ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball – – the sacrifice bunt

80RU

All Conference
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2011
With a runner in scoring position, early in the game, with no score, and nobody out – – I never liked the strategy in that situation. A failed sacrifice followed by two strikeouts hurt us today after we had runners on first and second with nobody out with no score In the fourth. I guess the fear is a potential double play, but if that happens you still have a runner in scoring position typically.

Generally I agree but he was probably thinking he had his ace on the mound and they had their ace and hoping to get a lead early. Also coming off of a bad loss and wanting to get acgood start. I don't think it was a horrible thought but generally I agree I would play for a big inning early in the game. I don't know where he was in the lineup, that is a factor too.

Many teams may do the same especially if there are weaknesses in hitting... at this time we are not an exceptionally good or talented team...Harry Rutkowski is an outstanding player at RU and was at Woodbridge High School but ... we can’t expect him to pitch shutouts and 1-2 run games each outing... If we can’t hit better no matter how good our top 3 pitchers are we won’t win consistently enough going forward ... for me you can win small ball but you still need some guys who can park it in the lot every so often... who do we have that has shown that consistency?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT