ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling BOOM -- Rutgers Wrestling lands commitment!

Wonder who will give him more.
Was thinking the same thing.. w/ all due respect but how much is a non ranked recruit expecting going into the b10?

Nice article by flow breaking down this year’s AA by where they were ranked in hs going into college.. 87.5% of this year’s AA were ranked in top 100 class big board.

Average Big Board position of champs: 8.5 (lowest was Nino Bonaccorsi at #30)

Average Big Board position of finalists: 22.5

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Henrich decommit=$
So it's a business decision based on finances...got it. I wonder if Uncle Vinny was pissed due to dollar signs or Rutgers pursuing (and finally knowing they would get) Harer. The timing seems to indicate the latter.

Michigan is throwing around unreal money to transfers like Griffith, cannon and Yara so we are not in their league financially to offer competitive cash. We will try to do other things. It is getting insane for portal people
I guess Michigan and the other big boys will just load up on transfers every year.

Michigan is throwing around unreal money to transfers like Griffith, cannon and Yara so we are not in their league financially to offer competitive cash. We will try to do other things. It is getting insane for portal people
Understand Yara but other 2 have very strong wrestlers at those weights already Ragusin and Amine. Doesnt make much sense.

All I can say is the Michigan offer to Griffith is more than our boy Nick Suriano got. So if we want Goodale to get transfer portal stars we need to show him the money to compete!
Isn't that part of Goodale's job? Helping to solicit and secure donations? I know it's part of Schiano's and Pike's.

All I know we are not competitive NIL wise and that is headed by someone other than Goodale and Shane would like to be here!

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
All I know we are not competitive NIL wise and that is headed by someone other than Goodale and Shane would like to be here!
Every time we have these go-after, get-him, got to recruit better discussions, I ask how and haven't gotten an answer yet. If it's money, figure out what the others have done. NJ is a wealthy state despite the high taxes and wasteful spending. Go to Hobbs and above and ask them what they want for Rutgers wrestling and what they are going or willing to do to make it happen - then *let us know* what they say. Meanwhile, get the coaches needed to attract kids. Improve the weather.
* Letting us know what university leadership is willing and not willing to do will help hold their feet to the fire. No obligatory statements or political talk-around!

We can't keep pointing to the same excuses and doing the same things over and over again while lamenting the missed chances. Recruits: Don't go to those schools offering money, come to Rutgers for... eh, someone else fill in the blank.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
The nil shit is ruining college sports.
NIL is ruining college sports? The majority of fans from Rutgers and around ( though cautious) were I think in favor of having these athletes make $$$) I mean we are in the B1G right? So we either step up more, get others to support these players or just accept the fact that there will be two main groups those HAVES and HAVE NOTS. The more things change the more things will continue to stay status quo.

NIL is ruining college sports? The majority of fans from Rutgers and around ( though cautious) were I think in favor of having these athletes make $$$) I mean we are in the B1G right? So we either step up more, get others to support these players or just accept the fact that there will be two main groups those HAVES and HAVE NOTS. The more things change the more things will continue to stay status quo.
I was never in favor of nil.

Going from one extreme to the other is the problem. We went from going after schools with fines for buying a kid a bottle of water to this.

All I can say is the Michigan offer to Griffith is more than our boy Nick Suriano got. So if we want Goodale to get transfer portal stars we need to show him the money to compete!
If someone wants to give an athlete a lot of money to transfer for a year or two, good for them. If you are really rich and want watch a particular college wrestler for a year or two, it is your money so enjoy it.

If I had a lot of money to support Rutgers wrestling, I would rather endow wrestling scholarships and other things that have a long term impact.

NIL money is a short-term fix and requires large annual contributions to get future transfers. NIL contributions are not a long term solution to the wrestling program's decline (9th to 34th). The program needs a workable strategy to turn around our decline since 2019. I believe NIL is the current excuse.

How about we do more home work on the kids we recruit and avoid taking high school stars with know problems who require a lot of babysitting and off the mat attention.

And if true then you were one of maybe
20 RU fans against it.The nay votes for NIL were far and in between . I would bet it was along a generational line in favor or not.
The ncaa dropped the ball on the whole nil thing. They could have instituted it with some sort of guidelines. Not it’s just the Wild West.

NIL was designed to allow players to make money off their name but as predicted, big schools have found loopholes to funnel the money directly to the athletes for pretty much committing. Combined with the transfer rules, it’s turned the division into massive free agency. Ultimately it’s good for the kids but it’s going to end up being great for the big schools. Schools with prestigious athletic programs basically print NIL money.

NIL was designed to allow players to make money off their name but as predicted, big schools have found loopholes to funnel the money directly to the athletes for pretty much committing. Combined with the transfer rules, it’s turned the division into massive free agency. Ultimately it’s good for the kids but it’s going to end up being great for the big schools. Schools with prestigious athletic programs basically print NIL money.
Originally I liked giving more power n getting the kids paid but this is getting a little out of hand.. if they wanna turn college wrestling into professional free agency there should at least be a salary cap and a luxury tax if said team goes over it like real professional sports lol..

If it becomes all bout money n riches what will motivate staff from the smaller schools when anytime they can develop wrestlers any of them can be sniped off to bigger school..

The ncaa dropped the ball on the whole nil thing. They could have instituted it with some sort of guidelines. Not it’s just the Wild West.
I guess you were in favor of the stealthy bagmen that other schools were using, especially in Mens BB...?

I guess you were in favor of the stealthy bagmen that other schools were using, especially in Mens BB...?
Or even better. The NCAA and Financial institutions raking in hundreds of millions of dollars off of the student athletes name and likeness while that same student athlete can’t make $5 off of their own autograph

Reactions: RUpop
Being in favor or against it at the time it was announced is irrelevant. Most people on both sides of the argument would agree it has not been used as originally intended.

Reactions: mikemessner
Sure the NCAA coulda and shoulda but they didn’t. Most on this board weighed in on the issue and at the end of the day were totally acceptive since the school claimed being ALL in but fully funded or have I been misinformed about Rutgers NIL.

Sure the NCAA coulda and shoulda but they didn’t. Most on this board weighed in on the issue and at the end of the day were totally acceptive since the school claimed being ALL in but fully funded or have I been misinformed about Rutgers NIL.
In the end, we still vote with our wallets. I'll stick with the RU Fund and the SKWC. To each his own. $$$$

Or even better. The NCAA and Financial institutions raking in hundreds of millions of dollars off of the student athletes name and likeness while that same student athlete can’t make $5 off of their own autograph
It's a business. And trust me, I don't like the business model because it's the fans who get screwed and end up paying more. But what's next? High schoolers getting a rake of the gate proceeds at the football field? If you work at a profitable company, do you go to the administration asking for a bigger slice of the pie if the profits increase year after year because you made them money?

Congress if looking into NIL. They believe it’s out control.
Typical of them. Rush and make a decision without any regulations or forethought as to what it can become. Then go back and spend more time trying to fix the problems which were pretty much clearly forecasted.

Guess we didnt get Campbell. Commitment to VT
That is a big loss. He finished 3rd at Ironman and will go for his 4th state title next year. I wonder if the VT coaches had an impact. Cody Brewer, their light weight coach, was a four time All American and national champ at 133. Brewer coached Sebastian Rivera when he was on the Northwestern coaching staff. We need a higher profile light weigh coach. Hope Rivera joins our coaching staff,

That is a big loss. He finished 3rd at Ironman and will go for his 4th state title next year. I wonder if the VT coaches had an impact. Cody Brewer, their light weight coach, was a four time All American and national champ at 133. Brewer coached Sebastian Rivera when he was on the Northwestern coaching staff. We need a higher profile light weigh coach. Hope Rivera joins our coaching staff,
Rivera spoke very highly of Brewer during his time at Northwestern. Made a big impact on him and the team when he was there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT