ADVERTISEMENT

Ash Wrestling next on ESPN

damn.. tough going. One good sign.. Heil didnt seem to want Ash to escape to start the 3rd. Usually the superior wrestler seems to milk takedowns for points.. allowing escapes.

loving these 2 screens for the semis

tough one for ash.. final 4 is a nice result.. met expectations.. great season for him

Expectations here were so high
Took all 10. Not much to show. Maybe next year cubbie
Yea two AA's already with one more who can potentially AA and looking like a top 20 finish. Something RU has never done before. Try getting a clue before you post. Or better yet try not posting something negative about a sport you have no knowledge of. :chairshot:

Don't know own anything about wrestling but nothing overrated making it to nationals. Well done young man.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Why is this sport already not a yearly power
Lack of funding. Lack of facilities. NJ HS wrestling should provide constant talent pool.
Settling for less is tiresome. The truth hurts. Tired of being also ran.
It's called just 9 years ago the program was on life support and was about to get the axe thanks to title 9. Once saved from the chopping block by Mulcaney, RU never fully funded wrestling until Pernetti made the investment to give 9.9 scholarships and then with only in state tuition(still need out of state tuition). That was accomplished I believe 5 to 6 years ago. It's called having some of the worst wrestling facilities in the nation with our practices held in the basement of the Barn. I think that place was built sometime around the revolutionary war for pete's sake(I kid). Now try recruiting the best with that, coupled with no tradition of producing AA's. What have we had like 2 since 1952 before the last 4 years.

The truth is you want to blame someone for why the sport is not a yearly power by now? Look no further then dear old Fred Gruninger. The man should have stuck with golf, he made the hall of fame of ADs based on incompetent longevity. Really his peers voted him in as a thanks for keeping RU down for so long. It's been a long climb out of the hole he created and it's starting to take off with the inclusion in the B1G. Now is certainly not the time to be degrading the program. It's actually the time to start rejoicing. With the best season in RU history almost in the books and the highly ranked incoming class which wiped up the states. Now that you have your history lesson try not being so obtuse.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
The only "let down" if there is one is that 4 or 5 guys went winless in the tournament, otherwise I'd say 99% of RU wrestling supporters would feel this run was a success, Two AAs, one only one win away from AA, Richie Lewis had a nice run...and overall the team has a legit shot of placing as high as 12th going into the final day...and a boost with the incoming recruiting class and how this run should further improve recruiting...where unlike other sports NJ is one of the top recruited states for the sport.

Reactions: koleszar
The only "let down" if there is one is that 4 or 5 guys went winless in the tournament, otherwise I'd say 99% of RU wrestling supporters would feel this run was a success, Two AAs, one only one win away from AA, Richie Lewis had a nice run...and overall the team has a legit shot of placing as high as 12th going into the final day...and a boost with the incoming recruiting class and how this run should further improve recruiting...where unlike other sports NJ is one of the top recruited states for the sport.
Two AAs for Rutgers is amazing. We still can't get past Cornell, 3 AAs, including 2 titlists, and Lehigh, 3AAs, even though we beat them both in dual meets, which by the way really count for absolutely nothing in wrestling, it is Nationals, Nationals, and Nationals. It looks like we are positioned as the 4th best team in the East right now and I don't see that changing anytime soon based on the recruiting classes of the three schools above us. We have a very good class coming in, but they each have equally good classes and great coaches. I do think we have separated ourselves from the Edinboro, Princeton, Penn and Rider's of the world, which is a positive. Still not sure if the sport can grow anymore than it has already at Rutgers, but I do congratulate the kids and their families for a very good year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT