ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest X factor in 2019-2020

For someone who into analytics, your self validation of Corey is off base.

Controlled+experiment.jpg
Stats totally support my theory.

Now the arguement would be defense, trust as a ball handler

In conference Issa was terrible every year. Only way to make issa look good is to include non conference games

All games as a sophomore
108.1 O rating with a microscopic 11.5 usage

Raise the hood his sophomore year (in conference)
93.4 O rating 12.9 usage

His non conference was off the charts that year.

Bottom line bad comparison.

In conference Issa was terrible every year. Only way to make issa look good is to include non conference games

All games as a sophomore
108.1 O rating with a microscopic 11.5 usage

Raise the hood his sophomore year (in conference)
93.4 O rating 12.9 usage

His non conference was off the charts that year.

Bottom line bad comparison.

Nobody is making that comparison! You're the one who brought him up.

This is what I said

These aren't quite Issa numbers (more from a usage standpoint) but they are in the same ballpark.

The ballpark i was referring to was PetCo Park before they moved the fences in.

Very possible. There were three additions after Sanders hired an agent on 3/29, but neither Young or Mulcahy would have been on the court with Sanders even if he had stayed. We still had an open scholarship, too, so it's not like there was no room.

4/15/18 - McConnell commits
4/21/18 - Young transfers to RU
6/16/18 - Mulcahy commits

Don’t you dare come at me with facts! That not how this board nor myself operates!

Reactions: RUChoppin
Harper since being a major part of the rotation in the big upset of Ohio State...

18 games
460 minutes (25.5 MPG)
36-66 from 2 point 54.5%
23-68 from 3 point 33.8%
25-34 from 1 point 73.5%
4 dunks
19 assts 14 turnovers
8 blocks
15 steals
8 offensive rebounds
57 defensive rebounds
7 games in double figures scoring
9.2 PPG

I totally get he is a freshman. I expect drastic improvement. Unless you have a lock down defender these numbers are not acceptable if you want to win B1G games.

These aren't quite Issa numbers (more from a usage standpoint) but they are in the same ballpark.

As i have said repeatedly I don't know what type of player RHJ ultimately becomes. Annointing him as the best player is way way premature and is wishful thinking.
What do you mean by usage? That he wasnt shooting enough? Because his splits are very solid for a freshamn in th B1G. 53% from the field is very good, 33% from 3 is solid, and he didn't turn over the ball. He was one of the most efficient players on the roster. I don't know if you just don't watch college b-ball but those are very positive numbers for a freshman on a team that is still building. It was clear at the end of the year he has the most talent on the potential and talent on the roster and got better as the competition got better.

Usage....ball in his hands more...making more plays.

Doesn’t mean his low usage numbers was his doing. I suspect his usage goes above 20% this year. There will be more possessions with the shot clock winding down where the ball is in his hands and not Eugene. He will have to take and make some lower quality shots.

We really need Baker’s usage to come down and efficiency up. Part of that goes to Harper and Caleb.

What do you mean by usage? That he wasnt shooting enough? Because his splits are very solid for a freshamn in th B1G. 53% from the field is very good, 33% from 3 is solid, and he didn't turn over the ball. He was one of the most efficient players on the roster. I don't know if you just don't watch college b-ball but those are very positive numbers for a freshman on a team that is still building. It was clear at the end of the year he has the most talent on the potential and talent on the roster and got better as the competition got better.

Usage is a crazy stat.

From basketball-reference.com:

Usg% - Usage Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * ((FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV) * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm FGA + 0.44 * Tm FTA + Tm TOV)). Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor.

sorry Hawk the team is filled with unknowns both from a player stand point and the missing Eugene.

You conveniently forget the 3 game stretch Eugene was hurt and how poorly we finished the season. All with unrealistic expectations need to pop in the Nebraska B1G T tape. That will sober you up.

Eugene isn't here and the 3 players incoming are legitimate players....that has nothing to do with when Eugene was out or the final 3 games.

I have to suggest that we look at the 1st 15 games vs the last 15 games.....the 1st 15 games by most metrics were not good....unless you count Drexel as some sort of litmus test.

We ended the season with Eugene unable to score against Nebraska, having Eugene nearly end the career of James Palmer with an ugly flagrant foul that would have been a suspension for certain if Palmer was hurt and I'm supposed to hitch my wagon as that season translating to this year??

RU is going to win more games than they lose this year and I'm planning to enjoy the process while it happens.

Usage is a crazy stat.

From basketball-reference.com:

Usg% - Usage Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * ((FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV) * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm FGA + 0.44 * Tm FTA + Tm TOV)). Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor.

What are your thoughts of using it to define or quantify a players weight in the average possession?

Seems a little flawed, but am sure it has some relevance.

NJH,

Every player coming in to our program is considered legitimate by you. At some point you lose credibility when you arent very objective. Nothing is certain especially 2 transfers and a freshman.

This is what I said

The ballpark i was referring to was PetCo Park before they moved the fences in.

You tried to compare Harper’s stats in the last 18 games (all B1G) to Issa’s OVERALL numbers for the year, which mostly included OOC since Issa fell off the map thereafter. You were trying to prove a point that Harper wasn’t much better than Issa.

It was, and is, a TERRIBLE and FLAWED comparison, likely done in your haste to downplay everybody’s excitement over Harper.

Reactions: Scangg
You tried to compare Harper’s stats in the last 18 games (all B1G) to Issa’s OVERALL numbers for the year, which mostly included OOC since Issa fell off the map thereafter. You were trying to prove a point that Harper wasn’t much better than Issa.

It was, and is, a TERRIBLE and FLAWED comparison, likely done in your haste to downplay everybody’s excitement over Harper.

Not accurate

NJH,

Every player coming in to our program is considered legitimate by you. At some point you lose credibility when you arent very objective. Nothing is certain especially 2 transfers and a freshman.

Since Pike has gotten here, beyond Souf and Bullock who were gone a year after their arrival, which player hasn't factored into the equation??

Eugene was one of his 1st recruits and was not a high major player in his 1st year. He was developed into one.

If most of the players since then, were ahead of Eugene upon arrival at RU, who hasn't played well in spots??

That doesn't mean RU has every recruit as a starter but there are far more hits than misses.

Harper since being a major part of the rotation in the big upset of Ohio State...

18 games
460 minutes (25.5 MPG)
36-66 from 2 point 54.5%
23-68 from 3 point 33.8%
25-34 from 1 point 73.5%
4 dunks
19 assts 14 turnovers
8 blocks
15 steals
8 offensive rebounds
57 defensive rebounds
7 games in double figures scoring
9.2 PPG

I totally get he is a freshman. I expect drastic improvement. Unless you have a lock down defender these numbers are not acceptable if you want to win B1G games.

As i have said repeatedly I don't know what type of player RHJ ultimately becomes. Annointing him as the best player is way way premature and is wishful thinking.

Not accurate

Sure seems like that’s what you were doing

Reactions: Scangg
What are your thoughts of using it to define or quantify a players weight in the average possession?

Seems a little flawed, but am sure it has some relevance.

I'm sure it has its uses, but it's weird that it includes turnovers but not rebounds or assists. I mean, someone could touch the ball on every possession, pull down a ton of rebounds, initiate fast breaks for others, and kick out for threes.... and have that show up nowhere in Usage.

http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2015&p=Anthony Collins&t=South FloridaI thought for sure assists would be included

Someone like Collins who played for USF and some other team used to dribble forever but take a few shots

At least as far as college-reference.com, he only had a usage of 15.2% in 2014-15, while Bart has him at 16.7%. So, the formula must be different. Bart and college-reference also have different values for ORtg. Not sure why.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/anthony-collins-1.html

Bizzare thread that I've missed in the midst of work and preseason football.

There is no X Factor.....there is no unknown quantity for the 1st time in a decade, we have 9 legitimate players and a 10th and 11th that would be starters or in the top 7 rotation in most of the last 10+ years of basketball.

The Mathis item is also a non issue...the fans need to start to watch basketball as a team sport and how parts actually fit together. In most of the last decade, it's been as resemblance of pieces thrown together.

In this coming season, adding Young Mulcahy and Yeboah and subtracting Eugene and Doorson is a complete change on how RU fans are used to watching basketball. It's easy to try and dissect things when you have limited pieces OR talent that wasn't well coached.

These pieces fit better than any RU team I can anticipate, since probably 15 plus years. It doesn't mean it's perfect or the best, but there's no way to evaluate players, when the ball doesn't move consistently and players aren't always willing to defer. In this case, every player can improve without doing anything drastically different, just because they actually like each other and are willing to make plays for others.

The defense is a concern, but I will maintain that teams that aren't good on defense, can play very well on defense when they're willing to share the ball....and that means you're more likely to be more helpful and focused on team defense, vs working towards just doing your job and not necessarily doing the things to help your teammates who may need help on defense.

The stats don't bear out that RU was good on defense last year, so there's no dropoff to worry about....and even with that dropoff, RU improved in all facets. I see the same steps forward this year.
You lost me on how sharing the ball on offense makes you better defensively.

ADVERTISEMENT