ADVERTISEMENT

Army Navy game uniforms revealed.

I know in the case of Army and Navy, there are other things going on with these uniforms in terms of sub-affiliations within those branches of the service, but even still, I'll never understand why teams would ever take on their traditional arch rival wearing anything but your traditional, go-to uniform. This goes for any school in any sport.

I know in the case of Army and Navy, there are other things going on with these uniforms in terms of sub-affiliations within those branches of the service, but even still, I'll never understand why teams would ever take on their traditional arch rival wearing anything but your traditional, go-to uniform. This goes for any school in any sport.
It's a celebration of the game, the rivalry and a big honor by the players especially the seniors to have a special uniform for the Army Navy game. It is a loud statement that this game IS special. Their rivalry is much different than any other. For 4 years it's either Beat Army or Beat Navy. Once they all graduate you are on the same team together. I wont argue with you about regular colleges but if you don't think this is special and special to those involved or inappropriate I'm telling you are way off base. Talk with someone from either academy and I'm sure you will change your viewpoint.

It's a celebration of the game, the rivalry and a big honor by the players especially the seniors to have a special uniform for the Army Navy game. It is a loud statement that this game IS special. Their rivalry is much different than any other. For 4 years it's either Beat Army or Beat Navy. Once they all graduate you are on the same team together. I wont argue with you about regular colleges but if you don't think this is special and special to those involved or inappropriate I'm telling you are way off base. Talk with someone from either academy and I'm sure you will change your viewpoint.
No, I get that and I understand the dynamics around it. It is different. But they managed to play each other for generations without any of this and the games looked unbelievably good. I'm not a "get off my lawn" type, but this is something that will always bug me. Why not just adorn their classic uniform with the various affiliations/badges/etc.? Why create a whole other look that doesn't resemble your actual uniform/brand/visual identity?

Reactions: WhiteBus
No, I get that and I understand the dynamics around it. It is different. But they managed to play each other for generations without any of this and the games looked unbelievably good. I'm not a "get off my lawn" type, but this is something that will always bug me. Why not just adorn their classic uniform with the various affiliations/badges/etc.? Why create a whole other look that doesn't resemble your actual uniform/brand/visual identity?
Before the uniforms there were just special helmets, before that patches on the uniforms. So they have had something special for as long as I've been going to the game. (Late 80s) I think they look great most years. I love this year's of both teams a lot.

Reactions: SHUSource
I know this is not Rutgers related, so my apologies if this post offends anyone - not my intention. Just thought it would be worth viewing.

Navy and NASA? All you did was pick up the fvcking capsule? The Coast Guard could have handled that. 😁

GO ARMY!
They were picking up Navy guys that flew into space. Like Alan Shepard and Neil Armstrong. Apparently Army personnel are afraid of heights. 😅

Reactions: koleszar
Hogwash . It’s not like they always played in alternate uniforms in this game , this didn’t start until 2008. It’s a relatively new tradition. I don’t think there was anything wrong with what they did prior to 2008

It adds to the pageantry if the game - my boys always look forward to the uniform unveiling. It’s on our bucket list to attend this game.

Hogwash . It’s not like they always played in alternate uniforms in this game , this didn’t start until 2008. It’s a relatively new tradition. I don’t think there was anything wrong with what they did prior to 2008
Why you so mad? Did I say this was going on forever?? 14 years ago is not a blink of an eye and helmets and patches were before that. What is your issue with them? Air Force fan??

Lol I am not mad. The new uniforms are cool , but I also think playing in your traditional uniforms is cool too
So you disagree this is a special game? Don't believe the players love it? I've seen former players from both Academies wear their Senior jerseys at the game and only at this game. It is amazing to watch them interact years later. It is not only special to them but special to those before them to see them up close.

So you disagree this is a special game? Don't believe the players love it? I've seen former players from both Academies wear their Senior jerseys at the game and only at this game. It is amazing to watch them interact years later. It is not only special to them but special to those before them to see them up close.
Yes, but sadly the players before 2008 were screwed and don’t ever get the opportunity to wear their special jersey

Yes, but sadly the players before 2008 were screwed and don’t ever get the opportunity to wear their special jersey
They don't mind. That wasn't a thing back then. Nobody is upset. I am an invited guest to their tailgates (a class in the late 80s) for decades, they love it when anyone visits wearing one. Including one of their classmates son. Still don't know why it upsets you so much. Maybe come to Philly on the 10th. It's an experience you've never seen before. Starch rivals while at the Academies but great interactions between them before the game. Never saw a fight at the tailgates or at the game.

They don't mind. That wasn't a thing back then. Nobody is upset. I am an invited guest to their tailgates (a class in the late 80s) for decades, they love it when anyone visits wearing one. Including one of their classmates son. Still don't know why it upsets you so much. Maybe come to Philly on the 10th. It's an experience you've never seen before. Starch rivals while at the Academies but great interactions between them before the game. Never saw a fight at the tailgates or at the game.
It doesn’t upset me lol .
it’s the best game of the year.

It's their thing, not ours. Yes it is the best game of the year. Ever been? Can't explain how incredibly different it is. A great day.
Have not been . One year !
I heard it’s best to go to one in Philly and the bars are cool after.

Have not been . One year !
I heard it’s best to go to one in Philly and the bars are cool after.
Philly is best. Baltimore is very cool too. Better make it soon. No longer does Philly have 4 out of 5 in the upcoming schedule.

No better armored division than the 2nd, Hell on Wheels. Very easy for me to say that because my father served in that division for 3 years. That being said..................GO ARMY.

Reactions: WhiteBus

Blame apparel sponsor deals.
Army and AF have multiyear deals with Nike, and Navy deals with UA.
The A/N game uniforms are donated and part of the year-round sponsor contracts.
Many people assume the government funds academy sports but private donations by academy athletic groups do most funding.
Thats why academy sports dont have to reveal their expenses for coaches etc.
I don't know what Army gets from Nike but I know for a lot of programs the contracts are in the millions (Michigan had most lucrative deal for 170 million over 15 years from Nike).

Many players, fans, service units like the recognition and hoopla .
The various divisions get their moment in the spotlight.
I'm not neccesarily for sponsor logos on the uniforms but things are what they are with the contracts

Last edited:
Blame apparel sponsor deals.
Army and AF have multiyear deals with Nike, and Navy deals with UA.
The A/N game uniforms are donated and part of the year-round sponsor contracts.
Many people assume the government funds academy sports but private donations by academy athletic groups do most funding.
Thats why acadedmy sports dont have to reveal their expenses for coaches etc.
I don't know what Army gets from Nike but I know for a lot of programs the contracts are in the millions (Michigan had most lucrative deal for 170 million over 15 years from Nike).

Many players, fans, service units like the recognition and hoopla .
The various divisions get their moment in the spotlight.
I'm not neccesarily for sponsor logos on the uniforms but things are what they are with the contracts
That is interesting. So are the coaches federal employees ?

That is interesting. So are the coaches federal employees ?

Technically no - but a lot of things about academy sports are Byzantine.
West Point superindendent and AD can hire and fire coaches but Army West Point Athletic Association (AWPAA) pays salaries (AWPAA took in 50 million in 2020).
How these factions interact is not specifically open to public.

Players dont necesarily go through standard admission process either.
Superintendents have a number of discretionary apointments that can be used for athletes desired by coaches.
USMA used to still be fussy about them but Monken got them to let their hair down (you could know Army would get better when their academic issues grew lol).
Some academy players have physical requirements specific to their services but those can be waved when desired.
Navy always had a lot of 300+lb players due to "medical exemptions" - a tactic Army wouldn't use but they learned to play that card after Monken hire.
As an aside, academy players also get paid like all others in service academies - but they have to pay for a lot of uniforms and such.
The capes cadets wear at A/N games are leased and cadets have to pay a small amount for them

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
Technically no - but a lot of things about academy sports are Byzantine.
West Point superindendent and AD can hire and fire coaches but Army West Point Athletic Association (AWPAA) pays salaries (AWPAA took in 50 million in 2020).
How these factions interact is not specifically open to public.

Players dont necesarily go through general admissions either.
Superintendents have a number of discretionary apointments that can be used for athletes desired by coaches.
USMA used to still be fussy about them but Monken got them to let their hair down (you could know Army would get better when their academic issues grew lol).
Some academy players have physical requirements specific to their services but those can be waved when desired.
Navy always had a lot of 300+lb players due to "medical exemptions" - a tactic Army wouldn't use but they learned to play that card after Monken hire.
As an aside, academy players also get paid like all others in service academies - but they have to pay for a lot of uniforms and such.
The capes cadets wear at A/N games are leased and cadets have to pay a small amount for them
Interesting . Good stuff and info here .
I learned some things !

I do remember hearing the physical requirements were a problem at army as many players were losing too much weight in season. This negatively effected football performance.

Reactions: ashokan
Interesting . Good stuff and info here .
I learned some things !

I do remember hearing the physical requirements were a problem at army as many players were losing too much weight in season. This negatively effected football performance.

Army was the hold-out
Ten years ago Army players were very small for most part
They had a starting MLB listed at 6' 205lbs but I think they added a few pounds because I stood next to him (he was in pads) and he seemed 195lbs (he was a saftey basically).
A big OL at Army was 260-70 and never any 300lb players (Navy would have six).
Army's size has increased dramatically with Monken - they look like a D1 team now.
I had a relative go to USMA with a superintendent's appointment for sports so I got some inside persectives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT