ADVERTISEMENT

Carino: As Indiana visits, can arena renovation channel Assembly Hall?

It’s like Jerry read my mind.

Or at least most of my posts on the same subject.😉

Also good to hear from the one person whose opinion on MBB matters to me the most.

The best way to increase revenue is with additional seating which ads revenue from parking, concessions and ticket sales.The Pernetti rendering accomplshed this objective by moving out the current entrance side of the RAC twenty feet providing a wider concourse, more rest rooms .concessions and seating.The current seating isn't impacted. .

Awesome piece, and great comments by our man BK!

Pat, are you listening?

Listen GIF by Laff

One fact Jerry Carino left out is the Assembly Hall renovation was funded entirely by private donors who gave $40 million to the project.

The donors are the Simon family, whose real estate company owns Menlo Park, Short Hills, Jersey Gardens, and several other New Jersey retail properties.

In New Jersey, in contrast to Indiana, a construction project will cost a lot more to do and require taxpayers to fund it, complicating the project.

The best way to increase revenue is with additional seating which ads revenue from parking, concessions and ticket sales.The Pernetti rendering accomplshed this objective by moving out the current entrance side of the RAC twenty feet providing a wider concourse, more rest rooms .concessions and seating.The current seating isn't impacted. .
But hosting potential corporate sponsors and potentially hitting the jackpot with a big $ corporate sponsorship for Rutgers is the sell. Sounds great in theory and plays well to the suits who see the big $$$ potential. While the potential is there - ruining the allure of the RAC is by far and away a bigger overall negative. However that negative is a lot harder to quantify and sell.

Why would you want to? Assembly Hall is a terrible place to watch a basketball game for at least somewhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the seats. If the goal is to add certain amenities without drastically altering the seating structure, that makes sense. But there are far better places to model the architecture of the arena itself after. IU often has problem filling the balcony seats when the team is down and/or the opponent is more of the ho-hum variety.

Some of you need to read the article. They don’t mean make the inside look like Assembly Hall, they mean to add on amenities without messing with the structure of the arena part, which is apparently what Indiana did.

But hosting potential corporate sponsors and potentially hitting the jackpot with a big $ corporate sponsorship for Rutgers is the sell. Sounds great in theory and plays well to the suits who see the big $$$ potential. While the potential is there - ruining the allure of the RAC is by far and away a bigger overall negative. However that negative is a lot harder to quantify and sell.
Rutgers basketball has a corporate sponsor - Jersey Mike's. The company has arena naming rights and other rights through 2041.

Rutgers basketball has a corporate sponsor - Jersey Mike's. The company has arena naming rights and other rights through 2041.
Tons of other sponsorship opportunities beyond just arena naming rights.

Some of you need to read the article. They don’t mean make the inside look like Assembly Hall, they mean to add on amenities without messing with the structure of the arena part, which is apparently what Indiana did.
Many programs in the country have done that. I'm not familiar with what types of premium seating Rutgers currently has or doesn't have.

One fact Jerry Carino left out is the Assembly Hall renovation was funded entirely by private donors who gave $40 million to the project.

The donors are the Simon family, whose real estate company owns Menlo Park, Short Hills, Jersey Gardens, and several other New Jersey retail properties.

In New Jersey, in contrast to Indiana, a construction project will cost a lot more to do and require taxpayers to fund it, complicating the project.
OMG do you EVER stop?

Reactions: TRU2RU
What are these opportunities, in addition to the apparel deal?
Next time you go to a game just look around the arena at all the corporate sponsorship signage and listen at each break to who is sponsoring XYZ . They have an electronic so add constantly changing ads Not to mention the food kiosks, beverage contracts, beer contracts, etc And I’m sure I’m missing things. Let’s also add in hosting corporate sponsors for anything Rutgers related around campus - naming buildings, vending machines, etc. - anything you can imagine - even a urologist!!! Lol. Seriously corporate sponsor/name placement/signage opportunities are vast.

Next time you go to a game just look around the arena at all the corporate sponsorship signage and listen at each break to who is sponsoring XYZ . They have an electronic so add constantly changing ads Not to mention the food kiosks, beverage contracts, beer contracts, etc And I’m sure I’m missing things. Let’s also add in hosting corporate sponsors for anything Rutgers related around campus - naming buildings, vending machines, etc. - anything you can imagine - even a urologist!!! Lol. Seriously corporate sponsor/name placement/signage opportunities are vast.
100% spot-on.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I get it. Last time I was at the RAC, I counted 12 video boards. Distracting for the fans in the arena but I'm sure some revenue is generated.

The main sponsorship economics of the RAC - the signage and the land - is dominated by Jersey Mike's. For example, Jersey Mike's controls the facades and roof of the arena. Jersey Mike's controls the underbelly of the scoreboard. Jersey Mike's has it logo on the floor in two places and on both basket stanchions. Jersey Mike's now has control of the plaza in front of the RAC.

The Jersey Mike's deal gets Rutgers athletics $1,155,688 this year, rising 2.5% each year until 2041.

These sponsorship deals pay a couple month's of Pike's salary. Far more $ is need to complete a renovation of the RAC.

Great article. I'm dead set against luxury boxes and suites that displace regular seating and take the air out of the building. The rendering I saw had suites right in the middle of the side bleachers displacing the heart of the rabid fans.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Great article. I'm dead set against luxury boxes and suites that displace regular seating and take the air out of the building. The rendering I saw had suites right in the middle of the side bleachers displacing the heart of the rabid fans.
They don’t take the air out of the building. Not sure where this myth started.

You build luxury boxes. It’s stadium management 101. Not adding luxury boxes and club and hospitality areas of different tiers would be malpractice by Hobbs. Sounds like he understands what’s needed.

Good article; hopefully we get a major upgrades in amenities, with some premium seating/touches, but without altering the fundamental nature of the trapezoid of terror and the insane noise our fans generate at times.

They don’t take the air out of the building. Not sure where this myth started.

You build luxury boxes. It’s stadium management 101. Not adding luxury boxes and club and hospitality areas of different tiers would be malpractice by Hobbs. Sounds like he understands what’s needed.
You can have boxes in plenty of other places. And hospitality areas. Not right in the middle of the action.

Boxes for college basketball is suspect at best. Be like Duke!! Be the Palestra!

Change the outside, don't mess with the inside. That's what they did at AH, now do the same at the RAC.
Um, not every RU fan feels this way. I wanted the RAC to be torn down and an entirely new arena to be built. It's an old, ugly, substandard facility. And comparing the RAC's history to a place like Assembly Hall is just laughable.

Um, not every RU fan feels this way. I wanted the RAC to be torn down and an entirely new arena to be built. It's an old, ugly, substandard facility. And comparing the RAC's history to a place like Assembly Hall is just laughable.
You are proof that there is at least one RU fan that doesn't feel this way. Actually, I guess we don't really have proof you are an RU fan.

• Haha
Reactions: BigRnj
Boxes for college basketball is suspect at best. Be like Duke!! Be the Palestra!
Why doesn't every B1G Ten school except Northwestern and Rutgers share your viewpoint of having a basketball arena with less than 10,000 seats ?Seating and parking are the best way to generate income.

See what Baylor just did?
I liked Northwestern’s renovation.
Ohio State fans hate where they play now and wish they still played at St.John.
Did you see the PSU atmosphere at the Palestra as opposed to the morgue that is Bryce Jordan.
So boxes for college hoops are suspect. It’s not a four hour event that college football is.
Duke and Kansas are what all arenas aspire to be.
UNC is mocked as a wine & cheese crowd and have no where near the atmosphere they should have.
Other Universities would kill for the atmosphere that RU has.
So I am not convinced at all of the necessity of boxes and are petrified we will ruin a great home court advantage.
MSG isn’t better. Met Life isn’t better than Giants Stadium. Yankee Stadium and CitiField is sad when nobody sits behind home plate.
118 isn’t packed and is devoid of passion.
We need atmosphere.

See what Baylor just did?
I liked Northwestern’s renovation.
Ohio State fans hate where they play now and wish they still played at St.John.
Did you see the PSU atmosphere at the Palestra as opposed to the morgue that is Bryce Jordan.
So boxes for college hoops are suspect. It’s not a four hour event that college football is.
Duke and Kansas are what all arenas aspire to be.
UNC is mocked as a wine & cheese crowd and have no where near the atmosphere they should have.
Other Universities would kill for the atmosphere that RU has.
So I am not convinced at all of the necessity of boxes and are petrified we will ruin a great home court advantage.
MSG isn’t better. Met Life isn’t better than Giants Stadium. Yankee Stadium and CitiField is sad when nobody sits behind home plate.
118 isn’t packed and is devoid of passion.
We need atmosphere.
That one came out nice as ballparks go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT