ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto would fit in nicely on the Rutgers wrestling team

You said he overachieved...that’s a joke ..he did what he’d wanted when he wanted ..for himself .he never had the best interest of the team at heart ..so what he won a world title for himself ..what good did that do RU...the turmoil with the weight switch and missing weight etc cost us at least two matches ...he did the work necessary to make weight when it was for himself but for RU ..he did nothing ..he chose to not work and go 165 and how did that work out for him..overachiever my ass...he came here a head case and left here the same way ..he was all talk.

At what point did you expect him to shock the world? And why is he winning the U23 World only for himself? Media talked about Lewis from Rutgers becoming the world champ!

He was not going to beat Nolf or other top kids at 157 - he'd be drained from weight cutting in every match. I first didn't like it, but by him moving up to 165, it opened door for JVB to come to his own, seconds away from placing top 8; JVB would not have made the nationals at 165. When you compute the number of points both Lewis and JVB captured at the Nationals vs Lewis alone at Nationals in 157, and losing out before top 8 finish, Lewis certainly did the team a favor by going up to 165.

Also, to say Lewis did nothing for RU is wrong. He took 3rd at Midlands with like 15 team points helping RU finish 2nd and he was the sole top 3 place winner at The B1G tournament. I actually think JVB at 157 and Lewis at 165 was the optimal setup for the team. The problem was the early season drama which I agree was all on Lewis.

He’s an eccentric guy and speaks a little too much. But it’s not like the guy did anything major to embarrass RU. He just wasn’t good enough to AA at 165.

Also, to say Lewis did nothing for RU is wrong. He took 3rd at Midlands with like 15 team points helping RU finish 2nd and he was the sole top 3 place winner at The B1G tournament. I actually think JVB at 157 and Lewis at 165 was the optimal setup for the team. The problem was the early season drama which I agree was all on Lewis.

He’s an eccentric guy and speaks a little too much. But it’s not like the guy did anything major to embarrass RU. He just wasn’t good enough to AA at 165.
He really got a bad draw at NCAA.. Walsh gets 4 seed and Richie 6th I don’t get it w.e. Marstellsr got a bad seed too and those two meeting in blood round just meh.. If tourney can be simulated, I believe RL woulda placed 7/10 times.. w.e wasn’t his weekend

That’s my point ..he was all talk when it really counted ..and let’s not forget he dodged Imar in the dual as well ..ya coulda made bets on that ..we all knew he would be sick that day ...we even talked about t lol...so predictable..

When i watched Aguilar wrestle this season (probably about 5 times), it seemed he had problems getting out from the bottom against the top guys. He eventually got out, but was on the bottom for a minute or so. I think that will be the key to his development. He was very good on top. I kind of hope he redshirts, but if the is the best option at 125....send him out.

When i watched Aguilar wrestle this season (probably about 5 times), it seemed he had problems getting out from the bottom against the top guys. He eventually got out, but was on the bottom for a minute or so. I think that will be the key to his development. He was very good on top. I kind of hope he redshirts, but if the is the best option at 125....send him out.

I’d like to see metzler hold down the spot. He looked like a good option at the end of the season

I believe DeSanto is coming to RU for a visit this week. Or at least that is what was planned.

That's a great news! With him on board, we'd have one of the best sequence of wrestlers from 133-141-149-157-165 in the country. Not to mention Grello, Gravina, and Correnti sequence. Possibly 8 AAs! Wow!

I believe DeSanto is coming to RU for a visit this week. Or at least that is what was planned.

That's a great news! With him on board, we'd have one of the best sequence of wrestlers from 133-141-149-157-165 in the country. Not to mention Grello, Gravina, and Correnti sequence. Possibly 8 AAs! Wow!
8 AAs?...Did RutgersAl change his board name???

Love your enthusiasm but Glasgow is untested and unsure where he is going (likely 57) and JVB moving up will be undersized. I LOVE JVB at 57 but for the best outcomes I think he needs to move up. MVB also needs to kick it up a second gear this year and not get dominated by the likes of Shoop.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I thought that was a little overzealous myself. I was more in the camp of, if you get Desanto's, JVB stays at 157 you're looking at a potential for 4 AA's with an additional blood round guy. While having up to 8 wrestlers qualify for NCAA's. That squad would be firmly in the top 10 and closer to top 5.

It would mark another step forward for the program. That's all I ever look for, just keep improving on the previous year's results. Sure they'll be some back steps but if the general direction is forward then we're on our way to catching the upper echelon.

Love your enthusiasm but Glasgow is untested and unsure where he is going (likely 57) and JVB moving up will be undersized. I LOVE JVB at 57 but for the best outcomes I think he needs to move up. MVB also needs to kick it up a second gear this year and not get dominated by the likes of Shoop.

I think JVB can absolutely All American at 165 filling into weight well.Let's not forget he wrestled at 165 till RLewis decided to go up, so he is not undersized.I do not think Glasgow is unsure where he goes.It comes down to how it will all play out.

Desanto might be heading more towards Iowa.We need to sell him on working out between Suriano & Ashnault.

Last edited:
Desanto might be heading more towards Iowa.We need to sell him on working out between Suriano & Ashnault.
I still say distance from Exeter, PA is going to play a huge factor here. You're talking 17 hrs., an entire weekend trip and then some vs. 3 hrs., a day trip. His parents are going to be very involved in this decision. He's looking to increase his wrestling room competition. RU's competition at and around this weight class is just as good as Iowa's if not better. With those factors in play, I think we have a good shot here. Plus the Brands are certifiable nuts.

Last edited:
I think JVB can absolutely All American at 165 filling into weight well.Let's not forget he wrestled at 165 till RLewis decided to go up, so he is not undersized.I do not think Glasgow is unsure where he goes.It comes down to how it will all play out.

Haven't forgotten but reason he was there was because RL was at 157. I think his natural weight that he can AA is 157 as he has shown. 165 is a tougher ask but with the VB brothers nothing is too tall a task.

165 is loaded with talent returning in the NCAA.
It will be hard for anyone to AA with the competition there.
Whoever is better should get to pick the weight!

Is RLewis still training with SKWC? I know there was some talk of him going to Trails in a few months.

165 is loaded with talent returning in the NCAA.
It will be hard for anyone to AA with the competition there.
Whoever is better should get to pick the weight!

Is RLewis still training with SKWC? I know there was some talk of him going to Trails in a few months.

Knowing how loaded the weight class is at 165 - You are absolutely right but the way JVB wrestles with that funky style he can get it done. It would be great if Richie can stick around giving JVB & Glasgow tough workouts.

RutgersAl is in a different dimension then me. But why not 8AAs if DeSanto comes to RU?

Suriano: AA is no brainer (title contention at 133)
DeSanto: AA is very possible at 141
Ashnault: see Suriano
JVB: I think he'll have a breakout season either at 157 or 165.
Glasgow: wng said he was at the same level as JVB in practice.
Grello: I think he will be the most improved wrestler come next season
Gravina: it's time! even with a bad shoulder.
Correnti: I think he'll be one of the top 197 in B10.

There you have it! Very possible 8AAs!

RutgersAl is in a different dimension then me. But why not 8AAs if DeSanto comes to RU?

I guess we should be very optimistic but realistically 4 AAs:
Suriano
Desanto if we get him
JVB
Gravina

8 AAs would be a ridiculous banner year for Rutgers Wrestling.

I know this is all happy fun time, but even with DeSanto in the line up (and who knows how likely that is at this point) you have 3 very likely AA. Barring an upset, Suriano, Ashnault, and DeSanto should all AA. The former 2 should be title contenders. This means no injuries, and everyone is on their game, and no upsets. All things that happen all the time.

Then you have some guys who have varying chances of becoming AA's, depending, again, on if they stay healthy, don't get hurt, and continue to improve their game. This includes Gravina, JVB, Correnti, and Grello (in that order for me, although I think Correnti and Grello have the highest ceiling). I think all of these guys have less than a 50/50 shot of becoming AA this year, and that is being generous.

Then you have unknown quantities. Glasgow and Aguilar, who could either set the world on fire, or could have a middling year (or in Aguilar's case, not even compete).

Flo reporting that DeSanto was asked to leave the Drexel program. But I trust our staff to make the right calculation.

We should take him. He fits our heavy hitting style. We have proven we can deal with big personalities before with Suriano and Lewis.

We should take him. He fits our heavy hitting style. We have proven we can deal with big personalities before with Suriano and Lewis.

Actually there is a bit of truth in your thinly veiled troll like post. Lewis did well at RU in many ways both on and off the mat, after transferring in , mainly due to the guidance of the staff and team leadership and his maturing. Suriano was never an issue personality wise, so not sure what the hell you mean.
DeLuca , other than the Penn St match, showed a lot of fun enthusiasm, and turned out to be a good transfer. Pagano a good transfer as well. And Zack Firestone too. Downey was considered , and seems either couldn't get cleared or the RU staff had other thoughts. IF DeSanto is interested , I'm sure the staff , with AD Hobbs, will do a ton of research on DeSanto's situation.

Flo reporting that DeSanto was asked to leave the Drexel program. But I trust our staff to make the right calculation.
I had heard the story from someone inside the Drexel program (who was definitely not anti-DeSanto) and posted some of it a week or two ago. The situation had deteriorated before what went down in Cleveland.

Then I had opined that a lot of high level coaches would be kicking the tires, but it would take some time because there are circumstances that need to be addressed.

Difficult to analyze this on the surface, but you don't have anything else to go on unless you are part of the DeSanto family, but of all the options available to him, RU seems like a pretty good fit. High level room, veteran, accomplished wrestlers with strong personalities (important) and a coaching staff who seems to have been able to handle kids with kid gloves at times when they need it.

I could not see him at PSU.
I know Spencer Lee is a great kid and they have been friendly as acquaintances but do not see that duo working out at all in the long run. The Brands would be good for him, but wonder how he/they would react long-term as most likely patience will be required.
Lock Haven (been mentioned) - in state, very good staff, might be another good option, but probably not as high profile as wrestling in the B1G. Still, could be a player if $ becomes an issue.

I would trust the staff if they decide to bring him in. About as good a situation as I could see (on surface). You are always taking a risk, but the kid is a top wrestler.

Reactions: brentx35 and obrats
I had heard the story from someone inside the Drexel program (who was definitely not anti-DeSanto) and posted some of it a week or two ago. The situation had deteriorated before what went down in Cleveland.

Then I had opined that a lot of high level coaches would be kicking the tires, but it would take some time because there are circumstances that need to be addressed.

Difficult to analyze this on the surface, but you don't have anything else to go on unless you are part of the DeSanto family, but of all the options available to him, RU seems like a pretty good fit. High level room, veteran, accomplished wrestlers with strong personalities (important) and a coaching staff who seems to have been able to handle kids with kid gloves at times when they need it.

I could not see him at PSU.
I know Spencer Lee is a great kid and they have been friendly as acquaintances but do not see that duo working out at all in the long run. The Brands would be good for him, but wonder how he/they would react long-term as most likely patience will be required.
Lock Haven (been mentioned) - in state, very good staff, might be another good option, but probably not as high profile as wrestling in the B1G. Still, could be a player if $ becomes an issue.

I would trust the staff if they decide to bring him in. About as good a situation as I could see (on surface). You are always taking a risk, but the kid is a top wrestler.
I REALLY REALLY hope he comes... he was a fireplug all season and had just took losing the wrong way at NCAA

JVB is way undersized for 165... He was beaten pretty good by Marsteller in dual meet... Don't think that was a one-off either..He just isnt strong enough at 165...

JVB is way undersized for 165... He was beaten pretty good by Marsteller in dual meet... Don't think that was a one-off either..He just isnt strong enough at 165...

I agree with you Jerzey devil, JVB will be undersized at 165 and look who is returning.
Joseph, Wick, Marstellar, McFadden, Marinelli, Chavez, Rogers, Massa, White. 165 will be very deep again.

I agree with you Jerzey devil, JVB will be undersized at 165 and look who is returning.
Joseph, Wick, Marstellar, McFadden, Marinelli, Chavez, Rogers, Massa, White. 165 will be very deep again.

I posted on this same topic above in the thread. I want JVB to go 57 but know it’s tough with Glasgow. Just because he wrestled 65 doesn’t make him a natural. I think we split a lot of matches but don’t expect to win a whole lot.

I think we split a lot of matches but don’t expect to win a whole lot.
Just a question about this last sentence. What exactly is this in reference to, 165lb weight class or team as a whole? If team as a whole I think we win more matches this year than last. We had a lot of ill timed weight issues and injuries last year.

Plus the schedule lightens up a bit in the B1G. Last year had to be one of the toughest schedules in the country. We wrestled #1, #2, #7, #13, #16, #17, #18, #22, #23, #24 in dual meet rankings. We only wrestled 5 meets against non-ranked opponents and one of those opponents Oklahoma was ranked at the time we wrestled them.

Next year we should be a strong tournament team and solid/better dual meet team. With this lineup we would have beaten Lock Haven, Illinois and most likely Minnesota last year. BTW, Minnesota will be very tough next year.

125- Aguilar\Metzler- More upside to Aguilar. I think he can be special. May grow into the weight and finish the year strong like Cruz from Lehigh did as as Fr. Metzler is at worst a .500 wrestler and may do a lot more.
133- Suriano- NC contender
141- MVB/Lipari or transfer- Hopefully MVB can make weight. If he improves like JVB will qualify for Nationals. I like Lipari just don’t know his potential/rate of development. Who knows what DeSanto wants? Ashnault and Suriano would push him for sure and AA would be a good veteran presence for him.
149- AA- NC contender
157- JVB- 20+ wins AA contender
165- Glasgow- NQ/possible AA. Talent is there. Let him cut less weight and just focus on adjusting to college life and the competition level
174- Grello- NQ/AA- Not sure where his weight is? Is he a 165lber? Once he puts it all together he will be dangerous.
184- Gravina/Pagano- NQ/AA- Hope Nick’s health holds up. If I were Pagano, I’d bulk up to 184.
197- Correnti- NQ- Has a ton of talent. We’ll see
285- Colucci- NQ- Upgrade.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Next year we should be a strong tournament team and solid/better dual meet team. With this lineup we would have beaten Lock Haven, Illinois and most likely Minnesota last year. BTW, Minnesota will be very tough next year.

125- Aguilar\Metzler- More upside to Aguilar. I think he can be special. May grow into the weight and finish the year strong like Cruz from Lehigh did as as Fr. Metzler is at worst a .500 wrestler and may do a lot more.
133- Suriano- NC contender
141- MVB/Lipari or transfer- Hopefully MVB can make weight. If he improves like JVB will qualify for Nationals. I like Lipari just don’t know his potential/rate of development. Who knows what DeSanto wants? Ashnault and Suriano would push him for sure and AA would be a good veteran presence for him.
149- AA- NC contender
157- JVB- 20+ wins AA contender
165- Glasgow- NQ/possible AA. Talent is there. Let him cut less weight and just focus on adjusting to college life and the competition level
174- Grello- NQ/AA- Not sure where his weight is? Is he a 165lber? Once he puts it all together he will be dangerous.
184- Gravina/Pagano- NQ/AA- Hope Nick’s health holds up. If I were Pagano, I’d bulk up to 184.
197- Correnti- NQ- Has a ton of talent. We’ll see
285- Colucci- NQ- Upgrade.

Maybe redshirt Glasgow - I don't see him getting through at 165 (Not big and strong enough yet for the weight).Since he did not wrestle any opens due to injuries it will give him a year to develop.
-Keep JVB at 157 if he can make it and Grello at 165.

Just a question about this last sentence. What exactly is this in reference to, 165lb weight class or team as a whole? If team as a whole I think we win more matches this year than last. We had a lot of ill timed weight issues and injuries last year.

Plus the schedule lightens up a bit in the B1G. Last year had to be one of the toughest schedules in the country. We wrestled #1, #2, #7, #13, #16, #17, #18, #22, #23, #24 in dual meet rankings. We only wrestled 5 meets against non-ranked opponents and one of those opponents Oklahoma was ranked at the time we wrestled them.

This comment was more specific to JVB and 165. IF JVB goes 165 I don't see him going on a tear. Someone earlier responded to my comment that he wrestled 165 this year while Richie played with 157 so it wont be a big deal for him. Look at those results and it won't show you anything positive to take into this year unless he bulks up. I see it being more of a 50/50 season if he were to go up. If he stays at 157 which would mean Glasgow either RS or goes up it won't yield better results. Don't have an answer but I'm also not Goody and gang.

Can't imagine that his issues and the Brand brothers would end well..
I still think distance from Exeter, PA is going to come into play here. We're talking over 17 hrs. to Iowa an entire weekend trip as opposed to 3 hrs. a day trip to RU.

I rematched the last minute of his NCAA tourney match against Micic. I get not judging someone on the worst they've ever done but that was, what's the word, horrific? Just a ridiculous, insane last 20 or so seconds starting with the swipe/punch.
Anybody have thoughts or an explanation of how our guys will feel comfortable wrestling against him in practice?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT