ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 12 STONEHILL: Suck it up Buttercups

i haven’t seen every game but i’ve coached high school ball for almost 20 years and we always have plays to get our shooters the ball. Usually it’s running off staggered or baseline screens or flare screens. Or other action is screen the screener where the shooter screens someone( usually a back screen for a big and then gets a screen to pop out for a 3. These are all the actions that we’ve run over the years and actions i constantly see other teams running to get their shooters open. I am scouting 3/4 games a week and watching multiple games of each team. If these type of actions are run constantly for years in high school and the players can execute it, I am not sure why college players and coaches can’t do the same. Not only might it get your shooter looks, but it opens up looks for other people with the defense focusing on the shooter. I really just don’t understand and if we’ve run some of these actions for gavin, correct me if i’m wrong but i haven’t seen them
For reasons I don’t understand, our coach is enamored with iso basketball, which I suppose is fine if you have the talent to consistently beat defenders one and one, but Pike seems unwilling or unable to adapt to the players he has. He should be running lots of screens to get Noah, Gavin and Hyatt open looks, but he just doesn’t want to do that, and he is not suddenly going to change midseason when they have not practiced this at all.

Last edited:
More upset with the silly Gavin turnovers. He does have court sense as still had some rebounds. Shooting will come but agree cant just be standing in the corner. Need some movement.

Not a Carino fan at all but the bashing of Simpson is over the top. Carino pains me to say is sorta right.

Simpson not getting enough credit. Sure his shooting percentage wasn’t great, but he had a very nice all around game with 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and a clutch 3 point shot, saving us from perhaps the most embarrassing loss in RU history.
The shots he missed were good ones. His speed is needed. Reminds me of many of you bashing Jacob Young before he made some of the most amazing plays in RU history. Simpson deserves kudos and not bashing. Nobody else was scoring. He wasn’t afraid to take the ball.

Granted Gavin and Hyatt missed a lot of shots but the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about in today’s game is Mag.

1 for 9 and three rebounds against Stonehill isn’t cutting it. Know coming back from injury is hard and can’t be critical but
Blame has to be spread equally. Those numbers hurt us as much as anything.

We got nearly zaro in rhe high post flash

And yet found 28 three point shots that were mostly open

A lot of todah was mental …and not having an alpha to take control of the huddle when things are out of whack
Totally agree on the alpha. There isn't one. There is no on floor leadership and it shows
For reasons I don’t understand, our coach is enamored with iso basketball, which I suppose is fine if you have the talent to consistently beat defenders one and one, but Pike seems unwilling or unable to adapt to the players he has. He should be running lots of screens to get Noah, Gavin and Hyatt open looks, but he just doesn’t want to do that, and he is not suddenly going to change midseason when they have no practiced this at all.
This. Next year the offense will be fine letting Dylan and Ace cook. They aren't here yet. Run an offense and get people the ball in situations they can score
More upset with the silly Gavin turnovers. He does have court sense as still had some rebounds. Shooting will come but agree cant just be standing in the corner. Need some movement.

Not a Carino fan at all but the bashing of Simpson is over the top.

Simpson not getting enough credit. Sure his shooting percentage wasn’t great, but he had a very nice all around game with rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and a clutch 3 point shot saving us from perhaps the most embarrassing loss in RU history.
The shots he missed were good ones. His speed is needed. Reminds me of many of you bashing Jacob Young before he made some of the most amazing plays in RU history.

Granted Gavin and Hyatt missed a lot of shots but the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about in today’s game is Mag.

1 for 9 and three rebounds against Stonehill isn’t cutting it. Know coming back from injury is hard and can’t be critical but
Blame has to be spread equally. Those numbers hurt us as much as anything.
It's not about Simpson bashing it's about Carino taking a victory lap on Simpson for a big shot when he had a horrible shooting game

For reasons I don’t understand, our coach is enamored with iso basketball, which I suppose is fine if you have the talent to consistently beat defenders one and one, but Pike seems unwilling or unable to adapt to the players he has. He should be running lots of screens to get Noah, Gavin and Hyatt open looks, but he just doesn’t want to do that, and he is not suddenly going to change midseason when they have no practiced this at all.
it actually makes no sense. Even the teams with nba players on it don’t run exclusively iso. Does anyone watch Uconn or kansas? Its criminal that we don’t run better stuff

Before I get started, kudos to Stonehill. They really deserved this win and worked hard to keep themselves in and chip away. They certainly didnt play a great game or even shoot well. The better TEAM did not win actually.

Before this game, I accepted this team is not going to make the NCAA tournament and likely headed to a bottom 4 Big 10 spot. I recognized its a poorly constructed team with a lack of true Big 10 talent with little identity but still some pieces for Pikeill to work with going forward. . However today was a revelation even for me. I thought that with acceptance I would not have to write harsh recaps or any recap for this game really. Rutgers exceeded any definition of bad basketball today. You all saw it. You saw the stats. TWO FRIGGING MADE FIELD GOALS (both by Hyatt) IN THE LAST 15 MINUTES before Dereks game winner against a school down to 6 scholorship players rated as one of the worst in all of college basketball.

Everyone can understand a team playing down to its level of opponent during the holidays. Its understandable if you shoot poorly, lack the energy but still put forth enough effort to win by 10-12 whatever. That wasnt this. This was a team so messy and weak that it was in a buzzer beater down to the last second. This looked like a team completely in tatters with no confidence, leadership but as you dig down deeper you realize the talent level is just so poor here and it becomes somewhat understandable this game was close. In most of recaps this year RU has endured some hideous scoring droughts. This is a constant. Trouble was brewing vs LIU (another bottom 20 team) only down 7 and stifled for 5-6 minutes in the 2nd half. Against better teams like Wake, Illinois and Mississippi State the scoring droughts were painful. These are not going away. These are constants. Rutgers does not half the defense they used to have so forget about that carrying them through. This team goes through adversity every single game and cowers in the corner everytime. They panic. Pike panics. The whole thing unravels into an unsightly mess. Certainly not the way we have been accumstomed to Rutgers basketball under Pikiell. I do not see anyone willing to step up and say wait a minute, we need to stop this and work on our shots, keep our heads down and do our thing. Instead we see the team repeatedly engage in an act of self flaggellation time and time again up the court.

Not having J Mike today hurt no question. Its unfortunate because this is a game where he could have shown his stuff. We have seen flashes from him and we see him becoming more comfortable game by game. Its a no brainer that he is our point guard and not Noah. Sadly J Mike is the only bright spot on the team currently. Still should the loss of one player cause a complete horror show like we saw today. I am not talking about next year..Pike recruited an incredible class. This year is this year and Pikes thread the needle approach to recruiting which has seen more than its share of misses caught up to us last year and unfortunately the ugly mess on full display this year. Pike brought in a portal point guard in the A10 that is producing nothing. That was before the defections of Cam and Paul and one can argue that Paul would still be here if Noah was not brought in. Obviously Pike got caught with bad luck with Cam/Paul but that is part of managing a program. Maybe then you do not take in a transfer guard who is sitting or maybe you dont take a flyer on a injured center who is sitting and remember Noah himself was injured. I was never a big fan of Hyatt. He has been okay this year but I didnt think he was that good today even with 15. When he is your leading offensive player who is one dimensional shooting 3 for 10 then you know you are in trouble but thats where RU is at. Cliff has shown not to be a legitimate offensive threat. Today Cliff never could get anything clean and was fouled on most of his shot attempts. Did decent at the line, just enough for RU to score any points in the last 10 minutes. That there is no easy way for Cliff to score or to pass out for an open shot is a big indictment on Pike and where this program is. Derek made a game winning 3. Great, unlike Jerrry Carino who made some ridiculous tweet about it digging RU fans who are still laughing at his column from 3 years back, making one shot does erase a ton of bricks today and blown layups and the sheer idea of him putting up 14 shots is ludricous. But Pike allows this and in fact encourages it. If people want to get warm fuzzies because he hit a big shot late....by all means go ahead, go ahead and celebrate the idea of a last second shot needed against a glorified high school team.

And then the biggest issue this season is Gavin Griffiths. Much heralded but seems to be regressing in the wrong direction. At this point his mistakes seem to be magnified. Gavin was bad early but didnt get much chance to redeem himself. Certainly not the same rope as Noah and Hyatt and Derek seem to get. The thing is Gavin based on his high school credentials has the most upside. We saw a few glimpses earlier this year. Sorry but just sticking the guy on the perimeter and telling him to shoot 3s makes me question if this coaching staff is putting in the TRULY hard work it needs to get this program better this season. Because without a developing Gavin in the offense, RU is going to be on the short of end of some 75-50 scores this year in the Big 10. I am not giving up on Gavin at this point but clearly if Pike and staff do not change their thinking about integrating him into the offense or on the quick yanks on his mistakes where exactly is the offense coming from? Does Pike just think Derek will shoot himself into 20 point games is he takes 20 shots. RU is becoming pathetically predictable to defend on offense...and that was by Stonehill. Plus we have guys just jacking up 3 after 3 after 3 even in crunch time but its infuriating that RU took that many 3s in this game. The main concern today was to just get a lead and coast from there working on some different stuff. Instead RU had zero flow in the first half and the concern then reverted to just trying to eek out the win.

It all comes back to talent, talent, talent and its not there this year. Yet this team is not even playing with energy or much care. Pike's teams have all been known for lunch pail and working hard but I do not see it in them this year. That is on them but its also on PIke. I think the coaching staff is still confused at what to do, almost a hands in the air approach and its pretty lame to see Pike trying to get the RAC crowd on its feet to lift them to a win over lowly Stonehill. To its credit the RAC was loud today, might be the loudest it is all season.

Maybe this team will be limited by their talent but they sure hell can put forth a better effort and actually care. I mean they do get paid now. Next November cannot come soon enough but we all still have to get through this year and we all do not want to watch a bunch of fragile players night in and out. SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUPS! There is nothing worse in sports than being called soft
The B1G season is going to be brutal. Did DH sign yet?

Reactions: runner3283
To me, Gavin just looks like a kid whose confidence is way down. He needs to stop settling for quick trigger, tough 3s. Needs to play downhill and make people respect his ability to drive. It's there we've seen it before. When he does it it's an obvious "oh wow" moment. If he makes people respect that his 3s will fall at a way higher %.

Personally I don't think Pike is telling him to go hide in the corner. From all we've heard from recruits Pike's offense is very free flowing which is very appealing to kids like Dylan and Ace. Gavin has the freedom to attack off the bounce, he's just being tentative for a ton of reasons. Still firmly believe he'll be fine and a stud in the long run, just not going to happen as quickly as we all hoped.

Reactions: FastMJ
The softness and poor recruiting talk.

Has anyone been able to explain this yet…

I get the idea that Pike might have either had trouble recruiting top recruits in years past and/or passed up some of those opportunities for the right culture fit.

But…I thought at the end of the day, he was only taking players that were a cultural fit. Which includes toughness.

Even if talent is down in recruiting classes, how is toughness an issue for us…????

• Sad
Reactions: cRURah
Very discouraging watching the game today. And it wasn't just because the score was so close . It was because Rutgers hardly looked like the better team. There was no aspect of the game that Rutgers excelled. They can't shoot , they can't rebound, and they play poor defense. It may be the single worst rebounding and defensive minded team in the Pike era. Do the players care? If so they have a funny way of showing it.....You would think that as the game began to slip away that some player would have stepped up and called out his fellow teammates. But nothing.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Zero players played well today though. Cliff's numbers were pretty good actually but we couldn't get him the ball everrrr
Plus Cliff must have thrown some of the worst bricks several times today that were worthy of middle school players

Reactions: Kbee3
It’s pretty pathetic that this team is ready to defer to an under-recruited freshman guard (who we missed today) to lead them. No alpha genes in Simpson, Noah, or Williams (or anyone for that matter). Hopefully Davis “runs” with it when he’s back.
I actually think Simpson has the alpha gene. He has chutzpah. He just doesn't have the ability to hit the shots he creates for himself. It's a damn shame, too, because his speed and quickness create open looks.

Seems to me that Pike still hasn’t figured out his rotation. Substitutions seem haphazard with no rhyme or reason to his on court combinations. Having coached his players for months before the season it doesn’t make sense to my amateur eyes that he still doesn’t know what each player’s strengths and weaknesses are

i haven’t seen every game but i’ve coached high school ball for almost 20 years and we always have plays to get our shooters the ball. Usually it’s running off staggered or baseline screens or flare screens. Or other action is screen the screener where the shooter screens someone( usually a back screen for a big and then gets a screen to pop out for a 3. These are all the actions that we’ve run over the years and actions i constantly see other teams running to get their shooters open. I am scouting 3/4 games a week and watching multiple games of each team. If these type of actions are run constantly for years in high school and the players can execute it, I am not sure why college players and coaches can’t do the same. Not only might it get your shooter looks, but it opens up looks for other people with the defense focusing on the shooter. I really just don’t understand and if we’ve run some of these actions for gavin, correct me if i’m wrong but i haven’t seen them

Agreed. So basically the plays we have run for RHJ or Geo or Cam etc for the last 4 years we should be running for GG?

Ive said this for years but no one ever wants to hear it. For 8 years now pike simply hasnt run anything resembling a half competent half court offense.

Its at the point where you have to wonder if they even emphasis it.

Again, great guy, great defensive coach but just putrid when it comes to coaching offense

For reasons I don’t understand, our coach is enamored with iso basketball, which I suppose is fine if you have the talent to consistently beat defenders one and one, but Pike seems unwilling or unable to adapt to the players he has. He should be running lots of screens to get Noah, Gavin and Hyatt open looks, but he just doesn’t want to do that, and he is not suddenly going to change midseason when they have not practiced this at all.

He’s enamored with it because it’s mindless to coach and allows them to focus on defense and preserved energy. Running through a million screens is more tiring and takes away from max effort on D. It works when you have the right type of players that thrive in ball screen and create offense but obviously doesn’t with the type of players we have. Problem is that I don’t think he’s capable of actually coaching a real offense.

How did we get so bad so fast?
Simple. 60% of our starters were replaced with guys that aren't playing well. And the other 40% hasn't played consistently well, especially with that other 60% not there to support them.

I actually think Simpson has the alpha gene. He has chutzpah. He just doesn't have the ability to hit the shots he creates for himself. It's a damn shame, too, because his speed and quickness create open looks.
What stood out for Simpson was the green sneakers.He can create shots off the dribble but has a low percentage making shots.I give him credit for wanting the ball at crunch time.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Mc Neese is like top 45 net 11-2 with some decent wins this year
And regarding the McNeese State team that upset Michigan, they were 11-23 last season, fired their coach, and hired disgraced former LSU coach Will Wade (who was fired for cause by LSU a year earlier due to multiple NCAA violations), and are off to an 11-2 start this season under Wade.

LSU fires Will Wade

McNeese State hires Will Wade

Reactions: bac2therac
How did we get so bad so fast?

We brought in Noah, who is not what Pike thought he would be, we lost two players at the 25th hour Paul and Cam, we have not had a great infusion of talent the previous few years between recruits and transfers, and we went portaling at a late hour thanks to Paul and Cam and we were left with table scraps to pick through.

Before I get started, kudos to Stonehill. They really deserved this win and worked hard to keep themselves in and chip away. They certainly didnt play a great game or even shoot well. The better TEAM did not win actually.

Before this game, I accepted this team is not going to make the NCAA tournament and likely headed to a bottom 4 Big 10 spot. I recognized its a poorly constructed team with a lack of true Big 10 talent with little identity but still some pieces for Pikeill to work with going forward. . However today was a revelation even for me. I thought that with acceptance I would not have to write harsh recaps or any recap for this game really. Rutgers exceeded any definition of bad basketball today. You all saw it. You saw the stats. TWO FRIGGING MADE FIELD GOALS (both by Hyatt) IN THE LAST 15 MINUTES before Dereks game winner against a school down to 6 scholorship players rated as one of the worst in all of college basketball.

Everyone can understand a team playing down to its level of opponent during the holidays. Its understandable if you shoot poorly, lack the energy but still put forth enough effort to win by 10-12 whatever. That wasnt this. This was a team so messy and weak that it was in a buzzer beater down to the last second. This looked like a team completely in tatters with no confidence, leadership but as you dig down deeper you realize the talent level is just so poor here and it becomes somewhat understandable this game was close. In most of recaps this year RU has endured some hideous scoring droughts. This is a constant. Trouble was brewing vs LIU (another bottom 20 team) only down 7 and stifled for 5-6 minutes in the 2nd half. Against better teams like Wake, Illinois and Mississippi State the scoring droughts were painful. These are not going away. These are constants. Rutgers does not half the defense they used to have so forget about that carrying them through. This team goes through adversity every single game and cowers in the corner everytime. They panic. Pike panics. The whole thing unravels into an unsightly mess. Certainly not the way we have been accumstomed to Rutgers basketball under Pikiell. I do not see anyone willing to step up and say wait a minute, we need to stop this and work on our shots, keep our heads down and do our thing. Instead we see the team repeatedly engage in an act of self flaggellation time and time again up the court.

Not having J Mike today hurt no question. Its unfortunate because this is a game where he could have shown his stuff. We have seen flashes from him and we see him becoming more comfortable game by game. Its a no brainer that he is our point guard and not Noah. Sadly J Mike is the only bright spot on the team currently. Still should the loss of one player cause a complete horror show like we saw today. I am not talking about next year..Pike recruited an incredible class. This year is this year and Pikes thread the needle approach to recruiting which has seen more than its share of misses caught up to us last year and unfortunately the ugly mess on full display this year. Pike brought in a portal point guard in the A10 that is producing nothing. That was before the defections of Cam and Paul and one can argue that Paul would still be here if Noah was not brought in. Obviously Pike got caught with bad luck with Cam/Paul but that is part of managing a program. Maybe then you do not take in a transfer guard who is sitting or maybe you dont take a flyer on a injured center who is sitting and remember Noah himself was injured. I was never a big fan of Hyatt. He has been okay this year but I didnt think he was that good today even with 15. When he is your leading offensive player who is one dimensional shooting 3 for 10 then you know you are in trouble but thats where RU is at. Cliff has shown not to be a legitimate offensive threat. Today Cliff never could get anything clean and was fouled on most of his shot attempts. Did decent at the line, just enough for RU to score any points in the last 10 minutes. That there is no easy way for Cliff to score or to pass out for an open shot is a big indictment on Pike and where this program is. Derek made a game winning 3. Great, unlike Jerrry Carino who made some ridiculous tweet about it digging RU fans who are still laughing at his column from 3 years back, making one shot does erase a ton of bricks today and blown layups and the sheer idea of him putting up 14 shots is ludricous. But Pike allows this and in fact encourages it. If people want to get warm fuzzies because he hit a big shot late....by all means go ahead, go ahead and celebrate the idea of a last second shot needed against a glorified high school team.

And then the biggest issue this season is Gavin Griffiths. Much heralded but seems to be regressing in the wrong direction. At this point his mistakes seem to be magnified. Gavin was bad early but didnt get much chance to redeem himself. Certainly not the same rope as Noah and Hyatt and Derek seem to get. The thing is Gavin based on his high school credentials has the most upside. We saw a few glimpses earlier this year. Sorry but just sticking the guy on the perimeter and telling him to shoot 3s makes me question if this coaching staff is putting in the TRULY hard work it needs to get this program better this season. Because without a developing Gavin in the offense, RU is going to be on the short of end of some 75-50 scores this year in the Big 10. I am not giving up on Gavin at this point but clearly if Pike and staff do not change their thinking about integrating him into the offense or on the quick yanks on his mistakes where exactly is the offense coming from? Does Pike just think Derek will shoot himself into 20 point games is he takes 20 shots. RU is becoming pathetically predictable to defend on offense...and that was by Stonehill. Plus we have guys just jacking up 3 after 3 after 3 even in crunch time but its infuriating that RU took that many 3s in this game. The main concern today was to just get a lead and coast from there working on some different stuff. Instead RU had zero flow in the first half and the concern then reverted to just trying to eek out the win.

It all comes back to talent, talent, talent and its not there this year. Yet this team is not even playing with energy or much care. Pike's teams have all been known for lunch pail and working hard but I do not see it in them this year. That is on them but its also on PIke. I think the coaching staff is still confused at what to do, almost a hands in the air approach and its pretty lame to see Pike trying to get the RAC crowd on its feet to lift them to a win over lowly Stonehill. To its credit the RAC was loud today, might be the loudest it is all season.

Maybe this team will be limited by their talent but they sure hell can put forth a better effort and actually care. I mean they do get paid now. Next November cannot come soon enough but we all still have to get through this year and we all do not want to watch a bunch of fragile players night in and out. SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUPS! There is nothing worse in sports than being called soft
Brief and concise….

Reactions: bac2therac
Pike is great at coaching the offense out of players. He’s made a mess of Gavin

its a damn shame
Pike has not had time to make a mess of Gavin. Gavin is (1) not good enough as a true freshman 12 games in to shine on a team with zero other offensive talent (or at the very least zero players who are currently playing like they have offensive talent) and (2) is clearly in a huge shooting funk.

Pike has not had time to make a mess of Gavin. Gavin is (1) not good enough as a true freshman 12 games in to shine on a team with zero other offensive talent (or at the very least zero players who are currently playing like they have offensive talent) and (2) is clearly in a huge shooting funk.

100%. Didn’t expect him to be a liability at the line.

And regarding the McNeese State team that upset Michigan, they were 11-23 last season, fired their coach, and hired disgraced former LSU coach Will Wade (who was fired for cause by LSU a year earlier due to multiple NCAA violations), and are off to an 11-2 start this season under Wade.

LSU fires Will Wade

McNeese State hires Will Wade
Will Wade update. When Wade was at VCU (both stints), he made inquiries about the Rutgers job. He was told that he was too young for serious consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT