ADVERTISEMENT

Can Goodale and Pritzlaff coach football?

Goodale has personality... the guy takes the podium and you listen. When my wife first heard one of his first public speaking engagements (skull session vs. Virgina Tech way back when) her comment was "This guy reminds me of Schiano". Also, you don't hear excuses from this guy and he will call out his wrestlers in public when needed... he will also be the first one to sing their praises when they do things right. Straight shooter all the way.

Pritz is not as "dynamic" from a public speaking perspective, but knows his sh*t and has a TON of credibility within the wrestling world; especially NJ. I know the guy personally and when he gets a kid one on one, they are going to listen. He's also a bulldog on the mat. Perroti joked at a SKWC meeting that to this day, there isn't a kid on the team that can score on him. I mean we are talking about a guy who took 3rd in the world here and has that killer look when matside. He's also intense when he needs to be. This is exactly the kind of kid that connects with a blue chip wrestling prospect.

The bottom line is that these guys are pros and know how to connect with kids. They also inspire confidence when they speak and know how to sell a vision. Goodale walked into this program as a High School coach with no budget, limited scholarships and one year removed off potentially being cut and he has made it into a top 10 program. His message from day one has been upbeat, positive and all Jersey. Even after he took crap from the negative recruiters "He's just a high school coach" "You can't win at Rutgers" bla bla bla, he kept plowing away. Pritzlaff gave him the hired gun with significant clout in the community and in the room and squashes that "They don't have the staff to make you a champion" argument. Long term Hobbs needs to find a way to keep Goodale and Pritzlaff both a part of this program. It's going to be tricky for sure.

So to answer the OPs question I would say you asked the wrong question. It's not "can these guys coach football" but what is it about them or what they have done to make wrestling so special.

Last edited:
Goodale has personality... the guy takes the podium and you listen. When my wife first heard one of his first public speaking engagements (skull session vs. Virgina Tech way back when) her comment was "This guy reminds me of Schiano". Also, you don't hear excuses from this guy and he will call out his wrestlers in public when needed... he will also be the first one to sing their praises when they do things right. Straight shooter all the way.

Pritz is not as "dynamic" from a public speaking perspective, but knows his sh*t and has a TON of credibility within the wrestling world; especially NJ. I know the guy personally and when he gets a kid one on one, they are going to listen. He's also a bulldog on the mat. Perroti joked at a SKWC meeting that to this day, there isn't a kid on the team that can score on him. I mean we are talking about a guy who took 3rd in the world here and has that killer look when matside. He's also intense when he needs to be. This is exactly the kind of kid that connects with a blue chip wrestling prospect.

The bottom line is that these guys are pros and know how to connect with kids. They also inspire confidence when they speak and know how to sell a vision. Goodale walked into this program as a High School coach with no budget, limited scholarships and one year removed off potentially being cut and he has made it into a top 10 program. His message from day one has been upbeat, positive and all Jersey. Even after he took crap from the negative recruiters "He's just a high school coach" "You can't win at Rutgers" bla bla bla, he kept plowing away. Pritzlaff gave him the hired gun with significant clout in the community and in the room and squashes that "They don't have the staff to make you a champion" argument. Long term Hobbs needs to find a way to keep Goodale and Pritzlaff both a part of this program. It's going to be tricky for sure.

So to answer the OPs question I would say you asked the wrong question. It's not "can these guys coach football" but what is it about them or what they have done to make wrestling so special.
I see you left one person out. IMO in order to take the next step they need to get a Pritzlaff type talent to coach the upper weights and improve SKWC training partners there as well. I know Scott doesn't want to part with Leonardis, so make him the head of SKWC. The major issues are his weight classes 174 through HWT. My main belief has always been it's OK for your head coach to be on the older side. He's the face of the program and brings continuity. But your assistants need to be younger that can connect with the kids and bring those resumes to help recruit.

I see you left one person out. IMO in order to take the next step they need to get a Pritzlaff type talent to coach the upper weights and improve SKWC training partners there as well. I know Scott doesn't want to part with Leonardis, so make him the head of SKWC. The major issues are his weight classes 174 through HWT. My main belief has always been it's OK for your head coach to be on the older side. He's the face of the program and brings continuity. But your assistants need to be younger that can connect with the kids and bring those resumes to help recruit.

I think Pat Downey (NJRTC) fills that bill a bit. He works out with the heavier RU wrestlers 2 or 3 times a week.

I think Pat Downey (NJRTC) fills that bill a bit. He works out with the heavier RU wrestlers 2 or 3 times a week.
Could use another talent like him in the uppers. The Downey resurrection tour is going quite well. Not sure what's kicked off in his head(maybe being away from dad) but it's working out splendidly.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Could use another talent like him in the uppers. The Downey resurrection tour is going quite well. Not sure what's kicked off in his head(maybe being away from dad) but it's working out splendidly.

I think both Turley and Poznanski are going to be terrific upper weight wrestlers. Poz a year away. Kanniard is going to be real good too, but he is probably more a 165 weight. Lightner also may open some eyes this year. I think he may just beat out the older guys Correnti and Pagano (197 or 184).
Not sure what to make of Del Vecchio. He is very short for a heavyweight, and a tweener weight as well (see Campolatanno/Gross/ Correnti). Many of those good HS 220 guys seem to get stuck with no logical college weight.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
I think both Turley and Poznanski are going to be terrific upper weight wrestlers. Poz a year away. Kanniard is going to be real good too, but he is probably more a 165 weight. Lightner also may open some eyes this year. I think he may just beat out the older guys Correnti and Pagano (197 or 184).
Not sure what to make of Del Vecchio. He is very short for a heavyweight, and a tweener weight as well (see Campolatanno/Gross/ Correnti). Many of those good HS 220 guys seem to get stuck with no logical college weight.
In the heavies Turley I'm really high on. Janzer ehh we'll see, really hoping he steps it up next year. The rest it's just not B1G caliber and has been a problem for far too long. Sure you get one guy here or there but compared to the talent being stocked in the middle/lower weights it's a problem. And the one reason I don't think we'll ever ascend any further. Serviceable but they're just not producing.

Reactions: jreinsdorf

Please don’t infer or read into anything just because I left Leo off. Leo is not a problem for this program.

DelVecchio’s offense and athleticism on the mat is far superior to Gross. I have nothing but love for Gross, but I feel Zach has a higher ceiling in college and isn’t taking years off to chase football. Camp’s issues are well documented and don’t need to be rehashed.

Who knows how Zach develops, but he’s got attitude and the right mindset to be successful on the mat. I’m not counting him out at all.

From time to time, I see someone say they think he will become an admin at Rutgers and one of the assistants will take over. Have no idea if this is true. This type of transition has certainly worked well for Wisconsin football. With the help of great New Jersey running backs.

We get already. No one is being clever.

Hobbs is cleaning houae in many sports.

Let's see what happens this season.

comparing NJ born Goodale who has won everywhere in numerous sports he's coached to Ash from Iowa who has never led anything as a leader is just a joke. Goodale would run circles around Ash if he was the Rutgers Head football coach. He wouldn't sleep until it was successful..Ash has none of that mentality, Charisma or personality .. Pretty sad reality for our football program. Elite winning coaches are rare but Rutgers hit a gold mine with Scott Goodale.. Ash would probably struggle getting a HS team over .500 in the GMC.. Hopefully Ash has a ski mask when he goes to the Bank because he's just robbing NJ!

Last edited:
comparing NJ born Goodale who has won everywhere in numerous sports he's coached to Ash from Iowa who has never led anything as a leader is just a joke. Goodale would run circles around Ash if he was the Rutgers Head football coach. He wouldn't sleep until it was successful..Ash has none of that mentality.. Pretty sad reality for our football program.

Like I said... Goodale has certain traits that Ash lacks. I’ll leave it at that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT