ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports: It may be time for the Big Ten, SEC to poach the Big 12 again

I agree with some of the article including Oklahoma and Oklahoma State as potential candidates to the SEC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: REDRICH65
The article seems rather simplistic. It doesn't note the impediments represented by the B12's GOR and the LHN. While I concede that Texas is a desirable property on several levels, I hope that the B1G does not invite them as they seem to be a rather toxic force in college sports. The B1G is notable for its stability. Texas has proven itself a destabilizing force over the past 10 years or so. I don't think the B1G really wants the drama that comes with Texas.

Would Nebraska be able to veto them, if it ever came to that? I don't know how the voting works in the B1G where expansion is concerned. Can one university block the entry of someone it adamantly opposes as a member?

Reactions: MozRU
Stay away from Texas. They won't get in line like every single member of this great conference (B1G).

Texas's moronic greed will kill off the B12 at some point for only to Texas to land in anothet great conference. The smaller players will pay the price. Capitalism at its worst.

F Texas.

Bring in Oklahoma for the B1G West. Even it means a loop side division for the time being in East.

Last edited:
Bring in Oklahoma for the B1G West. Even it mean a loop side division for the time being in East.
You don't get Oklahoma without Oklahoma State.
Texas should go to the PAC which is the best Olympic sports conference.

You don't get Oklahoma without Oklahoma State.
vkj19, that is no longer true. I have read a lot about this.

Governors and other politicians tried to pull this "All or none" with their 2 state programs the last go around. Conferences called their bluff and moved on picking other programs. Politicians have smartened up. They know they NEED to get one of their programs in the Power 5. Too much money. God forbid they pull the "All or none" card again and the Power 5 move and then close the doors for good.

Oklahoma's politicians have recently come out stating they will not seek to keep Ok and Ok State together. They want OK in the most lucrative conferencce possible, with State to fall where ever.

Best case for the State of OK, is for the Sooners to end up in the Pac12 or B1G and the Cowboys to end up in the SEC (SEC gets another teams with ties to Texas High School talent, while A&M vetos to keep Texas out).

Governors and other politicians tried to pull this "All or none" with their 2 state programs the last go around. Conferences called their bluff and moved on picking other programs. Politicians have smartened up. They know they NEED to get one of their programs in the Power 5. Too much money. God forbid they pull the "All or none" card again and the Power 5 move and then close the doors for good.

Oklahoma's politicians have recently come out stating they will not seek to keep Ok and Ok State together. They want OK in the most lucrative conferencce possible, with State to fall where ever.

Best case for the State of OK, is for the Sooners to end up in the Pac12 or B1G and the Cowboys to end up in the SEC (SEC gets another teams with ties to Texas High School talent, while A&M vetos to keep Texas out).
you lost me at the bolded part. Lol

Really? Got some links by any chance on the Oklahoma politicians not caring if OU and OSU split up with OSU being left behind in a possibly unstable situation? I've not seen that before.

Look, lets get real here, the TV contracts have been freshly minted, we are not expanding for at least until they are completed and even then, it may not be worth expanding anymore. More schools = more mouths to feed. Who knows what the landscape will be a decade from now. The BTN might be more about getting it on all devices that connect to the internet and getting people to pay a Netflix style monthly fee than TV contracts.

Plus my understanding is they aren't tied AS LONG AS Ok St has a P5 home. That's quite a large asterisk.
That's been my thinking. In theory it sounds nice but in practice you find it hard to plot out a path of how that actually happens in reality.

Look, lets get real here, the TV contracts have been freshly minted, we are not expanding for at least until they are completed and even then, it may not be worth expanding anymore. More schools = more mouths to feed. Who knows what the landscape will be a decade from now. The BTN might be more about getting it on all devices that connect to the internet and getting people to pay a Netflix style monthly fee than TV contracts.
I'm with you in thinking that I'm still not sure what the will is to challenge a GOR from most college presidents and this article doesn't address that or the LHN which has always been a roadblock as well. So closer to the end of the GOR I could see it but now seems too early to me. I think there's still like 8 years left so I'd put it off for at least 6 and of course the B10 contract also runs out in 6. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That's been my thinking. In theory it sounds nice but in practice you find it hard to plot out a path of how that actually happens in reality.
Plus Oklahoma is just too huge a brand to not wield some power/influence. Also, it's not like Ok St is chopped liver. This isn't UW saying they need to find a spot WSU

I'm with you in thinking that I'm still not sure what the will is to challenge a GOR from most college presidents and this article doesn't address that or the LHN which has always been a roadblock as well. So closer to the end of the GOR I could see it but now seems too early to me. I think there's still like 8 years left so I'd put it off for at least 6 and of course the B10 contract also runs out in 6. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
This. I believe that, if challenged, a GOR is not going to hold up in court as described (a court is not going to let a conference retain a leaving school's TV rights AND not pay them TV money for them). However, I feel even more strongly that college presidents (especially in a conference that doesn't need the hassle like the B1G) have no stomach to add a school that is going to generate that court battle.

Plus Oklahoma is just too huge a brand to not wield some power/influence. Also, it's not like Ok St is chopped liver. This isn't UW saying they need to find a spot WSU
I agree to that to an extent but then we've seen it actually play out in reality. OU went with OSU hat in hand to the PAC12 and were rejected without Texas. So you have to ask has anything changed on that front. I don't know. The SEC is another story but they too had the opportunity at that time I suppose especially after the rejection from the PAC12 but I don't recall any rumors about the SEC at that time. So you have to think in terms of the landing spots what's changed from then til now to make it work. I haven't really seen anything to say yup this is why it didn't happen last time but it will now.

