ADVERTISEMENT

Can We Control the line of scrimmage vs. Northwestern?

If I see two-TE sets, especially if it is just to block, I'll know we already have lost... unless one of those TEs is really just a WR lining up at TE... or if we are at their goal line about to see Brown power in for a TD!
I can see us using two TE a lot this year with Langan and Bowman who seems to be pretty big and strong and a solid pass catcher. Actually think this can be a very successful set up considering Langan is very versatile. There's a heck of a lot you can do with these 2 tight ends, and a very good back like Sam Brown.

Chris Long and Brantley are a shade slower in the 40 according to what I was able to find.
Hopefully the two TE sets will allow the O to block the edge well enough to roll GW out and give him some easy throws toward the sideline. Then trick them with some naked (with TE blocking help) bootleg rollout action away from the play action.
That said, Jay Patel may set a single game FG made record.
It would be an improvement this year if the MVP of the team and who kicks the football is NOT our punter as in years past.

I believe Northwestern only has 2 starters back on offense and maybe 3 on defense. So there will be a lot of players with little experience or portal players on both sides of the ball. Add that there is a new coach with little head coaching experience. If we don't win it is going to be a long year.

I can see us using two TE a lot this year with Langan and Bowman who seems to be pretty big and strong and a solid pass catcher. Actually think this can be a very successful set up considering Langan is very versatile. There's a heck of a lot you can do with these 2 tight ends, and a very good back like Sam Brown.
Just watched the Giants game and was thinking this exact same thing. This will help Gavin a lot and I hope and expect to see a lot of this.

I know this game will be tough, first game out of the gate. But if we want to get more recruiting momentum we need to win by a large margin. Then have no let downs going forward. Lose to Temple or Va Tech at home and it will be a long season. I have faith that Chris Long is better than people think. I watched him play in high school and he was the best athlete on the team by a lot. College is obviously a faster game but I think he may be ready to flash again. He has shown that ability in spots but we need him to step up his game. We also need to run the ball and control the clock to be successful. It’s all on the O-line improving dramatically.

I know this game will be tough, first game out of the gate. But if we want to get more recruiting momentum we need to win by a large margin. Then have no let downs going forward. Lose to Temple or Va Tech at home and it will be a long season. I have faith that Chris Long is better than people think. I watched him play in high school and he was the best athlete on the team by a lot. College is obviously a faster game but I think he may be ready to flash again. He has shown that ability in spots but we need him to step up his game. We also need to run the ball and control the clock to be successful. It’s all on the O-line improving dramatically.
If Long will be good then Jackson and Brantley should be productive (or at least draw attention from the D) this season.

I believe Northwestern only has 2 starters back on offense and maybe 3 on defense. So there will be a lot of players with little experience or portal players on both sides of the ball. Add that there is a new coach with little head coaching experience. If we don't win it is going to be a long year.
Bob Toledo was a first yr coach at Tulane. And he brought his horrendous team to Piscataway, and smacked Greg around. Tulane only won 2-3 games that yr too. Never underestimate Greg's ability to lose. He is not difficult to out coach

• Wow
Reactions: Jimpeg
You mean the year 2010 when Eric LeGrand against Army at Giants Stadium made the tackle on the kickoff and was tragically paralyzed. The fact this Tulane game was right after it and Schiano spent sleepless nights with Eric’s mom and sister in the hospital . I know you didn’t realize the possible correlation. But thanks for another negative post.

I think the DL is gonna be a strength for us this season, hell, I think the whole defense will. But the OL is a work in process, we really won't know what kind of progress they've made until they're in game conditions.

Sigh.

You mean the year 2010 when Eric LeGrand against Army at Giants Stadium made the tackle on the kickoff and was tragically paralyzed. The fact this Tulane game was right after it and Schiano spent sleepless nights with Eric’s mom and sister in the hospital . I know you didn’t realize the possible correlation. But thanks for another negative post.

Are you responding to your own Tulane comment above?

Nice try. But the Tulane embarrassment, was before the Army game. We all know Greg has been embarrassed, and out coached a million times. Whether it is losing to horrible Tulane teams, or getting carved up by 3rd string quarterbacks. Never underestimate he's ability to lose, to anyone

Last edited:
Bob Toledo was a first yr coach at Tulane. And he brought his horrendous team to Piscataway, and smacked Greg around.
Smacked around??? The score was 17-14. Absolutely that was a game we should have won,but giving up 17 points in a three point game isn't exactly being "smacked around". We also outgained them by over 100 total yards. I also believe that might have been the game when Tom Savage was hurt and we had to put in a true freshman who had thrown a total of two passes against FBS competition before that game?

P.S. we weren't a very good football team that year (4-8) and we didn't win a game after Eric's injury. Also some games near the end of the year we did get "smacked around".
Our leading rusher that year had a grand total of 417 yards. Last year with no offense line Monangai had more than that

Last edited:
Smacked around??? The score was 17-14. Absolutely that was a game we should have won,but giving up 17 points in a three point game isn't exactly being "smacked around". We also outgained them by over 100 total yards. I also believe that might have been the game when Tom Savage was hurt and we had to put in a true freshman who had thrown a total of two passes against FBS competition before that game?

P.S. we weren't a very good football team that year (4-8) and we didn't win a game after Eric's injury. Also some games near the end of the year we did get "smacked around".
Our leading rusher that year had a grand total of 417 yards. Last year with no offense line Monangai had more than that
We have some real winners for fans, or are they just trolls? My ignore list proves to be useful again.

All 2 (and 3 because those are definitely coming as well) TE sets will do is bring more defenders to the LOS and crowd the line.

I said it last year and I'll say it again: the more our offense revolves around a hybrid FB/TE (Langan), the more we are set up for failure.

Especially with a work in progress OL.
It just crowds their vision and makes it easier foe the DC to confuse and beat them.

More receiving threats on the field - not less.

No, I think he's responding to jerzeyguy's post one above his.
Yes… jerzeyguy’s post is the one I was attempting to answer. If these morons are going to post about Rutgers at least know the facts. That year was over the day Eric’s injury occurred. For those who remember that 2010 season Schiano ‘s mindset was on his player… it was a brutal time for the team, staff, fans and college football.But idiots like him will always post negative reply’s regarding Rutgers. Same as several other regular posters.

Reactions: Knight Shift
All 2 (and 3 because those are definitely coming as well) TE sets will do is bring more defenders to the LOS and crowd the line.

I said it last year and I'll say it again: the more our offense revolves around a hybrid FB/TE (Langan), the more we are set up for failure.

Especially with a work in progress OL.
It just crowds their vision and makes it easier foe the DC to confuse and beat them.

More receiving threats on the field - not less.
Johnny Langan can beat a LB to the sideline (4.7 40 with good hands) if the LB is trying to keep inside leverage although the QB needs to have touch and throw it early. Has anyone ever run a draw play with a two TE set? I would try it as it would give Samuel “L Jackyouupson” Brown a chance at finding a seam so he can stretch his legs out a bit and get downhill.
I’m sure there will be plenty of 3 and 4 WR sets once the coaches see what they have in live action. Apparently Chris Long is a good blocking WR.

According to what has been released by Schiano himself over the summer sessions the left side of the line with Brown, Dunlap , Pierce is relatively experienced and set . The right side of the line has 4-6 players attempting to earn the job under coach Flaherty. We will soon find out but as for injury depth we are far more capable at least with players who though young do have some playing time in the B1G . If Rutgers can be average at the worst we have a fighter’s chance . Need to control the LOS something we have lacked for too many seasons since 2014.

When a first yr HC brings his lowly and undermanned squad, to your home turf, and takes care of business.. That's smacked around -- in the head coaching department. Yes Dodd played, but he was not outplayed. This was a classic, Schiano coaching loss.

My point was to be cautious. Northwestern may have an inexperienced HC, and a number of other issues. But this Greg we're talking about. Out coaching him, and stealing a win, is not a difficult task

Here’s the question for the O line experts here. Who do you think can produce at right tackle and right guard? So wish Reggie Sutton was able to play but that ain’t happening it seems.I still think Sutton along with Langan , Melton , Lewis, Powell should be on field captains. Maybe none as Schiano stated during the week.

When a first yr HC brings his lowly and undermanned squad, to your home turf, and takes care of business.. That's smacked around -- in the head coaching department. Yes Dodd played, but he was not outplayed. This was a classic, Schiano coaching loss.

My point was to be cautious. Northwestern may have an inexperienced HC, and a number of other issues. But this Greg we're talking about. Out coaching him, and stealing a win, is not a difficult task
Your posting was to gloat on here #1. Try every fourth / fifth post to at least post something other than slamming Rutgers, Schiano and telling us something we all know since 2015 … we haven’t been good but we will still show up .

Yes… jerzeyguy’s post is the one I was attempting to answer. If these morons are going to post about Rutgers at least know the facts. That year was over the day Eric’s injury occurred. For those who remember that 2010 season Schiano ‘s mindset was on his player… it was a brutal time for the team, staff, fans and college football.But idiots like him will always post negative reply’s regarding Rutgers. Same as several other regular posters.

Terrible similarities to the situation in 2004. When Eric went down we were 4-2, but then finished off the season going 0-6. In 2004, after we beat Temple for Homecoming to go to 4-2, we had that terrible car accident caused by the drunk driver going the wrong way on the John Lynch Bridge. We lost 3 DB's for the season, Dondre Asberry, Eddie Grimes and Manny Collins. Asberry was in ICU for around 2 weeks, Schiano was at his bedside every possible moment until he was out of danger.

That was also the year that KC decided to go to a spread offense even though we didn't have a single offensive lineman who had been recruited for that. Haslem's dad can fill you in on what a disaster that was.

Terrible similarities to the situation in 2004. When Eric went down we were 4-2, but then finished off the season going 0-6. In 2004, after we beat Temple for Homecoming to go to 4-2, we had that terrible car accident caused by the drunk driver going the wrong way on the John Lynch Bridge. We lost 3 DB's for the season, Dondre Asberry, Eddie Grimes and Manny Collins. Asberry was in ICU for around 2 weeks, Schiano was at his bedside every possible moment until he was out of danger.
Thank You DJ Spanky: as for any RU fan around at the time realizes the actual facts matter. The final 6 consecutive losses did the season no good. The tragedy still is haunting . Say what you wish about Schiano ( and I don’t compare other HC) This so called shitty game day coach has been through more than enough bad tragedy episodes. Maybe because having actually known Eric’ s family his grandfather and uncle through work then watching him play ball in the township I realized why I like Greg Schiano warts and all. It’s the fact Greg Schiano has actual empathy and compassion something we all should work harder at in this life.

Your posting was to gloat on here #1. Try every fourth / fifth post to at least post something other than slamming Rutgers, Schiano and telling us something we all know since 2015 … we haven’t been good but we will still show up .
Theirs nothing to gloat about. Obviously you didn't know the Tulane game was weeks before Army. You tried to spin it - as the loss was bc of Eric's injury. I never slam Rutgers. Im just the one guy, who is actually honest about Greg

In addition
Theirs nothing to gloat about. Obviously you didn't know the Tulane game was weeks before Army. You tried to spin it - as the loss was bc of Eric's injury. I never slam Rutgers. Im just the one guy, who is actually honest about Greg
i spun nothing …it was a period where we had some serious medical issues 2004 -2010. I see you as a jerzy clown who gets his rocks off on anything negative involving Schiano and Rutgers sports . You ’re a board troll. You will be back at any loss close or wide. Just make sure we see your posts when we play well and perhaps pick up a few wins. Have you ever told Greg how you feel face to face?😎

Thank You DJ Spanky: as for any RU fan around at the time realizes the actual facts matter. The final 6 consecutive losses did the season no good. The tragedy still is haunting . Say what you wish about Schiano ( and I don’t compare other HC) This so called shitty game day coach has been through more than enough bad tragedy episodes. Maybe because having actually known Eric’ s family his grandfather and uncle through work then watching him play ball in the township I realized why I like Greg Schiano warts and all. It’s the fact Greg Schiano has actual empathy and compassion something we all should work harder at in this life.
Bob you make some good points. I agree with some of them.
You should admit you were wrong about the timing of the Tulane game . Heck that was 13 years ago . Easy to make that mistake .
I believe there was a moment of silence for Tyler Clementi before that game though

Bob you make some good points. I agree with some of them.
You should admit you were wrong about the timing of the Tulane game . Heck that was 13 years ago . Easy to make that mistake .
I believe there was a moment of silence for Tyler Clementi before that game though
Yes it was easy to fumble the games which were close together . This poster goes with the usual troll posting. “ I never criticize Rutgers.” He’s only letting everyone know he’s calling out Schiano when other fans and donors don’t. Sure Jack Ass let’s go with that … you never answered my question so you’re like another so called Rutgers supporter here. Did you EVER confront , ask or speak with Greg Schiano on your concerns with his inadequate coaching ? The guy has coached during his years at PSU, Miami , Rutgers ( 32 years old) 11 years.HC at Tampa Bay and admits he was not ready for that. Then goes to Ohio State 2-3 years. I believe was offered to join Belichek at New England , gets screwed out of HC job because of rumors at Tennessee . Then first turns down Rutgers then accepts the RU job for a second chance which everyone knows he will work his ass off. And still jerzy clown and some others hate the guy, claim he sucks but the overall records show otherwise. He has been back now into year 4, … after 6 -7 years of being totally inept on the National scene known as the B1G he still is showing through staff hires, recruiting , player development and trying to raise the NIL $$$$ we desperately need. To disparage the guy who we saw succeed here once , I’ll continue to believe he can get us to a better than decent program. Ask his former players those who have gone on to post college careers if he sucks? Yes he’s stubborn , tough and been known to micro manage but he is just what we have missed.

So- we know we have a good defense. Maybe even VERY good. But, this is based on what we saw last year and who is back for us.
But, based on what little info we get during the spring/summer - do we really know what we do or do not have on offense? I have no idea if GW is either a complete failure or if he has all of a sudden gotten it. Our RB room is good and we never really hear anything earth shaking about OL/TE/WR - Greg doesn't allow anyone to share anything of importance.

GW kind of has to be better than last year- the OL would have a hard time being worse too.

This is a bi test as it will really let us know pretty much everything about our team.

Reactions: RUBOB72 and mdk01
We have some real winners for fans, or are they just trolls? My ignore list proves to be useful again.
Yeah not sure why so many trolls on here lately . They act like fans of RU but clearly they are not . They are actually fans of other teams not sure why they waste everyone’s time.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Johnny Langan can beat a LB to the sideline (4.7 40 with good hands) if the LB is trying to keep inside leverage although the QB needs to have touch and throw it early. Has anyone ever run a draw play with a two TE set? I would try it as it would give Samuel “L Jackyouupson” Brown a chance at finding a seam so he can stretch his legs out a bit and get downhill.
I’m sure there will be plenty of 3 and 4 WR sets once the coaches see what they have in live action. Apparently Chris Long is a good blocking WR.
That and Bowman is bigger/stronger than the linebackers he's going against at 6'5, 265. So which TE do you put the safety on and which do you put the LB on? Creates a big matchup probably for the defense.

Last year they even ran a TE sweep with Langan that was usually pretty successful. I'm not saying that's a winning strategy to give johnny the ball every possession but to have that in the bag is huge.

If even one of our receivers becomes a deep threat (Jackson hopefully) the field opens ups a lot.

That and Bowman is bigger/stronger than the linebackers he's going against at 6'5, 265. So which TE do you put the safety on and which do you put the LB on? Creates a big matchup probably for the defense.

Last year they even ran a TE sweep with Langan that was usually pretty successful. I'm not saying that's a winning strategy to give johnny the ball every possession but to have that in the bag is huge.

If even one of our receivers becomes a deep threat (Jackson hopefully) the field opens ups a lot.
The 40 times I found on Bowman are very similar (maybe a just smidge slower) to what I found for Langan. Bowman is listed as having gained 10 pounds recently though so he’s probably at least a full tenth of a second behind Langan’s 4.73 ish but Bowman’s a huge target.

Not for nothing- we also just went big time with coaches…I am big on our OL guy.
Does Greg let KC and the offense band shine though…

Not for nothing- we also just went big time with coaches…I am big on our OL guy.
Does Greg let KC and the offense band shine though…
Agree, Flaherty was a great hire. The interview with him during Spring practice was outstanding. If anyone can shape up the Oline,it’s him. He is also a major plus on the recruiting side because kids want to learn and play for him. Johnny Football is a major plus for us. Versatile, tough and good hands. We are fortunate he came back. Predict he plays At next level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT