ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten football preseason poll 2018

Scarlet_Scourge

Hall of Famer
May 25, 2012
Big Ten football preseason poll 2018: The Official We are Doomed Edition

Projected Big Ten East finish:
1-Ohio State, 191.5 points (23.5 first place votes)
2-Michigan State, 142 (2)
3-Penn State, 141.5 (1)
4-Michigan, 140.5 (1.5)
5-Maryland, 75.5
6-Indiana, 60 points
7-Rutgers, 33 points

Projected Big Ten West finish:
1-Wisconsin, 196 points (28 first place votes)
2-Iowa, 155
3-Northwestern, 138
4-Nebraska, 104
5-Purdue, 98.5
6-Minnesota, 64.5
7-Illinois, 28 points

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...l_ohio_state_wisconsi.html?platform=hootsuite

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Was there ever a year where we weren't predicted to finish last in both football and basketball?

Reactions: soundcrib
We were picked to finish last in last year's poll and didn't... 5th place is where we will finish lol

respect.jpg

Looking at our schedule vs. Indiana and Maryland, we all have the B1G East teams, but their crossovers offer a touch easier road (imo):

Rutgers: @Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois
Indiana: Iowa, Purdue, @Minnesota
Maryland: @Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois

As for the three way between us:
Rutgers: @Maryland, Indiana
Indiana: Maryland, @Rutgers
Maryland: Rutgers, @Indiana

Illinois was picked as the worst team, as they were picked to finish 7th by all 28 voters while Wisconsin was picked to finish 1st by all 28. RU was picked last by probably 23 of the voters with 5 votes for 6th.

I'll will go ahead and predict the results of the 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, etc. polls:

7-Rutgers

Meanwhile, just like last year, I doubt Rutgers will finish last in any of these years.

Maryland is going to be interesting to watch this year. They’ve recruited well the last couple of years, but there have been a lot of distractions for them this offseason. I like Canada a lot and think he can do well with Maryland’s offense. Defense on the other hand...Buh is...not great.

Maryland is going to be interesting to watch this year. They’ve recruited well the last couple of years, but there have been a lot of distractions for them this offseason. I like Canada a lot and think he can do well with Maryland’s offense. Defense on the other hand...Buh is...not great.
Agreed. IIRC, you are a PSU fan? What are the distractions you refer to?

This "lack of respect" thing is so worn out. We finished fifth last year, with one win we had no business getting.

This year, we have (most likely) a freshman quarterback, yet another new offensive coordinator who, while not new to us, has not worked with this staff, and the teams just in front of us are one we got trashed by and one we lost to by seven when they were down to their 11th-string quarterback.

Can we finish higher? Of course. Is it logical to bet we won't? Same answer.

Getting worked up over preseason polls, all-conference teams, etc., is a waste of time. There will plenty of things to get worked up over later. Save your energy.

This "lack of respect" thing is so worn out. We finished fifth last year, with one win we had no business getting.

This year, we have (most likely) a freshman quarterback, yet another new offensive coordinator who, while not new to us, has not worked with this staff, and the teams just in front of us are one we got trashed by and one we lost to by seven when they were down to their 11th-string quarterback.

Can we finish higher? Of course. Is it logical to bet we won't? Same answer.

Getting worked up over preseason polls, all-conference teams, etc., is a waste of time. There will plenty of things to get worked up over later. Save your energy.
Who was the team on their 11th string qb who we lost to last year? Maryland? We beat them. We had three Big Ten wins. We did get destroyed by Indiana last year which was the most concerning loss last year. Probably even moreso then Eastern Michigan.

We finished fifth last year, with one win we had no business getting.
Kind of an odd statement. What win did we have no business getting? You bring up a win because of injuries, I'll give you the list of the injuries we had. You say because of an injury to QB. I'll say well if you want to minimize the risk of injuring a QB then don't run the damn QB every other play. But then their offense wouldn't be so prolific now would it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abro1975
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT