ADVERTISEMENT

Carino: For Rutgers football, late-arriving fans didn't help vs. Ohio State

So you're the reason I had four OSU fans sitting next to me high fiving and celebrating like they were about to win the Super Bowl. Good Job, thanks for that one, much appreciated!
Same here. We got stuck next to OSU fans. One of the kids was 12 and yelling scoreboard after every TD. Bad parenting.

Reactions: koleszar
Getting on line at 3 on the east side of the stadium probably got you in your seat at 3:45
At 2:50 there was absolutely no line at the east gate when we got in. One guy was having trouble with the scanner but he read my tickets no problem. Crazy that 10 minutes later there was that big an issue.

I really don’t know why people are complaining about scanners. They had to scan the physical tickets in prior years as well.

Reactions: Jimpeg
I really don’t know why people are complaining about scanners. They had to scan the physical tickets in prior years as well.

Physical tickets: One person hands over four tickets, the ticket taker holds them and clicks a button four times, done.

Digital tickets: One person has four tickets in their Google wallet. They show up with the first QR code ready, and the ticket taker scans it. They click back, swipe to the next ticket, click to show code.... and the ticker scans it. They click back, swipe to the next ticket, click to show code.... and the ticker scans it. They click back, swipe to the next ticket, click to show code.... and the ticker scans it. Done. That already takes probably 2-3x as long for that individual.

And if there are any connectivity issues, or if someone hadn't yet saved all the tickets to their google wallet, or if someone is older and not very mobile-phone-savvy, this all takes longer for that individual to get from ticket to ticket to ticket.

To avoid this, ticket holders can transfer one ticket to each member of their group before getting to the gate (which limits the delay chances to just those without phones, like children)

Possible avenues for improvement:
- Allow one QR code to account for all the tickets in the wallet, which would display for staff how many tickets were scanned
- Multiple self-serve scanners so you don't have to wait for chuckles in front of you to figure out how to get his ticket into his wallet so it can be scanned
- Expand the gates, especially on the East side. They could add more lanes at the current East Gate off to the right where there is currently chain-link fence, or they could add another gate on the other side of the Hale Center at the top of the hill across from the concession stand for people with seats nearer the south endzone

Yes, scanning may be contributing a small amount to the issue, but this has been going on at Rutgers stadium for many many years. Problem is MUCH more than just a scanning issue. We left our tailgate in yellow about 3;05 and passed by many many people that were still tailgating. Leaving at that time got us through the gates and in our seats by 3:25. Folks in yellow know how long it takes to get in...... the blame lies solely on their lackluster desire to leave their tailgate and be in their seats at kickoff.
Or it shouldn’t take a half hour from the yellow lot? That’s on Rutgers not the fans.

Jerry referred to their TD: "Ohio State was in the end zone. The 2,000 or so Buckeyes fans in attendance unleashed a roar."
When they scored their first two TDs, it seemed like they had 10-20,000 in the stadium based on the roar of the crowd.
I generally like your posts but I have to disagree on that. It wasn’t THAT loud. In fact, I thought that was the shame of everything yesterday.

Yes, there were OSU fans there but I wouldn’t say the stadium was overrun with them. But we had a ton of RU fans there and probably a bunch of one timers who would think about going a second time, yet we crapped the bed in all facets.

Oh well, throw this one out, burn it and move on. Plenty of season to play. Looking forward to being there next week.

Win and all the other "problems" go away. You want the same gameday experience you get in other Big10 stadiums? Win. The issue is with winning, not with the fans.

Reactions: Plum Street
I95 was shut for two hours saturday morning so ended up missing the game

I generally like your posts but I have to disagree on that. It wasn’t THAT loud. In fact, I thought that was the shame of everything yesterday.

Yes, there were OSU fans there but I wouldn’t say the stadium was overrun with them. But we had a ton of RU fans there and probably a bunch of one timers who would think about going a second time, yet we crapped the bed in all facets.

Oh well, throw this one out, burn it and move on. Plenty of season to play. Looking forward to being there next week.
May have been where we were sitting. We sit in the club, near the corner of the north end zone. There were a lot of fans below us, and the first two scores elicited at least a dull roar.

Agree with you throwing it out and moving on. Many goals still achievable.

Reactions: RUPete
Or it shouldn’t take a half hour from the yellow lot? That’s on Rutgers not the fans.
3:05 to 3:25 is 20 minutes ( not half an hour) from the back of the yellow lot. A little less than 10 minutes to walk to the North gate, about 5 to 10 to get through the line and scan... and then 5 or so to walk over to our seats. 5 to ten through the line is very reasonable. Most people in yellow have been doing this for years and they know how long it takes to navigate the walk in and down. There is NO way any of the people we passed who were still tailgating would have been able to pack up get into the game before kickoff, when my departure time barely got me in 10 minutes prior. (When did it happen..... 3:37 ??) The group of 6 or 7 who sit next to me have NEVER gotten into the game in time over the years. They , like many others, sthey tay in their tailgate until kickoff or later. They tell me all the time. Its sad.

Explains why we couldn't win a home game last year when no one was allowed in the stadium.
Since I'm so integral to the outcome of the game, perhaps they should be paying me.
I never liked your halftime adjustments…

I was gonna say, I have been to many a Penn State game versus other teams than Rutgers and that place can be slow as hell to fill up. Trust me, they are not in all in their seats for Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, etc. let alone the non conference games.

We were playing against a #11 ranked OSU team. Not sure you can really play the, already pathetic, "weak opponent so arriving late." card. These are literally the type of games we wanted when joining the big ten.

Under Schiano 1.0 or under Flood (first couple of years) it would have been packed at kickoff and a sellout. People have just gotten complacent and more prone to excuses since Ash took over.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Physical tickets: One person hands over four tickets, the ticket taker holds them and clicks a button four times, done.

Digital tickets: One person has four tickets in their Google wallet. They show up with the first QR code ready, and the ticket taker scans it. They click back, swipe to the next ticket, click to show code.... and the ticker scans it. They click back, swipe to the next ticket, click to show code.... and the ticker scans it. They click back, swipe to the next ticket, click to show code.... and the ticker scans it. Done. That already takes probably 2-3x as long for that individual.

And if there are any connectivity issues, or if someone hadn't yet saved all the tickets to their google wallet, or if someone is older and not very mobile-phone-savvy, this all takes longer for that individual to get from ticket to ticket to ticket.

To avoid this, ticket holders can transfer one ticket to each member of their group before getting to the gate (which limits the delay chances to just those without phones, like children)

- Allow one QR code to account for all the tickets in the wallet, which would display for staff how many tickets were scanned
- Multiple self-serve scanners so you don't have to wait for chuckles in front of you to figure out how to get his ticket into his wallet so it can be scanned
- Expand the gates, especially on the East side. They could add more lanes at the current East Gate off to the right where there is currently chain-link fence, or they could add another gate on the other side of the Hale Center at the top of the hill across from the concession stand for people with seats nearer the south endzone
Good suggestions. Definitely need self serv. But the scanners of the physical tickets were just as slow in prior years. And sometimes didn't work. I get this is "new" but I have used mobile tickets for years at the RAC.

Reactions: Jimpeg

Are you trying to use the sk app? Everyone should be loading tickets into Google pay. Once you do, you simply bring up the first ticket and swipe through the rest. 4 tickets takes 3 swipes/scans and nothing else.

Personally, I prefer the tailgate more than the game.

However, for RU games I like to be in the seats, with beer in hand, about 15 min before kickoff. I got to the gate yesterday at about 3:05, and made it to the seat around 3:50. Lines to enter were crazy yesterday and honestly inexcusable.
When there are thousands doing what you do of course there's going to be bottlenecks.

There have been complaints about getting in the stadium quickly for years. I'm sorry but to me it's the ol doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Are you trying to use the sk app? Everyone should be loading tickets into Google pay. Once you do, you simply bring up the first ticket and swipe through the rest. 4 tickets takes 3 swipes/scans and nothing else.
Nope. Google Pay. You can swipe through on the tickets, but it won't show the QR code that way. Once you click to show code, you can't swipe anymore. It looks like there might be an option for NFC without having to click to see the code, but the guy scanning my ticket told me he needed to see the code for each one to scan it.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Nope. Google Pay. You can swipe through on the tickets, but it won't show the QR code that way. Once you click to show code, you can't swipe anymore. It looks like there might be an option for NFC without having to click to see the code, but the guy scanning my ticket told me he needed to see the code for each one to scan it.
Something must be wrong then. I'm using Google pay too. The tickets show in the bottom when I open the app. As soon as I click the ticket (number of tickets shows in upper right), the first ticket loads with the code displayed. There is no show code option and I can swipe through all of them and they all have the code displayed. Will try to get some screenshots and post here.

Good point here. Is the issue with Google Pay primarily? I'd like to hear from other ticker holders with issues and what they are using. I have an iPhone and never had an issue (and I have been using mobile for years).

Reactions: RUChoppin
I was wondering about this but my process was the same as the poster you replied to described it as. I was definitely in my Google Pay account with each ticket loaded in there. For each ticket however, there is an extra and potentially unnecessary second click because you have to Show Code for each one.

So once you scan the first, not only do you have to click back to your set/batch of tickets to swipe forward to the next one, you then have to separately click on Show Code for each individual ticket. Seems really inefficient. The show code, in particular, seems redundant and unnecessary if each ticket could have the code already displayed on the ticket when you swipe to it.

I figured the reason for the extra click must be a security issue or layer so the mobile ticket can't be screenshot/duplicated with the code directly displayed on the ticket but rather has to be brought up on a popup screen for each individual ticket.

Good point here. Is the issue with Google Pay primarily? I'd like to hear from other ticker holders with issues and what they are using. I have an iPhone and never had an issue (and I have been using mobile for years).
Perhaps, or maybe older and newer versions of Google Pay? I'm assuming I have the latest version of the app and any updates are automatically updating to it, but perhaps my version of it is slightly different than @Vejai.

Apple Wallet may or may not be having different interfaces like the above seems to be the case with Google Pay.

Perhaps, or maybe older and newer versions of Google Pay? I'm assuming I have the latest version of the app and any updates are automatically updating to it, but perhaps my version of it is slightly different than @Vejai.

Apple Wallet may or may not be having different interfaces like the above seems to be the case with Google Pay.
Google pay is painful.
First, whenever it is opened, it dumps to the last game of the season- Maryland. Have to scroll up to find it. Shouldn't the app be smart enough to open to the tickets for today's date?

On top of that, there are 3 types of passes to look for-the parking pass, the seats and the club pass. Surprised Google would have such a shoddy app.

We were playing against a #11 ranked OSU team. Not sure you can really play the, already pathetic, "weak opponent so arriving late." card. These are literally the type of games we wanted when joining the big ten.

Under Schiano 1.0 or under Flood (first couple of years) it would have been packed at kickoff and a sellout. People have just gotten complacent and more prone to excuses since Ash took over.
Until people start to really believe we have a chance to win against OSU, they are just not going to have the same type of passion that some on this board are desperate to see.

Reactions: bac2therac
Carino can suck it.
I was in line to get in well past the Kick off.
And there were lots of TOSU fans in line with me - so guess what they are no different.

Reactions: goru1869
Sorry if this offends certain posters here. If you read the whole article, he acknowledges that there were issues with the scanners.

But, he also notes:
"Let’s be clear: Nothing in the stands was changing the result of Saturday’s 52-13 wipeout."

"But elsewhere in the Big Ten, the vast majority of fans are in their seats by kickoff. Penn State manages to get 100,000 people from a rocking tailgate party into the building in a timely manner. It can be done."

"Two plays after the fake punt, Ohio State was in the end zone. The 2,000 or so Buckeyes fans in attendance unleashed a roar. It’s worth noting: They made into in the stadium on time."

82e5fe28-c836-4937-9548-5b94fbd08e99-ru_osu_fans_3.jpg

The Rutgers student section, unlike the rest of the stadium, was just about filled at kickoff

a63e95c4-ac7c-4247-8fe4-e031844b2440-ru_osu_fans_2.jpg

@bac2therac has noted that people have lives and they are busy. He's right about that. People who have other responsibilities such as child care, pet care, children's sports, etc. may not be able to make it to the game by kickoff.

Totally disagree..also the team didnt show anyhow in the first half

I just checked and I do have a google pay update available. I'm on version 2.130.370156226 from what I can see from the apk backup I just did. Can't find the version anywhere in the app. Guess I won't be updating. Here's how the main screen looks with the tickets at the bottom and how it looks mid-swipe and you can definitely see the QR codes on each ticket.

home.jpg

tickets.jpg

It’s just a thing in NJ. People like getting in stadiums late. I doubt it’s going to change.

Scanning issues at RU games are similar to the same issues happening at Giants and Jets games. Takes forever to get into the stadium. For some reasons the scanners have a hard time picking up the QR codes on my e-tickets - took them 3-4 minutes to scan my 4 tix. Compound these types of issues by the number of people at the game and it becomes a problem.

The scanners don't use the QR code (they use some sort of RF signal from your phone).
The QR code is a backup.
This is why some people think they were waving people in without scanning their tickets The ticket was scanned and it registered on the scanner without having to "see" the ticket.

I had my tickets in my Apple Wallet like the SK app said. The issue I had was the person ahead of me who didn’t. So the attendant had to explain to him what to do adding a little more than a minute before he was able to scan and we all stood behind him. Multiply that by a few hundred (low end of the estimate IMO) and those lines get longer and longer and the scanning process takes much more time with the electronic tix. Am I bashing electronic tix versus paper tix? No. I like having them on my phone because I always have that on me. But the process certainly has its shortcomings for those that don’t do the suggested actions ahead of time and it reverberates. That would not necessarily happen with a paper ticket.

The scanners don't use the QR code (they use some sort of RF signal from your phone).
The QR code is a backup.
This is why some people think they were waving people in without scanning their tickets The ticket was scanned and it registered on the scanner without having to "see" the ticket.

No they waved me in and mi e never scanned

I had my tickets in my Apple Wallet like the SK app said. The issue I had was the person ahead of me who didn’t. So the attendant had to explain to him what to do adding a little more than a minute before he was able to scan and we all stood behind him. Multiply that by a few hundred (low end of the estimate IMO) and those lines get longer and longer and the scanning process takes much more time with the electronic tix. Am I bashing electronic tix versus paper tix? No. I like having them on my phone because I always have that on me. But the process certainly has its shortcomings for those that don’t do the suggested actions ahead of time and it reverberates. That would not necessarily happen with a paper ticket.
I agree. I like having the tickets and parking passes on my phone. And transferring them to/from others is much easier (not having to fedex them to someone is great). In the long run this will be a big improvement.

But it's definitely something that needs some kinks ironed out, which is predictable, but dear old Rutgers has never been real good at getting ahead of problems like this.

Much of these problems are dealing with people who are not-tech savvy. A huge help would have been to simply offer people a simple way to print their own paper tickets as an option. Most people probably would not do that, but it would make things so much better for some - and it would speed things up at the gates getting in.

Yes I know that you could pay 10 for printouts from the ticket office, but that was almost like a secret.

No they waved me in and mi e never scanned
OK - well they were having a big delay so I guess it makes sense.
In my case I was suddenly confused because as I arrived at the gate I kept opening the ticket in the mobile wallet, but the QR code would not display - it showed an empty white circle where it should be. I'd had a few :) so it was probably just me. But it totally confused me, and the scanner scanned it without using the QR code anyway.

Win and all the other "problems" go away. You want the same gameday experience you get in other Big10 stadiums? Win. The issue is with winning, not with the fans.
I was going to post at length at this....but you nailed.

Not just one year, two or even three years of winning...you need consistent winning to get people in the stands...otherwise....you get what we have now....the tailgate is a better time than inside....you extend the good time before misery sets in.

Win and we'd look like PSU, Iowa, OSU....etc

Does anyone else's Rutgers app crash when they attempt to access their tickets?

I have to use my PC to transfer my tickets from my account before I leave. It's a real pain in the ass.

if one QBR code is tried to 4 tickets then how can you transfer 1 of the tickets?...QBR code will not be recreated to account from going to 4 tickets to 3 or less under your premise...fact that digital tickets are here to stay...RU needs more scanners and personnel...and larger gates...

Not sure I understand your point on the mobile passes. They don't read a QR code on my phone. I have the first ticket and they read it. I just swipe for the next 4. Takes all of 10 seconds tops. When they actually had to scan the bar code, that was always the same or worse due to the reader. I do agree they need more scanners, resources and signs earlier in the process.

Does anyone else's Rutgers app crash when they attempt to access their tickets?

I have to use my PC to transfer my tickets from my account before I leave. It's a real pain in the ass.
I had that problem a while back.

Two things:
1. Delete the app and re-load it from the app store.

2. Don't under any circumstances try logging into the app on the main login page. Choose "skip" if it asks you to.
Instead only log in from the "manage tickets" page.

The A,-E gates could not process people any faster then what they were doing. Once a line formed, getting online earlier would not have gotten people in faster. It's broken. Fix it. Engineer a way to process 25-35k through A,B,C,D,E in under 20 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT