ADVERTISEMENT

Blending / Creating Traditions

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Looks like Ash has created some new traditions: e.g. The black stripe and knighting.

I'm wondering if he can create members of the Round Table (like players of the week) while keeping traditions like the scarlet walk, the ax ceremony / the CHOP?

Thoughts.

MO

You're confusing Rutgers traditions with Schiano traditions. Chop and Ax are Schiano traditions (we're not the Rutgers Lumberjacks), so expect them to be gone.

Reactions: 17Q66
Looks like Ash has created some new traditions: e.g. The black stripe and knighting.

I'm wondering if he can create members of the Round Table (like players of the week) while keeping traditions like the scarlet walk, the ax ceremony / the CHOP?

Thoughts.

MO
There was a "knights of the round table" for good practice players each week under Frank Burns in the late 70s and early 80s. So that one will not be brand new, but not sure other regimes since Burns.

Real Rutgers Traditions:

Canon Firing after scores,Knight Mascots, Fight Songs, Singing of the Alma Mater after games, Ringing of the Bell after championships or major victories (undefeated season, final four, etc), and Painting the Princeton Canon. All of these have been around for many decades or more.

Schiano traditions (Flood kept them):

Chop, Family, TBA, Axe, Scarlet Walk.

These started when Schiano was hired and Flood kept them.

The real Rutgers traditions are forever, the HC ones come and go with the HC. See Shea era with its Shock Power.

Last edited:
Real Rutgers Traditions:

Canon Firing after scores,Knight Mascots, Fight Songs, Singing of the Alma Mater after games, Ringing of the Bell after championships or major victories (undefeated season, final four, etc), Scarlet Walk and Painting the Princeton Canon. All of these have been around for many decades or more.

Chop, Family, TBA, Axe.

The real Rutgers traditions are forever, the HC ones come and go with the HC. See Shea era with its Shock Power.
And the one tradition which all the other traditions are based on, which is playing football. And this is the oldest college football tradition in the country.

Seriously? You don't know why the cannon is there?

I understand what the cannon represents. But why it's there is a different matter. It's there because a half-century or so ago someone thought it would be a neat addition to the Rutgers game day experience. No different than the chop. No different than the Axe. No different than the R-U chant, or playing The Bells Must Ring.

All traditions start sometime. Should we stop some old tradition because Harvey Harmon is no longer the coach?
I think not.

The chop was introduced by Schiano, but it's a good tradition that stands for working hard on the task at hand. No reason to purge good things just because of who came up with them.

Reactions: beaced
I don't know if I would say the cannon is no different than the chop or the axe. I have always thought the cannon was a link to Alexander Hamilton's artillery battery, which stopped the British from crossing the Raritan river in pursuit of George Washington and the Continental Army. If this is true, then having a tradition linked to a Revolutionary War battle fought on campus is a little different than these other traditions. Can't be more than two or three schools who can make this claim. (Princeton, Rutgers, maybe Columbia?)

Last edited:
Reactions: VW Knight
I don't know if I would say the cannon is no different than the chop or the axe. I have always thought the cannon was a link to Alexander Hamilton's artillery battery, which stopped the British from crossing the Raritan river in pursuit of George Washington and the Continental Army. If this is true, then having a tradition linked to a Revolutionary War battle fought on campus is a little different than these other traditions. Can't be more than two or three schools who can make this claim. (Princeton, Rutgers, maybe Columbia?)

Yes I am aware of Hamilton's cannon Brigade, and that is history worth remembering. People like to say the cannon is a link to that event, but in reality it's just a game day tradition that had it's origins in the 20th century. No different than other game day traditions.

(I have never seen any official link. The cannon was a class gift. The 2nd Middlesex Militia is a local re-enactors group that has no tie to Hamilton's brigade.)

I understand what the cannon represents. But why it's there is a different matter. It's there because a half-century or so ago someone thought it would be a neat addition to the Rutgers game day experience. No different than the chop. No different than the Axe. No different than the R-U chant, or playing The Bells Must Ring.

All traditions start sometime. Should we stop some old tradition because Harvey Harmon is no longer the coach?
I think not.

The chop was introduced by Schiano, but it's a good tradition that stands for working hard on the task at hand. No reason to purge good things just because of who came up with them.

Yes, the cannon represents a link to the history of Rutgers, specifically as a college during the Revolutionary War.

As JMG points out, that is very different than the chop or ax. Those are links to a motivational technique used by a specific coach and continued by one of his disciples. We now have a new coach who uses different motivational techniques. Since the motivational technique linked to the chop and ax no longer exists, there is no basis for the chop and ax to continue, as they are now linked to nothing.

Same thing with Ash's concept of removing the black stripe from the helmet to signify that a player is game ready. A coach in the future may use a different motivational technique to get players game ready. Then the stripe would become meaningless and would stop. (Although Ash has tied this to the Rutgers mascot by describing the stripe removal as being knighted, without the motivational technique it is still somewhat meaningless. If a future new coach uses a different motivational technique, he might use the phrase being knighted to describe a different activity, or he might eliminate it altogether if there is no appropriate use for it.)

The firing of the Canon after scores started around the 1940's. I can't find references to it before that. Rutgers history with Canons date back to 1777.

I love the whole concept of "creating a tradition" - kind of like this:

AntiqueTableSign_zps06b77db9.jpg

Real Rutgers Traditions:

Canon Firing after scores,Knight Mascots, Fight Songs, Singing of the Alma Mater after games, Ringing of the Bell after championships or major victories (undefeated season, final four, etc), and Painting the Princeton Canon. All of these have been around for many decades or more.

When I came to Rutgers, the tradition was singing Loyal Sons after games. I believe it was late 90's/early 2000's when we started singing the Alma Mater.

Reactions: 17Q66
Like the knighted stuff, like the scarlet walk, like the cannon. Glad the nonsensical chop is gone!

We're not talking "BOOM" here!

I really don't have get into the Battle of New Brunswick? The Rutgers Princeton Cannon wars? Then the Middle Three trophy. The game cannon tradition goes back to at least the 40's but the CANON goes back to 1777 which is what I wrote.

I really don't have get into the Battle of New Brunswick? The Rutgers Princeton Cannon wars? Then the Middle Three trophy. The game cannon tradition goes back to at least the 40's but the CANON goes back to 1777 which is what I wrote.
There's no CRYING in BASEBALL! Oops, I meant there's no BOOM in CANON!
... and the former is an infinitely better football hymn than the latter.
Yep, no question about it. It's about playing the game of football. Plus, we already play the Alma Mater to start the game, so why eliminate Loyal Sons at the end? And no reason you can't play both.

Real Rutgers Traditions:

Chop, Family, TBA, Axe, Scarlet Walk.

So you don't think that WMU should be "stuck" with rowing the boat for ever?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT