ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten not done?

package deal maybe. State says take one or none.
From an academic standpoint adding both of them would look good.
From a TV revenue standpoint, not so hot.
Stanford is a Private Univ. State has no influence on their decision.

ND and one other school or let it sit for now. ND should be the only reason right now for any more additions.

Reactions: Knight Ed
Would B1G leadership force their schools not to schedule ND to force them into the conference?

Cal brings Bay Area market (more alums than Stanford), strong olympic sports, and academics. The latter one, academics, is where Oregon is shaky.

I know a Cal alum, and we were discussing this. I can see Cal and their cadre of profs who hate athletics saying let UCLA go and they stay put. Will be an interesting dynamic to see the State of California does not try to block it if Cal is willing to go along or just stays put. Cal used to have a rich athletic history, but lately, they have been middling. Maybe @rucoe89 has a different opinion or could add something here. This is just my opinion, which could be right or dead wrong.
Cal is in a tough position. Strong Olympics sports where they excel, but recent drop off in Football and Basketball have hurt. Regents are well aware of the dollars and brand recognition that sports brings so if the B1G came calling they would jump in a heartbeat. Challenge is they don't have much leverage right now. They do have top academics and a large alumni network and TV eyeballs, which maybe the rest of the B1G finds appealing as well as being in a region that has top talent (the kid that got the deal in Miami is from near Cal).

ND does seem to be the key. An actual possible figure they'd owe the ACC too.

From the article:

This afternoon, Dennis Dodd reports that Oregon and Washington have both been told by the Big Ten conference that the league is "standing pat for now."

Dodd adds that the league is "waiting on a decision by Notre Dame."

The Irish would have to pay an exit fee in the ballpark of $140 million to leave the ACC at this point, but they'd almost immediately make that up with the revenue that the Big Ten brings to the table, and that's about to get a whole lot better with the Los Angeles market now in Big Ten domain.

Personally, I think this has always been a 2-step plan — and probably guided by USC, maybe even more than B1G.

Notre Dame wasn’t going to move until USC did. This now almost forces them, unless they truly are full of themselves (possible).

Notre Dame + Stanford seems most logical. And the pressure is on for them to act, or it’ll be Washington and Oregon.

Notre Dame’s chief rival, the trojans, are going to push them hard. Their other rival, Stanford, will be pushing them hard. Both maybe floating that their rivalry could go away.

From B1G perspective, they get the prize they’ve been after forever. And arguably the top academic university (that plays D1), Bay Area market, and another West coaster to hang with USC/UCLA.

At 18, they’d be positioned to take the best of the best AAU schools when/if they decide to expand again. 20 would be nice to have two separate Big TEN divisions, so the name actually makes sense 😜

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Personally, I think this has always been a 2-step plan — and probably guided by USC, maybe even more than B1G.

Notre Dame wasn’t going to move until USC did. This now almost forces them, unless they truly are full of themselves (possible).

Notre Dame + Stanford seems most logical. And the pressure is on for them to act, or it’ll be Washington and Oregon.

Notre Dame’s chief rival, the trojans, are going to push them hard. Their other rival, Stanford, will be pushing them hard. Both maybe floating that their rivalry could go away.

From B1G perspective, they get the prize they’ve been after forever. And arguably the top academic university (that plays D1), Bay Area market, and another West coaster to hang with USC/UCLA.

At 18, they’d be positioned to take the best of the best AAU schools when/if they decide to expand again. 20 would be nice to have two separate Big TEN divisions, so the name actually makes sense 😜
Well I've always thought 2 step plan first west than east but that was with the assumption that ND and no one else for that matter could get out of the ACC GOR. Now possibly ND might be able to according to some reports with an exit fee of 140M, makes it seem possible that it could happen sooner. I've said before making yourself a cozy home for ND with national presence and rivals like USC, Michigan, MSU, Purdue is the best shot you'll ever have, especially with the ACC in shaky circumstances.

Here's more on the ACC from Dodd. I have hard time believing 50M for ACC schools when NDs number could be 140M and it's not even a full member plus 50M is what Maryland paid. There's no way that figure is that low. I'd more likely believe 50M/yr for the 10+ years that are left on the GOR and from each school.

From the article:

Earlier this week, CBS Sports quoted a high-ranking sports TV industry source on the potential for conference realignment: "Everybody is talking to everybody." That was before news of USC and UCLA broke the internet.

Clemson, Florida State and Miami have a decision to make. Industry sources believe it's a reasonable expectation that the ACC powers had previously inquired with the SEC, possibly even the Big Ten.

The possibility of $80 million-$100 million in annual media rights trumps anything the ACC can produce through the length of the current TV deal that ends in 2036. However, even a hefty penalty for breaking the grant of rights – rumored to be more than $50 million -- could be financed over that period. Those schools would still come out ahead of what they're making in the ACC.

Reactions: FlintTown
What cracks me up with all of this is like the Big East 20 years ago, the Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC recently shot down the idea of a playoff with automatic bids. This might be the biggest mistake in the history of college sports…dumbasses.

16 is plenty. Anything beyond that and conferences cease to be much of anything beyond TV negotiating organizations. The schools will barely know one another. Having 4 16-school conferences should be the way to end up, with either the B12 or ACC being the one that loses out.
This
7 games in your Division. 2 crossover games annually. 3 OCC each year.

What cracks me up with all of this is like the Big East 20 years ago, the Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC recently shot down the idea of a playoff with automatic bids. This might be the biggest mistake in the history of college sports…dumbasses.
Been reading articles today that say the shooting down of the expansion of the current playoffs was a big mistake by the ACC/PAC12. Mind you the B10 could have still held it up because you needed unanimity but they'd have been on an island alone. PAC12/ACC will have little say now with the SEC/B10 setting the rules and no need for unanimity the next go around. Eventually, that might have happened anyway but it could have prolonged their participation a little bit and threw a little more money in their direction too.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
At what point is more, too much? 16 teams, 18 teams, 20 teams? TV revenue can only be split so many times.

I also think the B1G can screw this up if they keep waiting on Notre Dame.

SEC is going to be aggressive. They added Oklahoma/Texas to push west, and they might see B1G becoming national as the moment they need to strike.

With many Pac-12 teams desperately looking to jump ship, it’s a situation where B1G’s traditionally slow process could hurt us.

We want the jock schools (ie ASU, OSU, WSU) to go SEC — not the AAU state behemoths who could anchor the B1G west for generations.

It worries me a bit that Oregon and Washington were already told to wait. The longer they wait, better chance SEC has to grab them with Arizona/Utah/Colorado

My useless musings for B10 to 24, which will take years (with many here already mentioning all 3 parts separately):
• Notre Dame (waiting on them now before anything else) & Stanford (logical rival partner with ND)
• Oregon, Washington, Colorado to create 6 team West division (helps Olympic sports bigly)
• UVA, UNC and Duke to create complete 6 team division in East with us, UM and PSU (1 year of this or next massive media deal covers existing ACC GOR easily)

SEC is going to be aggressive. They added Oklahoma/Texas to push west, and they might see B1G becoming national as the moment they need to strike.

With many Pac-12 teams desperately looking to jump ship, it’s a situation where B1G’s traditionally slow process could hurt us.

We want the jock schools (ie ASU, OSU, WSU) to go SEC — not the AAU state behemoths who could anchor the B1G west for generations.

It worries me a bit that Oregon and Washington were already told to wait. The longer they wait, better chance SEC has to grab them with Arizona/Utah/Colorado

The BIG loses nothing waiting on Oregon and UW. I mean great, they give the BIG a presence in the Northwest but honestly, they aren't altering the trajectory of the conference. With USC off the board, other than maybe Clemson and possibly FSU and Miami if they can return to their power glory days, there isn't much left to pluck that moves the needle.

The BIG loses nothing waiting on Oregon and UW. I mean great, they give the BIG a presence in the Northwest but honestly, they aren't altering the trajectory of the conference. With USC off the board, other than maybe Clemson and possibly FSU and Miami if they can return to their power glory days, there isn't much left to pluck that moves the needle.
I think you're a ND fan. What do you think will happen? You think ND will join the B10. I'd put it at better than 50/50 they do eventually, especially if they can choose some mates (Stanford), but that's just an educated guess so we'll see.

Depends on how aggressive the SEC/ESPN are but also think it's likely the PAC12 schools give the B10 right of first refusal before anyone else....like one last chance before we go to this other offer. Having USC/UCLA in your back pocket helps with west coast teams too. Fit wise the B10 is better as well.

Having said that:

Reactions: Ash_Hole
My useless musings for B10 to 24, which will take years (with many here already mentioning all 3 parts separately):
• Notre Dame (waiting on them now before anything else) & Stanford (logical rival partner with ND)
• Oregon, Washington, Colorado to create 6 team West division (helps Olympic sports bigly)
• UVA, UNC and Duke to create complete 6 team division in East with us, UM and PSU (1 year of this or next massive media deal covers existing ACC GOR easily)
If Notre Dame doesn't go B1G the conference already has a ready made rival for Stanford in Northwestern., in my opinion
As for ACC programs to poach, Clemson and FSU might be the best choices ( football wise)

If Oregon/Wash are potential additions that the networks would want then better not wait too long or could have more roadblocks in the future.

If Notre Dame doesn't go B1G the conference already has a ready made rival for Stanford in Northwestern., in my opinion
As for ACC programs to poach, Clemson and FSU might be the best choices ( football wise)
Definitely do not see Clemson (culture) or FSU (academics) coming to the B10 before the SEC.

Oregon actually may have less longer term relevance post Phil Knights time on earth. Cal or AZ State could add more.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Oregon actually may have less longer term relevance post Phil Knights time on earth. Cal or AZ State could add more.
I mentioned that in the other thread and wondered if Knight doesn’t take care of them in his will do they have the wherewithal to be the flashy program we’ve known them to be? I don’t know the answer but I’d probably want to know the answer if I’m thinking of them as a forever addition.

Last edited:
ASU's TV market could be a big help if the B1G feels the Ducks won't have the same financial value, thinking long term, as a school like ASU might bring to the conference .
Cal academically and location make their credentials pretty good.

ASU's TV market could be a big help if the B1G feels the Ducks won't have the same financial value, thinking long term, as a school like ASU might bring to the conference .
I don't think ASU is in the picture for the B10 and even AZ I think would be below some schools in pecking order.

I don't think ASU is in the picture for the B10 and even AZ I think would be below some schools in pecking order.
believe you're right
i envision the UofA and ASU as potential Big 12 targets with ASU the logical choice if it's only 1 AZ school
But the TV market in the Phoenix/Tempe area might have the B1G take a look

Oregon seems like a lock to go B1G, but the after Knight discussions has me wondering if the Ducks might not be one of the best available from the PAC.
ASU because of media rankings might be a better fit for the long term , but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sun Devils in the Big 12 instead and Oregon might just be with them if the B1G feeels without Knight they're not a good investment when it comes to the long run

This
7 games in your Division. 2 crossover games annually. 3 OCC each year.
If you are going to have these large conferences I would rather see every game a conference game
Save out of conference games for the bowls and playoffs

Reactions: Scarlet16E
believe you're right
i envision the UofA and ASU as potential Big 12 targets with ASU the logical choice if it's only 1 AZ school
But the TV market in the Phoenix/Tempe area might have the B1G take a look

Oregon seems like a lock to go B1G, but the after Knight discussions has me wondering if the Ducks might not be one of the best available from the PAC.
ASU because of media rankings might be a better fit for the long term , but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sun Devils in the Big 12 instead and Oregon might just be with them if the B1G feeels without Knight they're not a good investment when it comes to the long run
I wonder how many people think of 84 year old Knight and how that might impact Oregon longer term. My mind thinks longer term like that sometimes but that was even escaping me until just recently. I'm blinded by flashy Nike Oregon too but what happens if that goes away to some degree? So hopefully that is being examined with regards to Oregon. If he's left them a ton of money or they have a bunch of other rich boosters then great but if not...hmmm might have to re-evaluate to make sure.

Not a traditional news source, so take with a grain of salt, but I think he's a writer on Maryland's other site.

going to be a lot of tweets putting out rumors.
Some close to the mark, many just guesses that is far from the truth, but makes one feel it might be true.
For sure and that's why I put the caveat there. But part of me is like while these aren't traditional reporters my mind always sees them as slightly more responsible in reporting but I guess that's a bias and function of the admins here and old admins here who generally didn't throw crap out there just because. Hard to know if writers of other sites are as responsible in reporting.

Radio jockeys I never put stock into because they throw tons of crap out there. BTW though speaking about radio jockeys, I do remember a Colin Cowherd clip from last year after Texas/OU.... I think he mentioned wait to see what USC does in the future it'll be shocking or something to that affect. Being predisposed to that idea since last summer myself I was like hmm wonder if there's something there but normally I dismiss out of hand radio talk.

I don't think ASU is in the picture for the B10 and even AZ I think would be below some schools in pecking order

Seems like ASU may be better fit for Big 12. Same for Colorado and Utah, which would give BYU some partners in the area. I think Washington State, Oregon State are in huge trouble followed by Cal and Stanford and then Washington and Oregon. A year ago we were all talking about how the Big 12 was cooked. Times do change fast.

Seems like ASU may be better fit for Big 12. Same for Colorado and Utah, which would give BYU some partners in the area. I think Washington State, Oregon State are in huge trouble followed by Cal and Stanford and then Washington and Oregon. A year ago we were all talking about how the Big 12 was cooked. Times do change fast.
Just in regards to those schools. I mean he's just guessing but it all depends on what the networks think.

Just in regards to those schools. I mean he's just guessing but it all depends on what the networks think.

Fair point raised by that tweet. Seems like for now everyone will stand pat until maybe another major school does something. PAC 12 should leverage its west coast presence to perhaps pry some of the Big 12 schools that will be second fiddle to the SEC and Big Ten in their media markets. The West Coast market is not great, but it also is not saturated so that a creative thinker could work a deal with networks. New league commissioner seems more clued in than Larry Scott ever was.

Fair point raised by that tweet. Seems like for now everyone will stand pat until maybe another major school does something. PAC 12 should leverage its west coast presence to perhaps pry some of the Big 12 schools that will be second fiddle to the SEC and Big Ten in their media markets. The West Coast market is not great, but it also is not saturated so that a creative thinker could work a deal with networks. New league commissioner seems more clued in than Larry Scott ever was.
Scott set the tone for this PAC disaster and the new PAC commish might be more capable than him , but I feel the Big 12 is in better position to poach PAC schools instead of the other way around because of the PAC's TV rights deal expiring soon and the loss of USC & UCLA will drive the PAC's bargaining power down.
Especially if it's felt the B1G has its eyes on more PAC schools so the LA schools have western/ west coast company

Scott set the tone for this PAC disaster and tho new PAC commish might be more capable than him , but I feel the Big 12 is in better position to poach PAC schools instead of the other way around because of the PAC's TV rights deal expiring soon and the loss of USC & UCLA will drive the PAC's bargaining power down.
Especially if it's felt the B1G has its eyes on more PAC schools so the LA schools have western/ west coast company
Losing LA market really has crippled Pac 12. I am not as impressed as others RE the Big 12. They will end up second fiddle to the SEC and Big Ten, but also the ACC. Does that put them 4th with PAC right now jockeying for position with Mountain West? Probably. But then again, a year ago the Big 12 was behind the Pac 12 and that changed overnight.

Not true. Oregon and Washington would go to SEC if offered. If both offered, they’d likely pick b1G over SEC. B1G can’t afford to wait on the prima-donna Notre Dame if it has to sacrifice Oregon, Washington, Stanford to SEC. And B1G is not going to leave ucla/usc out on an island.

How about this as another carrot for ND. NBC wants ND and B10 game as a double header and an expanded B10 can accommodate that. How about just through this upcoming tv contract (however long it is, hopefully 6-8 years at most) ND can keep their home games on NBC (not the money obviously but just the broadcast location, assuming NBC pays up for it). So to keep with that idea of change without too much change just like having travel partners to lessen the feel of leaving for schools that leave. ND B10 away games will still be put on whatever other networks the B10 partners with so they get the benefit of ND eyeballs as well. When that deal expires then the next contract after they can be assimilated just like the rest of the B10 schools and have their home games be broadcast anywhere.

The Big 10 can't stop by just adding two teams from California. They are going to need to close the open territory between Nebraska and California. I can see Washington, Oregon, U of Arizona and maybe Colorado. But you have to have some schools out there as well for USC and UCLA to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT