ADVERTISEMENT

Receiving Corp is very weak

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
We cannot fix our passing attack by solely focusing on the quarterbacks as the WR Corp and Tight End Corps are very weak in terms of talent. Receivers lack ball skills, the ability to make contested catches, speed, and tenacity. You look at someone like Miami’s Xavier Restrepo and he catches pretty much everything thrown to him, even when the throws are much less than perfect. Which is why he ended up with 99 yards receiving in the Pinstripe Bowl. We are missing similar talent in our WR Corp, and it shows in our receiving results.

Some are acting like changing the quarterback makes this a 2.5K to 3K passing attack. Hard to see that happening unless some of our receiving unknowns step up, and someone becomes a 1K yard receiver, which I frankly don’t see right now.

Let’s look at our receiving corps of the past, and what we need today, to move our passing attack forward.
In 2008, we had our best passing attack ever, and these were the final results.

r4qqT0h.jpg

As you can see, Kenny Britt absolutely killed it, putting up 1,371 receiving yards, and ultimately was drafted in the first round by the Tennessee Titans. He had a 93 yard TD play vs South Florida. And he had nearly triple our 2023 #1 receivers production. And was almost as productive as our Top 4 receivers from this year! This is the caliber of receiver we are missing.

Tim Brown was our very strong #2 receiver from the slot, and brought legit 4.3 - 4.4 speed to the table, and big play ability, with the playmaking skills to score from anywhere on the field. His longest play was 74 yards. He was better than any receiver that played this year.

Even our #3 receiver that year, Tiquan Underwood, got drafted, and was also better than any receiver that played this year. He had close to 500 yards receiving, more than our #1 Receiver this year!

Plus we had kids like TE Kevin Brock, who chipped in with a respectable 300 yards receiving and had a good stint in the NFL, catching on as a UDFA.

When you compare with what we have these days, you can appreciate the paucity of talent. Kevin Brock, our #4 receiver in 2008, was almost as productive as our #3 receiver in 2023.

When I look at our receiving results for 2023, what strikes me is how few the receiving yards and touchdowns we scored were. There were 10 receiving touchdowns total for the year, with the touchdown leader only having 3.

xF6FOkv.png

These days Ohio State is our baseline for what we need our passing attack to be to compete with the Big Tens best.

rS7QHs4.jpeg

We don’t have a Marvin Harrison on the roster yet, but incoming WR/Flex TE Korey Duff might one day grow into the role. He will probably spend the next year acclimating to Big Ten Football. If he can match Ian Strongs 230 yard production, I would sign up for that right now.

For now, it looks like incoming WR Dymere Miller, who is a Monmouth transfer, will likely be WR1. He had 1,295 yards receiving last year for Monmouth, playing the likes of Elon and Sacred Heart. But as we’ve seen with Jacque Jackson, not all that lower division productivity is likely to transfer.
Nevertheless, If he can be at least half as productive, with 650 receiving yards, it would be great. I would sign up for that right now. But Reaching the stretch goal of 1K receiving yards would be tremendous for us.

If Christian Dremel as the projected #2 receiver this year, can reach 600 yards receiving, a significant bump from his 463 receiving yards this year.

We need Ian Strong to roughly double his production, and become the #3 receiver. His goal is 400 yards.

The rest like Famah Toure, Dylan Braithwaite, Chris Long, Ofurie, Fuse, Ben Black, and others should be able to contribute something, but not sure what that is, yet. The passing yardage goal for 2024 should be 2.2K yards, up 20% from this year. Stretch goal Would be 2,500 passing yards.

I would say that the quality of our passing was significantly worse than the quality of our receivers. I'm not even saying our receivers were good. They were a little below average. But at the same time our receivers made quite a bit of nice looking catches including diving catches on balls that were off target. There were more times that receivers were open that Gavin just missed then drops or bad routes by our receivers.

Dremel is a slot guy and a very good one. He's not a #1 wide out. Doesn't have the size or catch radius but he runs great routes and knows how to get open. You're underrating him significantly.

The FCS all American transfer Miller has an amazing tape. He's clearly a #1 on this team. Kid has elite speed.

Idk what's going on with Brantley but if he's cleared to play and you have him, Dymere Miller and Dremel in the slot that's an above average to good receiving core. We just need a QB that can accurately get the ball to them.

I would say that the quality of our passing was significantly worse than the quality of our receivers. I'm not even saying our receivers were good. They were a little below average. But at the same time our receivers made quite a bit of nice looking catches including diving catches on balls that were off target. There were more times that receivers were open that Gavin just missed then drops or bad routes by our receivers.

Dremel is a slot guy and a very good one. He's not a #1 wide out. Doesn't have the size or catch radius but he runs great routes and knows how to get open. You're underrating him significantly.

The FCS all American transfer Miller has an amazing tape. He's clearly a #1 on this team. Kid has elite speed.

Idk what's going on with Brantley but if he's cleared to play and you have him, Dymere Miller and Dremel in the slot that's an above average to good receiving core. We just need a QB that can accurately get the ball to them.
Until Brantley is cleared, it would be a waste of time to include him in any analysis. His availability is the big X factor going into next season. But his eligibility might have been used up, so not ready to count on him.

I would settle for Dremel and Miller being average next year. USC and Washington aren’t Sacred Heart and New Hampshire, but excited to see what Miller can do against those teams and the others.

Appreciate everything Dremel brings to the table, but he doesn’t bring the playmaking that a Tim Brown used to or a Xavier Restrepo does. These guys are what I would consider to be above average slots. That’s even considering that Dremel was flat out missed by Wimsatt a number of times, and that’s bad on Wimsatt.

Looking for incremental improvement, but hoping for more.

WR group was known to be weak before the season. No good QB would come to RU based on WR talent.
Its practically a DIII group in many ways. Cant fight for catches, cant go long, cant win in RZ, cant consistently really run after a catch. Whole WR group had 7 TDs. Washington made the best catch long but had only one TD,.

"The Rutgers Scarlet Knights wide receiver group is a question mark heading into the 2023 football season. The team has a history of sending players to the NFL, but last season’s passing attack was one of the worst in the nation. Offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca and wide receivers coach Dave Brock are expected to make improvements. The Scarlet Knights have added some experienced players and talented newcomers to the roster, but the wide receiver room is still raw and inexperienced. It will be interesting to see how effective the offensive coaching staff can be in developing the receivers."

Until Brantley is cleared, it would be a waste of time to include him in any analysis. His availability is the big X factor going into next season. But his eligibility might have been used up, so not ready to count on him.

I would settle for Dremel and Miller being average next year. USC and Washington aren’t Sacred Heart and New Hampshire, but excited to see what Miller can do against those teams and the others.

Appreciate everything Dremel brings to the table, but he doesn’t bring the playmaking that a Tim Brown used to or a Xavier Restrepo does. These guys are what I would consider to be above average slots. That’s even considering that Dremel was flat out missed by Wimsatt a number of times, and that’s bad on Wimsatt.

Well yeah of course he's not running at 4.3. but I bet it's in the 4.5s and he gets open. You don't have to have elite speed to be a good slot receiver.

Dremel is good because he runs great routes, gets open and he's a reliable pass catcher. I don't buy him being poor YAC either. Did you see him drag the Miami defense 10-15 yards at the pinstripe bowl? It's amazing how much better a receiver is YAC when the QB hits you in stride.

Reactions: FastMJ
Miller makes the field bigger for the QB. Got to respect the deep ball since he can blow by with a double move.

Reactions: thegock
We need to get better at qb and wideout and te.

Wimsatt had 9 touchdown passes all year. Against 8 picks. He would have had 6 tds if Strong doesn't have a Sportscenter top play against Northwestern, Jacque doesn't rip the ball from Igbinosun of OSU, and Dremel doesn't outrun the Mich secondary for 80 yards.

He has to take a leap next year IMO. Leap. Or it will need to be the Minn xfer.

Reactions: thegock
Well yeah of course he's not running at 4.3. but I bet it's in the 4.5s and he gets open. You don't have to have elite speed to be a good slot receiver.

Dremel is good because he runs great routes, gets open and he's a reliable pass catcher. I don't buy him being poor YAC either. Did you see him drag the Miami defense 10-15 yards at the pinstripe bowl? It's amazing how much better a receiver is YAC when the QB hits you in stride.

Dremel has good hands going across the field where Wimsatt can A) see him and B) throw to him in the seam before he's covered tight. He's good on 3rd down. He cant go long or fight for passes. Lots of times he falls after a catch. His last TD was Wagner - Oct - Dec = 0 - RU offense is pretty easy to figure out due to limitations.

Falling down too much

Hl5xw97.gif

MGnV24i.gif

p87hGXW.gif

Appreciate everything Dremel brings to the table, but he doesn’t bring the playmaking that a Tim Brown used to or a Xavier Restrepo does. These guys are what I would consider to be above average slots. That’s even considering that Dremel was flat out missed by Winsatt a number of times, and that’s bad on Winsatt.

I fixed your post for you. No need to thank me.

Comparing these stats without context is futile. The recievers in the current sample played in a run heavy offense with a coach running the clock, even when losing. They also played with a qb who had accuracy troubles that wasnt goven much opportunity to pass because of them. It was year one of a new offensive system. All of this led to limited opportunity for the recievers They weren't going to ever be Kenny Britt but I don't think they were expected to be.

Pointing out their lack of opportunity as evidence of a lack of talent isn't entirely accurate. Could they have done more if the offense opened up more? Could they have done more with a different qb that could read defenses better? If nothing else, there would be some garbage stat padding against prevent defenses, right? Would that make them more talented? The stats themselves don't answer any of these questions very clearly

Last edited:
Dremel has good hands going across the field where Wimsatt can A) see him and B) throw to him in the seam before he's covered tight. He's good on 3rd down. He cant go long or fight for passes. Lots of times he falls after a catch. His last TD was Wagner - Oct - Dec = 0 - RU offense is pretty easy to figure out due to limitations.

Falling down too much

Hl5xw97.gif

MGnV24i.gif

p87hGXW.gif
Falling down? The last one is literally a diving catch!

Dremel is falling down because the passes are poorly thrown not because he's "prone to falling down".

I just don’t see the weak WR line an excuse at this point. It’s been years. Years. The offense at this point is designed to not make overt mistakes because IMO the QB position is so weak-that means fewer throws=less risk. The philosophy of the coaching staff sees the passing game closer to a curse than a boon-which is the opposite for todays game. In this age of throwing the ball and high scores this can only go so far. RU is at that cusp. The ball has to move through the air to win more. It’s actually quite amazing how well the run game worked with such a weak passing game.

There are several mid to high 3 stars coming in at WR for years and virtually none of them are panning out ? It’s either coaching or the QB play. I would like to see the All 22 film to confirm or disprove this.

I really see next year as trouble-similar to the move from the big east to the American. We will be playing against teams that move the ball. RU has to keep up.

Last edited:
The QB throws many balls so wildly they're literally almost in the stands. No WR can catch that. He misses easy short passes. It looks clearly like his bad throws, which are unfortunately very common, are far more often the problem.

Falling down? The last one is literally a diving catch!

Dremel is falling down because the passes are poorly thrown not because he's "prone to falling down".

When you're too small/slow you dive a lot.
Rutgers listed Christian Izien as 5' 10" but Tampa has him at 5' 8"
Most teams lie about their player sizes and no way do I think Drems is 5'9 185.
He looks like a HS freshman out on field and defenses flip him around like dandruff.
Good possession WR but he's not B1G level starter, and Bo Nix wouldn't make him one.
DIII is full of mighty-mites with good hands
I guarantee that GW can even see him 40 yds up the field with a 6'2" safety behind him.
RU has no consistent long-gain WR threat.
I don't mean to diminish players but the reality is WRs matter.
A lot of people think WR are just a pair of hands waiting for the perfect ball
The good ones all catch garbage

zMdOWwq.gif

byMIpsC.gif

Reactions: satnom
Ah, I understand the problem completely. We just need to get a first round draft pick at WR and that will solve all of our problems.
And a QB that would be in an NFL camp- 2 OTs that would play mult years in the NFl and a Center who played professional…a 2nd WR who got NFL time and a 3rd who was just dynamic…
08, also had a decent TE and 2 RB’s tgat we’re pretty decent too…
I think between you and I- we got it…lol

And a QB that would be in an NFL camp- 2 OTs that would play mult years in the NFl and a Center who played professional…a 2nd WR who got NFL time and a 3rd who was just dynamic…
08, also had a decent TE and 2 RB’s tgat we’re pretty decent too…

Oh, you and your pesky details, you!

Reactions: yesrutgers01
When you're too small/slow you dive a lot.
Rutgers listed Christian Izien as 5' 10" but Tampa has him at 5' 8"
Most teams lie about their player sizes and no way do I think Drems is 5'9 185.
He looks like a HS freshman out on field and defenses flip him around like dandruff.
Good possession WR but he's not B1G level starter, and Bo Nix wouldn't make him one.
DIII is full of mighty-mites with good hands
I guarantee that GW can even see him 40 yds up the field with a 6'2" safety behind him.
RU has no consistent long-gain WR threat.
I don't mean to diminish players but the reality is WRs matter.
A lot of people think WR are just a pair of hands waiting for the perfect ball
The good ones all catch garbage

zMdOWwq.gif

byMIpsC.gif
Where are the gifs of him burning the UM secondary for an 80 yard TD and him carrying the Miami defense 10-15 yards in the Pinstripe Bowl?

I was hoping to see the WRs step up this year but to say there are weak is disingenuous. Maybe if they had a QB with any accuracy they would look better. A QB can make average WRs great. They never had a chance here. And I am a fan of Gavin.

Reactions: Big East Beast
We cannot fix our passing attack by solely focusing on the quarterbacks as the WR Corp and Tight End Corps are very weak in terms of talent. Receivers lack ball skills, the ability to make contested catches, speed, and tenacity. You look at someone like Miami’s Xavier Restrepo and he catches pretty much everything thrown to him, even when the throws are much less than perfect. Which is why he ended up with 99 yards receiving in the Pinstripe Bowl. We are missing similar talent in our WR Corp, and it shows in our receiving results.

Some are acting like changing the quarterback makes this a 2.5K to 3K passing attack. Hard to see that happening unless some of our receiving unknowns step up, and someone becomes a 1K yard receiver, which I frankly don’t see right now.

Let’s look at our receiving corps of the past, and what we need today, to move our passing attack forward.

r4qqT0h.jpg

As you can see, Kenny Britt absolutely killed it, putting up 1,371 receiving yards, and ultimately was drafted in the first round by the Tennessee Titans. He had a 93 yard TD play vs South Florida. And he had nearly triple our 2023 #1 receivers production. And was almost as productive as our Top 4 receivers from this year! This is the caliber of receiver we are missing.

Tim Brown was our very strong #2 receiver from the slot, and brought legit 4.3 - 4.4 speed to the table, and big play ability, with the playmaking skills to score from anywhere on the field. His longest play was 74 yards. He was better than any receiver that played this year.

Even our #3 receiver that year, Tiquan Underwood, got drafted, and was also better than any receiver that played this year. He had close to 500 yards receiving, more than our #1 Receiver this year!

Plus we had kids like TE Kevin Brock, who chipped in with a respectable 300 yards receiving and had a good stint in the NFL, catching on as a UDFA.

When you compare with what we have these days, you can appreciate the paucity of talent. Kevin Brock, our #4 receiver in 2008, was almost as productive as our #3 receiver in 2023.

When I look at our receiving results for 2023, what strikes me is how few the receiving yards and touchdowns we scored were. There were 10 receiving touchdowns total for the year, with the touchdown leader only having 3.

xF6FOkv.png

These days Ohio State is our baseline for what we need our passing attack to be to compete with the Big Tens best.

rS7QHs4.jpeg

We don’t have a Marvin Harrison on the roster yet, but incoming WR/Flex TE Korey Duff might one day grow into the role. He will probably spend the next year acclimating to Big Ten Football. If he can match Ian Strongs 230 yard production, I would sign up for that right now.

For now, it looks like incoming WR Dymere Miller, who is a Monmouth transfer, will likely be WR1. He had 1,295 yards receiving last year for Monmouth, playing the likes of Elon and Sacred Heart. But as we’ve seen with Jacque Jackson, not all that lower division productivity is likely to transfer.
Nevertheless, If he can be at least half as productive, with 650 receiving yards, it would be great. I would sign up for that right now. But Reaching the stretch goal of 1K receiving yards would be tremendous for us.

If Christian Dremel as the projected #2 receiver this year, can reach 600 yards receiving, a significant bump from his 463 receiving yards this year.

We need Ian Strong to roughly double his production, and become the #3 receiver. His goal is 400 yards.

The rest like Famah Toure, Dylan Braithwaite, Chris Long, Ofurie, Fuse, Ben Black, and others should be able to contribute something, but not sure what that is, yet. The passing yardage goal for 2024 should be 2.2K yards, up 20% from this year. Stretch goal Would be 2,500 passing yards.
The problem isn't the receivers. It's the people throwing them the ball and designing the offense.

Where are the gifs of him burning the UM secondary for an 80 yard TD and him carrying the Miami defense 10-15 yards in the Pinstripe Bowl?

He has good hands and can make a play in the seams/flats with nobody right on him. Start 11-12 games and you will see a nice play now and then. He didn't "carry" Miami defense - that was a rugby maul. Miami defender spun him around and was ready to plant him until the RU rugby posse arrived and pushed the pile. Rutgers is getting good at the rugby stuff (and of course people complain about it).

sscclEr.gif

VJpt2TO.gif

But - he made a great block on Mongo TD

X4QNy58.gif

Speaking of Miami - Restropo knows how to snag dizzy balls - RU needs this.

x3sFm2y.gif

Reactions: rutgersal
He has good hands and can make a play in the seams/flats with nobody right on him. Start 11-12 games and you will see a nice play now and then. He didn't "carry" Miami defense - that was a rugby maul. Miami defender spun him around and was ready to plant him until the RU rugby posse arrived and pushed the pile. Rutgers is getting good at the rugby stuff (and of course people complain about it).

sscclEr.gif

VJpt2TO.gif

But - he made a great block on Mongo TD

X4QNy58.gif

Speaking of Miami - Restropo knows how to snag dizzy balls - RU needs this.

x3sFm2y.gif
According to your logic Restropo "fell" on that one.

• Haha
Reactions: RUShea
Lots of respect for Dremel. Dude has battled as a walk on to earn a schollie and become RU’s most productive wr in 2023 season. A feat that was put into the universe by our main mod, Richie, in the pre-season to which I replied if “Dremel is RU l’s top wr we are in serious trouble.” Dremel is a legit D1 wr but a big reason why RU’s receiving corp is in the bottom tier of receivers in the BIG is because we needed to rely on a short armed 5’8” target as our top target who has speed but not a blazer (I.e. Tim Brown). Dremel is a slot wr who should NOT be the focus of the pass game. RU should not be throwing fades to Dremel. Really like him as a #2 or #3 where the defense will sleep on him as he catches the ball to get a key first down or fly by a defender for a big gain and is quick. He cannot be the focus of RU pass game in order to get bigger pass production regardless of who the qb is. He’s never going to be double teamed, gets lost in the trees and has difficult time outmuscling or out jumping a defender.

If RU has a true #1 that will make Dremel even more impactful and for goodness sake let’s develop a true TE threat over the middle. Complete a trade with any of the BIG Schools that have 2-3 6’5-6’6 TE on their rosters that can move in space and make catches over lbers and Dbs. Heck Iowa has like four of them.

GO RU

I wouldn't doubt if Dremel isn't faster than we think. On that Michigan play he put a move on and then outran Stensiril and others from Michigan, a player who some services rate as the 150th best player in the draft.

Its Corps not Corp. Or perhaps Corpse the way you described it.

r4qqT0h.jpg

xF6FOkv.png

rS7QHs4.jpeg

We don’t have a Marvin Harrison on the roster yet, but incoming WR/Flex TE Korey Duff

For now, it looks like incoming WR Dymere Miller, who is a Monmouth transfer, will likely be WR1. He had 1,295 yards receiving last year for Monmouth, playing the likes of Elon and Sacred Heart. But as we’ve seen with Jacque Jackson, not all that lower division productivity is likely to transfer
Your comparison between the two is like Apples to Oranges. Jacque Jackson played for Div 2 Calif. Pa. he was a Div. 2 Honorable mention All American. Dymere Miller played for an FCS school and was a consensus 1st team All American. He led all of FCS in yardage/ 2nd in catches and was a finalist for the Walter Payton most outstanding FCS player.

r4qqT0h.jpg

xF6FOkv.png

rS7QHs4.jpeg

Lower division productivity certainly won't translate if the ball isn't thrown anywhere near them, or if the passing game is unsophisticated and generally predictable.

Reactions: Section124
If RU has a true #1 that will make Dremel even more impactful and for goodness sake let’s develop a true TE threat over the middle. Complete a trade with any of the BIG Schools that have 2-3 6’5-6’6 TE on their rosters that can move in space and make catches over lbers and Dbs. Heck Iowa has like four of them.

GO RU

Ideally RU wants two solid WRs so defenses cant key just one.
Its like having one great DE with no help and the offenses just block the crap out of the good player.
With Cruickshank and Melton, RU gave defenses problems.
Once Cruickshank got hurt the passing TDs vanished

oPpIU8A.jpg

Moral of the story, we should never upgrade any position unless every other position is at Ohio States levels. Thanks Al
If Ohio State's QB was as inaccurate as RU's was, and their passing game was as unsophisticated as RU's, their receivers would look bad, too.

Reactions: FastMJ
If Ohio State's QB was as inaccurate as RU's was, and their passing game was as unsophisticated as RU's, their receivers would look bad, too.
You should probably look at Al’s post before commenting

Ohio St is an interesting case.
When Ohio was dominant the past years, they would always have a speedster going long
That would really stretch the field
The fast guys could often get underneath any over-thrown balls.
Over-thrown balls are safer than under-thrown.

A thing about GW is that he tips taller and his arms are realllly long
Long armed QBs are known to have accuracy issues.
With arms like catapults and a wide base, he's probably better at longer passes than the dinks.
His HS highlights show mostly long throws.

GW set the record for most yards in a season by an RU QB.
If he gets good downfield WRs he can probably hit them better AND when the field is stretched he can scoot.
Gavin is a turf monster the way Underwood was - just eats big chunks of turf.
A great, fast-twitch, 100m runner wont be good at a 1000m and vice versa.
GW isn't a cramped-up thrower

Get GW a fast, downfield WR with hands and things might be interesting.
Right now RU passing is like Eli when he couldn't throw long and was stuck tossing slants to Beckham.
Speaking of Eli - he was awful in first seasons - 48.2 accuracy in 2004 and 52.8 in 2005.
He was often horrible with shorts passes and screens were never things of beauty,

All ARMS
FnQBUyz.jpg

RG3 on long-arm passers

"To Griffin, the accuracy issues are born out of Wentz's physical profile as a long-armed, 6'5 quarterback.

"My coach used to call him a 'space-thrower,'" Griffin said. "It means he's a wide-base guy, so he needs a lot of space to make throws. He's a long-limbed guy, so if [a defense] gets a lot of push up the middle, it's gonna make him sail the ball because he's not gonna get all his momentum through the throws."

Reactions: rutgersal

Brantley literally is out of eligibility. He played 5 straight games as a true freshman at Sacred Heart (games #3-7) and then missed the remaining 4 games with an injury. So not sure why he or the staff thought they had a case to challenge his eligibility. It's unlikely we will ever see him in uniform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT