ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Alvarez- Ash "probably a little further along than we were when I got there."

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...ez-chris-ash-right-rutgers-football/82830914/

Lots of other good info and quotes in the article:

"We really had to start from scratch. When you are an assistant coach, like I was, and you go to a Division I school in a big conference like Chris did, you have to take bad jobs and make them good.”

“Sometimes you have to reboot things and get people that have come from programs that have been successful (to) rejuvenate the alums, rejuvenate everybody in the system,” Alvarez said.

“One of the best pieces of advice I ever got when I took over: You want to be a good athletic director, win in football and everything else falls into place,” Alvarez said.

“We win, we fill the place up – which we did in a few years – and then you can build a new basketball arena and then you can build an indoor golf and an indoor softball (arena). You can do a new hockey facility. All those things come because you are filling up the football stadium.”

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...ez-chris-ash-right-rutgers-football/82830914/

Lots of other good info and quotes in the article:

"We really had to start from scratch. When you are an assistant coach, like I was, and you go to a Division I school in a big conference like Chris did, you have to take bad jobs and make them good.”

“Sometimes you have to reboot things and get people that have come from programs that have been successful (to) rejuvenate the alums, rejuvenate everybody in the system,” Alvarez said.

“One of the best pieces of advice I ever got when I took over: You want to be a good athletic director, win in football and everything else falls into place,” Alvarez said.

“We win, we fill the place up – which we did in a few years – and then you can build a new basketball arena and then you can build an indoor golf and an indoor softball (arena). You can do a new hockey facility. All those things come because you are filling up the football stadium.”
It also helps to have an 80k-plus capacity stadium to fill up.

Not a huge difference. And when Barry Alvarez started as coach, it was closer to 75,000. At $50/ticket (which costs were not high back then), for 6 home games, assuming sellouts, that is an additional $6,000,000 in revenue per year.

I'd rather look at the positive upsides of the article.

I was at the BWI site, and many don't think the 100,000 seat stadium is needed anymore. Many thought that 65,000-85,000 was a good size. With so many fans watching college football in the conform of home on a large screen TV, they felt it was to much trouble to spend 2 days to go to a game in Happy Valley. In the past, only 1 or 2 Penn State games were on TV but now all the games are on TV.

I was at the BWI site, and many don't think the 100,000 seat stadium is needed anymore. Many thought that 65,000-85,000 was a good size. With so many fans watching college football in the conform of home on a large screen TV, they felt it was to much trouble to spend 2 days to go to a game in Happy Valley. In the past, only 1 or 2 Penn State games were on TV but now all the games are on TV.
This isn't true, penn state had a rediculous run up until the late 2000s where every game for many many years was televised (well before big ten network) how do you think so many jersey people who never went to college there became fans?

This isn't true, penn state had a rediculous run up until the late 2000s where every game for many many years was televised (well before big ten network) how do you think so many jersey people who never went to college there became fans?
Reppin Jerk, he quoted te BWI site!!! 100k stadiums are useless since high def tv and conference networks let people stay home . Rutgers is at an advantage having a smaller stadium- ticket is more desirable and looks better on TV, your precious PSU is not perfect , deal with it

Reppin Jerk, he quoted te BWI site!!! 100k stadiums are useless since high def tv and conference networks let people stay home . Rutgers is at an advantage having a smaller stadium- ticket is more desirable and looks better on TV, your precious PSU is not perfect , deal with it

REPPIN JERZ REALLY IS WATCHING THIS BOARD 24/7 FOR ANY PENN STATE POSTING. I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHO HE IS REPORTING THE INFORMATION TO. IT TOOK HIM 31 MINUTES TO FIND THE POSTING.

I remember when Alverez took over around 1990 i sent a vhs tape of some of my highlights and they were intrested but i had maturity issues.....we have more talent than they had but thats not saying much the way Flood recruited, Ash and staff will need to perform beyond expectations in terms of recruiting imo to bring in the talent needed

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Reppin jerk is a jerk , the more you get to read his post, the more you see he's a PSU apologist, who didn't go there but is totally in the cult. He doesn't respond to my notes anymore aince I call him out on his BS

REPPIN JERZ REALLY IS WATCHING THIS BOARD 24/7 FOR ANY PENN STATE POSTING. I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHO HE IS REPORTING THE INFORMATION TO. IT TOOK HIM 31 MINUTES TO FIND THE POSTING.
Is it necessary to use all capital letters? It was the first thread on the forum...it really was hard to find...I just wanted to point out one of your inaccurate statements...and kind of hypocritical if you were on the BWI board no? What per se were you doing over there? Trolling?

Is it necessary to use all capital letters? It was the first thread on the forum...it really was hard to find...I just wanted to point out one of your inaccurate statements...and kind of hypocritical if you were on the BWI board no? What per se were you doing over there? Trolling?
The difference is I don't post negative comments about Penn State on their board like you do on our board. Almost all your posts have a slight negative view of Rutgers. I don't even post negative comments about Penn State on this board but you are so sensitive about anything Penn State, you don't want us to talk about them.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT