ADVERTISEMENT

Ash will stay

5 years.

Ash isn't going anywhere. Let's hope he crushes recruiting and somehow becomes not a meathead.

Rutgers will not fire him. to cheap he is as bad as the coach Uconn fired. He was also supposed to be a great DC. He came from Notre Dame. Rutgers is stuck at 2.5 mil a year. This and at least 2 more years of Uconn level football. Its Sad really.

agreed nor should he be fired at year 2 even at 1-11 which has a 50/50 shot at happening...still it means huge recruiting pressure and means a big turnaround needed in year 3 where a 3-9 season will be get him canned
2 years isn't enough time to fairly judge a first time HC,but agree year 3 is when he should be expected to show his worth or at least she he's capable of making RU competitive against the better B1G programs.

That said: I'm hoping Ash proves my not trusting his ability as a HC wrong , my wondering if Kill is going to prove to be a good OC this year, bringing out the talent the O players might have that hasn't really shown yet as a team or will this season wind up just hoping the next is better, like I did at the end of last year .
I always try to see RU FB in a positive light, but today, finding that pretty hard to do.

2 years isn't enough time to fairly judge a first time HC,but agree year 3 is when he should be expected to show his worth or at least she he's capable of making RU competitive against the better B1G programs.
There are more ways to see if a program is improving other than wins and losses. Maryland is a perfect example. Their win-losses count is not tremendously different from ours considering they've played an easier schedule. But they pass the eye test.

Cmon... 1st half 38 yard line and punt. Joke. EMU coach was way more aggressive and he won. Ash is a deer in headlights most of the time. Not sure how people don't see jt.
That punt was bad. He's not playing to win.

Reactions: bac2therac
The other thing to think about is how many of our starters/players will be gone. Adding a ton of 5th year does not build a program for the long term.

He needs to start building s team for next year which means prin letting Lewis play a lot, having a non-senior in RB, etc.

RU let Eddie go after three. We have not seen good coaching at all.

agreed nor should he be fired at year 2 even at 1-11 which has a 50/50 shot at happening...still it means huge recruiting pressure and means a big turnaround needed in year 3 where a 3-9 season will be get him canned
Unfortunately you are right about a 3rd year. The sad thing is it just puts us further behind as it is very clear Ash will not get it done here. In hindsight, his inability to create any buzz around his hire was an ominous sign.

If we have 0-2 wins this year (probable), do not improve much and have a poor recruiting class, I think he could be gone after three seasons.

Our #1 Fan just said Hobbs is a fool for giving out a 5-year contract which is, well, a dumb statement. As with any newly hired head coach, it doesn't mean he'll be here 5 years but the contract will pretty much always be at least 5 years.

BS. New hire HC coaches get 4 or 3 year contracts.
And certainly no AD in their right mind is giving a Coach with zero Head Coaching experience a 5 year Contract worth $2 mil per year, except Hobbs.

Last edited:
At some point the fatigue of the endless cycle of hiring and firing has to weigh on a university that has historically not been all in. Honestly, I see no end in sight tot he futility

At some point the fatigue of the endless cycle of hiring and firing has to weigh on a university that has historically not been all in. Honestly, I see no end in sight tot he futility

The only silver lining is that Rutgers is in the B1G now. If these results occured in a non-P5 conference, the university probably would consider dropping football.

Instead, with the amount of talent in NJ and the B1G money, a big name coach could be convinced to come here and save the program.

no matter how bad this season is.
Rutgers won't pay for a 3 year buyout .
Actually word inside the team is that ash is the guy to take this team to the next step. Now , there are plenty of players that are not his players but as he adds his players things should improve.

Reactions: Knight Shift
First off, it is not clear if Ash will not get it done here. At this point in Schiano's career -- this exact point -- he was 0-2 after a 2-9 first year, having just lost by 18 points to Villanova at home and by 23 points to Buffalo at home. That is undeniably worse than what it happening now. Buffalo was just a few years removed from FCS. We had no hope and cried about how embarrassing this was and that nobody could fix the mess Terry Shea left.

Sure, the situations are not exactly the same. But if the logic is you KNOW Ash can't get it done based on his first year plus two games, well, I submit you don't know that yet. Granted, it doesn't look good, but we just don't know yet.

Maybe do the Indiana / Kentucky model - let football take back seat with cheap hires and invest in BBall. Basically become punching bag for B1G East in football and collect the checks. We already do the first part well (being the punching bag) and I'm sure we will do the second part well (collect checks).

Reactions: soundcrib
Our #1 Fan just said Hobbs is a fool for giving out a 5-year contract which is, well, a dumb statement. As with any newly hired head coach, it doesn't mean he'll be here 5 years but the contract will pretty much always be at least 5 years.
He is full of dumb statements, as are most of our #1 fans, after a tough loss, when everyone is an expert. In some threads, people were wishing for Flood to be back. SMH.

First off, it is not clear if Ash will not get it done here. At this point in Schiano's career -- this exact point -- he was 0-2 after a 2-9 first year, having just lost by 18 points to Villanova at home and by 23 points to Buffalo at home. That is undeniably worse than what it happening now. Buffalo was just a few years removed from FCS. We had no hope and cried about how embarrassing this was and that nobody could fix the mess Terry Shea left.

Sure, the situations are not exactly the same. But if the logic is you KNOW Ash can't get it done based on his first year plus two games, well, I submit you don't know that yet. Granted, it doesn't look good, but we just don't know yet.

This is true but there was a lot more buzz because of recruiting. Schiano could sell the future and ppl could sense the light at the end of a long tunnel. Also, as someone pointed out above, Ash brought in a lot of experienced transfers this year to plug holes and get some wins NOW mortgaging some of the future. Ash's recruiting has been mediocre at best based on stars and offer sheets.

Reactions: redking
5 year contract is pretty much standard I can't think of too many coaches who got less than that unless it was some sort of interim/internal promotion like Flood.

If you go outside the current staff the outsider is going to get 5 years usually. Kirby Smart got 6 at Georgia. Herman got 5 when he first went to Houston. Narduzzi got 5 at Pitt. All first time HCs. Not a first time HC, but an internal promotion Ed Orgeron got 5 at LSU. Other guys who were from mid majors like Taggart and Brohm got 5 and 6 years respectively.

Reactions: Block R
I was kidding before and realize he is here for at least 1/2 years. If he doesn't make it, we need to hire someone who has been a successful head coach before. Schiano and now ash both learned on the job. Once we get that big ten money, we won't need to do that any longer.

I was kidding before and realize he is here for at least 1/2 years. If he doesn't make it, we need to hire someone who has been a successful head coach before. Schiano and now ash both learned on the job. Once we get that big ten money, we won't need to do that any longer.
I wouldn't be so sure and honestly I don't know that I'd want to change the methodology of hiring a coach. Every year there's a new crop of coaches available and you look to find the best one whether it be a guy with P5 experience (which usually won't be available unless it's a fired guy), a mid major or a coordinator.

I name plenty of examples often because people think money is some panacea. It's obviously helpful but it's not the end all be all. It still all comes down to identifying the right guy for your situation and that's not an exact science no matter the money. There's only 1 Saban and Meyer who can win in many places. Just because a guy has had success in 1 place doesn't necessarily mean he will in the next.

Off the top of my head, Georgia, FSU, Clemson have money up the wazoo and they all hired first time HCs with coordinator experience or less and there are many more examples in the past of other programs with access to money who have done the same. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. Same goes for mid major HCs and HCs with P5 experience. Look at Texas and all the money they have.

Money isn't the answer, it's trying to make a good evaluation of who will fit your situation and be successful and that's easier said than done. Money helps in maybe widening the pool a little, erasing a mistake quicker and holding onto a guy if he does become good but it doesn't make it all the much easier in identifying the right guy.

This is a ridiculous thread. Go look at Schiano's record for his first few years. Second year was worse than the first and his conference record was atrocious until year 5. And Ash is playing a much tougher schedule.
Chris Ash is not getting fired.
This is true but there was a lot more buzz because of recruiting. Schiano could sell the future and ppl could sense the light at the end of a long tunnel. Also, as someone pointed out above, Ash brought in a lot of experienced transfers this year to plug holes and get some wins NOW mortgaging some of the future. Ash's recruiting has been mediocre at best based on stars and offer sheets.

Granted Schiano's had more charisma and had Jersey roots but looking back there was no carryover between whatever buzz he created with his personality and recruiting results. Schiano's,s first 3 full classes, starting in 2002 were ranked 46' 45 and 52 by Rivals. Ash's first full class was. Ranked 43 and 2018 is currently ranked 52. Seems like Schiano's won over more fans than recruits.
My point is it's too early to judge and Ash will not and should not be fired.

Please stop with the Schiano comparisons

Schiano inherited a team that never even won a bowl game.

Ash inherited a team that went to a bowl game all but two times in the prior decade.

Schiano inherited a team in the BE.

Ash inherited a team in the B1G.

Schiano had to invent traditions.

Ash could point to a huge chunk of the Pats' D.

Give it a rest, we lost to a team that NEVER beat a p5 opponent until yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT