ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball roster

80RU

All Conference
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2011
I see that it is trimmed all the way down to 31 (35 is the maximum). I count about eight people that had remaining eligibility that are off the roster. A couple of them kind of surprised me.

Yes noticed that as well. It looks like patel and albert and mcintrye were not retained from the freshman. I bit surprised with patel as he was fairly highly rated. Of the other players I was surprised thegerace kyle wasnt kept as he was a solid. I dont know what the issue was, unfortunately it looks like neglia is done. He was very promising a couple years ago. Hope he is well. I definitely think the staff knows what they are doing. It will be interesting to see how catcher and infield work out with owens able to play high level infield and catch.

which were the changes that surprised you?
Russo, Sternberg, DeRosa I had been told had potential. On the other hand I remember hearing last year that Gerace had opted not to come back. But generally I was surprised that the roster went down to 31 instead of just being trimmed to 35.

I think owens has brought in multiple players for a single roster spot in the past and I like it in general with the last few. Also with the roster and the most recent class it was obviously litterio's so he may well have not wanted certain guys which could explain cutting to 31. Derosa hadnt done much and russo was decent in limited time as a frosh. Though with rodriguez and scheikofer I am thinking the of will be much better.

Not familiar with the normal composition of college baseball rosters. Assume the maximum # of 35 includes kids getting some scholarship money and those receiving none? Any idea how widely spread the scholarship money is in baseball? Would you give any kid (Brownlie, Frazier, Gardner) more than a half scholarship? Finally if you have a max roster of 35 what would be the normal split between position players and pitchers? 25/10?

Baseball is a partial sport so you have different percentages 30 40 60 ect. It used to be that you could give 1 percent in theory. Now if you offer any money it must be at least 25 percent. Generally speaking the pitchers and the players up the middle get the most catcher short centerfield. However, it wouldnt be unusual for a lower level program to offer a 100 percent to a pitcher or position player that would be getting solid money at a big program to try and and get them. Also there is academic money in baseball that wouldnt count against scholarships number.

Baseball is a partial sport so you have different percentages 30 40 60 ect. It used to be that you could give 1 percent in theory. Now if you offer any money it must be at least 25 percent. Generally speaking the pitchers and the players up the middle get the most catcher short centerfield. However, it wouldnt be unusual for a lower level program to offer a 100 percent to a pitcher or position player that would be getting solid money at a big program to try and and get them. Also there is academic money in baseball that wouldnt count against scholarships number.

Thanks

There is always going to be turnover with new regimes ESPECIALLY in Olympic spirts where fewer kids are on full scholarships et al. Nothing surprising here.

Reactions: rubaseball78
There is always going to be turnover with new regimes ESPECIALLY in Olympic spirts where fewer kids are on full scholarships et al. Nothing surprising here.
In general, not surprising. But in this particular instance, I did find it a bit surprising. With 38 on the roster for the fall semester, we knew there would be no more than 35 for the spring. I thought it was just surprising that it went all the way to 31, 4 under the limit.

I think owens has brought in multiple players for a single roster spot in the past and I like it in general with the last few. Also with the roster and the most recent class it was obviously litterio's so he may well have not wanted certain guys which could explain cutting to 31. Derosa hadnt done much and russo was decent in limited time as a frosh. Though with rodriguez and scheikofer I am thinking the of will be much better.
I understand what you are saying, and I think it’s a given that the lineup will be much stronger. Partially because it was shaping up to be a bit stronger even if the old regime had remained, and partially because the new staff is making it stronger yet. But I don’t understand cutting below 35; you never know when a couple of injuries at the same position will happen, and the roster can’t be replenished mid season. I just expected roster cuts to 35 this year, and for more cuts next season when new recruits are lined up to take those spots.

In general, not surprising. But in this particular instance, I did find it a bit surprising. With 38 on the roster for the fall semester, we knew there would be no more than 35 for the spring. I thought it was just surprising that it went all the way to 31, 4 under the limit.

Maybe more to come?

Reactions: rucoe89
Think it means there will either be new players or certain players were told they wouldnt be getting money/playing time and decided to move on.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Is it possible that another player or a few could still be added for the spring semester? I just hope we see some definite improvement over these last few years.

Definitely. I just saw a tweet from what I clearly a walkon saying that he is continuing his athletic career at rutgers. There is also the case of potentially having a few intramural players join the squad. That has happened previously. We have a hugely improved staff. I expect a major improvement and a sustained improvement. Owens isnt just cutting players without being aware of how that integrates into his plan. He is a talented coach who has been successful for a long time.

OK — roster is now down to 30. I will be curious to see if there are actually walk on‘s already on campus whom the coach plans to add in order to reach the 35 player cap for 2020.

Is there a Freshman or JV team roster/schedule? How does this work relative to the 35 player limit, if at all?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT