ADVERTISEMENT

I checked how the baseball transfers out are doing at their new schools.

80RU

All Conference
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2011
Evan Sleight is hitting in the mid 400s and has started every game at Alabama. Jason Shockley has started every game and is the leading hitter at Richmond. Danny Melnick has started every game and is the leading hitter at Seton Hall. Among the lineup players who transferred out, only Maximus Martin is not playing very much – – he is at Georgia State. Wyatt Parliament is a weekend starter at Virginia Tech and has been really good so far. Garrett French pitched a couple of innings at Maryland and did OK. Matt Rowe is off to a tough start at Sienna. I don’t see that Bello and Besser are still playing.

I remember when the staff came in about five recruits from the prior staff were cut loose – – not a single one of them ever did anything.

The reason why I find this interesting is that it says something about how this staff has recruited and developed players, and what kind of depth they have recruited so that even some quality players could not see the field very much here. It tells me that in a short time this staff has developed a program that reloads rather than rebuilds.

It's really awesome to see this breakdown, especially for Evan. Hope Max can turn it around but hard to ignore the irony of him not getting much playing time--at a weaker program no less. Grass isn't always greener!

It's really awesome to see this breakdown, especially for Evan. Hope Max can turn it around but hard to ignore the irony of him not getting much playing time--at a weaker program no less. Grass isn't always greener!
On top of that for Max, one of the problems he had here was that he wanted to play on the left side, not second base. And I looked and saw that he was at second base when he did play at Georgia State.

Max is a victim of modern baseball training analytics.
He’s got all the launch and bat speed numbers, great rotation and strength.

But can’t play a lick.

All these kids playing travel select teams, traveling and training at 10 years old would be much better off playing stick ball, whiffle ball, burn out, pop ups, rundowns and fielding endless grounders off the wall till the streets lights come on.
You can suddenly switch to playing 2 on 2 football, basketball or tag at any time just for fun!

Last edited:

But can’t play a lick.

All these kids playing travel select teams, traveling and training at 10 years old would be much better off playing stick ball, whiffle ball, burn out, pop ups, rundowns and fielding endless grounders off the wall till the streets lights come on.
You can suddenly switch to playing 2 on 2 tag football, basketball or tag at any time just for fun!
You've been preaching this for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately parents don't read or understand it. They put their eggs (and dreams) all in one basket. The idea of letting a kid be a kid and just having fun playing sports is low on the list.

They need to revive the town vs town snowball fights😉

Reactions: zappaa
You've been preaching this for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately parents don't read or understand it. They put their eggs (and dreams) all in one basket. The idea of letting a kid be a kid and just having fun playing sports is low on the list.

They need to revive the town vs town snowball fights😉

😊😊😊
I fear Gavin fits the modern player training example.

Evan Sleight is hitting in the mid 400s and has started every game at Alabama. Jason Shockley has started every game and is the leading hitter at Richmond. Danny Melnick has started every game and is the leading hitter at Seton Hall. Among the lineup players who transferred out, only Maximus Martin is not playing very much – – he is at Georgia State. Wyatt Parliament is a weekend starter at Virginia Tech and has been really good so far. Garrett French pitched a couple of innings at Maryland and did OK. Matt Rowe is off to a tough start at Sienna. I don’t see that Bello and Besser are still playing.

I remember when the staff came in about five recruits from the prior staff were cut loose – – not a single one of them ever did anything.

The reason why I find this interesting is that it says something about how this staff has recruited and developed players, and what kind of depth they have recruited so that even some quality players could not see the field very much here. It tells me that in a short time this staff has developed a program that reloads rather than rebuilds.
Evan Sleight is playing everyday for Alabama (as is Ian Petrutz, the Maryland refugee that went with Coach Vaughn) and having a great season.

It'll be a great day when northern teams can become such a magnet for talent like that. Petrutz is a South Jersey kid, actually...

Don’t hold your breath on your aspirations for northern baseball teams. Rutgers football winning in Columbus OH has a higher probability.

But can’t play a lick.

You can suddenly switch to playing 2 on 2 football, basketball or tag at any time just for fun!
You tell 'em Zap.

But can’t play a lick.

You hit it out of the park Zap.

I do not follow the baseball team as closely as I should. Are we holding on to productive and established players? Have we lost any established pitchers? Through the years, I attended games in south Florida, especially when we played FGCU. I am not sorry we dropped Miami from the schedule. And it slayed me when we used to play Florida Atlantic and their coach was NJ native (and former Long Valley NJ resident) Kevin Cooney. Florida Atlantic handled us, too.

See the original post. It seems that the only one who left who would have been an every day lineup player here is Evan Sleight. Others are playing every day at their new schools, but they would have been back ups here I believe.

They lost one long reliever/occasional starter who is a Weeknd starter now at Virginia Tech – – Parliament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT