ADVERTISEMENT

Cancer Pavilion

Star Ledger
Rutgers wants to open a top cancer hospital, but a local school board may have the final say

Seems the principal NIMBY objection is the students will have to attend a less attractive school while the new one is built?

Not sure why some faculty seem to be agitating on the topic. I doubt it is because they live in the neighborhood or send their kids to the school? Of course it could just be old fashioned faculty union bashing anything not involving a professor pay raise.

School board standing in the way? Seems unlikely, but I am not up on NB intramural politics lately.
They should really be proactive about this: if they really need this site, then pull out all stops to build the replacement school FIRST! Trust me, if you want it done fast and right, it can be done. Once they have the new school that is equivalent or better than the old one, most if not all opposition will melt away. But if it was my kid, I'd be totally up in arms having go to school in some damn warehouse for several years.

Reactions: RUSK97
I think the people fighting this are being incredibly selfish. Let's say the protesters succeed in blocking the Cancer pavilion. That means they get to keep their 60+ year old outdated school. Future kids will be deprived of a free state of the art school. Cancer patients would be deprived of an incredible facility.
You do realize the school is brand new, only 3 years old, don't you?

You do realize the school is brand new, only 3 years old, don't you?

Wow, I guess to you a house built in the 1960's that had a few upgrades recently is brand new. I lived 4 houses away from St Peter's school in 1986 and It looks exactly the same today. I've walked by it hundreds of times since then. I would hope you would know what you are talking about before you "correct" people.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Here's the current site of the school, Ariel view
qwp2i0w5ybiamrkquv9t.jpg
notice there isn't any space dedicated to outdoor activities other than a patch of lawn on which a tree and bushes reside.
FWIW I believe (99% sure) that the parking lot that begins at the end of Condict st. Is also owned by the hospital,, so the footprint ofthe actual pavilion would probably also include it

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
nsqwkvvynj7ox5nrbzrb.jpg
the proposed site of the new school. My main worries would be soil contamination and congestion/traffic. I'm assuming that most students would from north of the school. Jersey ave is the only access road onto school grounds and most students, would arrive and leave, coming from handy st, and necessitating a left turn onto Jersey ave when leaving the campus. Handy, French, Suydam sts. traffic already bad will get worse

Last edited:
sdnbeunbhzoxumo0pyqe.jpg
I envision the new Lincoln Annex school be built on the site of the old, unused vo-tech site, with underground parking and ped. overpass to Buccleuch park, where outdoor activities could be held

I would hope you would know what you are talking about before you "correct" people.
I really suggest you get the stick out of your ass so that we can have an adult conversation about this.
Wow, I guess to you a house built in the 1960's that had a few upgrades recently is brand new. I lived 4 houses away from St Peter's school in 1986 and It looks exactly the same today. I've walked by it hundreds of times since then. I would hope you would know what you are talking about before you "correct" people.
Sorry, as I said to Korbermeister, I was going off what the article said about the school being new in 2016. Obviously if they repurposed and upgraded old buildings it is not "new" per se.

Regardless, it is still better than being housed in a warehouse. And I stand by what I said about the company being proactive and build the school first.

Reactions: RUSK97
the proposed site of the new school. My main worries would be soil contamination and congestion/traffic. I'm assuming that most students would be in the north of the school. Jersey ave is the only access road onto school grounds and most students, would arrive and leave, coming from handy st, and necessitating a left turn onto Jersey ave when leaving the campus. Handy, French, Suydam sts. traffic already bad will get worse
Both are significant concerns - an independent study should be done on the level and content of the soil contamination. I would not trust the DEP to do it as they have links into the Chem E Department at Rutgers (or at least they funneled a lot of money that way when I was there) and it'd be a conflict of interest. Obviously if major remediation becomes an item or if it's considered dangerous that kills the site. As for traffic, again, it'd be best to bring in independent consultants to find out if there's a way traffic could be managed to make it safer than it is.

I really suggest you get the stick out of your ass so that we can have an adult conversation about this.

Sorry, as I said to Korbermeister, I was going off what the article said about the school being new in 2016. Obviously if they repurposed and upgraded old buildings it is not "new" per se.

Regardless, it is still better than being housed in a warehouse. And I stand by what I said about the company being proactive and build the school first.
'being housed in a warehouse' negative connotations giving us visions of kids sitting in tiny desks and chairs in an empty Costco or Amazon building lol. From what I hear (have no kids in that school so no reason to see the inside) the warehouse is outfitted such that one couldn't tell the difference between it and a regular elementary school from the inside. IMHO if it looks like a school and current faculty move with the students, I wouldn't care what the building looked like on the outside

'being housed in a warehouse' negative connotations giving us visions of kids sitting in tiny desks and chairs in an empty Costco or Amazon building lol. From what I hear (have no kids in that school so no reason to see the inside) the warehouse is outfitted such that one couldn't tell the difference between it and a regular elementary school from the inside. IMHO if it looks like a school and current faculty move with the students, I wouldn't care what the building looked like on the outside
I'd really have to see it to make a judgement on it. I always think of a warehouse like Costco or BJ's. LOL

Reactions: Korbermeister

You corrected me first and then felt the need to tell me to get the stick out of my ass, because you were wrong, nice apology.

As for the warehouse comment, again very misleading information from the article. It's already being used as a school. It's not some run down warehouse. Try not to believe everything you read in an article.

I don't see the problem. Just 3 years ago these kids where going to other schools. They will be getting a beautiful new school in exchange. And the community will be getting a much needed Cancer center. I think helping people have the highest Cancer care out weighs a little inconvenience for 3 years. Most people I know have someone in their lives that has gotten cancer. This type of facilities are much needed.

You corrected me first and then felt the need to tell me to get the stick out of my ass, because you were wrong, nice apology.

As for the warehouse comment, again very misleading information from the article. It's already being used as a school. It's not some run down warehouse. Try not to believe everything you read in an article.

I don't see the problem. Just 3 years ago these kids where going to other schools. They will be getting a beautiful new school in exchange. And the community will be getting a much needed Cancer center. I think helping people have the highest Cancer care out weighs a little inconvenience for 3 years. Most people I know have someone in their lives that has gotten cancer. This type of facilities are much needed.
The warehouses are on Jersey Avenue...and they are indeed warehouses. If I figure out how to post pics I will. They were set up for the students of AC Redshaw school while that school was being rebuilt. Want to guess the timeline for AC Redshaw? Three years. Sounds familiar. How long did it actually take? Ten years. Two entire generations of grade schoolers spent their time in those warehouses (2005-2015). Now the proposed timeline for the Lincoln Annex school is three years as well. On former industrial land. How much do you want to bet that it’s closer to ten years than three?

No one is against building the pavilion. Nobody is against the convenience of a one-stop shop (so that patients can receive their care in one set of buildings rather than be wheeled across the skybridge to RWJUH). The question is does it have to be done at the expense of the kids?

The warehouses are on Jersey Avenue...and they are indeed warehouses. If I figure out how to post pics I will. They were set up for the students of AC Redshaw school while that school was being rebuilt. Want to guess the timeline for AC Redshaw? Three years. Sounds familiar. How long did it actually take? Ten years. Two entire generations of grade schoolers spent their time in those warehouses (2005-2015). Now the proposed timeline for the Lincoln Annex school is three years as well. On former industrial land. How much do you want to bet that it’s closer to ten years than three?

No one is against building the pavilion. Nobody is against the convenience of a one-stop shop (so that patients can receive their care in one set of buildings rather than be wheeled across the skybridge to RWJUH). The question is does it have to be done at the expense of the kids?

Well I guess we don't agree. I feel delaying or risking losing the Cancer center is far worse than transferring students to the "longtime interim school"

From linked article:

"During the construction of the new school, Lincoln Annex students would attend the district's longtime interim school site at 40 Van Dyke Ave.

Protesters have described that school as a warehouse, but it's a converted space that is home to the city's P-Tech (Pathways in Technology Early College) High School. That program simultaneously provides students with a diploma and an associate's degree."

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...ion-includes-new-brunswick-school/4656390002/

Am I reading this correctly? A possible merger of Rutgers CINJ, RWJ Barnabas, and Saint Peters Health may be on the horizon? I would think that would be great news for Rutgers grads in the medical, nursing, and other health fields. Maybe even Rutgers dentists in some emergencies for in hospital patients.

RWJ may also be adding two more hospitals in Jersey City and Hoboken . Negotiations are underway with Carepoint.

Well I guess we don't agree. I feel delaying or risking losing the Cancer center is far worse than transferring students to the "longtime interim school"

From linked article:

"During the construction of the new school, Lincoln Annex students would attend the district's longtime interim school site at 40 Van Dyke Ave.

Protesters have described that school as a warehouse, but it's a converted space that is home to the city's P-Tech (Pathways in Technology Early College) High School. That program simultaneously provides students with a diploma and an associate's degree."

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...ion-includes-new-brunswick-school/4656390002/

Some more info

"
Council President John Anderson, who said the Van Dyke Avenue space has never been used for any other purposes but for education, referred to it as a “learning center.” It has also been informally called a “swing space,” presumably because of its versatility.

It has been used at various points as classroom space for students from Redshaw, Robeson and the middle school. It is currently home to 40 students enrolled in the district's P-TECH (Pathways in Technology Early College High School) program.

The district gave members of the media and others tours of the facility at a ribbon-cutting ceremony to launch the P-TECH program in September. The event was attended by Gov. Phil Murphy, Department of Education Commissioner Lamont O. Repollet, Middlesex County College President Mark McCormick, New Brunswick Superintendent of Schools Aubrey Johnson and others.

Reporters who were given guided tours and allowed into a few classrooms during the middle of science and engineering lessons found the building to be bright, clean and open. Everything from the desks to the paint on the walls seemed new.

"

Nice Rutgers shout out below.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT