ADVERTISEMENT

Are Bowls Dying?

Can the NIL money be tied to bowl participation? I get opting out for the NFL, but not for the transfer portal. If you don't play because you are transferring you shouldn't get paid.

Crowds at 1pm bowl games today were not well attended. I don’t remember that being the case In prior years.
Are the opt outs and or other considerations having a detrimental impact ?

Can the NIL money be tied to bowl participation? I get opting out for the NFL, but not for the transfer portal. If you don't play because you are transferring you shouldn't get paid.
that's the part I don't get as you're still part of the team till you leave. Nil has to have provisions for this I'd imagine. Opting for nfl I get, no issue there

Kirby Smart really impressed me with his comments. He seems to genuinely care about the game, the kids, opponents and more. Seems like a decent guy

Reactions: The RUT

The bowls could pay players to do promotional pieces for sponsors and the game itself. I’m pretty sure the conference could pay them to do promotional pieces as well.

RU Cheese shares his forward-looking perspective on bowls becoming less important and the board goes crazy - ratings are good, TV makes money, etc.

Saban, MacAfee and others say same thing... geniuses.
In my defense, I also said bowls suck and they’re going to change in the near future.

Reactions: RU Cheese
I think there is increasingly going to be poor attendance in most cases (there will be exceptions due to circumstances of the teams involved). I also think there will be less viewership (tv) as more starting players opt out of the bowl games. Is there really going to be interest if 10 or 12 starters aren’t playing? The Orange Bowl this year was a debacle and terrible. 5 or 10 years ago a 13-0 FSU vs a 12-1 Georgia would have been a huge Orange Bowl game with a sellout crowd and one of the biggest games of the year for ESPN. This year it was a pathetic, worthless exhibition.

I think there is increasingly going to be poor attendance in most cases (there will be exceptions due to circumstances of the teams involved). I also think there will be less viewership (tv) as more starting players opt out of the bowl games. Is there really going to be interest if 10 or 12 starters aren’t playing? The Orange Bowl this year was a debacle and terrible. 5 or 10 years ago a 13-0 FSU vs a 12-1 Georgia would have been a huge Orange Bowl game with a sellout crowd and one of the biggest games of the year for ESPN. This year it was a pathetic, worthless exhibition.
Florida State should have declined the invite then, if their players didn't give a ahit.

...but the money, right?

Florida State should have declined the invite then, if their players didn't give a ahit.

...but the money, right?
they were contractually obligated to go. Boosters offered to pay the amount to the league but the admin/Norvell said it's a go. I wish we had that kind of support with our boosters!

they were contractually obligated to go. Boosters offered to pay the amount to the league but the admin/Norvell said it's a go. I wish we had that kind of support with our boosters!
When the money is good, it all of a sudden becomes a contractual obligation. I've yet to actually see where it says that a school selected to a minor bowl must attend. Schools used to decline bowls more frequently in the past. And we also somehow cannot contractually bind players (employees) to play; they can opt out but the schools cannot? I don't buy it.

When the money is good, it all of a sudden becomes a contractual obligation. I've yet to actually see where it says that a school selected to a minor bowl must attend. Schools used to decline bowls more frequently in the past. And we also somehow cannot contractually bind players (employees) to play; they can opt out but the schools cannot? I don't buy it.
I'm not the commish lol

So what happens in 2024 if you make the playoffs as a lower seeded team and have to play on the campus of the higher seeded team and then lose, you're out but didn't get to go to a bowl game?? Let's use Iowa/Tennesse as an example. Assume Iowa is ranked higher. then instead of playing in the Citrus Bowl and going to Orlando for a week, Tennessee gets to go to Iowa City in the winter?? How about if Rutgers can get to the playoffs, like Liberty. No Fiesta Bowl, just a trip to Oregon?

As far as Herbstreit, I'm sure our guys enjoyed our "meaningless bowl game" in NYC, or Arizona/Vegas/Nashville if we had gone there. He's only looking at it through the OSU lens of national champs or bust.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT