ADVERTISEMENT

Best & Worst RU Football Games You've Ever Attended...

Oh I get 06’ louisville, I’m saying both ways.

There’s a lot of losses in the Big 10 that piss me off and almost none have been mentioned. I’ve seen a psu 2014 which makes sense, I haven’t seen a mention of 78-0 which made me seriously consider giving up my fanhood of my own alma mater.

It’s just a lot of Big east answers is all, just an observation

IMO ...78-0 games drive fan indifference. Losing meaningful games that could have launched the program into a Top Bowl and Contending ranking are the ones that are heart breaking.

Reactions: RUinOhio
I can't stick with just one:

Best: 2006 Lousiville, 1992 VaTech, 1980 Alabama (loss), 2012 @Arkansas

Worst: 1977 Penn State - that 45-7 first "big time" era game loss was a wake-up call after the 1976 season
2010 Army - That hit was loud and I had the sickening feeling someone (52) wasn't getting up from it.
2007. Maryland: We lost at home and the visiting MD fans were totally key-jangling horrible to us afterwards. Looking back we were ranked #10 and dropped to #21 .

Last edited:
Reactions: RUinOhio
IMO ...78-0 games drive fan indifference. Losing meaningful games that could have launched the program into a Top Bowl and Contending ranking are the ones that are heart breaking.
Understand your point. It doesn’t make me not a fan though as you suggested earlier😉

Best- easily 2006 Louisville game at home! In fact that is the single best sporting event I have ever been to.
Worst-!oh god I can’t even remember but I think we got a massive beat down at home in embarrassing fashion.

Curiosity from 2010 Army game (I wasn't there) was that a regular lady fan who posted in those days was at the game and she said there was a black cat in the end zone and she was kidding it might be an omen

For a second I thought you were saying our stadium sucked but the RAC was sweet...lol then I realized it was an away game
Ha...just reading it I see what you mean...should have specified it was away. David Booth Stadium is a piece of poop. But we were the poop that day...demoralizing.

55-14 KU. 6 turnovers, including 2 pick 6's. A pair of 50+ yard TD runs from KU. That game was a horror show.

We followed that up with that home beating from Buffalo the next week. I believe we were down 35-6 at half in that one.
Thank you for adding color...though I tried to forget that day to be honest. Horror show against probably the worst team ever. I had another miserable away experience...similarly, my son and I had a great time the day before the away Washington Game. Space Needle, fish market, all that crap. Nice tailgate on a beautiful Udub campus. Then the beatdown. I must have looked like i was going to cry because a guy called us over to his tailgate on the way back to the car...offered me a beer and a hug. I took both. Nice fans there...but we were losers once again.

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Oh I get 06’ louisville, I’m saying both ways.

There’s a lot of losses in the Big 10 that piss me off and almost none have been mentioned. I’ve seen a psu 2014 which makes sense, I haven’t seen a mention of 78-0 which made me seriously consider giving up my fanhood of my own alma mater.

It’s just a lot of Big east answers is all, just an observation
Our time so far in the Big 10 hasn't been memorable. The beatdowns were too frequent so no one game (other than the Michigan 78-0) stands out, and really no good games either (IMO).

Worst game losing to New Hampshire
Best game Louisville and USF tied

unfortunately 2006 Louisville was the only home game I couldn't attend since I work in the city and often late... I'd say the upset of USF and the game with the famous image of Brian Leonard lifting the sword at the end during the alma mater.

Worst game hard to say... one of the many many drubbings we took in the old Big East days in the late 90s/early 2000s. Been pretty fortunate to happen to not attend the more recent ass kickings haha

78-0 I stayed the entire game.

That was like watching a puppy tied to a telephone pole that got repeatedly smashed in its face with a shovel.

Best that I attended Arkansas 2012 out in Fayetteville. That was fun in person.
The one thing about the Arkansas away game, we had two solid sections of RU fans that made a ton of noise

Going in as a ten point dog, i believe, we played very well and was just a great game experience

As I mentioned above, the Louisville home game that cost us a major bowl was bad
I also would like to mention the away Maryland game last year
A real beat down And ranks high on the negative side

Best by far, Texas Bowl
Worst by far, loss to Cuse in the Dome when we were heavily favored. Brought a Cuse fan as my guest to revel in the beat down and left totally shattered. Team was totally outplayed and looked lost.

Worst: 1977 Penn State - that 45-7 first "big time" era game loss was a wake-up call after the 1976 season
2010 Army - That hit was loud and I had the sickening feeling someone (52) wasn't getting up from it.
2007. Maryland: We lost at home and the visiting MD fans were totally key-jangling horrible to us afterwards. Looking back we were ranked #10 and dropped to #21 .
I also add for best: 2006 South Florida (away), 2007 South Florida (Home). Our crowd noise caused at least one USF false start penalty.

About that 1977 Penn State game in the Meadowlands. Everybody's favorite B1G booth analyst Matt Millen may have played in it. Remember the game program and the PSU players pics and how huge their necks were, Keith Dorney and Matt Suhey in particular, probably tilting their heads back in the pose for effect.

Best

Louisville 2006
Alabama 1980 if there ever was a glorious loss
Michigan 2014

Hon Mention - 2005 Cincy with Bowl Reps waiting to offer an invite

Worst

Pretty much any game under Ash.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Louisville 06 and Michigan 80-7 game
I was away on vacation for the 80 PT game, and not able to get info on the game at all
In the hotel room the iTV intro into the college sports was
" we'll give all the scores after commercials, including a game where a team got 80
So, I had about 2 minutes to think about that, and thought, ah, what are the odds its our game, can't be!

And then it was

Michigan 78-0 - couldn’t leave either because 50/50 was $50,000 and they didn’t anounce winning ticket until 2 minutes left in the game.

At that time still needed to be present to win 50/50.

Best game: Louisville 2006, electric stadium
2nd Halloween Game at UConn
3rd Texas Bowl
Worst: Bus trip to Army

I have to also that on a very personal note-
Hated the 2005 game against USF - they had been recruiting Kevin hard and he almost selected them. I actually really liked Coach Leavitt. Their OL coach was pretty cool too.
And as they beat us in 2005- we were at the tunnel when Coach Leavitt was exiting and he actually pointed up to me and the wife telling us that Kevin should have signed with him. It sucked, but it was actually in good fun.

And then some of the best was not only traveling to South Florida the next year for the close win- and me getting to point back down at Coach, tis time as he was exiting. But the following 3 games as well when we crushed them each time.
Funny thing with USF- well, maybe not so funny. In the years that Kevin and AD went against Selvie and then JPP- I don't know if either of them ever had any impact at all- always shut them down completely. But, the final game in 09 when we crushed them- JPP beat Kevin for the first an only time. All game- JPP would do a fake to the outside and then try to pull a swim move on Kevin and he shut him down every time. Toward the end of the game- Kevin read the play again "says to himself, you can't be stupid enough to try it again" so, he figures JPP figured it out and would go outside. Wouldn't you know it- JPP was dumb enough to do it again - and since Kevin didnt think he would be so stupid- JPP beat him for the first and only time.
Wouldn't you know it- when the Giants drafted JPP- that was the play they showed...

Reactions: RU-ROCS
For me, best was 'Ville 2006 of course.

Runner-up prob. at UNC, same year. Great game!!! I remember some obnoxious Chapel Hill fans giving me the finger on the way out, simply because I was a Rutgers fan. Phuck that snotbag fanbase.

Worst was prob. New Hampshire in '05. Or was it '04. Either way, to follow up a massive win vs. Michigan State by losing to them, and then to have to watch the fireworks go off as we walked back to our car? ROUGH.

A close second to the worst game I've ever attended was that Kent State game where Nova threw 6 picks. I went with a Kent State fan whose son was a true frosh RB on the team, and a neutral fan. I talked tons of pregame trash on the ride up and during tailgating, hyping RU up to the neutral guy. The Kent State guy kept warning me. I should've listened to him. I remember they had the jitterbug who had an NFL career... can't recall if he was a slot receiver or a RB. I think slot and PR/KR. They also had a MASSIVE rb who at one point in the game was literally just running over our players. I think he might've even steamrolled Khaseem Greene on one play, which is something I thought I'd never see.
“The” Louisville game is No. 1 for sure, followed by the epic comeback win against V-tech In the Halloween thriller game of 1992. So many ugly games over the years, but the UNH game is certainly up there, along with losing to Miami 64-6 in 2000.

Reactions: DirtyRU
The 08 L'Ville beatdown was pretty fun too. Poor Phil Simms in the upper deck all lonely in his parka...

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyRU
Our time so far in the Big 10 hasn't been memorable. The beatdowns were too frequent so no one game (other than the Michigan 78-0) stands out, and really no good games either (IMO).
See I disagree with your latter point as well. Beating Michigan was one of the biggest thrills I’ve experienced as a fan.

Much as I hate to even bring them up, the day we beat Pedd state again will potentially overtake Louisville 06’ (I’m not exaggerating either)

Was the 2007 game when the Maryland defender literally ripped a dreadlock out of the RU RB's head?

Best I saw in person: last Princeton - Rutgers game in 1980.

Worst: losing to Army and freezing my a$$ off at the Meadowlands in 1988. Windy as crap so we decided to throw the ball that day. Lunacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29PAS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT