ADVERTISEMENT

Carino Article

21-11 would not have us on the bubble. Our overall SOS would still be good/OK.
If saying this year we somehow get to 21-11 would mean we were 11-1 over last 10 games pre B1G tourney. If you mean next season… all of this board would take 21-11 .

Try reading the article-- it makes perfect sense and gives Pike's analysis of the team's problems this year. By the way he does say that both Cam and Paul said they were returning and then reneged. He didn't run anyone off.

I read it as he schedule with having Cam and Paul on the roster. Had he known he'd have had this roster, he may not have scheduled up. You're probably replacing Austin and Jeremiah Williams with Cam and Paul from day 1.

Therefore, I'm agreeing with 66 here.

Pike is letting everyone know that this is now his team. Mag and Big O are finally healthy and JWill is back playing. Reading between the lines he's saying that he expects us to play much better from here on.
let's hope

It is way way early for this, too - but the nba draft room link 2025 has Bailey as the #2 pick (comparison: Tracy McGrady) and #3 pick as Dylan Harper (comparison - James Harden).

If that Harden comp holds, then maybe FIG has a point about Dylan needing to learn how to play defense!
Yeaaa these guys are not just projected 1st rounders. They are projected 2 and 3 overall picks. If they both aren't lottery picks, that would be disappointing. Ace is just too tall long athletic and skilled not to be a lottery pick. He has NBA superstar written all over him

The funny thing is that people automatically assume Pike is replacing Princeton and Mississippi State with schools ranked in the 350 range.

The key has always been to stay away from 13 losses.....12 losses and you are in decent shape.....11 and 80% of the time you are in.

I didn't put any thought in to it.

I stick with my general premise.....if you are going to be bad in November, better in December, gelling in January and peaking in February you don't schedule tough games when you are bad
We have struggled with weak teams early in a season
This has happened over the past couple of years

If saying this year we somehow get to 21-11 would mean we were 11-1 over last 10 games pre B1G tourney. If you mean next season… all of this board would take 21-11 .
Considering the shape this team was in after the PSU fiasco, finishing north of .500 would be an accomplishment

We have struggled with weak teams early in a season
This has happened over the past couple of years

This. I don’t get the push from people on this to stick with aiming for the “easiest”. Even Pike’s worst teams have historically performed the same at the RAC against 120-200ish types vs 300+. Scheduling the former mitigates risk most effectively because should we lose, these teams are good enough where a road loss at Rutgers will have a good chance to prop them to Q3 level. We should never schedule a team that projects to be in the 300+ range. It’s one thing if the team ends up underperforming - no excuse for booking LIU who was forecasted to finish dead last in an awful conference.

I don’t want to play any of the mid majors ever in neutrals unless it’s the opening round of a pre season tournament.

Reactions: fluoxetine
I like the coach as much as the next guy but trying to present a non-conference schedule now ranked 284th as super rigorous is more spin.

Wake is pretty good but Mississippi State is mediocre and Steve wants to make it sound like he scheduled Kansas and North Carolina.
That’s kenpom’s NC SOS ranking and it is a straight average of the ratings of the teams you play. That kind of SOS measure is dragged down a lot by playing the the Stonehills of the world even though they aren’t appreciably easier for a good team to beat than is the #275 team or so.

Torvik has a SOS measure called Elite L% which I think is a better measure of SOS if you are looking at win/loss records as opposed to efficiency numbers. Our non conference schedule by that measure is #108 which makes a lot more sense to me.

This is another reason why scheduling the Superbad cupcakes isn’t good; it makes a lot of measures of your SOS go down without really getting you a lot more wins.

Also I will say it’s always better to replace a loss with a win against a cupcake. But this requires you to know what games you’ll lose beforehand. So Pike is not wrong that we would have been better off with an all cupcake schedule this year (assuming we beat them all) but that has as much meaning as the people who were arguing in 21-22 about replacing Lafayette with Kansas. It only works if you look back in time and see the results of the games.

Reactions: Scangg
RU should be able to beat Princeton pretty much every time we play
The fact that we lost was an indication that we were just bad right then, not that Princeton was good

Since playing them, Princeton has lost to Yale, Cornell
St Joes, and beat Furman by one PT

We have lost a number of early season games that we should have won, U mass etc over recent years
Stone hill was an absurd close call this year

So the indication is that we are not good early year after year, but that should change
Princeton isn’t so good that it completely excuses the loss but they are pretty good this year. Much, much better than usual.

This. I don’t get the push from people on this to stick with aiming for the “easiest”. Even Pike’s worst teams have historically performed the same at the RAC against 120-200ish types vs 300+. Scheduling the former mitigates risk most effectively because should we lose, these teams are good enough where a road loss at Rutgers will have a good chance to prop them to Q3 level. We should never schedule a team that projects to be in the 300+ range. It’s one thing if the team ends up underperforming - no excuse for booking LIU who was forecasted to finish dead last in an awful conference.

I don’t want to play any of the mid majors ever in neutrals unless it’s the opening round of a pre season tto
Princeton isn’t so good that it completely excuses the loss but they are pretty good this year. Much, much better than usual.
And we had the set back with losing two guards late

I,could be wrong, but I think we still were a couple of points favorite in that Game, but we just were not ready to play as a team yet, relying on the new players to mesh, and it did not work

And we had the set back with losing two guards late

I,could be wrong, but I think we still were a couple of points favorite in that Game, but we just were not ready to play as a team yet, relying on the new players to mesh, and it did not work
We were favored by 6 points, but if there were to be a rematch today Princeton would likely be favored by a couple points.

We were favored by 6 points, but if there were to be a rematch today Princeton would likely be favored by a couple points.
They would have a hard time beating us right now I'm thinking. Remember, Mag was still on the sidelines and we didn't have JWill available

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT