ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Williams Visiting RU

I am in awe of Hawks spin zone process. I would say he’s trolling, but I remember this going back years now. Patrick Maholmes could leave KC tomorrow and he’d have 6 paragraphs on why it will actually help the KC offense be more dynamic and that KC didn’t even want him back.

I think Gavin will be better than Cam.
The only way the team would be worse with Cam back is if he had chemistry issues with the new players - which seems unlikely but isn't impossible.
We're going to be better this year than we were last year.
I have high hopes for the guys we have this year, but our depth is non-existent right now and we have plenty of defensive question marks.

Not ready to proclaim we'll be better this year than last, but I'm still in wait and see mode for the roster completion.

I also think Griffiths has a higher ceiling than Spencer this year, but we would be a better team overall right now with Spencer also on the roster.

I have high hopes for the guys we have this year, but our depth is non-existent right now and we have plenty of defensive question marks.

Not ready to proclaim we'll be better this year than last, but I'm still in wait and see mode for the roster completion.

I also think Griffiths has a higher ceiling than Spencer this year, but we would be a better team overall right now with Spencer also on the roster.
Cam is great for what he is…but GG is going to draw the other team’s best 6’5”-6’8” defender. Griffiths will be a real problem for smaller defenders.

Cam is great for what he is…but GG is going to draw the other team’s best 6’5”-6’8” defender. Griffiths will be a real problem for smaller defenders.
I don't doubt that he will. But having Spencer next to him as another shooter would have been even better.

Would have loved to have had a starting five of Fernandes, Spencer, Griffiths, Mag, Omoruyi... with Simpson first off the bench. Ah well, water under the bridge at this point. Just waiting to see what else we bring in as depth at the 2/3 spots.

Williams missed an entire year and is coming off injury. Spencer is healthy and played well at the high major level at RU. It is obvious why Spencer was wanted by more major conference schools. I don’t take that as an indictment of Williams as a player. The players have vastly different circumstances and you have to take that into account. If healthy, Williams could do very well here.

The resume for Williams at Hartford is much more even compared to what Spencer did at Loyola. In fact, he was able to lead a team to the NCAAs which is something Spencer has not been able to do including at RU.
I agree, however, Loyola ran a lot of Princeton stuff where the focus wasn't really on one player scoring. Williams was looked to to score.

I skipped this thread the last week, because the same handful of people, keep arguing against what the staff did and either don't believe Gavin Griffiths is a legitimate player OR just ignore obvious facts.

Spencer is not as good as Gavin Griffiths....the move has been made and fans need to digest this. Spencer is not coming back, nor should he. End the discussion folks, he's simply not that good of a player.

Good/great spot up shooter.....great FT shooter....sure

Impact on winning games over 34 games?? Marginal.....
Again, you are arguing points that absolutely no one has made. It’s like you are arguing with yourself.

BTW, I am on record saying Gavin is going to kill it for us this year.

Last edited:

I'm somewhat concerned that the two starters we lost (Cam and Paul) knew how to play, regardless of their talent, and the two starters we have back (Mag and Cliff) are talented but don't have the same feel for the game as Cam and Paul.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I'm somewhat concerned that the two starters we lost (Cam and Paul) knew how to play, regardless of their talent, and the two starters we have back (Mag and Cliff) are talented but don't have the same feel for the game as Cam and Paul.
Noah has played a lot of high-level hoops.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Again, you are arguing points that absolutely no one has made. It’s like you are arguing with yourself.

BTW, I am on record saying Gavin is going to kill it for us this year.
Yup. He creates a straw man so he can still be right in his head. It never was a Cam vs Griffiths debate. Both were going to be on the roster together. Both would play major minutes. Cam at the 2. Gavin at the 3

You also get to ensure 1 sniper is on the floor at all times when one goes to the bench for a rest, foul trouble, or one just has a real off night.

If we had Griffiths on one wing and Cam on the other, that would create MASSIVE space for Noah, Simpson, or Davis to penetrate

I was thinking about this just yesterday and I came up with this for in conference/big games (excluding the 6 or so cupcake games):

1/2 Noah Fernandes 28
1 Jamichael Davis 10
1/2 Derek Simpson 22
2 Austin Williams 20
3/2 Gavin Griffiths 24
3/4 Mawot Mag 27
4 Aundre Hyatt 16
4 Antonio Chol 6
4/5 Antwone Woolfork 8
5 Emmanuel Ogbole 8
5 Cliff Omoruyi 31
Woolf is playing double those minutes.