This. I believe that, if challenged, a GOR is not going to hold up in court as described (a court is not going to let a conference retain a leaving school's TV rights AND not pay them TV money for them). However, I feel even more strongly that college presidents (especially in a conference that doesn't need the hassle like the B1G) have no stomach to add a school that is going to generate that court battle.
I'm not a lawyer so I never "attacked" it from a legal perspective. I just look at it from a human nature perspective and seeing how college presidents usually act. I think they generally like the status quo and not upsetting the apple cart too much and that even goes for some schools that have switched conferences. It's when the hand is forced and they have no reasonable alternatives they act. Are we in that desperate situation now when it comes to some of these schools like Texas/OU or even from the other side of the coin in terms of conference landing spots. I tend to think not at the moment. From the perspective of how a college president may act, down the line when the GOR and LHN start running their course and it becomes easier seems more natural as opposed to forcing it now if you're not in a desperate situation.

I agree to that to an extent but then we've seen it actually play out in reality. OU went with OSU hat in hand to the PAC12 and were rejected without Texas. So you have to ask has anything changed on that front. I don't know. The SEC is another story but they too had the opportunity at that time I suppose especially after the rejection from the PAC12 but I don't recall any rumors about the SEC at that time. So you have to think in terms of the landing spots what's changed from then til now to make it work. I haven't really seen anything to say yup this is why it didn't happen last time but it will now.
I'm. I expert but I think what has changed is this is going to be it. I think these conferences have one big contract left in them before TV changes for ever. If we end up moving to an A La Carte type system name brands will be more importing than TV sets.

Reactions: Nosoj
I'm. I expert but I think what has changed is this is going to be it. I think these conferences have one big contract left in them before TV changes for ever. If we end up moving to an A La Carte type system name brands will be more importing than TV sets.
I'm no expert either but I could see that. But none of the contracts run out any time soon. The closest one is in 6 years and that being the B10 which hasn't even been officially announced. I think the PAC12 in 7 years. The SEC/ACC are close to 2030 or beyond. So for 2 conferences that actually lines up decently with the GOR being near completion running out in 8 years. I think we took about 1.5 years for the transition to the B10 so the so the 2 years could be bridged. Worst case you pay a years worth of rights to the GOR similar to an exit fee and then leave. It seems more feasible in that time frame as opposed to now.

This is why I always advocate for Oklahoma in these threads, assuming the B1G is expanding. I also think it's why the B1G went with a short TV contract, cash in one more time before the system changes.

Reactions: vkj91
OU would be a great addition. Who would be the eastern 16th team?

Stay away from Texas. They won't get in line like every single member of this great conference (B1G).

Texas's moronic greed will kill off the B12 at some point for only to Texas to land in anothet great conference. The smaller players will pay the price. Capitalism at its worst.

F Texas.
----
If Texas ever comes to the big 10 table, it would be with the understanding that they get no special favors.... They might ask for stuff they are not entitled to..... But like all other additions they must fall in line..... If not, go elsewhere.

OU would be a great addition. Who would be the eastern 16th team?
for the time being, no one. There is no "rule" it has to be balanced. You don't just anyone for the sake of getting OK. Leave it loop sided until ND or UNC becomes available.

Get OK Delany.

I have a theory that Texas and Oklahoma has already told the Big 12 that they are out at the end of the media deal. That is why they are now trying to get to 14 teams before the word gets out. This way when they leave they are not killing the league and Texas Tech and Oklahoma State have a P_5 conference to play in.

Reactions: LC-88 and eceres
Right. Should have been an "or". We'll take Purdue in the East. Woke up too early this morning.

That's ok, sometimes I post on my phone while walking and talking to other people. I am amaze people here can understand my gibberish. I guess they are used to it by now, or something :)

----
If Texas ever comes to the big 10 table, it would be with the understanding that they get no special favors.... They might ask for stuff they are not entitled to..... But like all other additions they must fall in line..... If not, go elsewhere.
They weren't willing to give Notre Dame a special deal, Texas certainly isn't getting one

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
I have a theory that Texas and Oklahoma has already told the Big 12 that they are out at the end of the media deal. That is why they are now trying to get to 14 teams before the word gets out. This way when they leave they are not killing the league and Texas Tech and Oklahoma State have a P_5 conference to play in.
If Texa$$ and Oklahoma leave the B12 the P5 becomes the P4.

----
If Ohio State and Michigan are willing to be equal partners with Rutgers, Purdue, and Northwestern, Texas has no ground to stand upon looking for special favors. If they come to the Big Ten, I would think it is with a full understanding that they get no special favors.

They are just maximizing revenue today because tomorrow isn't going be better.

4 teams at $20-25m TV r revenue a team is 80-100m a year. Those teams agree to 6 year but in at 5-10m each so Big Ten nets 40-80m extra for existing 10 members... $4-8m bump per current school is worth adding 4 now.

If Ohio State and Michigan are willing to be equal partners with Rutgers, Purdue, and Northwestern, Texas has no ground to stand upon looking for special favors. If they come to the Big Ten, I would think it is with a full understanding that they get no special favors.

Spot on......which is why Texas will never be a member of our conference. The BIG is strong and doesn't need to bend over backwards for any school.

Reactions: graystork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT