ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Has anyone watched the Air Force offense this year?

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Is this the most exciting offense in the country? Has anyone watched any of their games?
They are 7-0 and ranked 19th in the AP Poll.

Looking at some of their stats and it's astounding.
All they do is run the ball and control the clock.
Plays Percentage: 91% rush (Navy is #2 at 72.63%)
Yards Percentage: 77.14% rushing (Navy is #2 at 69.08%)
Rush attempts per game: 58.2 (Liberty is #2 with 48.6 attempts)
Seconds per play: 32.6 seconds (Michigan is #132 at 31.1 seconds)
Average TOP: 34:39 (Liberty is #2 with 34:18)

But when they do pass the entire stadium must hold their breath.
It will either be for 2 yards or 60 yards.

Pass attempts per game: 5 (Navy is #132 with 15.3 attempts)
Completions per game: 3.7 (Navy is #132 with 7.2 completions)
Completion percentage: 73.33% #5 in the country
Passing yards per game: 87.3 (Navy is #132 with 89.2 yards)

Yards per pass attempt: 17.5 (LSU is #2 with 11.0)
Yards per completion: 23.8 (Liberty is #2 with 17.0)
Average Team Passer Rating: 264.1 (LSU is #2 with 191.7)

Robert Morris: 2/3 95yards 1 TD (long 84 yards!)
Sam Houston St: 1/3 14yards (long 14 yards)
Utah State: 3/4 84 yards (long 49 yards)
San Jose State: 2/2 28 yards (long 22 yards)
San Diego State: 6/7 189 yards 2 TD (long 54 yards)
Wyoming: 6/9 58 yards 1 TD (long 19 yards)
Navy: 4/5 151 yards 1 TD (long 94 yards!)

Season Total: 24/33 72.7%, 619 yards, 5TDs, 0 INTs

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/yards-per-completion
Note - these stats and rankings are only games between FBS teams (no FBS-FCS games).

I have always loved watching option football. From Oklahoma during the Billy Sims era to Nebraska under Turner Gill and now the academies. Air Force is really entertaining to watch and probably the most underrated team in the country. Nobody would want to face them - and that includes Georgia, Bama, Michigan OSU etc...

Reactions: Knight Shift
Woo-hoo a G5 team running a 1970's offense against Western Scrub U competition. If it is so great, why did Georgia Tech give it up, given their "success" with it?

I’m guessing the OL is undersized and mostly chop blocks at the LOS.
Edit: They actually have a relatively big OL and only chop block on the weak side …away from the point of attack to hinder pursuit.
Their QB is a really good runner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Teams that run the option well are very entertaining - no endless three and outs from mediocre offenses pretending to run pro offense. Its easy to lose track of the ball because the offenses play low (QB under center is at paint can hieght) and there's a lot of abracadabra in ball handling.

The option is best vs teams that dont see it a lot. Scout teams cant run it the way a real option team does so it takes a half for opponents to get dialed-in. Greg was always particularly good at beat option and he was seeing it once or twice a year between Army and Navy.

Army had to get away from full option because of rule changes. I have't watched AF yet so I'll see what they do vs Army. Army and Navy like each other despite the rivaly. Air Force is the one teams dont like and especially Army.

W6IfkPW.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: winfield102
Teams that run the option well are very entertaining - no endless three and outs from mediocre offenses prtending to run pro offense. Its easy to lose track of the ball because the offenses play low (QB under center is at paint can hieght) and there's a lot of abracadabra in ball handling.

The option is best vs teams that dont see it a lot. Scout teams cant run it the way a real option team does so it takes a half for opponents to get dialed-in. Greg was always particularly good at beat option and he was seeing it once or twice a year between Army and Navy.

Army had to get away from full option because of rule changes. I have't watched AF yet so I'll see what they do vs Army. Army and Navy like each other despite the rivaly. Air Force is the one teams dont like and especially Army.

W6IfkPW.gif
That's why I thought Army MIGHT be able to give LSU some early issues. So thought for a while about taking Army and the points in my parlay. Didn't happen though. They got destroyed 66-0.

Reactions: miket007
Getting back to the original topic, sort of, I think one of the strangest things I have seen during my years on this board was the reaction following Saturday's win. I almost felt like we lost reading some of these passing stat threads.

Getting back to the original topic, sort of, I think one of the strangest things I have seen during my years on this board was the reaction following Saturday's win. I almost felt like we lost reading some of these passing stat threads.
IDK, this board never ceases to amaze. In one of the threads, I told someone to "See Iowa." That was before they lost, and of course, I got zinged after they lost to Minnesota.

The reality is the B1G is a defense first conference.
Not a criterion other than made up -120 or more points scored in conference games (that's 24-30 points/game):

ACC- 4 teams with 120 or more points scored this season
Big 12- 6 tams with 120 or more points scored this season (and 3 with 117 plus)
SEC- 7 teams with 120 or more points scored this season
PAC 12- 5 teams with 120 or more points scored this season
B1G- 2 teams with 120 or more points scored this season (guess who?)

Some would argue it is a boring brand of football. Of course scoring more points and having a passing game is important.

IDK, this board never ceases to amaze. In one of the threads, I told someone to "See Iowa." That was before they lost, and of course, I got zinged after they lost to Minnesota.

The reality is the B1G is a defense first conference.
Not a criterion other than made up -120 or more points scored in conference games (that's 24-30 points/game):

ACC- 4 teams with 120 or more points scored this season
Big 12- 6 tams with 120 or more points scored this season (and 3 with 117 plus)
SEC- 7 teams with 120 or more points scored this season
PAC 12- 5 teams with 120 or more points scored this season
B1G- 2 teams with 120 or more points scored this season (guess who?)

Some would argue it is a boring brand of football. Of course scoring more points and having a passing game is important.
Given what we have been through, I am enjoying boring wins.

I’m guessing the OL is undersized and mostly chop blocks at the LOS.
Edit: They actually have a relatively big OL and only chop block on the weak side …away from the point of attack to hinder pursuit.
Their QB is a really good runner.
I’ve mentioned this earlier in the year. They’ve changed the rules on cut blocking. Monken even mentioned he was tweaking the Army offense because of it.

From the article:

For all those reasons, Army still stuck with the option. But two days before its 2022 spring game, an NCAA ruling forced the Black Knights’ hand.

Monken found out via email that the organization’s playing rules oversight panel approved a proposal banning players from blocking below the waist outside the tackle box, allowing only lineman and stationary backs to do so inside the box on their initial blocking movement. The panel cited player safety as a reason, but Monken wonders whether that was the real reason and says tackles below the waist are much more dangerous that blocks, and there’s no way you’d outlaw them.

Monken says he was surprised at how much the new rules limited the offense.

“You can’t use a tackle and loop them and cut [defenders],” Monken says. “You can’t run the fullback out of the back field and cut. You can’t use the slot back and load them and cut them. All those blocks were effective from keeping the linebackers from getting out there, and everything we do is full flow under center.”

Is this the most exciting offense in the country? Has anyone watched any of their games?

Note - these stats and rankings are only games between FBS teams (no FBS-FCS games).
Are you new to watching college football?? Never watched the Military Academy's play??

Last edited:
I have always loved watching option football. From Oklahoma during the Billy Sims era to Nebraska under Turner Gill and now the academies. Air Force is really entertaining to watch and probably the most underrated team in the country. Nobody would want to face them - and that includes Georgia, Bama, Michigan OSU etc...
If Ohio St was that low in the ranking to play Air Force in a 12-team playoff, that is the exact team anyone would want to play. That offense is good for teams close in talent, but when you have guys that are bigger and faster than all your players it doesn't work out too well.

Rutgers would beat Air Force by 10.

That's why I thought Army MIGHT be able to give LSU some early issues. So thought for a while about taking Army and the points in my parlay. Didn't happen though. They got destroyed 66-0.

West Point and Army football are a mess so I wasn't surprised.
Blocking rules changes in 2022 forced a different style Army wasn't ready for.
The QB is a freshman and not too good.
A lot of players were in a cheating scandal a few years back.
A few more OD'ed on Fentanyl
The neo-Marxists took over and are wrecking the place with help from DC (civilians taking over military justice system so they can wreck it more).
The place will probably never be the same (like military in general)
Recruits were getting better over the years and instead of recruits with one D1 offer (Army) they were getting players with 3, 5, 7 offers.
Now many dont want to go to USMA of be in military
Monken is a really good coach and he can come-up with some new style of offense (RPO helps) but it might not be enough.

‘Find a Way to Win’: Jeff Monken, Army and the Pursuit of Modern Football Warfare​

I kind of enjoy defending a 6-2 record with 4 P5 and 1 G5 win. just saying

I’ve mentioned this earlier in the year. They’ve changed the rules on cut blocking. Monken even mentioned he was tweaking the Army offense because of it.

From the article:

For all those reasons, Army still stuck with the option. But two days before its 2022 spring game, an NCAA ruling forced the Black Knights’ hand.

Monken found out via email that the organization’s playing rules oversight panel approved a proposal banning players from blocking below the waist outside the tackle box, allowing only lineman and stationary backs to do so inside the box on their initial blocking movement. The panel cited player safety as a reason, but Monken wonders whether that was the real reason and says tackles below the waist are much more dangerous that blocks, and there’s no way you’d outlaw them.

Monken says he was surprised at how much the new rules limited the offense.

“You can’t use a tackle and loop them and cut [defenders],” Monken says. “You can’t run the fullback out of the back field and cut. You can’t use the slot back and load them and cut them. All those blocks were effective from keeping the linebackers from getting out there, and everything we do is full flow under center.”

I watched a little of Air Force’s offense vs Wyoming and I’m amazed their OL is as big as it is. Saw a few legal cut blocks but they have a bunch of 290+ lb dudes up front so moving people isn’t a problem and they have a really quick running QB so a seam or a defender not maintaining contain on the edge is all that is needed.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
West Point and Army football are a mess so I wasn't surprised.
Blocking rules changes in 2022 forced a different style Army wasn't ready for.
The QB is a freshman and not too good.
A lot of players were in a cheating scandal a few years back.
A few more OD'ed on Fentanyl
The neo-Marxists took over and are wrecking the place with help from DC (civilians taking over military justice system so they can wreck it more).
The place will probably never be the same (like military in general)
Recruits were getting better over the years and instead of recruits with one D1 offer (Army) they were getting players with 3, 5, 7 offers.
Now many dont want to go to USMA of be in military
Monken is a really good coach and he can come-up with some new style of offense (RPO helps) but it might not be enough.

‘Find a Way to Win’: Jeff Monken, Army and the Pursuit of Modern Football Warfare​

Another load of crap post - maybe try to keep the political BS out of sports threads...

Reactions: pele78

Service academy offense to a T.

If Ohio St was that low in the ranking to play Air Force in a 12-team playoff, that is the exact team anyone would want to play. That offense is good for teams close in talent, but when you have guys that are bigger and faster than all your players it doesn't work out too well.

Rutgers would beat Air Force by 10.

12 team? No need to wait.
Air Force might make the CFP this year.

I wonder how many people that said "Cincy deserves to be Top 4. Can blame them for their schedule. They beat everyone they played so far" swing their support behind unbeaten Air Force in the first CFP rankings next week.

12 team? No need to wait.
Air Force might make the CFP this year.

I wonder how many people that said "Cincy deserves to be Top 4. Can blame them for their schedule. They beat everyone they played so far" swing their support behind unbeaten Air Force in the first CFP rankings next week.
Air Force has a 0% chance of making the playoff this year. They might go to a new year's bowl though.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Seriously? Should we start allowing undefeated HS teams into the 12 team playoffs too??
I have no issues with the highest ranked G5 getting into a 12 team playoff. If they get blown out so what, many P5 team get blown out too and worst case it would be a 5-12 matchup as well. I like underdog stories and so do many CFB fans. It’s good for the sport to keep those teams involved with something to play for too.

Plus the sun belt has had formidable teams at times that are capable of taking out a P5. App St went into College Station and essentially bullied A&M. They took UNC down to the wire. Coastal has had a formidable team when Chadwell was there. Marshall beat ND. Troy was a capable team back when Neal Brown was there. So who knows what’s possible in any given year.

The JMU comment refers more to this year where they can’t qualify for a bowl at all, which also means a NY6 one if they happen to be the highest ranked G5 at the end of the year.

I have no issues with the highest ranked G5 getting into a 12 team playoff. If they get blown out so what, many P5 team get blown out too and worst case it would be a 5-12 matchup as well. I like underdog stories and so do many CFB fans. It’s good for the sport to keep those teams involved with something to play for too.

Plus the sun belt has had formidable teams at times that are capable of taking out a P5. App St went into College Station and essentially bullied A&M. They took UNC down to the wire. Coastal has had a formidable team when Chadwell was there. Marshall beat ND. Troy was a capable team back when Neal Brown was there. So who knows what’s possible in any given year.

The JMU comment refers more to this year where they can’t qualify for a bowl at all, which also means a NY6 one if they happen to be the highest ranked G5 at the end of the year.
Highest ranked. Like #25? Sorry that's just stupid!

I don't understand why anyone would want a gross mismatch. They aren't P5 so they don't qualify. What's next? Let the Ivies in??

Highest ranked. Like #25? Sorry that's just stupid!
Right now we have AF at 19, Tulane 22, JMU 25 in the AP.

CFP ranks will come out later and things can change but whatever the rank it’s fine with me.

Tulane was 16 in the final CFP ranking and beat USC last year. UCF has given a game to LSU when they were a G5.

Whatever the case blowouts or not, opportunity is important for G5 programs because it gives them a chance to improve themselves as programs and raise their profiles.

Utah, TCU, Cincy, UCF made New Years bowls and got chances to improve themselves, raise their profiles and eventually got into a P5 conference. I don’t expect any G5 getting into a P5 conference but they for sure can improve themselves and programs and raise their profiles and that’s a good thing. Having an opportunity is important.

I don't understand why anyone would want a gross mismatch. They aren't P5 so they don't qualify. What's next? Let the Ivies in??
You assume automatically it’s a gross mismatch. Some years it may be and others not. Tulane beat USC last year. UCF gave a game to LSU when they were G5.

The point is about having opportunity. Giving these schools the opportunity on a platform like the playoffs is a chance for them to improve their programs and raise their profiles even if they did get blown out.

Opportunity is a big deal.

Reactions: RU-05
Right now we have AF at 19, Tulane 22, JMU 25 in the AP.

CFP ranks will come out later and things can change but whatever the rank it’s fine with me.

Tulane was 16 in the final CFP ranking and beat USC last year. UCF has given a game to LSU when they were a G5.

Whatever the case blowouts or not, opportunity is important for G5 programs because it gives them a chance to improve themselves as programs and raise their profiles.

Utah, TCU, Cincy, UCF made New Years bowls and got chances to improve themselves, raise their profiles and eventually got into a P5 conference. I don’t expect any G5 getting into a P5 conference but they for sure can improve themselves and programs and raise their profiles and that’s a good thing. Having an opportunity is important.
You are really bad at math. Those teams got into the top 12. You want anyone that's undefeated no matter whether they are a P5. Stupid. It's like you want a double A team to have a chance to play in the MLB playoffs

You are really bad at math. Those teams got into the top 12. You want anyone that's undefeated no matter whether they are a P5. Stupid. It's like you want a double A team to have a chance to play in the MLB playoffs
Tulane was #16 last year and beat USC.

WMU was #15 when they got a NY6 and lost 24-16 to Wisc.

Houston was #18 and beat FSU in a NY6

Boise was #20 and beat Arizona in a NY6

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT