ADVERTISEMENT

Bus Trip for Possible Pinstripe Bowl Invite - Thursday, Dec. 28th 2:15PM

new jersey1

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2005
If you might be interested in traveling to Yankee Stadium via bus if RU is invited to the Pinstripe Bowl, please contact Mike Mahony at 732-692-0530 or mhmahony325@gmail.com.
You would purchase your own game tickets. The price of the bus trip would be $60 per person.
Mike has been running these bus trips for 20+ years. During the 2022 football season, overnight trips were made to Boston College and Maryland and this year a bus is headed to Penn State for our upcoming game. Mike previously ran several buses for our Pinstripe Bowl games against Iowa State and Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinstripe111323
Will stuff be included. Beer/Snacks etc.
I would think snacks and drinks would be included as his trips typically do, but the best thing would be to contact him for more details. Assuming there is interest, there would be a detailed itinerary if and when an invite is accepted. Thanks.

Last edited:
No interest.

Zero interest. Besides Rutgers is going to win two more games and avoid playing in a baseball stadium. The bigger problem is getting the few good seats at Yankees Stadium not a bus ride.

Only two? Stop being so pessimistic!

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I'm guessing this is geared towards students no need for the 30 year old guys to put down the gesture...and it's NYC, if you live near the campus you may be better off on the bus..

Reactions: new jersey1
And also..I love how we're boycotting a bowl considering we haven't legitmately made one in 10 years. C'mon people. I didn't realize we have such uppity fans.
It's really an alternate reality around here at times. Nationally, the idea of Rutgers trying to pick and choose a bowl destination is beyond laughable. We 1) haven't earned our way into a bowl in 9 years and 2) our home attendance this year (actual, not "announced") has been pathetic and therefore makes us an unattractive pick for higher-tier bowls. So the Pinstripe makes perfect sense for Rutgers, ESPECIALLY in 2023. That's why it's 95% going to happen. I personally believe it's 100% but you never know for sure.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is geared towards students no need for the 30 year old guys to put down the gesture...and it's NYC, if you live near the campus you may be better off on the bus..
Certainly more relaxing for those in South or Central NJ who’d prefer to be driven rather than dealing with traffic to and from Yankee Stadium… or taking multiple trains.
Not specifically geared for students although they are certainly welcome. Mike does a great job organizing these bus trips. If it is the Pinstripe, there will be a minimum of one bus running and likely multiple buses.
Based on last night’s TD Club meeting, they may also run a bus(es).

Reactions: Pinstripe111323
It's really an alternate reality around here at times. Nationally, the idea of Rutgers trying to pick and choose a bowl destination is beyond laughable. We 1) haven't earned our way into a bowl in 9 years and 2) our home attendance this year (actual, not "announced") has been pathetic and therefore makes us an unattractive pick for higher-tier bowls. So the Pinstripe makes perfect sense for Rutgers, ESPECIALLY in 2023. That's why it's 95% going to happen. I personally believe it's 100% but you never know for sure.
I liked you better when you were TSporanoRU.

Officially and based on selection order, Pinstripe is a higher tier bowl than some of the others that we would prefer (guaranteed rate bowl for example). So this makes no sense.

I dont think this is student oriented.

This bus may be great for someone from CNJ who isnt interested in doing any pre / post game activities. But I expect that many / most would do either pregame bar or postgame dinner, or both, in Manhattan.

Take the train!!! And also..I love how we're boycotting a bowl considering we haven't legitmately made one in 10 years. C'mon people. I didn't realize we have such uppity fans.
This
What we did the last few trips to RU Football in the da Bronx.
Drive to Staten Island.. take Ferry over to Wall St. and then the 4 train up-to Yankee Stadium.

I was thinking of filling a school bus with illegals, driving to the Bronx and leaving it in the parking lot. Let me know if you're in.
Before my reply to this I must say there are probably more than a few RU Fans that like the idea of a Pinstripe bus trip.

now my reply to angmo
Glad you're making sure illegal Rutgers fans get to go the Pinstripe.
Will you be driving this to the game filled with RU illegals
nwk.jpg

by the way, the lot you want is located at 990 Gerard Ave in the Bronx,

Reactions: angmo
Officially and based on selection order, Pinstripe is a higher tier bowl than some of the others that we would prefer (guaranteed rate bowl for example).
Who is "we?" I don't want the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. Rutgers already had a bowl game in Phoenix and there was a LOT more excitement around the program in 2005 than there is right now. If we're going to have a repeat bowl anyway, this is the perfect time for the Pinstripe Bowl since that's where Rutgers can bring the best crowd (by far). No point in arguing about this anyway since RU became a virtual lock for Yankee Stadium as soon as the Indiana game ended. See you in the Bronx.

Ehhhh....students will take the train. These type of trips are usually "geared" toward older alumni who don't want to train or drive into the city/The Bronx and party before the game.

*** or they'll take student busses up should that be an option

Is this bus trip indeed happening? Hope so. Great idea!
Demand right now is for three buses if it ends up Pinstripe. Personally, hoping for Music City Bowl as are many.
If interested, contact Mike and he will be in contact.

If you took a poll of the fans in the stands at SHI Stadium I think you would find an overwhelming majority would agree with your sentiments, but this is an anonymous free sports board that deals in fantasy to a much greater extent than reality. Reality only serves as a buzz kill to a lot of the posters, they come on here to dream.

Reactions: RUInDaBronx
Anyone who boycotts this bowl is a moron because it will make us less attractive for future bowl Opportunities.
Well said. The best thing Rutgers fans can do is PACK Yankee Stadium. I already bought 4 tickets on TicketMaster and plan to add more.

For those whining about us playing in the Pinstripe Bowl this year, you can take solace in the fact that RU won't be back there for a while after 12/28/23. It still blows my mind how some on here act like they can pick and choose a Rutgers bowl destination after a 9-year non-COVID bowl drought. Playing in the Pinstripe Bowl will be a great achievement for Coach Schiano, the players and this program.

No "qualified bowl" destination for nine years means our fanbase should be itching to travel again.

I agree Arizona and Detroit are extremely unlikely as I think Pinstripe will take us if we are available to sell tickets.

Ehhhh....students will take the train. These type of trips are usually "geared" toward older alumni who don't want to train or drive into the city/The Bronx and party before the game.

*** or they'll take student busses up should that be an option
There's nothing wrong with that. I can see people not wanting to deal with the hassle of mass transit or driving on their own.

Reactions: RUInDaBronx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT