ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest RU Screw Ever?

Eagleton96

All American
Jul 25, 2001
With the change in the rules, I kinda feel like the rug has been pulled out from us. Just when the hoops team seems like it's turning the corner, and we land our dream #3 recruiting class...the rules change and whole universe of college basketball goes sideways. Now just having a great HS recruiting class isn't enough. Other teams are just bringing in the free agent all star team.

Sometimes it feels that literally, the basketball gods would rather turn the sport upside down than let us win.

I don't feel that we can't ever win, but it's definitely been a rollercoaster ride going from the pinnacle into the muck.

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Just when the hoops team seems like it's turning the corner, and we miraculously land our dream #3 recruiting class...the whole universe of college basketball goes sideways. Surprise RU fans, high school recruiting doesn't matter any more. Now it's free agency and you don't have the money. Psych!

Literally, the basketball gods would rather turn the sport upside down than let us win.

I don't feel that we can't ever win, but it's definitely been a rollercoaster ride going from the pinnacle into the muck.
Instead of posting, go speak with your psychologist . . .

Please help with me understand this one; HS recruiting doesn't matter when we have the greatest HS recruiting class ever. It still matters - team isn't finalized and transfer portal players we added are going to contribute plenty.

Please help with me understand this one; HS recruiting doesn't matter when we have the greatest HS recruiting class ever. It still matters - team isn't finalized and transfer portal players we added are going to contribute plenty.

OP makes no sense

Complains that we have no shot for success cuase recruiting has changed yet we have the best class in the history of the program. #3 in country with 2 lottery picks and another top recruit in Lathan

Doesn’t compute

Just when the hoops team seems like it's turning the corner, and we miraculously land our dream #3 recruiting class...the whole universe of college basketball goes sideways. Surprise RU fans, high school recruiting doesn't matter any more. Now it's free agency and you don't have the money. Psych!

Literally, the basketball gods would rather turn the sport upside down than let us win.

Your post is several years too late

Did you forget about the global pandemic which delayed us ending 30 years of misery for an extra year?!?!?!

We are likely going to finish with 5 portal additions to replace the 5 departing players.

Derkack is better than Simpson and both are current juniors.

We are targeting a 40% 3 point shooter in PJ Hayes, who at least for this coming season, is a more proven shooter from distance than Gavin Griffiths was last year.....is Gavin likely going to be better in year 2 than last year?? Probably, but I don't think getting to 40% on almost 200 attempts like PJ Hayes, is something Griffiths was going to hit next year.

We are adding a proven scorer in Tyson Acuff, who is a grad transfer, to replace the departing grad transfer in Fernandes....anyone with eyes on tape, clearly sees Acuff as an upgrade off the bench or spot starter vs Noah.

We are getting rid of a net negative in Mawot Mag, who frankly, was given a lot of leadership responsibility and was trusted to put forth a honest effort last year.....so much so that we didn't recruit over him in the portal AND paid him NIL to stay last summer.....he sulked most of the start of the season by not playing when he could have, then eventually decided to play, then had a couple of impact games, before shutting it down, in the remaining games in mid February ....getting rid of Mag is a net positive, irregardless of what Martini does.....Martini isn't a good defensive player like Mag, but frosh Grant and Dortch are positive impact defenders....that upgrade at that spot is huge.

Chol is a departing player we are upgrading with at forward with the frosh Dortch and Grant

Woolfolk is being upgraded with adding a full offseason of Ogbole..we just need Ogbole to make a modest jump and he upgrades over Wolf, especially in the paint on defense and rebounding. Neither provided offense, so no downside is there IMO.

The additional big we will add, combined with Sommervilles play at center, will combine to give RU, more firepower than Cliff provided on offense, with more conversions in paint with better passing/fewer turnovers.. The 32 to 34 minutes with the incoming 2 bigs, will exceed Cliff on offense BUT, will be worse on defense......

Then you add Ace, to replace the production of Hyatt AND add Dylan Harper and a full off season with JWill.....it's hard to argue this isn't an exciting roster on paper, with options.

With the change in the rules, I kinda feel like the rug has been pulled out from us. Just when the hoops team seems like it's turning the corner, and we land our dream #3 recruiting class...the rules change and whole universe of college basketball goes sideways. Now just having a great HS recruiting class isn't enough. Other team are just bringing in the free agent all star team.

Sometimes it feels that literally, the basketball gods would rather turn the sport upside down than let us win.

You are a good poster, but this is not your best post.

We have more and better offensive talent. We have more toughness. We have better leadership. We are going to win plenty this season.

Last edited:
I get what he is saying. Remains to be seen how the roster ends up but no doubt right now we'd be better if only guys who didn't get minutes transfered out and not guys who are part of the rotation.

But that’s largely what happened this year - most of the guys that transferred out (with the exception of Cliff) RU fans WANTED to move on (including mag and Derek). And replaced with better players. No?

I am very confused by some of the posts in this thread.

At least this year RU is benefiting BIG time from these rules

What’s going on for RU this year is literally the exact opposite of the OP

(Aside from Cliff ) - are you actually saying we’d be better with Derek, mag, chol,wolf and goggles then the incoming recruits?!? I mean if that’s your point I gotta say I totally disagree

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
With the change in the rules, I kinda feel like the rug has been pulled out from us. Just when the hoops team seems like it's turning the corner, and we land our dream #3 recruiting class...the rules change and whole universe of college basketball goes sideways. Now just having a great HS recruiting class isn't enough. Other team are just bringing in the free agent all star team.

Make it stop...

That's not the essence of the RU Screw . . . .

By rules are you including NIL? Because I don't think you can say with 100% certainty that without NIL we would have Ace and Dylan.

Reactions: RW90
We actually got rid of a bunch of underperforming players and upgraded bc of the portal

Simpson was historically bad shooter, Wolf regressed. Would you rather those two or Acuff and Martini?
Exactly. Some people can only see the negative. This will be a great team to watch. Enjoy it Rutgers fans!!!

By rules are you including NIL? Because I don't think you can say with 100% certainty that without NIL we would have Ace and Dylan.

I don’t see how we would have landed ace without NIL

This thread is just bizarre.

We have the best recruiting class in the history of the program and have a decent transfer class coming in (still to be finalized) which is undoubtedly better than what went out (except Cliff who IMHO doesn’t really factor into this complaint about rule changes since he gave us 4 years).

We will be a noticeably better.

And the roster is a result of the rule changes. The situation is literally the exact opposite of the OPs premise. We are hardly getting screwed

Last edited:
We actually got rid of a bunch of underperforming players and upgraded bc of the portal

Simpson was historically bad shooter, Wolf regressed. Would you rather those two or Acuff and Martini?
You left out Cliff and Mag

So does this mean all the "This needs to stop! Something must be done about transfers!!" posts were uncalled for?

Seems most like the new system and being able to instantly upgrade the roster if wanted.

We are likely going to finish with 5 portal additions to replace the 5 departing players.

Derkack is better than Simpson and both are current juniors.

We are targeting a 40% 3 point shooter in PJ Hayes, who at least for this coming season, is a more proven shooter from distance than Gavin Griffiths was last year.....is Gavin likely going to be better in year 2 than last year?? Probably, but I don't think getting to 40% on almost 200 attempts like PJ Hayes, is something Griffiths was going to hit next year.

We are adding a proven scorer in Tyson Acuff, who is a grad transfer, to replace the departing grad transfer in Fernandes....anyone with eyes on tape, clearly sees Acuff as an upgrade off the bench or spot starter vs Noah.

We are getting rid of a net negative in Mawot Mag, who frankly, was given a lot of leadership responsibility and was trusted to put forth a honest effort last year.....so much so that we didn't recruit over him in the portal AND paid him NIL to stay last summer.....he sulked most of the start of the season by not playing when he could have, then eventually decided to play, then had a couple of impact games, before shutting it down, in the remaining games in mid February ....getting rid of Mag is a net positive, irregardless of what Martini does.....Martini isn't a good defensive player like Mag, but frosh Grant and Dortch are positive impact defenders....that upgrade at that spot is huge.

Chol is a departing player we are upgrading with at forward with the frosh Dortch and Grant

Woolfolk is being upgraded with adding a full offseason of Ogbole..we just need Ogbole to make a modest jump and he upgrades over Wolf, especially in the paint on defense and rebounding. Neither provided offense, so no downside is there IMO.

The additional big we will add, combined with Sommervilles play at center, will combine to give RU, more firepower than Cliff provided on offense, with more conversions in paint with better passing/fewer turnovers.. The 32 to 34 minutes with the incoming 2 bigs, will exceed Cliff on offense BUT, will be worse on defense......

Then you add Ace, to replace the production of Hyatt AND add Dylan Harper and a full off season with JWill.....it's hard to argue this isn't an exciting roster on paper, with options.
As long as we don't have to suffer from 100 missed layups per game and 50% missed fouls shots a game, we'll all feel a whole lot better than we did last year

Gavin may shoot 40% (or close to it) at Nebraska. I worry about other things with him.

Hopefully Hayes doesnt hurt is on D. The defensive rebounding metrics look fine from last year. I am sure he will be stronger with the ball.

I'm just saying that a few years ago, with this recruiting class and the momentum we have, we were talking about RU as a "new blood". Now we are back down to earth a little watching the blue bloods scoop up all the players we thought (wrongly) that we had a chance with. And knowing that we could lose any HS player we develop if we can't come up with the cash. So, while this year's class and the team overall look promising and a nice next step, it's still a let down for a lot of fans who were assessing our prospects based on the old rules of the game pre NIL/portal.

AND, what a coincidence that after nearly 40 years....right when RU finally cracks the code and lands a top 5 class, all the rules change on us.

Last edited:
Cliff is a huge loss to this team. BIG TEN Champions if Cliff is on this team. he is a difference maker on defense that will be sorely missed.

No one is disputing that. He gave us 4 years and got his degree. He should take advantage of the Covid bonus.

With the change in the rules, I kinda feel like the rug has been pulled out from us. Just when the hoops team seems like it's turning the corner, and we land our dream #3 recruiting class...the rules change and whole universe of college basketball goes sideways. Now just having a great HS recruiting class isn't enough. Other teams are just bringing in the free agent all star team.

We wouldn't have this class with the old rules.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
At ohio state, player ob, makes last second shot, do not review, don't make tournament, change rule following year.

Reactions: RUnTeX

For starters I got 25 years on you and you know little of the RU Screw (that's good for you lol).
Next, Rutgers was turning the corner heading BACK TO HOME a few years ago.
You really think we just recruited a few top 3 players out of HS and no cash was involved? Aren't you "Mr. it is all about NIL" ?
These guys haven't even played game 1 yet so where is this "Pinnacle"?

Relax man. We are FAR away from the muck...I'm no expert but I really like where we are. And that is coming from a guy who has some questions about coach. Muck was last year. The Pinnacle may be on the tee waiting for a 300 yard drive down the center.

Reactions: Eagleton96
As an aside, I got a Nike notification today to buy the Book 1 on Dylan’s endorsement. This NIL thing is going to be really good for us.

Sleeping Giant is awake and getting his morning lift in.

Reactions: tm_nj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT