ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Johnson on The Scarlet Spotlight AVAILABLE NOW

Thought it was very interesting how Bruce felt neither women’s coach was very friendly in terms of helping him do his job.

Actually, kind of disappointing to hear. You don’t build fan support that way.

Reactions: shields
@RUonBrain We like to keep our interviews to around 30 minutes for both flow and technical reasons. Totally understand why you'd want more! Hopefully we can have Bruce on again next year.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Great interview! It was interesting to hear how and where he got some of his key phrases....he's a class act and I enjoyed listening to him as much as I could when I couldn't make it to a game. And even more once I left New Jersey and was able to get the games on their website.

Reactions: rutgersfandan
Good morning all,

Longtime Voice of Rutgers Athletics & WCTC news director Bruce Johnson joins The Scarlet Spotlight for Episode 33 next Tuesday (July 2). Bruce discusses his career and memories of his time with Rutgers football, men's and women's basketball.

These are his first comments "on-air" that we know of, since he was removed from the RU booth in June 2008.

As always, it will be available on all podcast services and at TheScarletSpotlight.com.

LIVE LINK: https://www.thescarletspotlight.com/podcast/2019/7/2/episode-33-bruce-johnson.
Nice job once again

@RUonBrain We like to keep our interviews to around 30 minutes for both flow and technical reasons. Totally understand why you'd want more! Hopefully we can have Bruce on again next year.

Thanks, Danny

We need the Bruce Johnson podcast!!
Just to hear his silvery tones!

Looking forward to the next podcast (whoever the guest is!). Any hints?

This was a very good spot. Bruce was very candid about how he got dropped as football play-by-play guy by Schiano, and then dropped for hoops several years later because RU wanted a single "voice" for football and mens hoops.

Also pretty candid about Grentz and CViv not being very nice/accommodating to him. You would think that coaches of women's sports -- which traditionally didn't get much if any media attention -- would be more receptive to... the media.

Interesting about the origins of "Bingo!" being that he stole it from another announcer, and it was for a guy NAMED Bingo. I would like to have heard the origins of some of the other catchphrases.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Two divas whose success made them intolerable
This was a very good spot. Bruce was very candid about how he got dropped as football play-by-play guy by Schiano, and then dropped for hoops several years later because RU wanted a single "voice" for football and mens hoops.

Also pretty candid about Grentz and CViv not being very nice/accommodating to him. You would think that coaches of women's sports -- which traditionally didn't get much if any media attention -- would be more receptive to... the media.

Interesting about the origins of "Bingo!" being that he stole it from another announcer, and it was for a guy NAMED Bingo. I would like to have heard the origins of some of the other catchphrases.
First time I’m hearing that about Grentz...interesting indeed.

I have said many times on here I thought Tom McCarthy was the best play by play guy for Football I’ve heard. But thought Bruce was MUCH better than Chris Carlin for Basketball.

The “single voice” idea IMO is stupid. Even back then we were big enough to have a different sound for both sports.

And we all know what catchphrase I (and I assume a few others) wanted to hear about.

Thanks, Danny

We need the Bruce Johnson podcast!!
Just to hear his silvery tones!

Looking forward to the next podcast (whoever the guest is!). Any hints?

Thanks! Still working on the roadmap for the rest of 2019, but we'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks! Still working on the roadmap for the rest of 2019, but we'll keep everyone posted.
Dick Lloyd would be great guest but half hour wouldn’t be enough. Without question no one knows more about the history of Rutgers basketball than him. If there’s a story to be told on any topic, he’d know it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT