ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten 19&20 Breakouts Names McConnell

Scary seeing Iowa's Joe Wieskamp also named along with Caleb. Still having bad memories of wieskamp's game ending bankshot from the sideline to beat Rutgers. Incredible shot that he'd likely make 1 out of 100 shots

Reactions: RC71
True I could see Caleb, Ron, or Myles being the breakout player for us.

From that list, is Bezhanisvili really a breakout candidate? I think he already broke out last year. And let's give Kopp from Northwestern the Jimmy Johnson breakout hair award.

As for Wieskamp, I still see that shot falling through the net in my nightmares.

Scary seeing Iowa's Joe Wieskamp also named along with Caleb. Still having bad memories of wieskamp's game ending bankshot from the sideline to beat Rutgers. Incredible shot that he'd likely make 1 out of 100 shots
God, that sucked so bad. The only reason it hurts less is that we gave them a smack down on their home court a week or two later.

Reactions: satnom
Wieskamp is much more poilshed and in essence has already broken out. I’m sure writer is envisioning weiskamp going from good to a star with McConnell going from adequate bench player to solid consistent performer.

True I could see Caleb, Ron, or Myles being the breakout player for us.

From that list, is Bezhanisvili really a breakout candidate? I think he already broke out last year. And let's give Kopp from Northwestern the Jimmy Johnson breakout hair award.

As for Wieskamp, I still see that shot falling through the net in my nightmares.
Illinois breakout player, IMO, could be Andres Feliz or Alan Griffin.

Ayo, Giorgi and Frazier are the most established with hopefully some growth left to another level. Kofi is a monster freshman. Tevian Jones had 16 against Maryland as a freshman and could take another step forward. Benjamin Bosnans-Verdonk is a 6-8, 235 freshman from Belgium who the coaches are excited about. DaMonte Williams started a lot last year. Kipper Jones has been up and down but has scored 32 in a Big Ten game in his career.

But my choices are Feliz or Griffin.

Feliz played a lot last year and came on strong in BT play but has been the second best player in practice a lot this year so far. Hard nosed former number one juco point guard who had a season high 29 last year.

Griffin played very little last year as a freshman but had a good Euro tour this summer averaging 16 points and 8 rebounds playing the three. Former New York City POY could surprise.

I think Rutgers has several players who could break out. Again, I think your team is being underrated in almost every projection I see.

Last edited:
Coach indicated Caleb has been our best rebounding guard and his length supports improved D as well. We will need stops!! So I see Mathis and McConnell getting major minutes because they can be elite defenders.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT