ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Johnson on The Scarlet Spotlight AVAILABLE NOW

rutgersfandan

Freshman
Mar 20, 2004
Good morning all,

Longtime Voice of Rutgers Athletics & WCTC news director Bruce Johnson joins The Scarlet Spotlight for Episode 33 next Tuesday (July 2). Bruce discusses his career and memories of his time with Rutgers football, men's and women's basketball.

These are his first comments "on-air" that we know of, since he was removed from the RU booth in June 2008.

As always, it will be available on all podcast services and at TheScarletSpotlight.com.

LIVE LINK: https://www.thescarletspotlight.com/podcast/2019/7/2/episode-33-bruce-johnson.

Last edited:
I saw Bruce Johnson at Applebee's several weeks ago in Milltown with his family. Told him I was a big RU fan and always enjoyed his broadcasts. He was gracious. I felt uncomfortable bothering him when he was eating however but I had to say hi

Reactions: rutgersfandan
@e5fdny The interview is already complete! Didn't get that one in, but plenty of other good stuff for when the episode drops on Tuesday.

You should consider giving fans a heads up on the upcoming guest so people can suggest questions/topics.

Might be beneficial to the listeners (and you/Jon!)

He's too classy to mention who the real weasel was who made sure they got rid of him

If anyone wants to suggest a guest or send us questions you can email us at thescarletspotlight@gmail.com

We usually tease our next guest (when possible) at the end of the previous episode so in those cases there is plenty of time to email us questions.

You can also tweet us at @scarletspotru

Of course we’re not the official TKR podcast so we hope it’s ok with @Richard Schnyderite for us to encourage this. :)

If anyone wants to suggest a guest or send us questions you can email us at thescarletspotlight@gmail.com

We usually tease our next guest (when possible) at the end of the previous episode so in those cases there is plenty of time to email us questions.

You can also tweet us at @scarletspotru

Of course we’re not the official TKR podcast so we hope it’s ok with @Richard Schnyderite for us to encourage this. :)
You might not be the official one but you’re the best one.

And as stated earlier (even if you do hint ahead of time), would be nice to let us throw a few questions prior to the taping.

Reactions: RUonBrain and RUJON
You might not be the official one but you’re the best one.

And as stated earlier (even if you do hint ahead of time), would be nice to let us throw a few questions prior to the taping.

Agree

Would be easier (for us) to just post the questions in a thread vs emailing.
Plus others could get ideas of what has already been suggested, and think of other topics/questions.

Having listened to most of their podcasts, I don’t think they need anyone’s help with questions.

Thanks all! We certainly appreciate both compliments and feedback. As Jon mentioned, there are tons of places to reach us (FB, Twitter, email, etc.)... but we'll make a concerted effort to get some crowd-sourced ideas here for certain future guests.

Of course, depending on our intended line of questioning, not every suggestion will be implemented, but I agree that this could be beneficial to hosts & listeners alike.

After just 16 months and 32 episodes, I'm beyond pleased by the response from Rutgers fans!

Reactions: RUonBrain
Very good interview. Wish Bruce talked about my 2nd favorite game at the RAC. The Vegas game in 1991, great atmosphere that day.

Last edited:
We could have gone an hour with him. Perhaps a Part 2 one day...

Here here.

Good interview, but when it ended, I said, “Is that it?”

Wanted to here more stories from Bruce.
And just wanted to hear him talk more.

Love his voice. Felt like old times.
Definitely learned some things.
-Liked the story of how he got his start
-intersecting how he got relieved of football announcing.
(Why the heck would Schiano think the announcer for Miami who lives in Miami would want to announce RU games?
That sound ludicrous.)

If fans could suggest questions ahead of time, maybe the interview could have gone longer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT