ADVERTISEMENT

Ash seems to have a plan that will work

rubjk

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2013
We have improved every aspect of our team and coaching staff except for maybe special teams.

He learns from his mistakes so if that doesn't improve Okruch might not be back.

There's hope we might be very respectable.

Washington might end up being the best team we play this year.

Agree with a lot of what you note, but Washington is less than Ohio State or State Penn. those two are better.

Reactions: read option
We have improved every aspect of our team and coaching staff except for maybe special teams.

He learns from his mistakes so if that doesn't improve Okruch might not be back.

There's hope we might be very respectable.

Washington might end up being the best team we play this year.
Ash's in game play calling is still suspect to me...his usage of timeouts (or leaving a time out on the board before the missed field goal)...and him seeming to call plays to not get blown out when a win was within reach...that needs improvement, in surprised Kill hasn't had a bit more impact on that...

I'm just glad he didn't take Bolin out for Gio or Lewis to ruin Bolin's rhythm in the middle of the game

I enjoyed the game and saw the great progress this team made. Play calling was too conservative and Bolin made some bad decisions. Overall a bounce here or there we could have won this game.,,,,

If the plan is conservative play, d scheme with pockets and poor coaching decisions then you're right

Yes, special teams were weak and need improvement, but....do you remember last year? They were atrocious in every way! At least we saw a kick-off hit the end zone and we punted farther than 30 yards. Hopefully Grant will get rid of the rust and become the reliable weapon he once was.

Coach Ash knows full well that we're 4 or 5 players away from beating teams like Washington soundly. Now getting those 4 or 5 kids is a completely different thread. Put it this way, add Britt, Rice and Underwood to yesterday's game and we win running away. By the way the defense played great.

Special teams were awful again. Now two years in a row. That's coaching which has to be improved. Punt return was the turning point of the game. Washington punter kept pinning us down near the goal line. Washington kickoffs afraid to kick to Grant and our wide receivers are catching the ball and taking a knee losing ten yards at a time. Washington field goal wonderful, ours not even close.

Nice effort by D and Offense was miles better than last year with a nice ground game. Hate losing a game on special teams which again is a coaching issue.

Last edited:
So we played the #8 team in the country and lost by 16. We turned it over twice and got no turnovers ourselves, started on our goal line twice and the 7 once and gave up a punt return for a TD. Seems to me the play calling did a spectacular job of keeping us in this game. You're never going to pull that upset without getting turnovers and great special teams play of which we got neither.

I agree. Ash made a great hire in kill. Yes, spike was bad and not using timeout. He's rusty in first game back. But - his game plan of use lots of play clock and grind out runs to move chains kept our D off the field and fresh. We had possession for 38 mins. That is huge against Petersen, who at Boise put up 50-60 weekly. Yes, it was grustra7 monitoring one deep or go for it on4th down. However, for RU to show progress this season we have to keep top tier teams from blowing us out. First game accomplished this. Results like this do not turn away recruits,it shows hope.

Ash D, looks promising. Line was pleasant surprise...

ST - work in progress. Better than last year, android year young quicker guys playing. Will take time to get experience and adjust.

I feel MUCH better about season outlook after this game than before it..

Special teams were awful again. Now two years in a row. That's coaching which has to be improved. Punt return was the turning point of the game. Washington punter kept pinning us down near the goal line. Washington kickoffs afraid to kick to Grant and our wide receivers are catching the ball and taking a knee losing ten yards at a time. Washington field goal wonderful, ours not even close.

Nice effort by D and Offense was miles better than last year with a nice ground game. Hate losing a game on special teams which again is a coaching issue.
Think you are off on Ws 2 deep punts. Grant made correct decision to let them go over his head.

Our punter was good. He shanked that punt for a return and out kicked the coverage.

Missed Fg was just wide at 47 yards.

What else was wrong?

Reactions: theRU

It is not coaching, it is lack of talent and depth.

Think you are off on Ws 2 deep punts. Grant made correct decision to let them go over his head.

Our punter was good. He shanked that punt for a return and out kicked the coverage.

Missed Fg was just wide at 47 yards.

What else was wrong?

Missed FG was not even close. Washington FG good from 60.

Out kicked coverage? Great punt. Guy bobbled it and ran up the middle. Awful coverage.

Washington pins us twice to our endzone... Fool me once.. .

Washington doesn't kick deep kickoffs to Grant and twice we take a knee when there were plenty of yards to be gained.

If you are not going to win special teams battles, you go for it...

Like it or not, defense was fine, the Kill running game was impressive, but we lost the game on special teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Last season, special teams were a debacle. This year, there just not good. They have made smallest stride toward improvement between three groups. Rome was not built in a day.

First and foremost the 47 yard FG attempt was long enough but curved off to the left by 2 ft... I know close doesn't count...G-unit watch the kick again then tell me about how far off?... he started it at the right side post and what happens at that side of the field are the wind shifts right to left ...night time is much different than day inside our stadium...

We play a top 10 team tough and some fans' reaction is Washington must be overrated. Yup, that's our fan base. SMH

Reactions: Knight Shift
First and foremost the 47 yard FG attempt was long enough but curved off to the left by 2 ft... I know close doesn't count...G-unit watch the kick again then tell me about how far off?... he started it at the right side post and what happens at that side of the field are the wind shifts right to left ...night time is much different than day inside our stadium...

Kick was a wounded duck. Watch it again, it was not within two yards. Look at Washington kick which looks like kick would have been good from 60. Gotta know your players and your range. You are not going to win kicking contests

Least of the special teams fiascos in any event. No excuse for that punt return again and same as last year. No improvement.

Doesn't a good coach anticipate that they may not kick to Grant and your response is to twice take a knee and no better field position than a touch back? Loss at least ten yards on one and maybe more.

Two Washington punts within the three. They won the game because of their special teams.

Out kicked coverage? Great punt. Guy bobbled it and ran up the middle. Awful coverage.

Washington doesn't kick deep kickoffs to Grant and twice we take a knee when there were plenty of yards to be gained.

Like it or not, defense was fine, the Kill running game was impressive, but we lost the game on special teams.
That was a booming punt but not a great punt at all. We were in max protect in our own end zone and he not only kicked it too far he kicked it down the middle to the beat Punt Returner in the game.

Coverage was also not great on that punt and one other I'm just saying the play was to kick it OB.

Also how is it getting fooled when a punter hits a high going inside the 5 and it sticks? What could we have done differently?

Last edited:
Ohio State and Penn St have more depth than Washington right now, although Washington did play without 2 D starters (suspended)
That's fair. Its funny how some of our own fans were chirping about how we will never beat Indiana after the 1st half of their game without seeing us play. Ohio States depth and overall talent took over there. Still want to see more games of everyone before declaring who is better\best.

Reactions: RutgersRockies
Massive jump from last season. The biggest I have seen an RU team make. Night and day.

Reactions: czxqa
That was a booming punt but not a great punt at all. We were in max protect in our own end zone and he not only kicked it too far he kicked it down the middle to the beat Punt Returner in the game.

Coverage was also not great on that punt and one other I'm just saying the play was to kick it OB.

Also how is it getting fooled when a punter hits a high going inside the 5 and it sticks? What could we have done differently?

Not even the pros try to angle the ball out of own end zone. Taught to get off a good punt off as quick as possible. Blaming the punter for a great kick and not the coaching coverage is very Randy Edsel like.

You guys played very well. Last night was a huge leap.
Your running game was knife like. You will surprise.

Thanks for the positive words.

Disagree. Washington is a legit playoff team.

If they are, Rutgers did a commendable job last night. Let's hope so.

So we played the #8 team in the country and lost by 16. We turned it over twice and got no turnovers ourselves, started on our goal line twice and the 7 once and gave up a punt return for a TD. Seems to me the play calling did a spectacular job of keeping us in this game. You're never going to pull that upset without getting turnovers and great special teams play of which we got neither.

Exactly, Rutgers had their plan and I believe executed it pretty well. The special teams (on both sides) and the turnovers were the difference.

Shouldnt we wait for a few more games before judging?

Yes we should. If Rutgers can perform on the field the same way over the next few games (minus the turnovers and ST play), I will be very pleased for the year. My fingers are crossed.

Those two punts were nailed by Washington's punter and were fantastic kicks. Ever see the best golfers hit above the pin and spin it back? That's what this dude accomplished. The fair catches on the kick offs to us were perplexing..catch it and run the ball!! Maybe get another 5 to 10 yards minimum. ST coach must have told them all to fair catch it.

Washington made great special teams play we made none and some were actually quite poor. Convinced cost us the game. If you want to win taking knees because teams are not going to kick to Grant... well that's just not going to get it done. Kick and punt coverage like last year not going to get it done. FG had no chance of ever making it. It was short, low and wide.

Running game was miles better than last year. Love the Kill game plan. D was quite good. Lots of improvement so very psyched!!!!

On the other hand this game became winnable. Their well coached team on great punts gets ball downed on the 1 two times. Our great punt leads to a bobble and a serious breakdown in coverage and a game changing TD!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT