ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Winners In RU’s OL Improvement Moves

Biggest winner = Gleason, he’ll be a genius again (you need the horses)
And the biggest pressure to live up to his OC reputation too. Should be really interesting now that he can design plays that take a little time to create.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Looks like BC may be ranked (20-25) heading into the season opener from some early 2022 rankings I've seen. That would be incredible to get our first ranked win in (a decade?) at BC in their home opener!
Beyond absurd that they're ranked at all going into next season. 78th in Sagarin, at 6-6, with the nation's 78th most difficult schedule last year. They also play @Wake, @ND, @VT, @FSU and @NCState with Clemson at home this season so kinda not getting this one at all.

Last edited:
Looks like BC may be ranked (20-25) heading into the season opener from some early 2022 rankings I've seen. That would be incredible to get our first ranked win in (a decade?) at BC in their home opener!
Gotta link?
Based on what? Finishing last in gauntlet that is the ACC Atlantic Division? Beating Colgate, UMass and Temple and not beating a single team with a winning record? Genuinely curious about how they could be ranked?

Put Johnny Football behind the OL and let him run!
Yes, I think the winners are those of us that appreciate some Road Grader in our offense.

ConcernedDeadlyGermanpinscher-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lots of comments on some DL to OL guys moving back to the DL. I just don’t think that’s how it works. If good enough to get on field at DL they would still be there. Unfortunately if you move from DL to OL, the next stop is lower level.

I remember GS, in an interview back before he left for TB, talking about how we had improved recruiting a lot, but that we were stuck getting either big players, or athletic/fast players, but still hadn’t leapt the hurdle that was recruiting big and fast players.

Seems he’s figured that out now.
Certainly being a B1G member for GS2 helps with the sales pitch.

Vedral may also be a big loser in all this. If the line is much improved , schiano and company may be more inclined to go to wimstatt if they know he won’t get killed back there. And if wimstatt stays healthy , less playing time for vedral.
Vedral has no chance of being a loser in this- Kid has played a lot of years as a starter and his goals are to get a degree and get into coaching. If he is not the starter next year and can mentor a young GW, he is getting a huge headstart on his future goals.

Lots of comments on some DL to OL guys moving back to the DL. I just don’t think that’s how it works. If good enough to get on field at DL they would still be there. Unfortunately if you move from DL to OL, the next stop is lower level.
Not sure about the other guys but Ireland Brown was getting time at DT before they moved him to guard out of necessity. Also, we lose Turner who was an every down player at NT.

Yeah BC got in bowl game because they only have 8 conference games, we have nine.

It's possible. I think a lot of decision-making about the starting QB will be based on the strength (or weakness) of the WR and TE rooms.

If I had to bet, I'd still bet that Vedral will start next season. While Wimsatt clearly has more natural talent, both passing and running, he lacks the depth of experience Vedral has at recognizing the defense. and running the offense. And it's seemed that GS/Gleeson really value that particular aspect of QB play.

But I also won't be surprised to see QB by committee between Vedral and Wimsatt. Doing so could present difficulties for opponent's DCs. Especially if both QBs are used for pretty much all kinds of plays, so the DC cannot guess at the play based on which QB is in at any given time. And showing more of a certain type of play for one QB the week before, and then swapping that the following week could bluff a DC that tries to guess what we're going to do.

The obvious downside of that approach is that they'd have to share snaps in practice which could interfere with the rhythm that gets established between QB and receivers. But our passing game, so far under Schiano, hasn't seemingly relied much on timing passes past the LOS (it has had timing passes behind the LOS). And rhythm probably matters most in timing passes.

Unlike most others here, I have no preference and I trust the coaching staff to make the right decision on who starts. I also trust that they will be reasonably quick to change things up when we're struggling.

I'm excited to see their choice.
Vedrals experience is worthless in my opinion because he literally has no throwing talent whatsoever

Vedrals experience is worthless in my opinion because he literally has no throwing talent whatsoever
You're entitled to your opinion but it's pretty clear the coaching staff feel otherwise. It's possible the coaching staff be able to get Wimsatt developed to a point where he starts in the first game of 2022. But I'm sticking with my guess that it'll be Vedral who starts in the first game.

You're entitled to your opinion but it's pretty clear the coaching staff feel otherwise. It's possible the coaching staff be able to get Wimsatt developed to a point where he starts in the first game of 2022. But I'm sticking with my guess that it'll be Vedral who starts in the first game.
Oh if I was betting on who would start, its probably Vedral. That being said he has the worst arm talent of any qb on the roster, probably the conference, and maybe the entire country.

But he probably has the best "grasp" of the offense which will help him immensely.

Oh if I was betting on who would start, its probably Vedral. That being said he has the worst arm talent of any qb on the roster, probably the conference, and maybe the entire country.

But he probably has the best "grasp" of the offense which will help him immensely.
In games in 2020, plus a few in 2021, most where he had enough time to go through progressions and where our WRs or TEs or RBs were able to get a bit of separation, Vedral was able to get them the ball.

But yeah, nobody is going to be giving him Great Arm awards anytime soon. If the OL improves a bunch, then the decision about playing Wimsatt is likely to hinge almost entirely on how well Wimsatt is able to demonstrate all the other QB qualities coaches want to see, besides arm strength and running ability.

If Wimsatt totally kills it in strength training, and in the meeting room, between now and Spring training, and if he is able to demonstrate all the less visible qualities Coach's like and fans rarely notice in Spring training, then I think he has a good shot at starting.

But if his improvement is merely ordinary, then I would think Vedral will have the edge.

Like I said earlier, I'm excited to see how he progresses and who the staff pick.

I remember GS, in an interview back before he left for TB, talking about how we had improved recruiting a lot, but that we were stuck getting either big players, or athletic/fast players, but still hadn’t leapt the hurdle that was recruiting big and fast players.

Seems he’s figured that out now.
Funny that you should mention that. It was one of the things he used to say that had stuck with me all these years as well. How there weren't many really big athletic guys around. He has a lot more credibility this go around. Being in the Big Ten sure helps too.

Reactions: mildone
To think we may be able to use our TEs for something other than pass protection. Watch Langan and Konopka become Gavins security blankets.
They should. Can’t believe we have not used the TEs all that much in the passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT