ADVERTISEMENT

Can Anyone Confirm That Brower Is Closing?

Heard Brower is closing which means that the College Ave revampment may finally be underway. Can anyone confirm this to be accurate?
Interesting and a bit odd if true. I thought they were supposed to build the new dining hall first in the area where they demolished Records Hall?

6.jpg

Reactions: bigmatt718
Heard from a reliable source that Brower is indeed officially closing for good and being razed. Finally, the College Ave Campus is going to be the aesthetically pleasing main campus that RU-NB has yearned for.
Long time coming. Like @Leonard23 mentioned, the timing seems premature without a replacement dining facility on-line already. But hopefully they planned for this and have something figured out accordingly.

Last edited:
Heard from a reliable source that Brower is indeed officially closing for good and being razed. Finally, the College Ave Campus is going to be the aesthetically pleasing main campus that RU-NB has yearned for.
Any word on the interim dining facility (are they just pushing students to use dining halls on other campuses or the student center?), when we'll see pics/plans of and timing to complete the replacement dining facility, and whether they'll also build the new student center at the same time? Thanks.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Any word on the interim dining facility (are they just pushing students to use dining halls on other campuses or the student center?), when we'll see pics/plans of and timing to complete the replacement dining facility, and whether they'll also build the new student center at the same time? Thanks.
I'll keep my ears open.

Reactions: Leonard23
My daughter heard they are setting up temporary dining in the student center basement

at least for her sake they did this now, she was in stonier last year on the brower side, she wouldn't have been happy looking at the demolition. I suppose stonier will be razed soon too
Yeah I think once Brower goes, Stoner will be next, followed by the CA Student Center. Never thought I'd see the day that the revamping plans for College Ave would be executed.

Yeah I think once Brower goes, Stoner will be next, followed by the CA Student Center. Never thought I'd see the day that the revamping plans for College Ave would be executed.
CA student center isn't in the footprint of that section of buildings - I would think it may get repurposed once the new student center is completed. If it does get razed, unlike brower, it will be after it's replacement is in operation

Stonier is a hidden gem with bigger rooms and each room having a/c and its own bathroom.
rooms are not really bigger, but the ac and bathrooms are a huge plus ... my daughter loved it this year ... she was on the floor with the lax freshmen .... she is going to be an ra in one of the neighboring dorms this year and is not happy with the situation ... apparently the temp dining hall in the CA student center will take 'retail' swipes ... ie whatever is considered a meal for a swipe ... as opposed to the other dining halls where you swipe to get in and can go back for as much as you want to eat

As a student I loved the "all you can eat" style of dining. If the main courses weren't to your liking you could hit the cold line to make a sandwich or grab a soup/salad/cereal/fruit to fill up. Then add a fro yo and coffee and you'd never leave hungry. As a current parent, this would disappoint me.

What is currently Brower would become green space/lawn, according to the master plan. The master plan also shows the new dining hall on the Records Hall site. Why not just build the new Brower first, then tear down the old one?? It will be costing huge $$$ to retrofit the lower food court and it doesn't have the size needed to create the food( I've been in the rear kitchen area )or the demand for seating/eating.

Does anyone know the schedule of projects and if they'll be completed in phases or do all at once?

As a student I loved the "all you can eat" style of dining. If the main courses weren't to your liking you could hit the cold line to make a sandwich or grab a soup/salad/cereal/fruit to fill up. Then add a fro yo and coffee and you'd never leave hungry. As a current parent, this would disappoint me.

What is currently Brower would become green space/lawn, according to the master plan. The master plan also shows the new dining hall on the Records Hall site. Why not just build the new Brower first, then tear down the old one?? It will be costing huge $$$ to retrofit the lower food court and it doesn't have the size needed to create the food( I've been in the rear kitchen area )or the demand for seating/eating.

Does anyone know the schedule of projects and if they'll be completed in phases or do all at once?
It's odd that The Atrium won't accept an all you can eat style when it's replacing Brower, which has that. As for construction, my guess is that the new dining hall and other buildings in the 2030 quad plans are a bit bigger than the plans show, so they need to demo Brower and Stonier before starting. Overall, it's a great project that needs to get done sooner than later and should've started 3 years ago. I'm excited but there will definitely be some growing pains.

The "all you care to eat" is still available at three other campuses; my understanding is that they have planned the retrofitting of the lower food court for years, this is a convenient time to do so.
It's odd that The Atrium won't accept an all you can eat style when it's replacing Brower, which has that. As for construction, my guess is that the new dining hall and other buildings in the 2030 quad plans are a bit bigger than the plans show, so they need to demo Brower and Stonier before starting. Overall, it's a great project that needs to get done sooner than later and should've started 3 years ago. I'm excited but there will definitely be some growing pains.
I think it's simply that the Atrium won't be large enough to fit that many people sitting. If it's take out, then people can use many of the other open spaces at the student center. I do agree that it's likely simply that that original design people keep referencing is nearly eight years old, and was before any sort of actual feasibility study. The end result will likely look quite different.

The "all you care to eat" is still available at three other campuses; my understanding is that they have planned the retrofitting of the lower food court for years, this is a convenient time to do so.

I think it's simply that the Atrium won't be large enough to fit that many people sitting. If it's take out, then people can use many of the other open spaces at the student center. I do agree that it's likely simply that that original design people keep referencing is nearly eight years old, and was before any sort of actual feasibility study. The end result will likely look quite different.
We all know how convenient it is to take a bus from CA to Livi/Busch/CD at 5:30 to go to dinner on another campus.... Sure grab lunch if you have a class on another campus, but dinner each night with dorm mates/friends is a staple of college life. Now you're supposed to grab and eat in your dorm room? What if you want a refill on your iced tea, or an extra helping of the turkey/fries etc. My kid loved the dinning hall for all those reasons.

We all know how convenient it is to take a bus from CA to Livi/Busch/CD at 5:30 to go to dinner on another campus.... Sure grab lunch if you have a class on another campus, but dinner each night with dorm mates/friends is a staple of college life. Now you're supposed to grab and eat in your dorm room? What if you want a refill on your iced tea, or an extra helping of the turkey/fries etc. My kid loved the dinning hall for all those reasons.
I'm not saying it's better than a dining hall, just saying the background. It's not uncommon for folks to meet on various campuses for food; getting to Busch\Livi from College ave is usually about 15 minutes. As for "Grab and eat in your dorm room" there's plenty of seating space in the student center. I suspect the main lounge will be heavily utilized next year.

Junior year I put all my dining dollars on my Knight Express card and didn't look back as I always preferred the quality of the atrium options vs. dining halls.

Steak Escape, where have you gone?!?!

Ditto w Wendy's, the Middle Eastern place and the Chinese restaurant would fill a huge box for $5 if you came at 9pm.

The main Dining Hall at Rowan was all you could eat and broken down into specific sections. I went there when my daughter would visit on Fridays for 1/2 price. She would visit the school to visit AT classes to determine if she wanted to got there full time as a freshman.

4 years ago it is now an order system that you pick up food or eat it there.

This will probably be a trend to cut costs in the future.

Brower is closed.

Daughter, who is a junior, also said portions are big at the atrium and that she usually just gets lunch and eats her leftovers for dinner, and still pitches a lot of food

she's only tried kings Hawaiian and the asian food place out of the 5 and said they are both decent.

Says all her friends bitch about the place, but says they just like to bitch about something rutgers and they'd be bitching about Brower too if it was their only option

My son(Freshman) has been eating at the Atrium and says is okay. Portions are very large. Not sure about waiting times.
My son has tons of food allergies(dairy products, eggs, nuts, fish) so his diet is pretty basic. Atrium has worked out pretty well except he went over late last night and they were out of hamburgers. So he tried the vegan pizza and said it wasn’t too bad.

He hasn’t had any problems with waiting times.

Any updates on this? Thanks.

Saw that, thanks. I was looking for details on how the food is there and when Brower would be demolished.

Thank God.

Brower was a disaster, they should have renamed it to Colonic Cataclysm when it was in operation.

• Haha
Reactions: bigmatt718
When I arrived at RU my dorm was Hegeman Hall. Out my window I watched as Clothier Hall was constructed and nearby Tinsley and Brower were also going up. The construction zone was a muddy and noisy mess. But it was progress(?) . Years later I took the bar exam in Brower. Ever changing and not eternally the same!

The dining hall was the 2 best parts of the day midweek

Of course, you forgot it.. that was the point of it!

Regretable, forgettable behavior by one and all!

Now I'm worried about what else I might have forgotten.

Thank god they didn't have cell phones back then!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT