ADVERTISEMENT

Best & Worst RU Football Games You've Ever Attended...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
For me, best was 'Ville 2006 of course.

Runner-up prob. at UNC, same year. Great game!!! I remember some obnoxious Chapel Hill fans giving me the finger on the way out, simply because I was a Rutgers fan. Phuck that snotbag fanbase.

Worst was prob. New Hampshire in '05. Or was it '04. Either way, to follow up a massive win vs. Michigan State by losing to them, and then to have to watch the fireworks go off as we walked back to our car? ROUGH.

A close second to the worst game I've ever attended was that Kent State game where Nova threw 6 picks. I went with a Kent State fan whose son was a true frosh RB on the team, and a neutral fan. I talked tons of pregame trash on the ride up and during tailgating, hyping RU up to the neutral guy. The Kent State guy kept warning me. I should've listened to him. I remember they had the jitterbug who had an NFL career... can't recall if he was a slot receiver or a RB. I think slot and PR/KR. They also had a MASSIVE rb who at one point in the game was literally just running over our players. I think he might've even steamrolled Khaseem Greene on one play, which is something I thought I'd never see.

Best was obviously L’Ville 06 a close 2nd to me was more personal- the 09 Bowl against that POS O’Leary in my son’s final college game.
The lost in Arizona and the Insight bowl was also just incredible.
Worst was the 06 WVU
Not even because of the loss but never experience such waste of life they call fans.
Next worst was UConn 09. Again, waste of life fans. Our group was so respectful to them because of the death of their player. But at least 3 times during the walk to the stadium, we had to tell their fans to also show some respect for that day. That win was almost as good as 06 L’Ville.

Louisville '06 on it's own level for best. WVU '06 most heartbreaking.

Here is a combo that you'll likely not hear from anyone else:
I was a student manager in 1985. We opened the season on the road with a comeback 28-28 tie against pre-season top 5 Florida. It was pure euphoria as we viewed the tie as a measuring stick that meant we were going to be a top tier bowl caliber team. Well, the following week, we traveled to Army and lost 20-16. You want to talk about being body slammed off the pedestal? I want from tears of joy to tears of sadness in back to back weeks.

Insight Bowl pregame was one of the funnest times of my entire life.

Symbolically - the game vs. 'Cuse where Leonard led the alma mater with the sword and the game vs. 'Ville where Eric led the team out of the tunnel and the field got plowed - which as everyone knows caused us to lose.

Texas Bowl was dope.

Reactions: RC71 and DirtyRU
Symbolically - the game vs. 'Cuse where Leonard led the alma mater with the sword and the game vs. 'Ville where Eric led the team out of the tunnel and the field got plowed - which as everyone knows caused us to lose.

Texas Bowl was dope.
Agreed on Texas Bowl. That's way up there for me as well. Also, the comeback win vs. Arkansas in Piscataway was a good time!

Reactions: shields
While the details are a bit faded, 87 or 88 against a Steve Spurrier led Duke team in the rain at Giants stadium. The topper was security confiscating our keg. Luckily, we got the keg back at the end of a dreadful game.

Reactions: OJRutgers
Best - 2006 Louisville
Worst - 2012 Louisville
Agreed.

The '06 game speaks for itself.

The '12 game was the biggest RU gut punch I have ever seen live. Up 14-3, and nearly 20-3 on that fake FG that was called back on an illegal man downfield (still don't see the penalty 11 years later) - only to have a 1-legged Teddy Bridgewater lead a 2nd half comeback that ended with Nova and Coleman getting crossed up on a route. I still replay the DB catching that INT over his shoulder without an RU player within 40 yards in my mind. And I'll never forget the quietest walk out of that building that I've ever experienced.

Best- USF 07 (could not make 06 UL sadly) Ray Rice final game in TORONTO (better edit that some poster triggered by my memory) was cool too
Worst - Tulane was bad (especially after Sanu had a 90 yard TD run to open it.
-or- maybe the Kent St Nova 6 picks game.
-or- the VT bowl game in the rain.
-or- 2012 Lousiville

Rutgers fans have a lot more bad to choose from.

@DirtyRU I think it was Archer and Durham for Kent

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersRaRa
VT, didn't even make into the game with 700 cases for the mixer
best I've been to and not see hahaha

While the details are a bit faded, 87 or 88 against a Steve Spurrier led Duke team in the rain at Giants stadium. The topper was security confiscating our keg. Luckily, we got the keg back at the end of a dreadful game.
It was 1988 and we won that game 7-0. I took a date to the game and when I tried to kiss her goodnight she rejected me.

The best? The bowl game in Houston in 2006.

The worst? Either the Boston College game in 1995 (late November, we lost 41-38 in a driving rainstorm that lasted the whole game) or the Syracuse game in 1997 (we lost 50-3).

The Syracuse game was particularly interesting to me because I was a high school coach at the time and Rutgers gave me tickets to take two kids they were recruiting to the game. In true Rutgers fashion, the tickets were front row, directly behind the Syracuse bench. As the beating ensued in the 4th quarter, the Syracuse players were high fiving my players and Donovan McNabb (who had a monster game), gave them his wristbands. The whole ride home, both kids wanted to go to Syracuse.

Agreed.

The '06 game speaks for itself.

The '12 game was the biggest RU gut punch I have ever seen live. Up 14-3, and nearly 20-3 on that fake FG that was called back on an illegal man downfield (still don't see the penalty 11 years later) - only to have a 1-legged Teddy Bridgewater lead a 2nd half comeback that ended with Nova and Coleman getting crossed up on a route. I still replay the DB catching that INT over his shoulder without an RU player within 40 yards in my mind. And I'll never forget the quietest walk out of that building that I've ever experienced.
I still to this day think the refs rigged that 12 Louisville game. That penalty was total BS and was instructed by the BE brass because we had the coveted B1G invite in our pocket a week earlier.

Reactions: LC-88 and rutger80
1) I mean, com'on, IT got me on TV!!!

2) Insight Bowl.....the game day pre-game party....having Marley of Zowie Bowie pull me and my buddy Malfa up onto the stage (there ARE pictures of this) was sheer insanity....just the fact it had been SOOOO long, as well!

3) Texas Bowl - walking into the Club Level and seeing a former Pete's (or Queens) bartender, who had moved to Houston, working one of the bars THEN walking to our seats and seeing 20,000 SCARLET-CLAD RUTGERS FANS....well...despite the way the regular season had ended....THAT put a tear in my eye.

Worst:

Texas Bowl (if you know, you know....😥😥😥 )

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Best: 2014 at Maryland--comeback from 25 down.
Worst: 3 way tie: 78-0, Russell Athletic Bowl, 2008 at Cincinnati (lost to their 5th string QB)

For me, best was 'Ville 2006 of course.

Runner-up prob. at UNC, same year. Great game!!! I remember some obnoxious Chapel Hill fans giving me the finger on the way out, simply because I was a Rutgers fan. Phuck that snotbag fanbase.

Worst was prob. New Hampshire in '05. Or was it '04. Either way, to follow up a massive win vs. Michigan State by losing to them, and then to have to watch the fireworks go off as we walked back to our car? ROUGH.

A close second to the worst game I've ever attended was that Kent State game where Nova threw 6 picks. I went with a Kent State fan whose son was a true frosh RB on the team, and a neutral fan. I talked tons of pregame trash on the ride up and during tailgating, hyping RU up to the neutral guy. The Kent State guy kept warning me. I should've listened to him. I remember they had the jitterbug who had an NFL career... can't recall if he was a slot receiver or a RB. I think slot and PR/KR. They also had a MASSIVE rb who at one point in the game was literally just running over our players. I think he might've even steamrolled Khaseem Greene on one play, which is something I thought I'd never see.
All of these make my lists. I would add the 2006 game at Cincy to the worst list. I drove all the way out there, ate that disgusting Skyline Chili, and then sat in the sleet through a terrible loss. Their CBs just puled our WRs down any time they got beat. Then the real fun began, as we were pelted with snow/ice balls from the upper deck. The long drive home really sucked.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Best = #2 USF in 2007 - 30-27 win with field rush
Worst = UNC 2008 - my first and last blowout (44-12)

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
Best:
2014 - Turay blocks the Michigan field goal attempt
Rutgers 26
Michigan 24

Worst:
2016 - miserable, in the rain
Michigan 78
Rutgers 0

Best: 2014 at Maryland--comeback from 25 down.
Worst: 3 way tie: 78-0, Russell Athletic Bowl, 2008 at Cincinnati (lost to their 5th string QB)
Curious are you from Cincy?

It’s funny though- the Cincy game that year didn’t even bother me…

I was at that Giants Stadium game too. Worst ever, although I do recall tailgating in an NJ Transit bus shelter.
Don't know what was the best in person game, saw the big Louisville game on TV.

Reactions: coloradoknight
Curious are you from Cincy?

It’s funny though- the Cincy game that year didn’t even bother me…
No, drove up from Atlanta for the game (7 hours).
It was horrible to watch, especially with all the talent we had, against their 5th string QB.
As it turns out, we eked out a win the next week, then the offense exploded.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Best:

Rutgers completes its undefeated season at the new Giants Stadium with a 17-9 victory over Colgate on Thanksgiving night. I was one of the 33,405 in the stands.

Worst:

I'll go with November 21, 1987, Rutgers defeated Temple 17-14 at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. “Both teams were banged up going into the game and came out of it worse. The 7,863 fans who braved 25 degree temperatures and a wind chill of minus 11 degrees to watch, weren’t feeling too chipper either,” according to the Sunday edition of the Home News.

It was brutal.

Best:

Rutgers completes its undefeated season at the new Giants Stadium with a 17-9 victory over Colgate on Thanksgiving night. I was one of the 33,405 in the stands.

Worst:

I'll go with November 21, 1987, Rutgers defeated Temple 17-14 at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. “Both teams were banged up going into the game and came out of it worse. The 7,863 fans who braved 25 degree temperatures and a wind chill of minus 11 degrees to watch, weren’t feeling too chipper either,” according to the Sunday edition of the Home News.

It was brutal.
I was there for Colgate as well

West Virginia is giants stadium the last time we beat them was fun. Early 80’s. Want to say we finished 7-3 that year.

Worst for me pre schiano was Shea Virginia Tech game where we couldn’t get to the 50 yard line. Literally no hope of beating anyone.

That game was in Toronto.
C'mon guys, you can't even remember the circumstances for the games you loved the most? WTF?
shoot me I confused the 2 games in 2 domes both equal drives to 2 places more north than Ohio. not that big of a deal

Best- USF 07 (could not make 06 UL sadly) Ray Rice final game in TORONTO (better edit that some poster triggered by my memory) was cool too
Worst - Tulane was bad (especially after Sanu had a 90 yard TD run to open it.
-or- maybe the Kent St Nova 6 picks game.
-or- the VT bowl game in the rain.
-or- 2012 Lousiville

Rutgers fans have a lot more bad to choose from.

@DirtyRU I think it was Archer and Durham for Kent
^This entire post is my experience exactly, though I would put VT as the worst due to the weather and the shitty play but both teams. The six picks Nova threw still shock my senses, losing to Tulane was so bad Schiano said it was the worst loss he ever coached, and that penalty against Louisville in 2012 still haunts me because there was no illegal lineman downfield. The rule says three yards, the refs normally allow five, and the freeze-frame replay shows he was three yards. We all knew what would happen from there once Teddy got in the game.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Somewhere I have a picture of a "red solo cup" floating through the parking lot STILL full!!!

Reactions: coloradoknight
When I was in grad school - I think it was 1985 - I rolled in way late and hungover to the RU-Syracuse game. The Fruits were up 28-0 at halftime. That was a wasted bus trip.

The last RU game I attended was in Seattle. What a great game versus Wazzou. I remember how nice the fans were on the light rail ride after the game. I learned the term 'Couged-it' there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT