for Rutgers,and have had teammates just like this who ended up exactly the same way. If he's that absorbed with a girlfriend, it doesn't matter where he transfers too, it'll be the same scenario. On a good note ,it will free up some money for other recruits. Not to bring bad Tidings, but I'm seeing very similar facial expressions with Clarke. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I'll give you credit, you did call it a while back...

Reactions: gogs7
Facial expressions are now a predictor of success or devotion to wrestling? So is Sammy Alvarez a cool cat on the mat or is he a disinterested soul who is destined for failure Crackers?

Is there a link to this? Was it in a forum? Twitter? Something else? Thanks

Facial expressions are now a predictor of success or devotion to wrestling? So is Sammy Alvarez a cool cat on the mat or is he a disinterested soul who is destined for failure Crackers?
You're going to tell me that Sammy Alvarez's laser focused facial expressions are the same as Aragona's bewildered ones? My friend if you could justify the comparisons you're a better man than me. If not,you don't know the sport of wrestling.

I'll give you credit, you did call it a while back...
I'm not going to pat myself on the back, because there's a couple of people just sweating with their keyboard fingers ready to come at me. But I called it with Suriano, Camp and Cooperman leaving. The only one that I was halfway wrong with,was my shitliner/shatliner. And the only reason why that is, is because he got confronted by family and coaching and was basically browbeat into staying at Cornell. I should have never leaked the news in the first place. I caught a lot of crap for from my confidant. Anyway that's old news. Point is, is that unless you or someone blind to the fact, you can see which wrestler is not 100% there

• Haha
Reactions: gogs7 and Leonard23
I'm not going to pat myself on the back, because there's a couple of people just sweating with their keyboard fingers ready to come at me. But I called it with Suriano, Camp and Cooperman leaving. The only one that I was halfway wrong with,was my shitliner/shatliner. And the only reason why that is, is because he got confronted by family and coaching and was basically browbeat into staying at Cornell. I should have never leaked the news in the first place. I caught a lot of crap for from my confidant. Anyway that's old news. Point is, is that unless you or someone blind to the fact, you can see which wrestler is not 100% there

Goodell sort of said it without naming the wrestlers on that one podcast when he said that he can't force wrestlers to compete in open tournaments. Though I was under the impression that he was hurt. My gut told me that he wasn't in it during last year, when he didn't compete once or in any off-season tournaments. I think the time off with a crazy covid season changed his priorities.

Same thing happened with several wrestlers: Busiello, Joey Silva and Kinner. Hopefully, Jojo isn't done for good, but like his dad said, when the flame is out, it's out.

On the bright side, this definitely opens up a lot for scholarship usage. I'd rather the team give it to someone who has a burning desire to succeed.

The past 24 hours has been crazy as an RU Wrestling fan.

Last edited:
Goodell sort of said it without naming the wrestlers on that one podcast when he said that he can't force wrestlers to compete in open tournaments. Though I was under the impression that he was hurt. My gut told me that he wasn't in it during last year, when he didn't compete once or in any off-season tournaments. I think the time off with a crazy covid season changed his priorities.

Same thing happened with several wrestlers: Busiello, Joey Silva and Kinner. Hopefully, Jojo isn't done for good, but like his dad said, when the flame is out, it's out.

On the bright side, this definitely opens up a lot for scholarship usage. I'd rather the team give it to someone who has a burning desire to succeed.

The past 24 hours has been crazy as an RU Wrestling fan.
I think after the Adam busiello match, he felt a lot of pressure to be the next suriano type wrestler. I got to admit he looked amazing in that match, I'm thinking we got a real deal bonafide , All-American as a freshman on our hands . but I think he got as far as he could mentally. The physical components were always there. But if a wrestler is mentally shot that's the end. Some kids achieved a lot in high school, and feel obligated that they have to do that at the next level. Like Camp, he came from a divorced/ single parent household. That really does affect kids. I've seen it Time After Time with kids who are that level coming from divorced families. They have a lot of support in high school but when they go to college they don't have that same support. At least when the parents are married , there's that dual component of a mother and a father. I could be wrong there have been others that come from that environment who have been extremely successful, but the likelihood is usually Slim

I think after the Adam busiello match, he felt a lot of pressure to be the next suriano type wrestler. I got to admit he looked amazing in that match, I'm thinking we got a real deal bonafide , All-American as a freshman on our hands . but I think he got as far as he could mentally. The physical components were always there. But if a wrestler is mentally shot that's the end. Some kids achieved a lot in high school, and feel obligated that they have to do that at the next level. Like Camp, he came from a divorced/ single parent household. That really does affect kids. I've seen it Time After Time with kids who are that level coming from divorced families. They have a lot of support in high school but when they go to college they don't have that same support. At least when the parents are married , there's that dual component of a mother and a father. I could be wrong there have been others that come from that environment who have been extremely successful, but the likelihood is usually Slim
Yeah I agree and if that statement above is correct (hasn't talked to his dad in years) then I'm sure that had a lot to do with his dedication to the sport.

There was definitely a lot of pressure on Jojo. But he also added to it. He let his ego get involved. After Suriano and Ashnault won, he was making comments on how he'll be next national champ and stuff. He needed to wrestle his freshmen year. I still think that was handled very poorly on everyone's part, but that's in the past now and I think the coaches have adjusted (i.e. white/oliveri).

If Jojo does wrestle again I suspect he wants to find a new place where he's the bigger fish. He seems to be all about his NIL opportunities and that won't manifest into anything if he's a backup.

His dad hit the nail on the head which says it all. I spoke for about 39 minutes s month or so ago with JoJo and his girlfriend over a month ago at the Ru wrestling Tailgate. He was very cordial but I could tell the two of them are s strong couple living together and that is a tough this time overcome with a brutal sport like wrestling. I wish them both the best of luck in their relationship and hope JoJo regains that spark and love for the sport. He is a nice young man and if he is not into it, I hope he does not do it just to do it because it is expected of him. God speed.

His dad hit the nail on the head which says it all. I spoke for about 39 minutes s month or so ago with JoJo and his girlfriend over a month ago at the Ru wrestling Tailgate. He was very cordial but I could tell the two of them are s strong couple living together and that is a tough this time overcome with a brutal sport like wrestling. I wish them both the best of luck in their relationship and hope JoJo regains that spark and love for the sport. He is a nice young man and if he is not into it, I hope he does not do it just to do it because it is expected of him. God speed.
Bill, I'm going to call now that he'll never wrestle again. He may latch on to some d3 school that will not have any nil funds for him, and living with a girl is a very bad move for any wrestler. I think Iowa is the only team that ever makes it work, because most of those wrestlers marry another wrestler sister on the team. the same with camp giving that I want to be a national champ speech... didn't believe it from him and nor did I believe it from Jojo. I hope he finds success, but given the latest events and the past year-and-a-half I don't see him ever being successful wrestling in College. By the way I'm not being a downer on him I just have seen this scenario so many times. Definitely one of our biggest waste of money, with respect to scholarships.

Something doesn't add up IMO. If he truly lost his love for the sport (which is fine and it happens) and doesn't want to compete, why enter the transfer portal? Unless he is looking to land somewhere at a much lower level (D3) where he doesn't have to train so hard and just go out there to compete, it doesn't make sense.

If that is the case, it's an absolute disaster waiting to happen because it doesn't work like that at any level. Hopefully he has someone he can trust in his ear trying to guide him away from such a situation. It would be much easier/smarter to quit wrestling all together, stay in school at RU, live with your girl, and get your degree in only a few more semesters.

Last edited:
Reactions: njsportsphan
Something doesn't add up IMO. If he truly lost his love for the sport (which is fine and it happens) and doesn't want to compete, why enter the transfer portal? Unless he is looking to land somewhere at a much lower level (D3) where he doesn't have to train so hard and just go out there to compete, it doesn't make sense.

If that is the case, it's an absolute disaster waiting to happen because it doesn't work like that at any level. Hopefully he has someone he can trust in his ear trying to guide him away from such a situation. It would be much easier/smarter to quit wrestling all together, stay in school at RU, live with your girl, and get your degree in only a few more semesters.
I'm just aggravated at him and the coaching staff for dragging it on this long. I mean if The Tell-Tale signs are after the first year, cut it off immediately. Don't drag it on for 3 years and waste money that could have gone to a kid who actually wants to be successful. I don't know how long it takes for somebody to think about something. It shouldn't take 3 years

Reactions: njsportsphan

Maybe someone will offer him scholarship money. He still has to pay for school if he wants to stay in school.

My guess is that’s what he does ..saw this coming awhile ago ..he won’t wrestle again !

When you have family issues and now a girlfriend who you live with It’s just not conducive to also have your heart in wrestling ...the portal thing I believe is a mirage ..he won’t wrestle again !

I could see Jojo getting picked up by a small D1 School ( American, George Mason. Lock Haven ) and obviously Rider to hope he can regain the passion

Here's what she had to say:

" Differences aside, the flame isn’t out. I can assure you of that. If that were the case, why would he leave to go & wrestle somewhere else? Why wouldn’t he just stay at Rutgers and be a backup? Im not sure you know all the details and there is a lot I can’t share. But he will wrestle a competitive match again. It would be dumb if he let his talent go to waste. He wants to prove a point, to quite a lot of people. & that’s all the fire you need for a flame.
Also maybe for him, it’ll feel better to beat someone in front of hundreds even thousands, instead of just in the practice room."

Wish it worked out at RU but wish him the best wherever he ends up.
Pretty much this.

His rise in the prospect rankings out of high school was pretty quick and he probably was a little overrated by that one year just to start. Then you take a quiet kid a beat him up for a year and it probably killed his mentality and confidence.

Hope he’s successful wherever he ends up. We’ll always have that match when he beat Lipari in TB-2 at Rider. Arganon!

" Differences aside, the flame isn’t out. I can assure you of that. If that were the case, why would he leave to go & wrestle somewhere else? Why wouldn’t he just stay at Rutgers and be a backup? Im not sure you know all the details and there is a lot I can’t share. But he will wrestle a competitive match again. It would be dumb if he let his talent go to waste. He wants to prove a point, to quite a lot of people. & that’s all the fire you need for a flame.
Also maybe for him, it’ll feel better to beat someone in front of hundreds even thousands, instead of just in the practice room."

Who is she?

Who is "she"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT