ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten reset

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017
While we were all focused on Omoruyi, lots of other Big Ten decisions were made yesterday:

Amir Coffey staying in the draft really cripples Minnesota. We only play them once at home this year but that's an imperative win if we want to get to the postseason. They lose Murphy, McBrayer, and Coffey from an already-shallow team last year. Kalscheur and Oturu are legit and they have a sit-out transfer becoming eligible, but we should absolutely be able to handle them at home.

Anthony Cowan is back for Maryland and so they'll get some top-10 hype with him, Jalen Smith, Wiggins, and Ayala. We have to play them both home and away.

Lamar Stevens returns for Penn State and they're weirdly getting buzz but I don't see it. Losing Bolton and Reaves is big for them and I don't see any impact newcomers. It's gonna be the Stevens show all year and he's not quite good enough to carry a team given the rest of its parts.

My rankings today:

TIER 1
1. Michigan State
2. Maryland

TIER 2
3. Ohio State
4. Purdue
5. Illinois

TIER 3
6. Rutgers
7. Iowa (bump them up if Bohannon is healthy)
8. Michigan
9. Wisconsin
10. Penn State
11. Indiana
12. Minnesota

TIER 4
13. Nebraska
14. Northwestern

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I’m sorry but I can’t see Rutgers at 6. Even with Beilein leaving Michigan will still be better than Rutgers.

Tier 3 is very very tightly packed IMO. So Do you may well be right.

Nebraksa's Isiah Robey staying in the draft and will not return to Nebraksa. Even with this, I have them been better than Tier 4 due to Hoiberg and the kids he's bringing in.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I think the reality was we were over hyping our place based on the hope Eugene was going to be healthy. Now that Eugene is gone most are saying, probably correctly, that we needed to have a backup plan because it wasn't likely Eugene can make it through the year OR be 100% effective.

While we were all focused on Omoruyi, lots of other Big Ten decisions were made yesterday:

Amir Coffey staying in the draft really cripples Minnesota. We only play them once at home this year but that's an imperative win if we want to get to the postseason. They lose Murphy, McBrayer, and Coffey from an already-shallow team last year. Kalscheur and Oturu are legit and they have a sit-out transfer becoming eligible, but we should absolutely be able to handle them at home.

Anthony Cowan is back for Maryland and so they'll get some top-10 hype with him, Jalen Smith, Wiggins, and Ayala. We have to play them both home and away.

Lamar Stevens returns for Penn State and they're weirdly getting buzz but I don't see it. Losing Bolton and Reaves is big for them and I don't see any impact newcomers. It's gonna be the Stevens show all year and he's not quite good enough to carry a team given the rest of its parts.

My rankings today:

TIER 1
1. Michigan State
2. Maryland

TIER 2
3. Ohio State
4. Purdue
5. Illinois

TIER 3
6. Rutgers
7. Iowa (bump them up if Bohannon is healthy)
8. Michigan
9. Wisconsin
10. Penn State
11. Indiana
12. Minnesota

TIER 4
13. Nebraska
14. Northwestern

Here's my take:

TIER 1
1. Michigan State - duh!

TIER 2
2a Maryland
2b. Ohio State
4. Purdue

TIER 3
5. Michigan - still lots of talent
6. Illinois - lots of returning talent
7. Iowa - only here if Bohannon is healthy, but if he misses the year, they drop to 9d
8. Wisconsin - they take a big step back because of loss of Happ
9a. Rutgers - losing Omoruyi will hurt. Two days ago, I probably would have had us 6th
9b. Penn State - Stevens is good, but they could be a 2019-20 version of last year's Nebraska team (James Palmer + ?)
9c. Indiana - good young talent but still building
12. Nebraska - Hoiberg knows how to build a Frankenstein-like team, so I keep them out of Tier 4

TIER 4
13. Minnesota - losing both of their stars, on a team already lacking in depth, crushes them
14. Northwestern - absolute bottom feeder this coming year

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Bart's tiers (feel free to bash as they are the internets)

Tier 1

1. MSU--1
2. Purdue--4

Tier 2
3. MD--12
4. ILL--16
5. OSU--18
6. WISC--20
7 PSU--21

Tier 3
8. Mich--34
9. Iowa--44
10. RU--50
11. Ind--55

Tier 4
12. Neb--70
13. Min--73

Tier 5
14. NW--150

Lol at PSU

I'd love to know how his formula arrives at Lamar Stevens posting a 106 ORtg on 29% usage. Only like 10 or 11 guys did that at the high major level last year and we're talking about guys like Carsen Edwards, RJ Barrett, Myles Powell, etc. Stevens isn't on that level I don't think.

Reactions: blockm2
I'd love to know how his formula arrives at Lamar Stevens posting a 106 ORtg on 29% usage. Only like 10 or 11 guys did that at the high major level last year and we're talking about guys like Carsen Edwards, RJ Barrett, Myles Powell, etc. Stevens isn't on that level I don't think.
He was awful in the beginning of the year, but started to make shots the game before we faced him....from there he was pretty good thru the end of the season.

Not to belabor the point but I think it's widely agreed that the Big Ten looks significantly weaker today than it did a month and a half ago. I think 6 or 7 bids is a realistic outlook. Which makes our joke OOC look even worse.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Not to belabor the point but I think it's widely agreed that the Big Ten looks significantly weaker today than it did a month and a half ago. I think 6 or 7 bids is a realistic outlook. Which makes our joke OOC look even worse.

Maybe by a casual observer, but I think if you look at the bigger picture that may not be the case.

If B1G looks weak there has to be at least one conference that looks strong.

Maybe by a casual observer, but I think if you look at the bigger picture that may not be the case.

If B1G looks weak there has to be at least one conference that looks strong.

Big East looking good for a bounce back. Pac 12 can't possibly be as bad as last year. Big 12 is always strong. ACC about the same as last year.

Big East looking good for a bounce back. Pac 12 can't possibly be as bad as last year. Big 12 is always strong. ACC about the same as last year.

There was some analysis done...quite a few B1G teams look better on paper, including the team without Eugene.

Reactions: RutgHoops
There was some analysis done...quite a few B1G teams look better on paper, including the team without Eugene.

Last season the Big Ten (teams) played the toughest OOC schedule and had great success against that difficult OOC schedule. Due to playing both the ACC challenge and the Gavitt games as well as the amount of schools that schedule "up" (i.e. Michigan State, Indiana historically) I believe the league will again have a top or top 2 SOS in ooc games. The amount of success teams in the league have in those ooc games will determine whether the league gets 5 bids or 8 bids (or in between).

need 2 things...schedule the games, but then win them.

Cementing your rankings in November and early December a lot of our teams should be ready to go out of the gate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT