ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Winners In RU’s OL Improvement Moves

mildone

Legend
Dec 19, 2011
The QB group. Especially Wimsatt because it’s way easier to develop at QB playing behind a competent OL than not.

Tied for second place are the RBs, WRs and TEs.

And then there’s the entire D unit, since having the O on the field longer means more rest and more time to iron out holes in the D during the game.

And lastly, the fans. A competent OL goes a long way towards making our currently dysfunctional offense functional again. And that will make our games a lot more enjoyable to watch, win or lose.

Great job by GS and his staff.

Btn will be complaining that we have an unfair advantage. Our OL is too big and strong vs the opponents Dlines.
Whoa there. Lets keep our feet on the ground. 🙂

We are adding both depth and talent, which is great. But even these moves are only another step in the right direction. A big one, but just a step.

I think this can help us pick up a win or two more in our soul crushing schedule next season. But we need to continue making these steps for awhile before we’re ready to regularly compete with the big boys in our conference.

What I like is that our incoming OL freshman will now get more time in S&C and development before they get thrown into the big ten fire. These recent transfers are buying our young players time which will pay off hugely in a couple more years.

I remember GS, in an interview back before he left for TB, talking about how we had improved recruiting a lot, but that we were stuck getting either big players, or athletic/fast players, but still hadn’t leapt the hurdle that was recruiting big and fast players.

Seems he’s figured that out now.

I remember GS, in an interview back before he left for TB, talking about how we had improved recruiting a lot, but that we were stuck getting either big players, or athletic/fast players, but still hadn’t leapt the hurdle that was recruiting big and fast players.

Seems he’s figured that out now.
B1G conference definitely helps….

DLine room should be a winner as well, as some
of these gifted athletes may switch to that side of the ball come training camp.

All I know is the 2 deep for the OL and DL is going to be one of the best we’ve seen at Rutgers in a very long time

Reactions: RU_Mach
The QB group. Especially Wimsatt because it’s way easier to develop at QB playing behind a competent OL than not.

Tied for second place are the RBs, WRs and TEs.

And then there’s the entire D unit, since having the O on the field longer means more rest and more time to iron out holes in the D during the game.

And lastly, the fans. A competent OL goes a long way towards making our currently dysfunctional offense functional again. And that will make our games a lot more enjoyable to watch, win or lose.

Great job by GS and his staff.
My only regret is that Pacheco won’t get a chance behind this line . Was really rooting for him . If only our line could have opeNed up a few more small holes for him this year .

What I like is that our incoming OL freshman will now get more time in S&C and development before they get thrown into the big ten fire. These recent transfers are buying our young players time which will pay off hugely in a couple more years.
Yes yes yes

plus having a decent (good?) O line will undoubtedly help Gavins development. Have to think it’s gonna be much easier for him to improve if he’s not spending the entire game running for his life / on his back.

I know not a great comparison But look at art. Sure he Very likely never would have developed into a good qb (due to his own limitations) but his freshman year HE NEVER HAD A CHANCE. I still have nightmares of that shot he took from Bosa.

hopefully now Gavin will have the TIME to throw and the HOLES to run - helping him improve his game and make stuff happen!

Last edited:
the O-Line is bigger, broader and taller.... gotta make sure QB is tall enough to see past them ...LOL.
..or pass over them.

Reactions: scripts
- WR transfer from WVU
- OL transfer from Sacred Heart but with tons of offers
- OL transfer from Minnesota
- OL transfer from Colorado State
- OL transfer from ULM

Not sure how many more scholarships Schiano has left but this is an amazing transformation of the offense. Wimsatt and Vedral have to be thrilled. I know Johnny Langan is because he has been on social media about it.

Suddenly, games against BC, Nebraska, and Minnesota (and 6 wins) feel more like we have a solid chance.

One thing that's interesting is that I know SMU is one of these schools where alums are throwing lucrative NIL deals at each and every recruit that signs. Yet we took a recruit from them. It won't happen but I'd love to know what this kid heard from both camps before deciding on RU.

- WR transfer from WVU
- OL transfer from ULM

Not sure how many more scholarships Schiano has left but this is an amazing transformation of the offense. Wimsatt and Vedral have to be thrilled. I know Johnny Langan is because he has been on social media about it.

Suddenly, games against BC, Nebraska, and Minnesota (and 6 wins) feel more like we have a solid chance.

One thing that's interesting is that I know SMU is one of these schools where alums are throwing lucrative NIL deals at each and every recruit that signs. Yet we took a recruit from them. It won't happen but I'd love to know what this kid heard from both camps before deciding on RU.
AGREE... actions speak louder than words, and SCHIANO-Man's actions have been speaking volumes of how this program is developing. I think everyone bELieves next season will be a postive and successful one !

Reactions: LeapinLou
These transfers give our highly rated 2022 OL class time to develop in the weight room. Really bridges things until they are ready. Recipe for winning, don't surrender sacks and sack the opponents QB on the regular.

- WR transfer from WVU
- OL transfer from ULM

I think the board as a whole is celebrating these recruiting wins, as we should.

But we have no idea if these players (other than Minn OL transfer) can be starter level contributors and improvements over what we have.

Yes, on the OL, I know the bar is low so there's excitement there. But we've had plenty of transfers over the years, many of them former 4 stars .. and we've seen very ehhh results from a larger majority of them.

So I am one, who definitely is choosing to withhold raising any expectations for 2022 until we see where these transfers land on the 2deep and if Gavin matures his game (reading defenses, making the right throws, accuracy) in Spring & Summer camps the way we all hope and know he can.

I think the board as a whole is celebrating these recruiting wins, as we should.

But we have no idea if these players (other than Minn OL transfer) can be starter level contributors and improvements over what we have.

Yes, on the OL, I know the bar is low so there's excitement there. But we've had plenty of transfers over the years, many of them former 4 stars .. and we've seen very ehhh results from a larger majority of them.

So I am one, who definitely is choosing to withhold raising any expectations for 2022 until we see where these transfers land on the 2deep and if Gavin matures his game (reading defenses, making the right throws, accuracy) in Spring & Summer camps the way we all hope and know he can.

I'd raise expectations for the season as a whole based on the assumption that if the transfers are not an upgrade the incoming freshman will be by the middle of the season. And when Dill transferred in from Maryland the results were not ehhh, though I guess he could be equated to the transfer from Minny.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

It's a step in the right direction and if all three wind up starting, a pretty huge step for the team. The OL was (obviously, from our play and from where the recruiting efforts focused) a major weak spot for the team.

But yes, even if all three work out well, we still lack depth in a number of other areas. The program still has lots of recruiting and developing to do before we can regularly compete in the upper half of the Big Ten East.

Still, these transfers give me hope that, instead of 2-3 win projection for 2022, we might eek out 3-5 wins instead. And I think that's huge, from a recruiting standpoint. Every game we can win, and every game we can at least appear competitive in, will help the program continue to recruit well.

And with the incoming class plus even more transfers, 2023 is looking like the season we could become bowl eligible again (on merit).

I'd raise expectations for the season as a whole based on the assumption that if the transfers are not an upgrade the incoming freshman will be by the middle of the season. And when Dill transferred in from Maryland the results were not ehhh, though I guess he could be equated to the transfer from Minny.
Ideally we won't need any of the OL freshman in 2022. Time spent in S&C has to help prevent injuries to their knees, hips and backs, once they start playing. But yes, if the transfers don't work out and the current OL players don't develop enough in the off-season, then I'd expect one or two freshman to be playing some.

Vedral may also be a big loser in all this. If the line is much improved , schiano and company may be more inclined to go to wimstatt if they know he won’t get killed back there. And if wimstatt stays healthy , less playing time for vedral.

Wasn't that you talking two seconds ago about beating a ranked team to open up the season? That's how ya withhold expectations? 😜

• Haha
Reactions: ScarletKid2008
One other thing. I think there is an underestimation of what Pierce can do next year with another offseason of S&C and his sometimes trying experience last fall. I really see him as developing into a Mike Fladell caliber ORT.

Wasn't that you talking two seconds ago about beating a ranked team to open up the season? That's how ya withhold expectations? 😜

Yes true. I only raised it as a possibility because BC could be unexpectedly be ranked. But yeah man, I'm guilty as everyone else. That's the life as a RU fan. Gotta have some glimmer of hope, otherwise we would've left the ship a long time ago .

Reactions: fsg2
Vedral may also be a big loser in all this. If the line is much improved , schiano and company may be more inclined to go to wimstatt if they know he won’t get killed back there. And if wimstatt stays healthy , less playing time for vedral.
It's possible. I think a lot of decision-making about the starting QB will be based on the strength (or weakness) of the WR and TE rooms.

If I had to bet, I'd still bet that Vedral will start next season. While Wimsatt clearly has more natural talent, both passing and running, he lacks the depth of experience Vedral has at recognizing the defense. and running the offense. And it's seemed that GS/Gleeson really value that particular aspect of QB play.

But I also won't be surprised to see QB by committee between Vedral and Wimsatt. Doing so could present difficulties for opponent's DCs. Especially if both QBs are used for pretty much all kinds of plays, so the DC cannot guess at the play based on which QB is in at any given time. And showing more of a certain type of play for one QB the week before, and then swapping that the following week could bluff a DC that tries to guess what we're going to do.

The obvious downside of that approach is that they'd have to share snaps in practice which could interfere with the rhythm that gets established between QB and receivers. But our passing game, so far under Schiano, hasn't seemingly relied much on timing passes past the LOS (it has had timing passes behind the LOS). And rhythm probably matters most in timing passes.

Unlike most others here, I have no preference and I trust the coaching staff to make the right decision on who starts. I also trust that they will be reasonably quick to change things up when we're struggling.

I'm excited to see their choice.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
From Gavin’s Mom—

Gotta figure that, for any parent of a QB, building up the O line is a very good thing to see. It helps to protect their son, helps their son look better on the field, and can ultimately help their son look good to pro scouts.

I probably should've listed Gavin's mom as tied for the biggest winner with the QB room. 😀

Reactions: RedTeam1994
of these gifted athletes may switch to that side of the ball come training camp.

All I know is the 2 deep for the OL and DL is going to be one of the best we’ve seen at Rutgers in a very long time
Yeah gotta figure Brown, Rainey and maybe Missouri all move back to D now. We need depth on the D-line and Brown was on the 2-deep in the beginning of the season so definitely could be in the rotation.

Reactions: rucoe89

Been wondering about that. Is that realistic? Would be great to add some beef on that side of the line. Maybe Brown or Rainey shift back?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT