ADVERTISEMENT

Bad News on the Horizon?

The takes in here are wild hahah. Always need a good laugh to start my morning, and this message board provides it in doses. The educated guess everyone is Cliff is staying pro after the latest invites he got. Makes the most logical sense. As someone who has worked for two NBA teams, he has the frame, the length, athleticism, and we can just develop him in our G league affiliate and if we lose a big or two for a night, call him up. Makes the most sense to me, I don’t see Derek or Mag or Paul leaving.
Not even one of 80 people invited to the nba combine. Guess nba teams disagree. He’ll be suiting up for Rutgers next year.

Not even one of 80 people invited to the nba combine. Guess nba teams disagree. He’ll be suiting up for Rutgers next year.
Agreed - I actually think there’s more of a chance we keep him for 2 more years than -0-. That’s the trend with big men. And next year there’d be a chance of real NIL for him if we play in an overseas tourney.

Agreed - I actually think there’s more of a chance we keep him for 2 more years than -0-. That’s the trend with big men. And next year there’d be a chance of real NIL for him if we play in an overseas tourney.
100%. People don’t even talk about him coming back for his 5th year but that could definitely happen as it’s very unlikely his draft stock rises this year. I fear he could go the hunter Dickinson route and go to the highest bidder though. Couldn’t blame him if he does though.

LOL - Have you heard about this new thing they call bluetooth?
To use Bluetooth you must have the music saved to your phone or other device. That requires paying for it somehow - like a subscription service. Which I have never done.
So Bluetooth doesn't help in this case.

To use Bluetooth you must have the music saved to your phone or other device. That requires paying for it somehow - like a subscription service. Which I have never done.
So Bluetooth doesn't help in this case.
LOL @ "saved to your phone or other device"
Have you heard of streaming? Spotify?
Do you have Amazon Prime?

That's not really news. Clif was always highly unlikely to get a combine invite.

He's been likely undrafted from the moment he declared and nothing it really going to change that.

His decision has always been: Am I done with college basketball or do I want to try to go pro (G-League/overseas) and make some money.

NBA Draft was never in the cards.

Edey was invited to the combine. I hope that guy gets drafted and Cliff stays for another year. That would be net positive for RU in that scenario.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Edey was invited to the combine. I hope that guy gets drafted and Cliff stays for another year. That would be net positive for RU in that scenario.

He's in the late 2nd/unlikely drafted boat as well.
I would imagine he returns - Luka Garza wash and repeat.

Being CPOY is meaningless at the next level. He'd be a disaster defensively at the next level.

Reactions: LotusAggressor
Garza plays in the league

Ok. So? Now sure what that has to do with Edey or Garza and the draft process.

Garza declared for the 2020 draft after winning National POY as a junior. Pulled out of the draft because he was likely late 2nd/undrafted and returned to college.

Eventually when he ran out of eligibility, he had to stay in the 2021 draft and was a late 2nd pick (#52).

So....as I said.....I would imagine Edey returns just like Garza did. He has eligibility left.

Same as Hunter Dickinson isn't "going pro" yet.
Same as Kofi Cockburn declared for the draft 3 times before just staying in and going undrafted.

Ok. So? Now sure what that has to do with Edey or Garza and the draft process.

Garza declared for the 2020 draft after winning National POY as a junior. Pulled out of the draft because he was likely late 2nd/undrafted and returned to college.

Eventually when he ran out of eligibility, he had to stay in the 2021 draft and was a late 2nd pick (#52).

So....as I said.....I would imagine Edey returns just like Garza did. He has eligibility left.

Same as Hunter Dickinson isn't "going pro" yet.
Same as Kofi Cockburn declared for the draft 3 times before just staying in and going undrafted.
I think what he was saying is that Garza is a very different player than Cliff - If Cliff were as skilled as Garza he'd be a lottery pick.
Garza had another year of eligibility remaining BTW

Reactions: NickRU714
I think what he was saying is that Garza is a very different player than Cliff - If Cliff were as skilled as Garza he'd be a lottery pick.

But he’s not and there also was no NIL when Garza made that decision. Bigs are making life changing sums of money for agreeing to return to college for an additional season. The G-league pays peanuts.

Yes - there are be abroad opportunities but once you go play in Europe your basically giving up your chance to play in the league (but for a few rare excepts that’s the general trajectory). Remaining in school still provides a potential path to make the league and offers a way to get paid now too.

Oh ya - the extra COVID year. Same as RHJ could have technically returned as well, right?

I was responding to a post about Edey getting a combine invite and hoping he stayed in the draft.
Similar to Garza - despite winning POY and all the accolades he's unlike to get drafted and probably returns.

If it pretty funny this year.
The #1 overall pick is a 7'4" center (I've heard Wembanyama is likely taller but doesn't want it known. I think that's why he's not attending the Combine).

Meanwhile Edey is also 7'4" and probably returns because he wouldn't get drafted.

Oh ya - the extra COVID year. Same as RHJ could have technically returned as well, right?

I was responding to a post about Edey getting a combine invite and hoping he stayed in the draft.
Similar to Garza - despite winning POY and all the accolades he's unlike to get drafted and probably returns.

If it pretty funny this year.
The #1 overall pick is a 7'4" center (I've heard Wembanyama is likely taller but doesn't want it known. I think that's why he's not attending the Combine).

Meanwhile Edey is also 7'4" and probably returns because he wouldn't get drafted.
Yup - Garza had COVID year remaining.

I agree, Edey/Cliff/Garza/Dickinson are similar in that regard
Cliff stands out from the group for his athleticism and lack of skill/basketball abiility
Garza is the most skilled

Reactions: NickRU714
He gets a chance to earn an invite at the g league elite. We'll see, either way.
Yup he does. But it’s going to be tough for him to stand out at this type of event because his game requires someone to feed him the ball. If I’m Cliff - I’m hoping to be assigned to Nowell’s team (KState PG who had those assists).

Cliff's 2 highest potential earning years from basketball is probably the next 2 years. Not getting a NBA combine invite should have been Cliff's wake up call. I don't know how NIL impacts him and how other schools can get around it. If I were Cliff I'd try and get myself as good as a deal as i could get. Allow Rutgers the opportunity if we are close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT