ADVERTISEMENT

C. Vivian Stringer, simply put a legend in women's bb

Great article about a great RU coach and one that all RU fans ( every sport) should read.

Besides the few that truly think the program can do better without her and should start to invest in the next regime, there are 2 major contributors that makes up the bulk of the anti-CVS crowd that the media often ignores including this article, Title 9 and Don Imus.

Hi guys, I missed you all, you especially 80.

Besides the few that truly think the program can do better without her and should start to invest in the next regime, there are 2 major contributors that makes up the bulk of the anti-CVS crowd that the media often ignores including this article, Title 9 and Don Imus.

Thank god for Title 9!

Interesting to see Title IX mentioned here. I just returned from Italy where, among other conversations, I had one in which people were asking me how the USA got to be so good in women's football (i.e. soccer) whereas our men have never gotten to the point where they could challenge for international titles like the women do (and often win). The main answer I could up with was Title IX, which of course required a great deal of explanation. But it makes sense since no other country has anything remotely like our university sports programs and for the "non-revenue" sports, they provide a fertile ground for developing the talent in those sports. Of course, I also mentioned that Carli Lloyd is a Rutgers grad!

Interesting to see Title IX mentioned here. I just returned from Italy where, among other conversations, I had one in which people were asking me how the USA got to be so good in women's football (i.e. soccer) whereas our men have never gotten to the point where they could challenge for international titles like the women do (and often win). The main answer I could up with was Title IX, which of course required a great deal of explanation. But it makes sense since no other country has anything remotely like our university sports programs and for the "non-revenue" sports, they provide a fertile ground for developing the talent in those sports. Of course, I also mentioned that Carli Lloyd is a Rutgers grad!

IMO it also has to do with the number of different sports that the top athletes in the U.S. can play. Here is soccer, football, basketball, baseball, etc. There its just soccer. Imagine a soccer team with Odell Beckham, Lebron, etc. on it?

If I am "80" then you are very welcome, if not disregard this post.

Reactions: oldman87

I have no doubt that Title IX is a factor, and I speak from personal experience. Not only did it lead to more opportunities for girls to play competitive sports, especially at the secondary and collegiate levels, but it made it *acceptable* for girls to play sports. I had few opportunities to play sports until Title IX was passed during my high school years. I played on some of the first official interscholastic teams at my high school. I arrived at RU in time to play on one of our early softball teams, around the same time that Grentz was hired as the first full-time wbball coach in the country. As high schools and colleges ramped up their women's sports programs, there's been a trickle-down effect. Enough time has passed that many towns have well-established youth sports programs for girls that rival the programs for boys. Soccer is one of these programs. In my town, girls want to play sports, and it is almost expected. I've watched my brother coach my niece in softball since she was 6 or 7 (she'll be 13 next month), and he loves doing this.
In short, I think that we now have an environment in this country that encourages girls to play sports, and supports them at all levels. And I think that soccer in particular has thrived because it's relatively inexpensive for most kids to participate - their parents don't have to invest in a lot of expensive gear.

I agree Diana, I grew up in the 50s and 60s and I loved sports and had to enjoy it through my brother. I was a gymnast early on and as CVS claimed in her book to stay close to the sport she loved I also became a cheerleader. I became a cheerleader so I could be close to the sports I loved, baseball and basketball in NYC. I actually cheered at Kareem Abdul Jabbar's also known as Lew Alcindor games with Charles Evan Hughes in Manhattan.

My current husband and at that time an acquaintance was a football player in what would be now the circuit. There were no organized leagues for football in NYC at that time in the early 1960s.

Reactions: dmd78

Missed you too! Glad you've resurfaced.

Glad to see oldman back and always appreciate seeing the usual suspects support of RU's WBB program.[cheers]

Reactions: gigantor1024
Hi Diane....just kidding

Sorry I didn't respond to your post quickly enough on the Obama thread before it was moved to CE, I've sworn to the old gods and the new that I would never post on that board again.

Reactions: dmd78
Hi Diane....just kidding

Sorry I didn't respond to your post quickly enough on the Obama thread before it was moved to CE, I've sworn to the old gods and the new that I would never post on that board again.
I remember when you swore you're not posting on the CE board again:
132814-Galaxy-Quest-By-Grabthars-Hamm-BY3G.gif

Hi Diane....just kidding

I should have known better, but I had a strong opinion and had to voice it. And in hindsight (i.e. post-commencement), I'm even more convinced that I was right. :-)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT