ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto would fit in nicely on the Rutgers wrestling team

GhostK

Redshirt
Mar 15, 2018
R12 as a true freshman, super high pace, very "chippy"'

Possible interest in MMA like Suriano?

Would fit in very well at 133 or 141 for Rutgers!

Reactions: KidDagger
Hope the coaches do their due diligence. Don't want another situation like last year where one wrestler destroyed the morale of the team.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
I don't know what people think the potential of Aguilar is, but he has looked special this season. Get him working with Suriano and I feel like could be a multiple AA type of kid. I'm curious if others who know more than I do agree.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Not DeSanto or RU related, but big commit news nonetheless:

2x World Champion, Kurt McHenry, has committed to the University of Michigan

Not DeSanto or RU related, but big commit news nonetheless:

2x World Champion, Kurt McHenry, has committed to the University of Michigan

McHenry is the #1 ranked 125lb prospect and #1 Junior prospect by Flo

Hope the coaches do their due diligence. Don't want another situation like last year where one wrestler destroyed the morale of the team.

This. I don’t know much about the effect his actions had on the team at Drexel, but when you wrestle dirty and you talk to your coaches inappropriately, its not something that I think is worth the risk.

I think Iowa is a better fit for him, he’ll fit right in with Tom and Terry.

DeSanto would fit in nicely at RU. We'd have the senior leadership in place to keep everyone working hard. Remember, getting him commit to RU is the hard part - working him within the rules is the easy part. Look at Lewis - he is supposed to be a loose canon, but he was just fine at RU, and we can even say he overachieved in winning the world title.

Also, we have Eddie Edgar effect where our wrestlers often train with him and his team. Kids who are interested in MMA can benefit by coming to RU.

I don't know what people think the potential of Aguilar is, but he has looked special this season. Get him working with Suriano and I feel like could be a multiple AA type of kid. I'm curious if others who know more than I do agree.
Idk man.. I believe, ppl were high on the Ohio kid too when he came at 125.... Aguilar has potential but he isn’t a can’t miss prospect. so I can’t assume anything until he’s on the mat against college level guys. We got a good class coming in. Im most excited to c how Glasgow will do as his hs teammate, Lewis, seems to have adjusted to college quite well.

Idk man.. I believe, ppl were high on the Ohio kid too when he came at 125.... Aguilar has potential but he isn’t a can’t miss prospect. so I can’t assume anything until he’s on the mat against college level guys. We got a good class coming in. Im most excited to c how Glasgow will do as his hs teammate, Lewis, seems to have adjusted to college quite well.

Aguilar should benefit working out with Suriano daily.As far as Glasgow I would hope with Pritzlaff he will develop into a next level wrestler.Lewis his high school teammate has benefited greatly working with 2 time All American McFadden, former Rutgers Asst coach Molinaro and Olympian Frayer.

We have to continue to build upon getting high level resident athletes.This will help to push our wrestlers to a high level of success.We definitely need a bigger warchest to compete against the likes of Penn State, Ohio state etc.

I really like Aguilar but I would not start him next year unless he gets bigger. To me he looks a little undersized at 120 and think he needs a year to bulk up and get ready for college 125lbers.

The “can’t miss” prospect is very rare in this sport. I’m sure 9 years ago most people thought Scott Winston was a “can’t miss” prospect. The transition from high school to college wrestling is not easy, and the early development of this recruiting class will play a major factor as to who gets a redshirt, and who finds their way into the line up.

As for Glasgow, I’ve been told he’s making the transition quite well. The staff is really high on him, and expect an immediate impact. Reports are that he’s about 50/50 in go’s with JVB. Has been wrestling in the SKWC room regularly, and is all cleared as far as compliance and eligiability.

The “can’t miss” prospect is very rare in this sport. I’m sure 9 years ago most people thought Scott Winston was a “can’t miss” prospect. The transition from high school to college wrestling is not easy, and the early development of this recruiting class will play a major factor as to who gets a redshirt, and who finds their way into the line up.

As for Glasgow, I’ve been told he’s making the transition quite well. The staff is really high on him, and expect an immediate impact. Reports are that he’s about 50/50 in go’s with JVB. Has been wrestling in the SKWC room regularly, and is all cleared as far as compliance and eligiability.

Awesome to hear that.

Great to hear about Glasgow - what weight will Glasgow wrestle next season?

Great to hear about Glasgow - what weight will Glasgow wrestle next season?

It sounds like Glasgow and JVB will be the 57/65 duo, but it’s unclear on who will go what weight. It’s a matter of how big the two get this off-season. If the two are floating around the same weight come September, it will be a matter of what weight the better man prefers; similar to the Richie/JVB swap this past season.

Great news on Glasgow!! As for "can't miss'' I only mean top 20 p4p of recruiting class recruit.... Yes.. for every Blue chipper that doesn't work out there are more Snyder, Suriano, Zain, Ruth, Taylor, Nolf and basically all of PSU's team that do lol..
Stats and numbers don't lie.. the higher ranked recruit you are the better chances you have at succeeding at the next lvl. We can't point to the "can't misses" that didn't work out and ignore all the ones that have... but i get what you are saying though.
This is the exact reason why I am not assuming anything on Agular yet until I see him on the mat..

Great news on Glasgow!! As for "can't miss'' I only mean top 20 p4p of recruiting class recruit.... Yes.. for every Blue chipper that doesn't work out there are more Snyder, Suriano, Zain, Ruth, Taylor, Nolf and basically all of PSU's team that do lol..
Stats and numbers don't lie.. the higher ranked recruit you are the better chances you have at succeeding at the next lvl. We can't point to the "can't misses" that didn't work out and ignore all the ones that have... but i get what you are saying though.
This is the exact reason why I am not assuming anything on Agular yet until I see him on the mat..

I understand what you’re saying. My point on the “can’t miss” comment was more of in agreement that Agulair, like every recruit, has to prove himself. The development and transition from high school to college is crucial.

Aguilar is ranked #4 at 120 on Intermat, and #9 by Flo...so not far off "blue chip" territory. Not sure where he is in the Intermat Top 100.

I definitely agree with what you guys are saying, though.

Reactions: Lex Knapp
Lex, would you be willing to roll on the mat with Schultz if we land him? That might be the cherry that persuades him to come :)

Reactions: plcoolg
DeSanto would fit in nicely at RU. We'd have the senior leadership in place to keep everyone working hard. Remember, getting him commit to RU is the hard part - working him within the rules is the easy part. Look at Lewis - he is supposed to be a loose canon, but he was just fine at RU, and we can even say he overachieved in winning the world title.

Also, we have Eddie Edgar effect where our wrestlers often train with him and his team. Kids who are interested in MMA can benefit by coming to RU.
Wow ..you think RL overachieved here ..lol...that’s a joke if I ever heard one ..what did he do for RU ..nothing !!

To all Scarlet Nation posters,

Watch out for this GhostK guy, he might just be a dysfunctional psu fan fishing here. There's a guy on the psu site with the same moniker that joined around the same time he did here. Be wary of this guy, you might just be feeding a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Last edited:
Wow ..you think RL overachieved here ..lol...that’s a joke if I ever heard one ..what did he do for RU ..nothing !!

Since when did you think Lewis will win the world title? Did you even think he'd AA in his new weight class? He overachieved in my book.

2019 recruit, Rob Kanniard, ranked as the 9th top 174lb prospect by FloWrestling.

Kanniard is a 2x NJ state placer (4th as a soph in 2017; runner up as a jr in 2018), and a Fargo freestyle national champion.

Reactions: RU93 and IsItLuck
To all Scarlet Nation posters,

Watch out for this GhostK guy, he might just be a dysfunctional psu fan fishing here. There's a guy on the psu site with the same moniker that joined around the same time he did here. Be wary of this guy, you might just be feeding a wolf in sheep's clothing.
He's no PSU fan. He's a troll, gong back several years. But, you're right to watch out for him.

Aguilar should benefit working out with Suriano daily.As far as Glasgow I would hope with Pritzlaff he will develop into a next level wrestler.Lewis his high school teammate has benefited greatly working with 2 time All American McFadden, former Rutgers Asst coach Molinaro and Olympian Frayer.

We have to continue to build upon getting high level resident athletes.This will help to push our wrestlers to a high level of success.We definitely need a bigger warchest to compete against the likes of Penn State, Ohio state etc.
Question is: will Suriano benefit from working out with Aguilar? The kid is an undersized 20lber

Since when did you think Lewis will win the world title? Did you even think he'd AA in his new weight class? He overachieved in my book.
You said he overachieved...that’s a joke ..he did what he’d wanted when he wanted ..for himself .he never had the best interest of the team at heart ..so what he won a world title for himself ..what good did that do RU...the turmoil with the weight switch and missing weight etc cost us at least two matches ...he did the work necessary to make weight when it was for himself but for RU ..he did nothing ..he chose to not work and go 165 and how did that work out for him..overachiever my ass...he came here a head case and left here the same way ..he was all talk.

You said he overachieved...that’s a joke ..he did what he’d wanted when he wanted ..for himself .he never had the best interest of the team at heart ..so what he won a world title for himself ..what good did that do RU...the turmoil with the weight switch and missing weight etc cost us at least two matches ...he did the work necessary to make weight when it was for himself but for RU ..he did nothing ..he chose to not work and go 165 and how did that work out for him..overachiever my ass...he came here a head case and left here the same way ..he was all talk.

I love this debate, and feel it’s one that RU fans are on both sides of the fence. Going to play a little devils advocate here...

If you look at Richie’s body of work in high school, he was certainly talented, but not a “blue chipper” in many respects. Richie was a 3x NJ placer (7th, 5th, 3rd), but was never seen as “the guy” in high school. He was always someone who was in the mix, but never the favorite. And because of this, it could be argued that Richie’s collegiate career was roughly on par from his high school career; in addition, making the world title a pleasant surprise.

On the other hand, Richie, especially this past season, was looked at as not just an AA contender, but in the mix for a national championship. And with the U23 World Title that he captured in the fall, the expectations certainly grew following. In that regard, in conjunction with the self branding/hype Richie enjoys to do, his NCAA tournament and college career could be argued as disappointing if you begin to judge it from a more recent time frame.

So was Darian Cruz and he AA’ed as a freshman. Why the unrelated negative post? Aguilar is a hammer and we are fortunate to have him.

Aguilar is undoubtedly a great talent. Is he Suriano good? Probably not right now, but there are few that are. This sport, when it involves training partners, is a give and take.

Sure, Suriano will probably beat up on Aguilar his first year in the room, and Suriano may not get pushed a ton by him. Suriano won’t be with him every day though, and will regularly go with partners that push him. However, Aguilar is going to get better by going with Suriano, and in turn, it will make Suriano and the team better as Aguilar improves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT