ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Minnesota in Meltdown Mode-Fire Fleck, Brosmer?

@ashokan has made some fair points on Gavin not having the WRs we have now, and perhaps the OL pass protection has improved. But Gavin had an issue with the short and dump off passes that did not seem related to the WRs or the OL. Have wished him well, and hope he has a successful college career at Kentucky.

@ashokan has made some fair points on Gavin not having the WRs we have now, and perhaps the OL pass protection has improved. But Gavin had an issue with the short and dump off passes that did not seem related to the WRs or the OL. Have wished him well, and hope he has a successful college career at Kentucky.
The WR corps is definitely better. But I saw many open WRs with my own lying eyes last year that Gavin missed or never saw...or missed. And I saw every game passes that, while they probably would have hit the side of a barn from 30 yards, it would have literally been close. And we had a fearsome rushing attack last year making a passer's life easy. So to point to the WRs and possible marginal improvements with the OL is definitely missing the big picture. With Gavin we never would have thrown over the middle again and again on sustained drives to win a game like we did this past game. Good luck to Gavin. And good look to ashokan on his journey back from mental illness.

This- I was always there to support GW...but we watch AK hitting these screens, the passes to the TE, etc...and these are the type of plays Gavin had such a hard time with. Not because of the WR's but because he would just miss the passes. AK is hitting in stride or with the perfect touch on those TE passes.

OL was pretty good last year and almost elite this year. And I do admit- our WR/TE room is something it hasn't been in years. When your top guy from last year is now number 5 or 6, it says a lot.

Look - the OL is a bit improved as obviously the guys on the right beat out Reggie but that side is still the weak link. Pass protection wasn’t really the issue last year - Gavin often had time, and was still inaccurate - hence the frustration.

The upgrade in receivers to this point has not been a major factor in my opinion. Kenny is doing a great job stepping up at TE, but let’s not crap on Langhan either. I strongly believe he was more than capable of similar production - we didn’t have a QB who could execute the shorts properly - full stop. That much has zero to do with who the receiver is - as an example. Ian Strong was on the team last year, and while he’s a year more experienced, I think it’s a tough sell to attribute that as the reason. Taking the screen play to seal the win as an example - I think Strong could’ve made that play last season if we had a QB capable of throwing that pass at a catchable speed (not a dart).

Yes, Miller beat out Dremel, so he is an upgrade, but to this point at least - I’m not sure how much of a factor that has played. I think your going to get better slot looks in general as a passer when you are able to spread the ball and adjust play calls based on what the defense gives - which last year Gavin just could not do.

The WR corps is definitely better. But I saw many open WRs with my own lying eyes last year that Gavin missed or never saw...or missed. And I saw every game passes that, while they probably would have hit the side of a barn from 30 yards, it would have literally been close. And we had a fearsome rushing attack last year making a passer's life easy. So to point to the WRs and possible marginal improvements with the OL is definitely missing the big picture. With Gavin we never would have thrown over the middle again and again on sustained drives to win a game like we did this past game. Good luck to Gavin. And good look to ashokan on his journey back from mental illness.

Yes - this about sums it up.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Look - the OL is a bit improved as obviously the guys on the right beat out Reggie but that side is still the weak link. Pass protection wasn’t really the issue last year - Gavin often had time, and was still inaccurate - hence the frustration.

The upgrade in receivers to this point has not been a major factor in my opinion. Kenny is doing a great job stepping up at TE, but let’s not crap on Langhan either. I strongly believe he was more than capable of similar production - we didn’t have a QB who could execute the shorts properly - full stop. That much has zero to do with who the receiver is - as an example. Ian Strong was on the team last year, and while he’s a year more experienced, I think it’s a tough sell to attribute that as the reason. Taking the screen play to seal the win as an example - I think Strong could’ve made that play last season if we had a QB capable of throwing that pass at a catchable speed (not a dart).

Yes, Miller beat out Dremel, so he is an upgrade, but to this point at least - I’m not sure how much of a factor that has played. I think your going to get better slot looks in general as a passer when you are able to spread the ball and adjust play calls based on what the defense gives - which last year Gavin just could not do.
Agree. There is a good chance that Gavin would have completed the same pass for a TD to strong if he were here. Unless he threw it over his head or at his feet. Gavin didn't do that every play. But how many of those can you afford to do in a close game (answer: less than 1). And would the D have been so nicely set up for Strong to bust outside if the DBs didn't have to respect a 15 yard pass over the middle?

Agree. There is a good chance that Gavin would have completed the same pass for a TD to strong if he were here. Unless he threw it over his head or at his feet. Gavin didn't do that every play. But how many of those can you afford to do in a close game (answer: less than 1). And would the D have been so nicely set up for Strong to bust outside if the DBs didn't have to respect a 15 yard pass over the middle?

Thats the thing. The D also had to worry
About the dink passes to Kenny. Ashokan would argue that they didn’t have to worry about the QB draw call, which is true but AK did enough with his legs to have to defend against the scramble. The main difference I see with the rush in Gavin’s favor is it was less of a risk allowing him to take hits (Gavin is built more like a TE) while it’s important to limit AK’s hits - especially early in the season.

Thats the thing. The D also had to worry
About the dink passes to Kenny. Ashokan would argue that they didn’t have to worry about the QB draw call, which is true but AK did enough with his legs to have to defend against the scramble. The main difference I see with the rush in Gavin’s favor is it was less of a risk allowing him to take hits (Gavin is built more like a TE) while it’s important to limit AK’s hits - especially early in the season.
Sorry to say, I think it was also less of a risk to allow Gavin to take hits because it would not have been devastating to have lost him. If running the ball was the one thing he could do, then he’s got to do it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Sorry to say, I think it was also less of a risk to allow Gavin to take hits because it would not have been devastating to have lost him. If running the ball was the one thing he could do, then he’s got to do it.
But anyway, I think we can all agree, screw Minnesota

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think you went until the 2nd sentence/paragraph to make it about Schiano lol

I like Schinao and I like defense - which Schiano is good at.
When it comes to offense things drop off and RU looks like Hurricane team stuck in amber.
The beans-n-franks offense with tepid red zone play is a 20 yr old problem for GS.
A Frank's hot sauce defense with cucumber salad offense needs great players
GS had tremendous players on Miami defense (Ed Reed et al).
GS cant often get a solid DL to help create the turnovers his approach calls for.
The problem has already shown this year vs weaker teams

Rex Ryan and Greg share aggressive defense with strong run game approach.
Likewise both had/have problems with QB dev and play.
Given a choice between Mahomes and Trent Dilfer GS would have to think about it

This- I was always there to support GW...but we watch AK hitting these screens, the passes to the TE, etc...and these are the type of plays Gavin had such a hard time with. Not because of the WR's but because he would just miss the passes. AK is hitting in stride or with the perfect touch on those TE passes.

OL was pretty good last year and almost elite this year. And I do admit- our WR/TE room is something it hasn't been in years. When your top guy from last year is now number 5 or 6, it says a lot.

AK has one of the same problems GW had.
Gavin's nickname could be SpaceX - his 35 yd passes looked high as Herbert's 65s.
AK can throw pinpoint bullets up close - longer passes often high/slow/drifty.
Arm strength is an issue with longer balls
Those are the passes Shedeur Sanders just flicks off.
I'm sure GS and KC love the little squirt passes most anyway.
I know what DCs and DBs will start seeing in video

FqU8zTY.gif

RFhqlMl.gif

lZrXY1j.gif

yMxN0It.gif

Thank goodness RU fans are more rational than Gophers fans. Had not realized they got beat 31-14 by Iowa. 79 yards total rushing. Brosmer threw for 209 yards but 2 INTs. In typical Iowa fashion, 62 yards of passing sealed the victory for them. To add insult to injury, UNC, who Minnesota lost to, got throttled 70-50 by James Madison.

1. Done with the program threads

To a fault, their fans said they would take their current QB over AK everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. IMO, that's being stubborn when facts say otherwise.

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]leib0039

Well-known member​

JoinedFeb 14, 2019Messages1,795Reaction score3,082Points113
I dont think we are great but most of our opponents aren't real good either. Michigan has a glorified RB playing QB, USC just lost to that RB, Maryland isn't great, ucla is awful, Illinois is solid but nothing special, is anyone afraid of Kaliakmanis? I'm sure not, Wisconsin has a backup QB who isn't good. Again not saying we are great, we certainly aren't, but to say we aren't winning another game seems like a big over reaction.

Reactions:DrunkDons
Minny's QB has been a letdown, even though Minny fans have called him an upgrade and their best QB in some time. Compare stats and AK is performing head and shoulders above Minny's QB.

Minn. Max Brosmer in 4 games: 75/114 for 836 yards, 5 TD to 3 INT. Brosmer has been sacked 8 times. Brosmer has rushed 26 times for -3 yards. I thought he was more mobile than AK.

RU Athan Kaliakmanis in 3 games: 45/72 for 646 yards, 6 TD to 1 INT. AK has been sacked 3 times. AK has 17 carries for 59 yards.

The bottom line is that AK has a better OL and the receiving unit has allowed you to see his potential. Just remember, the Minny fanbase (& coaching staff) is trying too hard to convince itself they don't regret chasing AK away.

Last edited:
AK has one of the same problems GW had.
Gavin's nickname could be SpaceX - his 35 yd passes looked high as Herbert's 65s.
AK can throw pinpoint bullets up close - longer passes often high/slow/drifty.
Arm strength is an issue with longer balls
Those are the passes Shedeur Sanders just flicks off.
I'm sure GS and KC love the little squirt passes most anyway.
I know what DCs and DBs will start seeing in video

FqU8zTY.gif

RFhqlMl.gif

lZrXY1j.gif

yMxN0It.gif
The first pass is on AK.

The second pass is on the receiver. The receiver didn't account for being on the short side of the field. Therefore, he didn't adjust the route to give himself a real shot of catching the ball in bounds.

The third pass was good coverage and only a well-placed ball would give the receiver a chance. Probably less than 10% of college QB can make that throw most of the time.

The fourth pass was similar to the second pass. Fletcher ran straight toward the sideline. Fletcher should have pushed upfield more before fading to the sideline. The ball wasn't the best place pass, but Fletcher could have given himself a shot at catching the ball in bounds or drawing a P.I. because the DB/LB had no idea where the ball was.

To a fault, their fans said they would take their current QB over AK everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. IMO, that's being stubborn when facts say otherwise.

Minny's QB has been a letdown, even though Minny fans have called him an upgrade and their best QB in some time. Compare stats and AK is performing head and shoulders above Minny's QB.

Minn. Max Brosmer in 4 games: 75/114 for 836 yards, 5 TD to 3 INT. Brosmer has been sacked 8 times. Brosmer has rushed 26 times for -3 yards. I thought he was more mobile than AK.

RU Athan Kaliakmanis in 3 games: 45/72 for 646 yards, 6 TD to 1 INT. AK has been sacked 3 times. AK has 17 carries for 59 yards.

The bottom line is that AK has a better OL and receiving unit has allowed you to see his potential. Just remember, the Minny fanbase (coaching staff) is trying too hard to convince itself they don't regret chasing AK away.
Yeah, Here's a funny riddle:

What is Minny fans' favorite river to Row the Boat?

Answer: De Nial!!!

What I would love to see this week. Everyone is seeing AK throwing that sideline pass just out of bounds. And DBs will be trying to keep our WR on that sideline because of it. This week, they should be working so hard on the back shoulder, same play.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
What I would love to see this week. Everyone is seeing AK throwing that sideline pass just out of bounds. And DBs will be trying to keep our WR on that sideline because of it. This week, they should be working so hard on the back shoulder, same play.
It's almost impossible to defend. It's a DB's worst nightmare.

And you would know. The kicker is that the back shoulder works best when tge DB has the play defended perfectly
The more aggressive the DB is, the easier it is to abuse him on a back shoulder throw. As a DB, you never want the WR to get over the top of you, so fight to stay ahead. That leaves the back shoulder wide open. The only way it's not successful is if the QB and WR are not on the same page.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I don’t really have anything specific against Minny, but for Athan’s sake, yes. He was clearly scapegoated as their problem.
Minny has been a massive thorn in our side with multiple WTF games we lost in football and basketball that directly impacted our postseason prospects. And their coach is cloning our coach. And their motto is "Row the Boat". What's not to hate?

I think there is a good natural rivalry brewing with Minny. I know we are supposed to care about Maryland. But being honest, does anyone care about Maryland? Minnesota: we steal their coaches. We steal their players. They beat in key games when they suck.

Minny has been a massive thorn in our side with multiple WTF games we lost in football and basketball that directly impacted our postseason prospects. And their coach is cloning our coach. And their motto is "Row the Boat". What's not to hate?

I think there is a good natural rivalry brewing with Minny. I know we are supposed to care about Maryland. But being honest, does anyone care about Maryland? Minnesota: we steal their coaches. We steal their players. They beat in key games when they suck.
In theory, it should be a good natural rivalry, but the Minny fanbase acts as if they are superior to us. IMO, it's a fear Rutgers has passed them in the pecking order of the B1G. We hear and see it from Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, and Iowa fans. Those are flyover states that didn't add the same value (tv deal) that Rutgers did, and they are butt hurt.

The more aggressive the DB is, the easier it is to abuse him on a back shoulder throw. As a DB, you never want the WR to get over the top of you, so fight to stay ahead. That leaves the back shoulder wide open. The only way it's not successful is if the QB and WR are not on the same page.
if done correctly- almost always a catch or a PI. One of the greatest plays anyone has ever come up with

In theory, it should be a good natural rivalry, but the Minny fanbase acts as if they are superior to us. IMO, it's a fear Rutgers has passed them in the pecking order of the B1G. We hear and see it from Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, and Iowa fans. Those are flyover states that didn't add the same value (tv deal) that Rutgers did, and they are butt hurt.
They definitely have a lot of pride in their past 7 national championships and a hard time dealing with our success. I agree. I don't think we actually have passed them yet. But the trajectory is good.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT