ADVERTISEMENT

Can We Control the line of scrimmage vs. Northwestern?

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Seems like they are having issues on both sides of the ball. This is from a press conference last week.

The trenches are still a work in progress
The offensive line is replacing three starters from the end of last season, and the defensive line had just two scholarship defensive tackles in spring practice.
Braun thinks that there will be a learning curve for both units, but they could become strengths once they find their rhythm and chemistry.
"First thing I've seen is numbers," he said about the defensive line, which has brought in three transfers since spring ball. "I walk into the D-line room and it's full again. [Defensive line] coach [Christian] Smith has done an incredible job developing the young men that participated in spring...
"I see a group that has a lot of room for improvement, is not where they need to be at today, but Week 1 that can help us win a football game. By midseason, I think they could be the reason that we're winning football games."
Braun echoed a similar sentiment about the offensive line.
"I would equate it very similar to the D-line," Braun said. "I feel very good about the depth and the trajectory of that group under the leadership of [offensive line] coach [Kurt] Anderson.
"They're going to help us win games. I don't know if they'll be the reason why we're winning football games early, but as the season goes on, that's going to be a group that improves down the stretch...We just make sure they provide opportunities for guys at different spots so they can find the right combination."

Reactions: LeapinLou
I ignore everything until games start.
Intrasquad scrimmages are fluffies
When Army was losing 15 years in a row their spring games used to look like Ohio St vs Michigan.
Then they would lose to Yale and Stony Brook.

I heard coach say that OL was playing so tight he couldn't tell who the different players were.
He said that as a good thing but thats what you get out of camps

Reactions: dconifer
If there is any increase in the yards before contact statistic for our rushing offense against anyone but Wagner this year, that'll be an improvement.

Finally a football game thread!

On the one hand I do think Rutgers will win, and that will make us happy. But it will be one of those kind of wins that drive the fanbase crazy and have everyone calling to fire everyone. One of those slugfest, ugly, 16-14 type grind it out 3 yards at a time type games.

A W is a W... I'll take it... but not sure this game tells us much unless we lose in bad fashion.... then it'll be a very bad long season.

Three yards and a cloud of pellets kind of game…
Deep threat will be needed to keep teams from stacking the box. I guess J. Jackson is the deep threat since he clocked a 4.41 40 at his most recent pre-transfer workout.

Finally a football game thread!

On the one hand I do think Rutgers will win, and that will make us happy. But it will be one of those kind of wins that drive the fanbase crazy and have everyone calling to fire everyone. One of those slugfest, ugly, 16-14 type grind it out 3 yards at a time type games.

A W is a W... I'll take it... but not sure this game tells us much unless we lose in bad fashion.... then it'll be a very bad long season.
On the fence right now. I absolutely want them to win big, but given the massive problems with the offense, I just don't see it.

Our DL is supposed to be very good.. and they had some good performances against top competition last season. They form a decent measuring stick for the OL. And the very latest GS after-practice QnA seemed to indicate the OL looks better.

In 2021 we only put up 7 points at NW but only gave up 21 points. NW had given up 56 points to Nebraska in the previous game. We were the only Big Ten team NX defeated that season so that is pretty weak. NW held a bad #22 Iowa offense to 17 points but every other Big Ten team scored 30 and over on them.

Last year we did not play NW and they only won 1 game, beating Nebraska 31-28 in the opener. But NW D help both Penn State and Purdue to 17 points and Ohio State to 21. So the NW D had improved since 2021 and are probably pretty good this coming season.

There's the next measuring stick to watch when we play them. I rarely predict by my HOPE is bubbling over and I'll go with 33-20 Rutgers Wins!

Last edited:
If RU wins the turnover and time of possession battles, we should win the game. From what I understand, this incoming transfer QB of theirs is pretty good. So that is my third concern.

I believe our defense will win this game with no help from the offense.
It will take this game for our offense to hopefully get their legs under them.
Our offense needs more work to click.
Our defense needs somebody to hit to bring out "the Dark side" then its lights out.
We get our first knockout of a starting QB, for the year.

If RU can’t control or have a good LOS day vs NW, it’s going to be a long year. As others have pointed out, it’s difficult to judge where RU is until the regular season starts. These intrasquad practices/scrimmages don’t indicate the team’s relative strength against other teams.
Exactly - my knee jerk reaction when I saw the title of this post was "Lord help us if we can't!"

Reactions: retired711
Sounds like the only given across both teams and both sides of the ball on the Lines is RU’s DL. With Bryant at QB for NW, he’ll have success if we cannot get pressure. Need to shut down their run completely and then pin our ears back on long yardage situations. If we can get a turnover or two from that in key situations, I’ll think that will be the difference in the game.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I think the DL is gonna be a strength for us this season, hell, I think the whole defense will. But the OL is a work in process, we really won't know what kind of progress they've made until they're in game conditions.

I think the DL is gonna be a strength for us this season, hell, I think the whole defense will. But the OL is a work in process, we really won't know what kind of progress they've made until they're in game conditions.
I agree Spanky but if the D is on the field for 40 minutes per game we’re in trouble. Those big guys get tired after a full half of play. Against NW I think we’re alright, it’s a different issue against OSU, PSU, and Michigan.

I'm not sure whether you consider the Edge players as DL or LBs, but they definitely will be a strength.

I fear we might get beat by the better QB.
I understand he might be on his ass all day, but good QB’s can make big plays under duress and you only need a handful of them.
The good news is we heard that about the BC QB last year and we handled him…. I’m hoping for the same result

Our DL is supposed to be very good.. and they had some good performances against top competition last season. They form a decent measuring stick for the OL. And the very latest GS after-practice QnA seemed to indicate the OL looks better.

In 2021 we only put up 7 points at NW but only gave up 21 points. NW had given up 56 points to Nebraska in the previous game. We were the only Big Ten team NX defeated that season so that is pretty weak. NW held a bad #22 Iowa offense to 17 points but every other Big Ten team scored 30 and over on them.

Last year we did not play NW and they only won 1 game, beating Nebraska 31-28 in the opener. But NW D help both Penn State and Purdue to 17 points and Ohio State to 21. So the NW D had improved since 2021 and are probably pretty good this coming season.

There's the next measuring stick to watch when we play them. I rarely predict by my HOPE is bubbling over and I'll go with 33-20 Rutgers Wins!
As each and every Rutgers fan knows well the big question is will the offense be able to score in the mid 20’s against the teams from the eastern side. I have absolute faith that our D can play with anyone this season. These are games we need and can win but Rutgers can’t take any for granted.Northwestern, Wagner, Temple, VTech ( tough one )… Indiana,Michigan State… a game I actually think we have a fighters chance…. Iowa….yeah I know not at Nyle Kinnick Stadium. We have played them well several times.

...a game I actually think we have a fighters chance…. Iowa….yeah I know not at Nyle Kinnick Stadium. We have played them well several times.
I shall remind you that Iowa has been like an extreme version of this Rutgers team. Their offense has been pathetic but their defense has been dominant. If they fix their offense their offense as we seek to do they will likely be better on both sides of the ball. And we lost our punt-god... they still have theirs.

That said.. that's why we don't play games on paper. Football demands much physicality and that makes it a very emotional game. Anything can happen but you gotta have heart.

lastly.. about trusting the D. Stuff happens.. for all I know we are one injury away from having a hole in the D that can be exploited. Like you, though, I expect the D will be solid... but the quality of the Big Ten means any way there is to attack us will be found and exploited by the top teams.

Last edited:
I don’t know what to expect from this game or this team, but I will give my two cents.
The X factor will be GW if we get 225 out of QB position say 175yards pass and 50yards running, some on 3rd down conversions we win by 2 scores.
Also, need to be even or win turn over battle.

Three yards and a cloud of pellets kind of game…
Deep threat will be needed to keep teams from stacking the box. I guess J. Jackson is the deep threat since he clocked a 4.41 40 at his most recent pre-transfer workout.
Winner!

Chris Long and Brantley are a shade slower in the 40 according to what I was able to find.
Hopefully the two TE sets will allow the O to block the edge well enough to roll GW out and give him some easy throws toward the sideline. Then trick them with some naked (with TE blocking help) bootleg rollout action away from the play action.
That said, Jay Patel may set a single game FG made record.

Naming a starting OL early would help them to play as a cohesive unit. Not deciding early has been a continuing problem during the Schiano years. Make a decision for God's sake!

To this subject 2023 … Colbert mentioned our D’s interior line specifically at DT. This is what I see: Ahanatu, Hamilton, Angoy, Rainey, Augustine, Dennis, Konga ( also plays outside) Peterson , Iton , and personally I could see our potential pro DE ‘s Bailey and Lewis move inside in specific D packages . So at this point in time I don’t even consider several others who are in the process of getting bigger these next two years. It’s all about the Offense and it’s hopeful improvements for 2023.

Chris Long and Brantley are a shade slower in the 40 according to what I was able to find.
Hopefully the two TE sets will allow the O to block the edge well enough to roll GW out and give him some easy throws toward the sideline. Then trick them with some naked (with TE blocking help) bootleg rollout action away from the play action.
That said, Jay Patel may set a single game FG made record.
If I see two-TE sets, especially if it is just to block, I'll know we already have lost... unless one of those TEs is really just a WR lining up at TE... or if we are at their goal line about to see Brown power in for a TD!

Naming a starting OL early would help them to play as a cohesive unit. Not deciding early has been a continuing problem during the Schiano years. Make a decision for God's sake!
Schiano said recently he'd love to have a 5 for the OL but the interior of the line has some close competition and some dinged-up appendages. He made it sound like it is not a question of not finding 5 good that are worthy... but difficulty identifying the most worthy and sturdy. Sounded like the OTs and TEs are set.

Seeing this site's podcast with Teel today I am reminded just how bad our offense was to start the 2006 season. It struggled through 4.5 games (second half at USF they pulled together and moved the ball well the rest of the season, save the cheatin' bastards at Cinci). In those first five games the D won those games. So, even if the O struggles while we win early anyway (hope we win).. I won't give up on the O unless they look especially hopeless... units can improve during the season as well as the preseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I for one will be very disappointed if their new qb transfer outperforms our highly rated 3rd year qb.

Last edited:
If I see two-TE sets, especially if it is just to block, I'll know we already have lost... unless one of those TEs is really just a WR lining up at TE... or if we are at their goal line about to see Brown power in for a TD!
They could run all kinds of stuff out of the two TE set. I’m sure Schiano bent Belichick’s ear about stuff that works out of it since Bill used two TE sets all the time when he had two good ones. And, Bowman and Langan are probably two of the most versatile guys on the offense if you include blocking.

I ignore everything until games start.
Intrasquad scrimmages are fluffies
When Army was losing 15 years in a row their spring games used to look like Ohio St vs Michigan.
Then they would lose to Yale and Stony Brook.

I heard coach say that OL was playing so tight he couldn't tell who the different players were.
He said that as a good thing but thats what you get out of camps
Never understood so many asking about predictions. I just wait for the games , I don’t care what some random dude thinks if our o line will be better than another team .

Neither Gronk nor Hernandez could run sub 4.6 40’s but the Patriots used two TE sets all the time.

I for one will be very disappointed if their new qb transfer outperforms our highly rated 3rd year qb.
Well get ready to be disappointed. Schiano’s conservative philosophy ensures the other QB will outplay ours. Hopefully we get short fields from turnovers bc that’s the only way the O will score 10+

Reactions: BeantownKnight
The point is, why didn't we get this transfer or someone like him to compete, instead of nursing along a project.
Don’t sleep on Simon. He throws a very accurate ball with nice touch if needed. Gavin will need to matriculate the ball down the field in order to keep starting.

Reactions: Plum Street
Never understood so many asking about predictions. I just wait for the games , I don’t care what some random dude thinks if our o line will be better than another team .
For us the fans it’s fun to speculate about our O and D units and how they will potentially perform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT