ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Men's LAX brackets are set!

Hopkins just gave up a 4 on 6 goal with a couple of seconds on the clock.

Pietramala sucks.

We have good players.
But, just like any sport it’s easy to see who has the more talented team.
Nuts, we have to fight and claw to get a good look, they get a good look basically every possession.
They’re defense doesn’t give an inch, and they’re offense wings it around and has fun.

We simply aren’t good enough to compete with PSU when they’re ready to play

Reactions: RUJMM78 and rondi
All he had to do was make adjustments Zap. No one seems to know what those adjustments are, but all he had to do was make them.

What’s our incoming recruiting class look like? Are they highly ranked?

He hasn't look right for a few games. I saw him tweak his back 3-4 games back. Think he's hurting because he's too good to be this quiet.

It must have been that. Something was obviously off. He dropped two passes where he tried to shoot quickly. He's way too skilled for that to happen.

How many of our starters would start for them.
Two!

I'd say 4. It's less about the top guys. It's more the next level guys. Penn St. has so many shooters. Every guy they seem to put out there is pinging corners.

Their recruiting has been very good. You see it on the field.

Why has it been good? Check out their facility for starters.

We have good players.
But, just like any sport it’s easy to see who has the more talented team.
Nuts, we have to fight and claw to get a good look, they get a good look basically every possession.
They’re defense doesn’t give an inch, and they’re offense wings it around and has fun.

We simply aren’t good enough to compete with PSU when they’re ready to play

RU has good players. So does everyone else in the B1G. Even Michigan. Penn St. and Maryland's are a cut above, OSU & JHU are roughly at the same level. Michigan slightly behind. Under those circumstance, the combination of a new staff plus early season injuries at key positions is lethal, and accounts for the mediocre.OOC record. What needs to be done is getting the young players up to speed with the system so that injuries can be countered with depth.

RU has good players. So does everyone else in the B1G. Even Michigan. Penn St. and Maryland's are a cut above, OSU & JHU are roughly at the same level. Michigan slightly behind. Under those circumstance, the combination of a new staff plus early season injuries at key positions is lethal, and accounts for the mediocre.OOC record. What needs to be done is getting the young players up to speed with the system so that injuries can be countered with depth.

I was actually really impressed with Michigan's talent level. The score tonight doesn't reflect it but it's an outlier. The margins in this league are just so small.

Maybe. Reality is setting in. Hopkins will always be a player but the days of dominating are over. B1G schools have made too much investment for that to happen.

I don’t envy their position. They have some very wealthy alums, but they have to practically fund that program. They don’t get B1G football money.

Pretty sad to see a losing record in Brecht Year #8. Coach blames it on losing a great senior class ... a class that never made the NCAAs in Brecht Years #4-7.

Is next year the last, best hope? The ‘19 and ‘20 recruiting classes are rated last in the B1G. Spin it any way you want, but the talent gap is widening according to Inside Lacrosse.

Class of 19 rankings

1. Maryland
4. Hopkins
8-T. Ohio State
8-T. Penn State
15-T. Michigan
30-T. Rutgers

Class of 20 rankings

1. Hopkins
3. Maryland
6. Michigan
13-T. Ohio State
13-T. Penn State
21-T. Rutgers

Man, if we lost how Maryland just lost, some here would be saying how bad the coaches suck. That was bad.

Pretty sad to see a losing record in Brecht Year #8. Coach blames it on losing a great senior class ... a class that never made the NCAAs in Brecht Years #4-7.

Is next year the last, best hope? The ‘19 and ‘20 recruiting classes are rated last in the B1G. Spin it any way you want, but the talent gap is widening according to Inside Lacrosse.

Class of 19 rankings

1. Maryland
4. Hopkins
8-T. Ohio State
8-T. Penn State
15-T. Michigan
30-T. Rutgers

Class of 20 rankings

1. Hopkins
3. Maryland
6. Michigan
13-T. Ohio State
13-T. Penn State
21-T. Rutgers

Outside of a few can't miss kids, lacrosse recruiting leaves a lot to be desired. This isn't the NFL we are talking about. Even so, those 2 classes are ranked higher than any other classes we have had, including last year with all of those seniors who contributed.

Brecht must be an incredible coach. He competes with teams with way more highly ranked players.

Class of 19 rankings

1. Maryland
4. Hopkins
8-T. Ohio State
8-T. Penn State
15-T. Michigan
30-T. Rutgers

Class of 20 rankings

1. Hopkins
3. Maryland
6. Michigan
13-T. Ohio State
13-T. Penn State
21-T. Rutgers

Not a good outlook. He better be able to develop talent or he is not getting over the hump. Top 30 recruiting classes in Lax is not going to cut it.

Class of 19 rankings

1. Maryland
4. Hopkins
8-T. Ohio State
8-T. Penn State
15-T. Michigan
30-T. Rutgers

Class of 20 rankings

1. Hopkins
3. Maryland
6. Michigan
13-T. Ohio State
13-T. Penn State
21-T. Rutgers

I doubt those rankings will hold up. Even leaving RU out, doubt Penn State stays where they are. You also have late bloomers to consider.

This F-ing team. One week gives you hope, the next... I am not going to dwell on this game but I cannot get Coyne's penalty in the first minute out of my head.

This is why I say we have some mental issues to fix whether it be discipline or composure but WTF was that? He had zero to gain with that push and he was not even close to being shoulder to shoulder.

It drives me crazy as we cannot afford to turn over the ball against Penn State much less give them a man up on their first possession of the game.

Anyway, sorry to call him out, frustration is getting the better of me.

Time for the boys to put in a lot of work in the off season. We need more outside snipers, every BIG team seems to be loaded with accurate long range cannons

Not a good outlook. He better be able to develop talent or he is not getting over the hump. Top 30 recruiting classes in Lax is not going to cut it.
Lax rankings outside of s few can’t miss kids don’t mean much.

A number of teams have been outplaying their rankings. Few more than us.

This is mostly on the players. If you can't win groundballs (and get clobbered in that statistic) and turn it over a ton, you won't beat anybody. We collapsed under the pressure of the moment of playing #1 in the B1G tourney, and some of that is on the coaches, but they can't go out and execute, which is where the players failed spectacularly today, unfortunately. Our D also struggled much of the year, especially with sliding.

Last edited:
@Golfer2019 liked what I saw from 44. He's an athletic kid. If he can get the defensive concepts down, with our system, he will get a lot of unsettled, broken field opportunities to unleash that cannon. Hope he embraces that role. I know I would if I was on the squad.
Thx Cali...

When 18 couldn't go, they needed/asked him to flip sides for today...of course he said he'd do whatever he could to help...

Tough day...feel for the seniors...lots of good kids in that lockeroom

Reactions: Caliknight
Thx Cali...

When 18 couldn't go, they needed/asked him to flip sides for today...of course he said he'd do whatever he could to help...not sure of the long term implications, but he wants to be on the field, feels like he should be a contributor, and he will be ready to compete in the fall...but for him, today was about the seniors...it's a tough day when it's the last game together as a team (as you know)...disappointing today, but lots of great kids in that lockeroom

It's very tough, and they sure are. I've already heard from a number of them talking about their training plans for the summer already. They are such great kids and put so much into it. People on the outside don't really understand it. No one has won more games than this senior class here. Would have liked to see them finish on a better note, but that is sports. Those kids will all be successful in whatever they choose to do next.

44 is going to be a big piece of midfield play moving forward. Anything to get more open looks for him is a great thing. As Brian preaches, not just a year older. A year better. Looking forward to seeing his continued development.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Very poor game & season. Tough to spin it any other way. I've met & talked with Brecht on several occasions & like him very much. However it's hard not to be concerned.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Yes,fans are disappointed in the results after playing such a close game against Penn State on the road.Sadly,Rutgers has a difficult time winning league tournament games regardless of sport.In most cases it comes down to talent,coaching ,injuries and how the teams are performing going into tournament play.Bottom line Rutgers was playing catch up joining the B1G and that process is still going on especially when it comes to recruiting.Lacrosse should be a sport that Rutgers can excel because of the number of schools with top tier recruits playing the sport in the NJ/NY Metro area.

Ha, a game that was eerily similar to last Saturday.

Hopefully the Terps get an at-large bid to the NCAA at this point...
They are a lock for that. I’m a Terp fan second as I have some real ties to the school. People question coaching here a lot. Maryland is so hot and cold. One game they look like the best team in the world, the next they look pedestrian. It would have our fans calling for his head.

Tillman is a great coach. Highly respected with the accomplishments to match. There is too much talent on that team for the highs and lows we see. I’m questioning the one thing you can’t always see when recruiting these studs. Heart. Maryland usually has it. With this team, I’m not sure.

This is the best conference in the country. It takes it all to win.

I know virtually nothing about Lacrosse but I do know a bit about sports and that was a major league ass whupping. They were beteer at every position.

So the question is, how does PSU go from 1 NCAA appearance and no B1G tournament wins since this coach took over in 2011 to the 31 team in the country in almost overnight fashion. Meanwhile we are stuck in mediocrity.

The question is - Is Brecht another Goodale who took 10 years with a step up in conference to elevate the program, or is he Bob Wenzel, who could not elevate the program after a step up in conference?

Our goalie is better. So is our long pole. So not every position. We had 3 first team all conference players. So did they.

Outside of a few can't miss kids, lacrosse recruiting leaves a lot to be desired. This isn't the NFL we are talking about. Even so, those 2 classes are ranked higher than any other classes we have had, including last year with all of those seniors who contributed.

Brecht must be an incredible coach. He competes with teams with way more highly ranked players.
Cali - I have the scarlet kool-aid and Brecht did a tremendous job in reviving and building RU lacrosse. He also did a great job in being ahead of the crowd by recruiting kids from “new” territory like Illinois, Utah and California. He’s hit on a few under-rated recruits.

But I’m afraid that the reality is that the B1G lacrosse league has been more of a benefit to OSU, Mich and PSU than for RU. ACC or B1G didn’t affect Maryland and Hopkins is Hopkins, kids will want to go there with or without the B1G. So, you’re right that RU recruiting might be as good or better than it’s ever been ... while at the same time, RU isn’t cutting into the talent gap. I hope you’re right that the facilities upgrade will have an impact.

Cali - I have the scarlet kool-aid and Brecht did a tremendous job in reviving and building RU lacrosse. He also did a great job in being ahead of the crowd by recruiting kids from “new” territory like Illinois, Utah and California. He’s hit on a few under-rated recruits.

But I’m afraid that the reality is that the B1G lacrosse league has been more of a benefit to OSU, Mich and PSU than for RU. ACC or B1G didn’t affect Maryland and Hopkins is Hopkins, kids will want to go there with or without the B1G. So, you’re right that RU recruiting might be as good or better than it’s ever been ... while at the same time, RU isn’t cutting into the talent gap. I hope you’re right that the facilities upgrade will have an impact.
We are on tv every week. It’s been a tremendous boon to the program. We have players now we weren’t getting before. Just need a few more.

Michigan, OSU, UM all made huge investments in their programs.

Do you donate?

Reactions: Rutgers36
I know virtually nothing about Lacrosse but I do know a bit about sports and that was a major league ass whupping. They were beteer at every position.

So the question is, how does PSU go from 1 NCAA appearance and no B1G tournament wins since this coach took over in 2011 to the 31 team in the country in almost overnight fashion. Meanwhile we are stuck in mediocrity.

The question is - Is Brecht another Goodale who took 10 years with a step up in conference to elevate the program, or is he Bob Wenzel, who could not elevate the program after a step up in conference?

You might not be aware of this but Ament, their top player and a lock for 1st team All America, missed last season due to injury. Combine his return with Tambroni's consistent upgrade through recruiting and this year's quantum leap can be explained.

We are on tv every week. It’s been a tremendous boon to the program. We have players now we weren’t getting before. Just need a few more.

Michigan, OSU, UM all made huge investments in their programs.

Do you donate?
Yes, RU was a defining part of life for both my wife and me. Depending on other giving, we give high 4 figures or low 5 figures to athletics each year, split between Build and Champions funds. Also give an equal amount to the Biochem department. So far, seeing better results (and more positive feedback) there. I may bitch and moan, but I still contribute.

They are a lock for that. I’m a Terp fan second as I have some real ties to the school. People question coaching here a lot. Maryland is so hot and cold. One game they look like the best team in the world, the next they look pedestrian. It would have our fans calling for his head.

Tillman is a great coach. Highly respected with the accomplishments to match. There is too much talent on that team for the highs and lows we see. I’m questioning the one thing you can’t always see when recruiting these studs. Heart. Maryland usually has it. With this team, I’m not sure.

This is the best conference in the country. It takes it all to win.
Don't attack a PSU fan, but question for CaliKnight... Do you really think the B10 is the best conference for lacrosse? I am PSU undergrad and Maryland grad school. I am a casual lacrosse fan. I always thought the ACC was tops for lacrosse, like the BIG is for wrestling and volleyball. Is that not the case anymore? Just curious...

And RU fans shouldn't panic. This was PSU's breakthrough year, and Tambrone has been there nine years. Trust the process and good things can happen. Last night's game was an anomaly between PSU and RU. The games are usually very close.

Don't attack a PSU fan, but question for CaliKnight... Do you really think the B10 is the best conference for lacrosse? I am PSU undergrad and Maryland grad school. I am a casual lacrosse fan. I always thought the ACC was tops for lacrosse, like the BIG is for wrestling and volleyball. Is that not the case anymore? Just curious...

And RU fans shouldn't panic. This was PSU's breakthrough year, and Tambrone has been there nine years. Trust the process and good things can happen. Last night's game was an anomaly between PSU and RU. The games are usually very close.

You are accurate historically, but not this year and probably with the trend line not in the future. The ACC had dominated but the B1G has been on the rise. Also, the Ivies have recently made a comeback. This year it's the Big 3 and everybody else:

1. B1G 10
2. ACC
3. Ivy League

1) If some of the RU fans had to endure what PSU did with Tambroni, they would have demanded he be fired 4 years ago. He's a top coach. You must give these guys time and ample room to deliver. This is a build and Brecht is the right guy. Winning at this level is a lot more than what we see on Sat. on the field. No one who knows anything about lacrosse would say Brecht isn't a good coach. And our staff is as good as any. I truly believe that.
2) I do. The acc was the best conference. Now, top to bottom, I believe the B1G is. There are a number of other people who believe this too. Two years ago Maryland and OSU both made the championship game. That was huge. We beat OSU and lost to Maryland by 1 that year. With the facilities and investments B1G schools have made, I think this trend will continue. Our worst team is Michigan, and I am telling you right now, look out for them next year. They have as much talent as anyone.

Reactions: rondi and PSUer1989
Yes, RU was a defining part of life for both my wife and me. Depending on other giving, we give high 4 figures or low 5 figures to athletics each year, split between Build and Champions funds. Also give an equal amount to the Biochem department. So far, seeing better results (and more positive feedback) there. I may bitch and moan, but I still contribute.

If you don't contribute, you can't bitch and moan. Well, you can, but it makes you a peanut. So you are good in my book. Think about contributing directly to the lax program. It will go to great use!

If you don't contribute, you can't bitch and moan. Well, you can, but it makes you a peanut. So you are good in my book. Think about contributing directly to the lax program. It will go to great use!
Live in a house filled with females. Giving to Build and Champions is good for all programs. A gift to a male program would be subject to a veto. However, now that the women’s lax coach is out, maybe we balance a men’s lax gift with the women’s program down the road.

Live in a house filled with females. Giving to Build and Champions is good for all programs. A gift to a male program would be subject to a veto. However, now that the women’s lax coach is out, maybe we balance a men’s lax gift with the women’s program down the road.

You mean there are separate friends programs for the men's and woman's team? You can't do that at most schools.

Put the pants on!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT