ADVERTISEMENT

Boom New HWT coming to the Banks

Significant addition. Wrestlestat says 3 years of eligibility left. McDermott and Espo can battle it out for the starting role with Colucci and Estevez having redshirt options. Hopefully Lightner can keep weight at 197 for some needed depth at that class.

Reactions: MS-RU
Yea, the ICCC site says he was a red shirt freshman this past season so he has 3 years left to wrestle 3

Reactions: Loyal-Son
It appears he had two D1 wins this past season as well, he beat Spencer Trenary (21-9) and Bowen McConville (18-6) from South Dakota State (Big 12) both by fall at the Buena Vista Open

Looks like a big athletic kid, lots of potential. I’d be curious how much he weighs right now. Hopefully he can put on another good 10 lbs and be a good one for us.

Seems like he turned down some D1 opportunities, most notably at ISU and Wyoming, out of HS to go to ICCC to get his grades up. He must have had his eyes set on something bigger, so this could be a huge pickup for us. Kudos for the coaching staff for getting it done.

"Break out senior star, Boone McDermott has decided to stay in-state to wrestle for Iowa Central Community College. Boone McDermott was this years class 2A state champion at 220 pounds and ended the year ranked tenth in the country by FloWrestling."

McDermott placed third as a Junior at 182lbs and bumped up to 220 for his senior campaign. The move turned out to be the great decision by not only winning the state title over defending champion Jordan Baumler of North Fayette but during the see he knocked off nationally ranked Francis Duggan (#6) twice.

McDermott chose the Tritons over Iowa State, Grand View and Wyoming with plans to wrestle 285 pounds at a Division I school in the future.

https://iawrestle.com/2018/06/11/iowa-central-lands-state-champion-boone-mcdermott/

Last edited:
I think it was a riding time point

Ah, you are probably right. I was half paying attention to the match while doing some work so didn't even notice he rode him long enough.

Wow! This is awesome news! I'm impressed with not only his record but how dominant he was in HS and Juco. 21 pins in 37 contests at any level is phenomenal. Excited to watch his career at RU!

Reactions: Loyal-Son and rondi
I just watched all of his JUCO national tourney matches on Flo. He is very athletic and has no bad weight on him. What was most impressive to me was his offense. He had a varied series of moves and he was able to adjust on the fly.

He caught a lot of his opponents with throws and upper-body moves. When he had his opponents in danger, he went for the pin and did not let them work out of it.

When he wrestled someone who blocked his upper body moves, he immediately switched up to lower body moves and attacked in a variety of ways. He had a leg sweep, a throw-by, etc. in his arsenal.

In other words, this kid is not a dancing bear out there. He is an attacker and a finisher. What a pickup for the team.

This is the first Iowa native to wrestle for RU. I can't begin to comprehend how enormous that is for the program.

why is it big that he’s from Iowa? Iowa hs wrestling isn’t on the same level as jersey and pennsy.

Not sure the numbers, but Rutgers grabbing wrestlers from California, Ohio and now Iowa is good news. Was not too long ago we could count on 10 wrestlers starting from NJ every match with 10 backups from NJ

agree it’s good to have a diversified roster. I’d like to see us keep pulling kids from pa, Ohio and Cali, great talent areas.

So happy. I brought up Boone several months ago as a potential target, in light of the Hamilton football scenario, and all along, Goodale was working his magic. Now try to cinch up Schuon too. I have a feeling that Hamilton will be too much of a stud on the gridiron and too important for Schiano's plans for him to continue the dual - sport route. At least now we have an option for next three years. Is Schuon still a realistic option now?

Reactions: dollarbill
So happy. I brought up Boone several months ago as a potential target, in light of the Hamilton football scenario, and all along, Goodale was working his magic. Now try to cinch up Schuon too. I have a feeling that Hamilton will be too much of a stud on the gridiron and too important for Schiano's plans for him to continue the dual - sport route. At least now we have an option for next three years. Is Schuon still a realistic option now?
Agree. Also, asking a student athlete to grind out a B1G football season then follow with a B1G wrestling season along with academics sounds like a tough chore. Besides, Schiano has put plenty of football players in the NFL. This could all work out well for Kyonte and the RU fans in so many ways. Stay tuned. $$$$

Reactions: bigmatt718
This came across my Twitter feed today, although the article is from last week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT