ADVERTISEMENT

BIG makes more than SEC

Ask Pete Hamel
This is nearly a year after the deal was announced
"These deals aren't done, and they aren't what they were represented to be from the standpoint of the NBC deal and the availability of all members to participate in November games in primetime," said an industry source.

Interviews with nearly a dozen sources in and around the Big Ten and the college sports industry paint a picture of Petitti sprinting to navigate details left unresolved from his predecessor.

As a result, there's a trail of unhappy athletic directors seeing money disappearing from their bottom line, frustrated television executives and big-name coaches irked about the lack of transparency in details that weren't communicated to them."
You actually think BIG schools vote to add schools to make less money?

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

GO RU

Reactions: NickRU714
I dunno.. does it really cost that much more to travel to California rather than Minnesota? We'll play the same number of road games either way.. mostly.. maybe 1 more.

Hmm.. hotel costs in major metros will be more.. I assume.

Hopefully its at least a wash with increased ad dollars with more eyeballs in major markets. national level advertisers may replace regional ones for more revenue.
I’m not sure how they get the football equipment to Washington state. Usually they load up an 18 wheeler and drive to the away games.

Also keep in mind that all sports will have to go further west; not just football.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Whitebus won't know what to do with himself when the B10 adds 2 ACC schools without ND.

And there isn't a press release saying It's not coming out of RU's pocket

I’m not sure how they get the football equipment to Washington state. Usually they load up an 18 wheeler and drive to the away games.

Also keep in mind that all sports will have to go further west; not just football.
hmm.. figured it would be on the plane. They will need local transport.

Interesting though.

Maybe they will need another set they can just store on the west coast. In the long run, several years.. it may pay for itself. Just fly out the drivers/managers to handle it.

You actually think BIG schools vote to add schools to make less money?

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

GO RU
I could see it happening if it is a defensive move... protect the product. Not that I know that happened. It could be less money now but more later? An investment?

That is why the SEC will expand. They don't want a scenario where the B10 takes the Carolinas and Florida.. Encasing the SEC and limiting their money.

No way the SEC makes MORE money with a 2nd FL, SC school or with UNC with Nada on the football ratings.

It's a defensive move to the offense the BIG is doing.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I could see it happening if it is a defensive move... protect the product. Not that I know that happened. It could be less money now but more later? An investment?
Paying into something now to make more money in a year is good business. Not to mention Wash and Oregon are paying their way into the BIG while existing members won’t be impacted negatively as they buy their way into membership. Think RU and MD coming into BIG before new tv deal kicked in.

GO RU

ESPN has the SEC by the balls as well.

ESPN SEC 20 year deal till '34

SEC got lucky CBS had the game of the week. And the SEC was able to leverage it for 300M per year deal... and I bet anything the original package which granted the SEC their network was not for that amount.

ESPN was only willing to pay existing shares for TX and OK. Not pay them extra or redo their contract. Best SEC can do is provide a weekday game for additional funds and offer a 9th SEC game as part of the package.

Big10 has an opportunity to take some of the SEC football power away in the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Paying into something now to make more money in a year is good business. Not to mention Wash and Oregon are paying their way into the BIG while existing members won’t be impacted negatively as they buy their way into membership. Think RU and MD coming into BIG before new tv deal kicked in.

GO RU
Do you really think USC and UCLA are coming in at less the full payment like Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers did??

That is why the SEC will expand. They don't want a scenario where the B10 takes the Carolinas and Florida.. Encasing the SEC and limiting their money.

No way the SEC makes MORE money with a 2nd FL, SC school or with UNC with Nada on the football ratings.

It's a defensive move to the offense the BIG is doing.
I’ve heard this exact scenario from a few people in the know

Adding this link here as well. But this is how WA and OR and West Coast Schools pay for themselves. Expect Saturday 4th window to also have more West Coast Teams in games.

12 Games
9 B10 (6 games with West Coast Teams)
1 MW
2 Big12

No PSU, tOSU, Michigan

Adding this link here as well. But this is how WA and OR and West Coast Schools pay for themselves. Expect Saturday 4th window to also have more West Coast Teams in games.

12 Games
9 B10 (6 games with West Coast Teams)
1 MW
2 Big12

No PSU, tOSU, Michigan
I'm on the side that thinks this is good for us from an exposure perspective. Almost like how the mid 2000s we had our big moments on Thursdays in front of national audiences.

I agree, I loved those Night games. I know it sucks for those folks with kids, but I always liked them.

Will definitely be going to the Wash game even if it's alone.

It will be part of my mini pack. I opt for 2 mini packs and buy extra tickets for certain games since I rarely get people to come with me.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I agree, I loved those Night games. I know it sucks for those folks with kids, but I always liked them.

Will definitely be going to the Wash game even if it's alone.

It will be part of my mini pack. I opt for 2 mini packs and buy extra tickets for certain games since I rarely get people to come with me.
Shocking! 😁

Shocking! 😁
My friends are soccer folks.

I got into RU football when my sister was there from 2005-2009.

So I buy extra tickets for certain games and invite people who wouldn't normally watch a game.

Just got 2 for the Wash game... and will be part of my mini packs and I'll have 4 people there!

Reactions: Arizona Knight
My friends are soccer folks.

I got into RU football when my sister was there from 2005-2009.

So I buy extra tickets for certain games and invite people who wouldn't normally watch a game.

Just got 2 for the Wash game... and will be part of my mini packs and I'll have 4 people there!
Just busting chops. We did the same thing for home games during the white bus days in the Blue Lot. Family, friends but the best was getting the next generation kids getting so excited.

Reactions: mosito
It was the media executives who decided who would be in and at what rate. The only response from the Universities was “yes sir”.
Actually no. If you read the full Pete Hamel article the Universities were pissed that a lot of information was left out when Warren first explained the deal to them. It was Warren who said "yes sir".

Actually no. If you read the full Pete Hamel article the Universities were pissed that a lot of information was left out when Warren first explained the deal to them. It was Warren who said "yes sir".
Yes, but the good new for Rutgers and the rest of the BIG is that the conference and University Presidents who collectively couldn’t manage their way out of a paper bag are not driving this process. It is media executives who are focused on maximizing the returns for all the parties.

Yes, but the good new for Rutgers and the rest of the BIG is that the conference and University Presidents who collectively couldn’t manage their way out of a paper bag are not driving this process. It is media executives who are focused on maximizing the returns for all the parties.
Warren still shouldn't have lied to them.

Warren still shouldn't have lied to them.

Pete Thamel works for ESPN. I assume there is a reason that this big treasonous act has not been a bigger story or led to lawsuits. Perhaps it was something simple that needed to be corrected as opposed to whatever grand slight you assume happened because of one article from an outlet that has a vested interest in trying to throw shade at its major competitor.

Big Ten schools get more revenue than other schools?

But but....what about equality and fairness???
You know, the things people complain about in every other thread??

Oh - my bad. I forgot that people only complain about inequality that doesn't benefit Rutgers.
They don't actually care about inequality and fairness for all of college athletics.

Big Ten schools get more revenue than other schools?

But but....what about equality and fairness???
You know, the things people complain about in every other thread??

Oh - my bad. I forgot that people only complain about inequality that doesn't benefit Rutgers.
They don't actually care about inequality and fairness for all of college athletics.

What?

Pete Thamel works for ESPN. I assume there is a reason that this big treasonous act has not been a bigger story or led to lawsuits. Perhaps it was something simple that needed to be corrected as opposed to whatever grand slight you assume happened because of one article from an outlet that has a vested interest in trying to throw shade at its major competitor.
Pete Thamel is no Politi, straight shooter. It wasn't something simple. It was nearly a year, and a second Big Ten Commissioner to get the deal finally done after Warren's big announcement. Lots of gullible folks on here.

Pete Thamel is no Politi, straight shooter. It wasn't something simple. It was nearly a year, and a second Big Ten Commissioner to get the deal finally done after Warren's big announcement. Lots of gullible folks on here.
You’ve referred to him as Pete Hamel multiple times in the last two days and now you’re a big fan of his work.

Got it.

There are many threads and posts lamenting how “unfair” it is that certain schools have more money to spend than other schools.
Which is a fair comment.

However, this is a whole thread dedicated to Big Ten schools having more money to spend than other schools.
Yet nary a peep.

Hence my comment that it appears people only fake care about “equality” in college athletics and how much money schools have to spend.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Haha, that's all you got?!
Facts are facts and you have none.
Again, like dragging UCLA hoops in when you were unaware of their recent final four, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Thamel is an ESPN employee who wrote a story however many months ago about something that no one else is talking about now or frankly ever did.

But I guess he’s a “straight shooter” so never mind.

Again, like dragging UCLA hoops in when you were unaware of their recent final four, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Thamel is an ESPN employee who wrote a story however many months ago about something that no one else is talking about now or frankly ever did.

But I guess he’s a “straight shooter” so never mind.
Again you can not produce one fact that the Big Ten didn't have problems with closing the deal, that the Big Ten was paid extra for adding Washington and Oregon. I said UCLA wasn't the power house it once was. You think they are still a powerhouse and I said so with they sucked last year and you went into the hole not me!

Again you can not produce one fact that the Big Ten didn't have problems with closing the deal, that the Big Ten was paid extra for adding Washington and Oregon. I said UCLA wasn't the power house it once was. You think they are still a powerhouse and I said so with they sucked last year and you went into the hole not me!
Bruh, if you want to worry and agonize that somehow Rutgers isn’t getting a massive infusion of cash from the BIG media deal, be our guest. You are wrong, but feel free to panic all you want.

RU has played numerous games on the west coast. The just leaves earlier.

Bruh, if you want to worry and agonize that somehow Rutgers isn’t getting a massive infusion of cash from the BIG media deal, be our guest. You are wrong, but feel free to panic all you want.
Another guy that has reading comprehension issues. I've never even brought up Rutgers in this thread. God the stupidity continues. Post facts. The facts are all Big Ten schools have no idea what they are getting next year. When Rutgers and Maryland signed we knew the day we signed how much both would be paid over the next 5 years. Very public. More importantly have you seen a 5 year payment schedule for all 4 of the PAC12 teams yet? All new teams have been paid less when entering the Big Ten.

Another guy that has reading comprehension issues. I've never even brought up Rutgers in this thread. God the stupidity continues. Post facts. The facts are all Big Ten schools have no idea what they are getting next year. When Rutgers and Maryland signed we knew the day we signed how much both would be paid over the next 5 years. Very public. More importantly have you seen a 5 year payment schedule for all 4 of the PAC12 teams yet? All new teams have been paid less when entering the Big Ten.
The BIG schools know what they are getting, they just don’t feel the need to make public anything other than what has been reported. The deal is with the conference not the schools so no reason to provide more info. It is a s**tload of f**king money, what more do you need to know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT