ADVERTISEMENT

Navy / Hopkins

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Navy has been getting blown out by average teams but has held Hopkins scoreless for 18 minutes. Down 1 at the half. The more lacrosse I see the more it seems there are no teams head and shoulders above others. Hopkins was the hottest team for a quick minute but they look very pedestrian tonight against an unranked Navy team.

All tied now. Navy clearly has momentum on it's side. Hopkins is in a dogfight. Need Hopkins to get this.

Reactions: Wagram97
This is a very sloppy game. Hopkins down 1.

Hopkins looks dead. They could easily lose this game.

We need to run and run a lot on Hopkins. Their transition D is very suspect.

Like Loyola, you do not want to slide against Hopkins. They have some dudes but force them to beat you one on one. If you give up a few, fine. Do not let them start spinning the ball. They get out of sorts when they are forced to play hero ball.

Hopkins can't buy a goal. They've scored once since the end of the first quarter. There are 10 minutes left in the game.

Hopkins has tied it up. Their SSDM cheap shotted the Navy player on the face off with a butt end straight to the nuts. Egregious.

Overtime. This would be a really bad loss for Hopkins. Navy is 3-3 with blowouts against Penn St. and Towson and a loss to Lehigh.

The margins in lacrosse are smaller than they’ve ever been. Certainly some teams have more talent but if you don’t bring your A game you can lose to anyone on your schedule save the very bottom of D1

Hopkins offense looked lifeless. We need to play them defensively exactly how we played Loyola. Do not slide.

The margins in lacrosse are smaller than they’ve ever been. Certainly some teams have more talent but if you don’t bring your A game you can lose to anyone on your schedule save the very bottom of D1

Hopkins offense looked lifeless. We need to play them defensively exactly how we played Loyola. Do not slide.
Especially since our slides are….a work in progress

We just need to win different ways. We don't have the players of some of the schools we are competing with. Not right now.

22 we did. The more time goes by the more you realize how loaded that team was. These next two recruiting classes have more of those topline players. But you can never have too many. Not if you want to compete for championships.

Starting to feel like there will be some bid stealers come conference tournament time

Definitely the most open I’ve seen college lacrosse. There a a handful of teams with clearly more talent but the margins are smaller than ever across the board.

Reactions: biazza38
We just need to win different ways. We don't have the players of some of the schools we are competing with. Not right now.

22 we did. The more time goes by the more you realize how loaded that team was. These next two recruiting classes have more of those topline players. But you can never have too many. Not if you want to compete for championships.
That rope unit in 2022…, oh my were they good.

Throw in Francowiak who was an instant clear. Than the talent around them. In most other years a team like that is playing on Memorial Day. That team this year would be a strong contender for the trophy.

There were a lot of great athletes on that team, but from pure athletic standpoint, I'm not sure there was anyone more athletic than him. He was beast out there. Groundballs, one on one, you name it.

One kid I've had my eye on is Zeller. He got banged up and is out for a bit but you are going to see him play that two way role we love to have. He's very athletic, big, and has a real offensive game.

That rope unit in 2022…, oh my were they good.
Franko, Kamish, Coyne, Daninger…

Rutgers has had other very good / great Rope guys over the years but those 4 together were very unique…

And yes, I know I’m a little biased.

I’ve always said that you CANNOT win with an average or bad set of shorties…good rope units make teams exponentially better

Not to go to far down memory lane as we need to focus on our current team and root for a win over Hop this week, but as it relates to that 22 team. Remember this…

They were 15-4 that year

The 4 losses were to

2 losses to Maryland - National Champ - generational team - undefeated - in discussion for best team in last 25 years

1 loss to Princeton - Final Four team - very good Princeton team…actually great team

1 loss to Cornell - National Runner Up - We lost to them on Championship weekend…

All our losses were to team playing the last weekend of the year…

Definitely the most open I’ve seen college lacrosse. There a a handful of teams with clearly more talent but the margins are smaller than ever across the board.
It'd be nice if USC and/or Oregon can start a men's team now that both are incoming B1G schools. Grow the game on the West Coast.

It'd be nice if USC and/or Oregon can start a men's team now that both are incoming B1G schools. Grow the game on the West Coast.

Tough to do on the West Coast, though Utah seems to be succeeding. Except for them and Denver travel is a real problem for USC and Oregon. Two other possibilities. Don't remember exactly when, but Michigan State at one point had a team. Northwestern has the money and would be another possibility.

Tough to do on the West Coast, though Utah seems to be succeeding. Except for them and Denver travel is a real problem for USC and Oregon. Two other possibilities. Don't remember exactly when, but Michigan State at one point had a team. Northwestern has the money and would be another possibility.
The problem for any school looking to add any men's lacrosse team is Title IX. Schools are required to have an approximately equal number of sports scholarships for men and women, so if you add a men's sport, you either need to cut another men's sport or add a women's sport (or add to the number of scholarships within an existing women's sport, if allowed by NCAA regs).

The problem for any school looking to add any men's lacrosse team is Title IX. Schools are required to have an approximately equal number of sports scholarships for men and women, so if you add a men's sport, you either need to cut another men's sport or add a women's sport (or add to the number of scholarships within an existing women's sport, if allowed by NCAA regs).

Northwestern already has an excellent women's team. Not sure what the numbers are for the entire athletic program, but I think they have the potential to come into compliance if they are not already.

Northwestern already has an excellent women's team. Not sure what the numbers are for the entire athletic program, but I think they have the potential to come into compliance if they are not already.
I'm no Title IX expert, but I think the requirement is equality in sports scholarships across all sports. Presumably Northwestern is in compliance NOW, but if they were to add men's lax, that would take them out of compliance.

Duke Syracuse. Ooof. Duke has 3 goals through 3 quarters with a slew of horrible turnovers. Dino is a Rutgers guy but all that crazy talent and they put up 3 goals? That's a coaching issue.

10-4 final. Looked at the box and Mark had a 76% save rate. But Duke dominated faceoffs. And explain O'Neill scoring 1 goal on 11 shots.

Oh, and BTW, in 10 games Syracuse has played 8 at home and 2 at neutral sites

10-4 final. Looked at the box and Mark had a 76% save rate. But Duke dominated faceoffs. And explain O'Neill scoring 1 goal on 11 shots.

Oh, and BTW, in 10 games Syracuse has played 8 at home and 2 at neutral sites
They're scared to play outside their little dome until it's at least 65 degrees outside.

Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT