ADVERTISEMENT

Receiving Corp is very weak

Your comparison between the two is like Apples to Oranges. Jacque Jackson played for Div 2 Calif. Pa. he was a Div. 2 Honorable mention All American. Dymere Miller played for an FCS school and was a consensus 1st team All American. He led all of FCS in yardage/ 2nd in catches and was a finalist for the Walter Payton most outstanding FCS player.
The commonality is It’s still a lower level of play. Sacred Heart and New Hampshire are not USC and Washington.

This is the caliber of DB he’ll be going up against when we play USC:

4 ⭐️ Trequon Fegans

4 ⭐️ Prophet Brown

4 ⭐️ Jacobe Covington

So how many receiving yards do you expect to see from him?

Last edited:
The commonality is It’s still a lower level of play. Sacred Heart and New Hampshire are not USC and Washington.

This is the caliber of DB he’ll be going up against when we play USC:

4 ⭐️ Trequon Fegans

4 ⭐️ Prophet Brown

4 ⭐️ Jacobe Covington

So how many receiving yards do you expect to see from him?
You need to stop trolling our players, it is one thing to troll paid coaches, but these countless attacks on our receiving corps, kids putting their bodies on the line for your entertainment, is just plain wrong.

Reactions: Big East Beast
You need to stop trolling our players, it is one thing to troll paid coaches, but these countless attacks on our receiving corps, kids putting their bodies on the line for your entertainment, is just plain wrong.
Maybe you should practice what you preach. You have no problem criticizing Wimsatt, saying he isn’t playing the quarterback position for his passing.

Reactions: satnom and thegock
Didn’t read all of it but our WRs have ball skills. They have great hand and body control. We just don’t have the guy that can take the top off. But it’s Miller time next year.

Ohio St is an interesting case.
When Ohio was dominant the past years, they would always have a speedster going long
That would really stretch the field
The fast guys could often get underneath any over-thrown balls.
Over-thrown balls are safer than under-thrown.

A thing about GW is that he tips taller and his arms are realllly long
Long armed QBs are known to have accuracy issues.
With arms like catapults and a wide base, he's probably better at longer passes than the dinks.
His HS highlights show mostly long throws.

GW set the record for most yards in a season by an RU QB.
If he gets good downfield WRs he can probably hit them better AND when the field is stretched he can scoot.
Gavin is a turf monster the way Underwood was - just eats big chunks of turf.
A great, fast-twitch, 100m runner wont be good at a 1000m and vice versa.
GW isn't a cramped-up thrower

Get GW a fast, downfield WR with hands and things might be interesting.
Right now RU passing is like Eli when he couldn't throw long and was stuck tossing slants to Beckham.
Speaking of Eli - he was awful in first seasons - 48.2 accuracy in 2004 and 52.8 in 2005.
He was often horrible with shorts passes and screens were never things of beauty,

All ARMS
FnQBUyz.jpg

RG3 on long-arm passers

"To Griffin, the accuracy issues are born out of Wentz's physical profile as a long-armed, 6'5 quarterback.

"My coach used to call him a 'space-thrower,'" Griffin said. "It means he's a wide-base guy, so he needs a lot of space to make throws. He's a long-limbed guy, so if [a defense] gets a lot of push up the middle, it's gonna make him sail the ball because he's not gonna get all his momentum through the throws."

I would hope that KC has figured this out and adjusts the offense accordingly.

Ohio St is an interesting case.
When Ohio was dominant the past years, they would always have a speedster going long
That would really stretch the field
The fast guys could often get underneath any over-thrown balls.
Over-thrown balls are safer than under-thrown.

A thing about GW is that he tips taller and his arms are realllly long
Long armed QBs are known to have accuracy issues.
With arms like catapults and a wide base, he's probably better at longer passes than the dinks.
His HS highlights show mostly long throws.

GW set the record for most yards in a season by an RU QB.
If he gets good downfield WRs he can probably hit them better AND when the field is stretched he can scoot.
Gavin is a turf monster the way Underwood was - just eats big chunks of turf.
A great, fast-twitch, 100m runner wont be good at a 1000m and vice versa.
GW isn't a cramped-up thrower

Get GW a fast, downfield WR with hands and things might be interesting.
Right now RU passing is like Eli when he couldn't throw long and was stuck tossing slants to Beckham.
Speaking of Eli - he was awful in first seasons - 48.2 accuracy in 2004 and 52.8 in 2005.
He was often horrible with shorts passes and screens were never things of beauty,

All ARMS
FnQBUyz.jpg

RG3 on long-arm passers

"To Griffin, the accuracy issues are born out of Wentz's physical profile as a long-armed, 6'5 quarterback.

"My coach used to call him a 'space-thrower,'" Griffin said. "It means he's a wide-base guy, so he needs a lot of space to make throws. He's a long-limbed guy, so if [a defense] gets a lot of push up the middle, it's gonna make him sail the ball because he's not gonna get all his momentum through the throws."

Eli completed 61% of his college passes. Move on

Ah, I understand the problem completely. We just need to get a first round draft pick at WR and that will solve all of our problems.
If we could just get Spiderman as a WR it would make Al’s vision of Wimsatt as a QB come true.

Reactions: sct1111
We cannot fix our passing attack by solely focusing on the quarterbacks as the WR Corp and Tight End Corps are very weak in terms of talent. Receivers lack ball skills, the ability to make contested catches, speed, and tenacity. You look at someone like Miami’s Xavier Restrepo and he catches pretty much everything thrown to him, even when the throws are much less than perfect. Which is why he ended up with 99 yards receiving in the Pinstripe Bowl. We are missing similar talent in our WR Corp, and it shows in our receiving results.

Some are acting like changing the quarterback makes this a 2.5K to 3K passing attack. Hard to see that happening unless some of our receiving unknowns step up, and someone becomes a 1K yard receiver, which I frankly don’t see right now.

Let’s look at our receiving corps of the past, and what we need today, to move our passing attack forward.
In 2008, we had our best passing attack ever, and these were the final results.

r4qqT0h.jpg

As you can see, Kenny Britt absolutely killed it, putting up 1,371 receiving yards, and ultimately was drafted in the first round by the Tennessee Titans. He had a 93 yard TD play vs South Florida. And he had nearly triple our 2023 #1 receivers production. And was almost as productive as our Top 4 receivers from this year! This is the caliber of receiver we are missing.

Tim Brown was our very strong #2 receiver from the slot, and brought legit 4.3 - 4.4 speed to the table, and big play ability, with the playmaking skills to score from anywhere on the field. His longest play was 74 yards. He was better than any receiver that played this year.

Even our #3 receiver that year, Tiquan Underwood, got drafted, and was also better than any receiver that played this year. He had close to 500 yards receiving, more than our #1 Receiver this year!

Plus we had kids like TE Kevin Brock, who chipped in with a respectable 300 yards receiving and had a good stint in the NFL, catching on as a UDFA.

When you compare with what we have these days, you can appreciate the paucity of talent. Kevin Brock, our #4 receiver in 2008, was almost as productive as our #3 receiver in 2023.

When I look at our receiving results for 2023, what strikes me is how few the receiving yards and touchdowns we scored were. There were 10 receiving touchdowns total for the year, with the touchdown leader only having 3.

xF6FOkv.png

These days Ohio State is our baseline for what we need our passing attack to be to compete with the Big Tens best.

rS7QHs4.jpeg

We don’t have a Marvin Harrison on the roster yet, but incoming WR/Flex TE Korey Duff might one day grow into the role. He will probably spend the next year acclimating to Big Ten Football. If he can match Ian Strongs 230 yard production, I would sign up for that right now.

For now, it looks like incoming WR Dymere Miller, who is a Monmouth transfer, will likely be WR1. He had 1,295 yards receiving last year for Monmouth, playing the likes of Elon and Sacred Heart. But as we’ve seen with Jacque Jackson, not all that lower division productivity is likely to transfer.
Nevertheless, If he can be at least half as productive, with 650 receiving yards, it would be great. I would sign up for that right now. But Reaching the stretch goal of 1K receiving yards would be tremendous for us.

If Christian Dremel as the projected #2 receiver this year, can reach 600 yards receiving, a significant bump from his 463 receiving yards this year.

We need Ian Strong to roughly double his production, and become the #3 receiver. His goal is 400 yards.

The rest like Famah Toure, Dylan Braithwaite, Chris Long, Ofurie, Fuse, Ben Black, and others should be able to contribute something, but not sure what that is, yet. The passing yardage goal for 2024 should be 2.2K yards, up 20% from this year. Stretch goal Would be 2,500 passing yards.
The reason this statistical analysis is so incredibly pointless, is that quarterbacks and receivers work together. If a receiver gets 1000 yards receiving, that means a quarterback got 1000 yards passing. There is nothing in the statistics alone that can let you look at that thousand yards and say that was attributable to the talent of the quarterback, or that was attributable to the talent of the wide receiver.

The advanced metrics do a better job. But still tremendous room for interpretation.

Just use your eyes.

I think our WR room has been upgraded.

It’s a position that can only be as good as the rest of the offense around it.

I wonder if Schiano was serious when he said Taj Harris would be welcomed back if he took care of the issues he was having or if this was ever pursued.

He’s missed two seasons now, but some fans at Cuse are saying he should come back, and he tweeted Fran Brown congratulating him and saying he was the only one who believed in him.

He seems to want to complete his degree and I’m sure is a different person now. It was so strange that he went all the way through camp then quit after 1 game.

It’s hard to imagine RU wanting him back- but it’s sad to see someone with that much talent not getting a chance if he’s truly redeemed himself.

As far as I know, it wasn’t anything criminal.
Someone needs to tell him heat need to look at a Monmouth or anywhere he can to get his degree and move forward with his life. He’s still young and I’m sure could get in shape to compete if his attitude is in the right place.

I wonder if Schiano was serious when he said Taj Harris would be welcomed back if he took care of the issues he was having or if this was ever pursued.

He’s missed two seasons now, but some fans at Cuse are saying he should come back, and he tweeted Fran Brown congratulating him and saying he was the only one who believed in him.

He seems to want to complete his degree and I’m sure is a different person now. It was so strange that he went all the way through camp then quit after 1 game.

It’s hard to imagine RU wanting him back- but it’s sad to see someone with that much talent not getting a chance if he’s truly redeemed himself.

Someone needs to tell him heat need to look at a Monmouth or anywhere he can to get his degree and move forward with his life. He’s still young and I’m sure could get in shape to compete if his attitude is in the right place.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Cuse.

Looked up Minn offensive #s for 2019 which many have said was Kirk’s best offense passing wise that year which threw for 3,293yds (3,253 by Tanner Morgan). Minn had one wr catch for 1,318 yds and another catch for 1,219 yds and average 101yds and 93yds per game respectively and a RB who rushed for 1,163 yds.

What’s really interesting is that the offense wasn’t exactly balanced as it had 560 rush attempts (63%) and 323 pass attempts (37%). They had three wrs with long plays of 73, 66 and 70 yds.

I don’t see Kirk ever running a 50/50 type offense and will lean on the run game more so than the pass game even with a qb that has a 66 completion % like Tanner Morgan had for Minn in 2019.

GO RU

Last edited:
The reason this statistical analysis is so incredibly pointless, is that quarterbacks and receivers work together. If a receiver gets 1000 yards receiving, that means a quarterback got 1000 yards passing. There is nothing in the statistics alone that can let you look at that thousand yards and say that was attributable to the talent of the quarterback, or that was attributable to the talent of the wide receiver.

The advanced metrics do a better job. But still tremendous room for interpretation.

Just use your eyes.
The passing game is a team effort, no doubt.

We’ve got lots of threads on the quarterback, but never talked about the WRs. At least I didn’t see it.

This thread is about the wide receivers. If you want to talk about the quarterback, there are lots of others threads for you to choose from.

Reactions: thegock

We’ve got lots of threads on the quarterback, but never talked about the WRs. At least I didn’t see it.

This thread is about the wide receivers. If you want to talk about the quarterback, there are lots of others threads for you to choose from.

I’m saying your stats don’t say what you think they do about the WRs in particular.

I would say that the quality of our passing was significantly worse than the quality of our receivers. I'm not even saying our receivers were good. They were a little below average. But at the same time our receivers made quite a bit of nice looking catches including diving catches on balls that were off target. There were more times that receivers were open that Gavin just missed then drops or bad routes by our receivers.

Dremel is a slot guy and a very good one. He's not a #1 wide out. Doesn't have the size or catch radius but he runs great routes and knows how to get open. You're underrating him significantly.

The FCS all American transfer Miller has an amazing tape. He's clearly a #1 on this team. Kid has elite speed.

Idk what's going on with Brantley but if he's cleared to play and you have him, Dymere Miller and Dremel in the slot that's an above average to good receiving core. We just need a QB that can accurately get the ball to them.
This
Ridiculous to start a Post that claims the WR corps is weak.
Strong, Dremel, Brantley, transfer Miller, Chris Long, Duff, etc. are a solid WR group.
If the OP has an issue he should be upset with the person who is responsible for the recruiting.
So many are trying to mask our significant shortfalls of our starting Quarterback and looking for other excuses.

Last edited:
Until Brantley is cleared, it would be a waste of time to include him in any analysis. His availability is the big X factor going into next season. But his eligibility might have been used up, so not ready to count on him.

I would settle for Dremel and Miller being average next year. USC and Washington aren’t Sacred Heart and New Hampshire, but excited to see what Miller can do against those teams and the others.

Appreciate everything Dremel brings to the table, but he doesn’t bring the playmaking that a Tim Brown used to or a Xavier Restrepo does. These guys are what I would consider to be above average slots. That’s even considering that Dremel was flat out missed by Wimsatt a number of times, and that’s bad on Wimsatt.

Looking for incremental improvement, but hoping for more.
GW would be a competent QB if we had a Fieldhouse. Ain’t that right Al ?

Reactions: RUforlife
Brantley literally is out of eligibility. He played 5 straight games as a true freshman at Sacred Heart (games #3-7) and then missed the remaining 4 games with an injury. So not sure why he or the staff thought they had a case to challenge his eligibility. It's unlikely we will ever see him in uniform.
Not true. Brantley only played 4 games in 2018:

Reactions: sct1111
Not true. Brantley only played 4 games in 2018:
His Sacred Heart bio states he played in 5 games before an injury caused him to miss the last 4 games. He likely didn’t register any stats in the fifth game which is probably where he got hurt so it’s not shown by ESPN.

EDIT - to include links (2nd link is the 5th game where he recorded no stats but participated)

https://sacredheartpioneers.com/sports/football/roster/naseim-brantley/10394

https://sacredheartpioneers.com/sports/football/stats/2018/central-connecticut-state/boxscore/2048

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: thegock
That is Mr. Winsatt to you.
Never once, have I intentionally posted Winsatt. Though i could have made a mistake, I think you have me confused with someone else. Someone else was posting Winsatt it the last few days.

Never once, have I intentionally posted Winsatt. Though i could have made a mistake, I think you have me confused with someone else. Someone else was posting Winsatt it the last few days.
C'mon dude, you are better than that, if you are going to create these crazy threads you gotta own up to it, right?

I’m changing Gavin’s last name to WINsatt!!!!​

Because we are going to win lots this year!! Wish I could take credit. But that belongs to ddsmugs who made the suggestion on the premium board.

Reactions:ddsmugs, RUScrew85, vic_torre42 and 2 others

C'mon dude, you are better than that, if you are going to create these crazy threads you gotta own up to it, right?

I’m changing Gavin’s last name to WINsatt!!!!​

Because we are going to win lots this year!! Wish I could take credit. But that belongs to ddsmugs who made the suggestion on the premium board.

Reactions:ddsmugs, RUScrew85, vic_torre42 and 2 others

ok, I forgot about this one. lol Well we did win LOTs, 75% more games than most of the last 9 years.

Reactions: RUforlife
This
Ridiculous to start a Post that claims the WR corps is weak.
Strong, Dremel, Brantley, transfer Miller, Chris Long, Duff, etc. are a solid WR group.
If the OP has an issue he should be upset with the person who is responsible for the recruiting.
So many are trying to mask our significant shortfalls of our starting Quarterback and looking for other excuses.
of course, everyone has high hopes, but most of these kids haven't done anything yet.

Next year we will have Dremel, Brantley, Long, Strong, Toure, Ofurie, Fuse, Braithwaite and the 3 new recruits. If we don't have 3 good one out of this group then we are in trouble.

We need to get better at qb and wideout and te.

Wimsatt had 9 touchdown passes all year. Against 8 picks. He would have had 6 tds if Strong doesn't have a Sportscenter top play against Northwestern, Jacque doesn't rip the ball from Igbinosun of OSU, and Dremel doesn't outrun the Mich secondary for 80 yards.

He has to take a leap next year IMO. Leap. Or it will need to be the Minn xfer.
Ignorant

of course, everyone has high hopes, but most of these kids haven't done anything yet.
Seriously??
You have been praising Korey Duff for weeks now. And probably rightfully so.
Also we have a very dynamic WR from last year’s class from CT ( Clawges) on the roster. He had offers from Penn St., Iowa, Illinois, Pitt, etc.

Seriously??
You have been praising Korey Duff for weeks now. And probably rightfully so.
Also we have a very dynamic WR from last year’s class from CT ( Clawges) on the roster. He had offers from Penn St., Iowa, Illinois, Pitt, etc.
it took Kenny Britt till the Louisville game before he meaningfully impacted, which was in November. I expect the same for Duff and Ben Black. Hard for Freshman to impact, though we are hoping for Duff and Black to be exceptions.

Hard to say, we are very young, brought in the kid from Monmouth, we have a ton of young WR’s hopefully a few are developed and show up with the ability the coaches saw when they were recruited, if you have talented people you must develop them, no shortcuts here unless you are able to get a Kenny Britt or Timmy brown that come in with developed talent

That shipped sailed, with the way Harris spoke to Schiano during the Boston College game, because he wasn’t getting the ball enough, from what I could surmise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT