ADVERTISEMENT

Bad News on the Horizon?

I'm 35 and I still prefer physical copies of books to electronic. It's an entirely different experience. Reading literature on an iPad or kindle just feels so empty to me.

Was hesitant to abandon my physical CDs and switch to an IPod years ago, but I've got all my music on the phone now lol. Books are different IMO.
I'm older, and I prefer reading on tablet for a several reasons:
1. Don't need to worry about ambient light or reading lamp.
2. Can adjust the font size as needed/desired.
3. No need to worry about physical bookmarks, the tablet brings you to where you left off.
4. Highlighting and saving meaningful passages are easy. I have some favorite books with one or both of dog-eared pages and tiny slips of paper to mark pages. No comparison.

I'm older, and I prefer reading on tablet for a several reasons:
1. Don't need to worry about ambient light or reading lamp.
2. Can adjust the font size as needed/desired.
3. No need to worry about physical bookmarks, the tablet brings you to where you left off.
4. Highlighting and saving meaningful passages are easy. I have some favorite books with one or both of dog-eared pages and tiny slips of paper to mark pages. No comparison.
I haven't tried any yet, but my sister (a true bookworm - she was an English major) says large-print texts are a game changer.
And we're not even that old 😄 😄 😄

Reactions: Knight Shift
Really not that familiar with either of their games out of college to be honest. Cliff has had some very good game. He also closed out the season with a 5 rebound effort against Hofstra though. Also - doesn’t he have to shine in this G-league camp to earn a combine invitiation? I don’t see him staying in the draft without that. It’s going to be hard for him to have a monster performance in a camp setting where guys who can create their own shots tend to lead the way. He’d have to really kill it on the glass.

Mitch Robinson dropped out of Western Kentucky and opted to go directly to the NBA Draft. He was a 2nd Rounder for the Knicks - he was super athletic but extremely raw with virtually no offensive game except for rim running and lobs. He was impressive enough to stick with a Knicks team (sucked at the time) and get a partially guaranteed contract (eventually a 3 year guarantee) and 's turned into a very good NBA Defensive focused center and rim protector.....enough to get him a 3 year $45M extension. After 4 seasons - he still has NO offensive game - can't remember when he even took a shot beyond a dunk or put-back.

Simms was the last player selected in the 2nd round and is probably a really good comp. to Cliff's potential. Extremely athletic with superior jumping ability. Was at Texas for 4 years - initially backup for Mo Bamba. Does not play much except for injuries and was on a 2 way contract his rookie season. Not much on offense except of rim running etc, however he has worked more on his offensive game in the NBA and shown signs of a Baby Hook and close range jumpers. Showed enough to turn it into a 3 year $5.6M partially guaranteed ($2.2M) contract with the Knicks. I think he will end up sticking around in the NBA as he also plays effectively in the pivot as a backup.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I haven't tried any yet, but my sister (a true bookworm - she was an English major) says large-print texts are a game changer.
And we're not even that old 😄 😄 😄
Define "that old!" 😖
My eyes went to hell after 3 years of law school many years ago. Still wear cheap readers. With regular books, newspapers, etc at night, I need a searchlight to see. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Cliff was never at any point the type of prospect Mitchell Robinson was. Mitchell was one of the best players in his high school class and got drafted in the high second round even after getting suspended and not even playing in college. He would have been a sure fire lottery pick if he wasn’t an idiot.

I’m not saying cliff is either of these guys I’m saying what cliff represents right now, is what both of those guys were - athletic, high fliers, no handle, no jumpers or back to the basket games, rim protectors. Both of em. Mitch still can’t shoot or dribble and both Mitch and Jericho thrive in PnR which is what cliff does well too. It’s not a wild concept to see cliff develop in the affiliate and get call ups here n there for a team.

I’m not saying cliff is either of these guys I’m saying what cliff represents right now, is what both of those guys were - athletic, high fliers, no handle, no jumpers or back to the basket games, rim protectors. Both of em. Mitch still can’t shoot or dribble and both Mitch and Jericho thrive in PnR which is what cliff does well too. It’s not a wild concept to see cliff develop in the affiliate and get call ups here n there for a team.
He’s a similar type but vastly inferior prospect. He’ll make more money in NIL than the G league. As most reports are saying, he’ll most likely be back.

Mitch in particular is a much taller and bigger guy than Cliff. A true 7’. Cliff we get measured at the G league event and I would bet in comes in at 6’9”.

Cliffs issue is his hands, his handle, and touch around the basket. He can hit an occasional 3… but he c doesn’t have soft hands at this point in his development
If I see another pass to him go off his hands and out of bounds I think I’m gonna cry

Cliffs issue is his hands, his handle, and touch around the basket. He can hit an occasional 3… but he c doesn’t have soft hands at this point in his development
Are his hands proportional to his body size? because he plays as if he has smaller hands.

And hands rarely go from bad to good.

Are his hands proportional to his body size? because he plays as if he has smaller hands.
There are some guys with disproportionately small hands that still catch the ball very well. Charles Barkley comes to mind.

Who was the NFL receiver that strengthened his hands by kneading through buckets of uncooked rice? Maybe he can do that. 😁

I've heard from many people that's a great grip workout. Fill bucket, put hands in and squeeze/twist.
Total cost is like $5.

Put a bucket of rice at the top of your stairs and do 5 squeezes each time you walk by.
I've seriously considered this.

Reactions: rucoe89 and RUPete
I've heard from many people that's a great grip workout. Fill bucket, put hands in and squeeze/twist.
Total cost is like $5.

Put a bucket of rice at the top of your stairs and do 5 squeezes each time you walk by.
Farmers walk is a good exercise for this

Reactions: NickRU714
You can change it to King Rice.

Interested in any trades? I need SP.
I stream SP and never draft them. I look at MLB odds and let LV tell me who to pitch.

Megill is -220 and game is 8 1/2 over under. Good enough for me.

Wainwright and Cobbs lines are looking pitchable right now for tomorrow

Reactions: ILikePike
I stream SP and never draft them. I look at MLB odds and let LV tell me who to pitch.

Megill is -220 and game is 8 1/2 over under. Good enough for me.

Wainwright and Cobbs lines are looking pitchable right now for tomorrow
I ll be taking Wainwright off my IL roster. I always like to use IL players after getting a start under their belt. Need to improve my WHIP and ERA.

Total cost is like $5.

This works - I’ve seen it and it’s been around for a thousand years..

Don’t any of you guys watch kung fu?

Reactions: czxqa
I'll try.
So any actual updates on this "bad news"?
Just how far away was this horizon?
After much soul searching, my family and I have decided it best for me to forgo my final four years of eligibility and retire from the sport I love. I'd like to thank the Rutgers staff and amazing fan base for everything. Please respect my decision.

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
I feel like "bad news on the horizon" is more of a metaphor for the common Rutgers basketball fans' outlook on the team than the overriding theme of this thread.

If I was going to enter the transfer portal I wouldn’t wait a week to do so. I would just do it. Is any of our players actually in the portal.
Only if you were sure and not “on the fence” about what to do.

Think of it like a decision on which college your going to choose coming out of high school (not a sports kid regular admissions). You got in to 3 places and you’ve visited all of them and you have until May 11th to accept or decline admission offers. There’s no reason to rush. You have until that day to decide.

techically shouldnt a player not be talking to other until they are on the portal?

But exactly to your sentiment...being on the fence is different that we are going to lose someone

techically shouldnt a player not be talking to other until they are on the portal?

But exactly to your sentiment...being on the fence is different that we are going to lose someone

I have zero inside scoop here but In Pike’s case - all our guys seem to have good relationships with him. I don’t see there being any blindsides. Whether it’s Mag, Dean, Miller whoever, I bet their first stop is Pike. If your a kid like Mag this is probably a tough decision. He has no idea how this year will go with his recovery. That creates a whole ton of unknowns for him with all the recruiting hype for the following year.

I have zero inside scoop here but In Pike’s case - all our guys seem to have good relationships with him. I don’t see there being any blindsides. Whether it’s Mag, Dean, Miller whoever, I bet their first stop is Pike. If your a kid like Mag this is probably a tough decision. He has no idea how this year will go with his recovery. That creates a whole ton of unknowns for him with all the recruiting hype for the following year.
I'd be almost certain there will be no blindsides.

Players are free agents and they need to assess their situation similar to a professional sports free agent. I would think nothing differently if Mag ended up leaving the program. I would still root for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT