ADVERTISEMENT

Cause of long term decline in Sports Viewers

What's the biggest cause for the long term decline in major pro sports interest in the U.S.?

• High price of tickets dampens sport interest

• Strikes put off some fans that never return

• Inflated salaries make players less relatable

• Politics of players put off a fraction of the audience

• Youtube, video games, and streaming have grabbed a younger generation

• Neck tattoos, drug use, arrests disaffect a fraction of the audience

• Males less inclined to participate in "male culture"

• It's a bump in the road from all time highs seen in recent decades

• Breakdown of the family means fewer dad introduce sports to fewer sons

• Sports are a white heretosexual conservative enclave that is less interesting to a diverse society

Results are only viewable after voting.
I got no problem with them having viewpoints . But if they were gonna take a stand , they should back it up . Otherwise , it’s boy that cried wolf . They all basically ignored schiano and chop for change . The thread on that and his interview with Dinardo on BTN got taken down and the subject completely ignored.
I got no dog in the fight here, I could care less what slogan we have on the helmets or don’t have. I just want us to win and
just found it very perplexing all these people said they would be done if rutgers sports turned political. . Well, schiano made no secret his program is very political and allowed the slogan on the helmets.

It was "more OK" when GS had an opinion, but they were VERY angry when Geo and President Holloway had opinions. Real mystery, that.

I think the last time I had interest in the Olympics was when our college hockey team beat the Soviet Union pros to go on to win the Gold Medal. Have no interest in the Olympics now and won’t be watching a minute.—In regards to baseball, the only thing I hate more than the DH is having one league with it and one without. It would be like a rushing touchdown in the AFC only worth four points. Just go to both leagues with the DH. As for the pace of the games, everyone blames the pitchers. STOP allowing the batters to get out of the box after every pitch to adjust gloves, helmet, pants, hair, wristband, armpits, nose, etc.! Once you start your at bat, you can only step out once. And the pitcher needs to pitch when he is ready, whether the batter is or isn’t. Baseball games should not be three hours and above.

Baseball games should not be three hours and above.

Case in point. The Yankee - Houston game began at 2PM EDT. The Italy - England Euro final began at 3PM EDT. The Yankee game ended just as extra time expired. That's a shade under 4 hours with no extra innings

Last edited:
Of numerous legitimate reasons, my personal #1 is the unpredictability of the game time, especially with the NFL and CFB. When I was younger the Giants almost always played Sunday at 1pm, with maybe 1 MNF per year. Now they play Sunday 1 / 4/ 8 , MNF , Thursday, sometimes Saturday, flex, etc... Its absurd.

Reactions: redking
Of numerous legitimate reasons, my personal #1 is the unpredictability of the game time, especially with the NFL and CFB. When I was younger the Giants almost always played Sunday at 1pm, with maybe 1 MNF per year. Now they play Sunday 1 / 4/ 8 , MNF , Thursday, sometimes Saturday, flex, etc... Its absurd.

The West Coast away games were always at 4. As far as I know, only Beaced followed the Giants before the Rams and 49ers entered the league.

Because of the pandemic I think long time diehards like myself learned that there is life outside of spending an entire Saturday in a parking lot and a stadium. It is amazing how much you can do and get done and still see the game on TV. I gave up night games years ago but would drive up to tailgate for hours. Now I will figure out a few games to attend and give the rest of my tickets to my brothers or nieces and nephews.

For as long as I've watched the NFL, the Giants and Jets always play at different times. I'm pretty sure there have been 1:00 and 4:00 Sunday slots since the NFL-AFL merger.

Also, NFL has long played Saturday games late in the season. The Jets typically play on a Saturday late in the season.

I was amazed to learn there is a federal law dating back to 1961 that prohibits the NFL from competing with NCAA and high school game times.

I think the last time I had interest in the Olympics was when our college hockey team beat the Soviet Union pros to go on to win the Gold Medal. Have no interest in the Olympics now and won’t be watching a minute.—In regards to baseball, the only thing I hate more than the DH is having one league with it and one without. It would be like a rushing touchdown in the AFC only worth four points. Just go to both leagues with the DH. As for the pace of the games, everyone blames the pitchers. STOP allowing the batters to get out of the box after every pitch to adjust gloves, helmet, pants, hair, wristband, armpits, nose, etc.! Once you start your at bat, you can only step out once. And the pitcher needs to pitch when he is ready, whether the batter is or isn’t. Baseball games should not be three hours and above.

Never had an issue with the different approaches to the DH. I think it’s kind of a cool quirk, and I enjoy seeing my team (AL) send pitchers to the plate when visiting NL opponents. Somewhat similar to unique stadium dimensions.

As for time of game; I think it really has to do with the number of pitches. I don’t know how this will happen, but there needs to somehow be incentive for more guys to attack pitches (with line drive swings instead of homer swings) early in counts. A long game is an issue, but less of an issue if it’s long due to a lot of action in the field / on the base paths. When the action in the field is a small % of game time because every at bat is 5+ pitches, it gets tedious unless you have a strong rooting interest to keep you invested in the game.

I think someone should post the before/after viewership statistics before everybody tries to give a reason for why it's changed.

Mostly, it seems like people are just using the thread to whine about their personal favorite complaint as opposed to anybody offering up any actual data on any potentially provable causes of change, assuming there even has been any actual significant change.

Since we're all whining, though, I'll whine about commercials. I freaking hate commercials of all kinds and, for home RUFB games, I hate commercial break timeouts. Pro and college revenue sports have way too much time wasted on airing commercials.

I couldn't care less about the politics, or salaries, or strikes, or anything else external about the players. I'm watching the games and just don't care what players do or say off the field (or during the national anthem).

I don't really understand being offended by such stuff because it's so trivially easy to ignore. You pretty much have to want to be offended; or else have to want to subject yourselves to Pavlovian "news" and talk shows that spend the majority of their time provoking you into a constant state of being offended by everything.

Why? I mean, what's the point? Why would people willingly choose to be so offended all the time?

Someone mentioned soccer and Formula One. Those are two of my favorite sports to watch these days because, with soccer, there are no commercials at all during the two halves, all commercials are aired (and easily ignored) during halftime, and the beauty and artistry of the game, when played at its highest levels, is a wonderous thing to watch.

And for Formula One, at least at the moment in the US, one can use ESPN on-demand to watch recorded practice sessions, qualifying, and the race. There are commercials in the on-demand recordings, but they are very brief and easy to fast-forwarded past. Watching the sessions after the fact is often more easier than watching live because many races are in time-zones that put the live sessions in the middle of the night for us in the US.

Reactions: cshelley
Real life telling you there is a problem. There is less merchandise shipped to brick @ mortar today with the online shopping craze, still go any time of year, and you will see, sports merchandise, many items on clearance. Go back 5 to 10 years, especially NFL merchandise, would be gone quickly. This is in a healthier retail time, with many more units, still shipped to stores.

Parents discouraging their kids from playing high school football and instead encouraging them to play soccer Or lacrosse.

Adverts. They make the game longer merely to play the same commercials multiple times.

A few years ago we were playing Washington (maybe State) and by the third quarter I was yelling at the tv that I didn’t want a friggin reverse mortgage. Don’t watch anything with commercials anymore.

Reactions: RUaMoose
#1 for me - Games are too long, and there is so much more competition for entertainment. If I don't have a personal interest in one of the teams, I almost never watch a full pro game. Some of the length of baseball is from more commercials; some of it is from so many more pitching changes in the middle of innings.

Increased free agency has made it less like watching "your guys" for years as players move around so much more frequently, and I suspect there's a major decrease in rivalries because the players end up having friends on the other teams.

The All Star game is tonight. I won't watch any, I suspect. Barry Bonds joking it up with Torii Hunter after being robbed of a home run in the All Star game... man. Do the players still care that much about who wins or loses tonight? If they don't, why should I?

Reactions: rc64
Is the WNBA suffering from the same decline in viewership?

…oh wait!?☺️

The West Coast away games were always at 4. As far as I know, only Beaced followed the Giants before the Rams and 49ers entered the league.
The Rams joined the NFL in 1936.Was a pre-teen beaced following the Giants in '35?

#1 for me - Games are too long, and there is so much more competition for entertainment. If I don't have a personal interest in one of the teams, I almost never watch a full pro game. Some of the length of baseball is from more commercials; some of it is from so many more pitching changes in the middle of innings.

Increased free agency has made it less like watching "your guys" for years as players move around so much more frequently, and I suspect there's a major decrease in rivalries because the players end up having friends on the other teams.
Since the ‘94 strike the only MLB games I have gone to are one at the old Yankee Stadium so my Son’s could say they were there and CitiField so my Dad could see the new place in person.

We do enjoy going to the closest minor league teams in the area instead, BlueClaws and the Thunder.

This might be the worst "Pro Sports" complaint on a "college football" forum.

95% of NFL game times are publically announced approx 6 months in advance.
The only exception is maybe a late season game being flexed to a later time.

Alternatively - nearly every Rutgers game isn't announced until 12 days before.
Sometimes even 6 days.

If anyone has a "unpredictability of game time" problem - it's college football.

Since we're all whining, though, I'll whine about commercials. I freaking hate commercials of all kinds and, for home RUFB games, I hate commercial break timeouts. Pro and college revenue sports have way too much time wasted on airing commercials.
You do know how revenue sports got to be revenue sports in the first place, do you not?

You do know how revenue sports got to be revenue sports in the first place, do you not?
True enough. But while I don't think I can cite commercials as being the sole reason for me no longer watching pro football or basketball anymore, shifting entertainment interests was probably more of a factor, I do think the increase in the number of commercials probably was part of it.

I cannot stand advertising in most of its forms. Never watch commercials, never look at printed ads, block all internet ads, throw out those shopping coupons booklets when they arrive in the mail, etc.

It's a deep pathological hatred and I should probably seek counseling for it before I harm somebody over it. 🙂

Reactions: Doctor Worm
This might be the worst "Pro Sports" complaint on a "college football" forum.

95% of NFL game times are publically announced approx 6 months in advance.
The only exception is maybe a late season game being flexed to a later time.

Alternatively - nearly every Rutgers game isn't announced until 12 days before.
Sometimes even 6 days.

If anyone has a "unpredictability of game time" problem - it's college football.
That’s rough , I wrote cfb too

ESPN’s Euro 2020 viewership up 25 percent with 1.1 million average per game through quarterfinals​

ESPN’s Euro 2020 viewership up 25 percent with 1.1 million average per game through quarterfinals​

Not at all surprising. And, ironically, national team games are often not as well-played as club team games (club teams having the advantage of pulling the best possible players from all over the world, instead of just the single nation). At least after the qualifiers are done.

Not at all surprising. And, ironically, national team games are often not as well-played as club team games (club teams having the advantage of pulling the best possible players from all over the world, instead of just the single nation). At least after the qualifiers are done.
not to mention lots of practice time to embed tactics and cohesive play.

Reactions: mdk01

With a lot of people still working from home at the time the games were played, no competition from football or college sports and baseball nearing the All-Star break they didn't face a lot of alternatives. Add in summer vacation for HS and college kids who were looking for something during the day.

US becoming more diverse with more immigration the last couple of years. Stephen Smith criticize Shohei Ohtani because he shouldn’t be the face of baseball because he needs an interpreter.

Last edited:
US becoming more diverse with more immigration the last couple of years. Stephen Smith criticize Shohei Ohtani because he shouldn’t be the face of baseball because he ne Ed’s an interpreter.

SAS later apologized, but I kinda think he did it on purpose, so everyone would be talking about him.

SAS later apologized, but I kinda think he did it on purpose, so everyone would be talking about him.
SAS is a scumbag for that comment. Would’ve been reemed a new one if he was someone else. Shouldn’t get a free pass just because he “apologized.”

US becoming more diverse with more immigration the last couple of years. Stephen Smith criticize Shohei Ohtani because he shouldn’t be the face of baseball because he ne Ed’s an interpreter.

That dude needs to be cancelled. A good portion of his schtick is race-baiting.

SAS is a scumbag for that comment. Would’ve been reemed a new one if he was someone else. Shouldn’t get a free pass just because he “apologized.”
So,

I read the article and I see the point SAS is making. He is claiming it is easier to market someone who speaks English to appeal to the masses and promote the sport. Is this incorrect? Wouldn't a promotional or marketing company agree with this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT